[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

I like this mod, but I despise doing 50 million experiments to squeeze out all of the science. I adjusted my configs to give all science in one go, but decreased eureka and bioproduct production by 90% to balance. Just a thought on how to balance without turning science into a grindfest. I also think the amount of kibble needed to do all science without changing the config is excessive. Especially when you consider the fact that these stations can be established at all planetary bodies. Otherwise thank you for the mod, and please don't take any of my thoughts on this personally.

I've been using shuttles to complete 4 experiments at once, and haven't found that I need more then 4 of those shuttles.

Normally just send the shuttles up, hook them to the station, then start experiments and set the timer in my KAC to go off once all the experiments are done and go do other things till that time.

Is there any video tutorials/any tutorial on how to use this mod :/

I have it installed and on my space station. But I press start experiment and stuff doesn't happen.

*I am one of those people who need to see how it works to get it to work :/

Is there any video tutorials/any tutorial on how to use this mod :/

I have it installed and on my space station. But I press start experiment and stuff doesn't happen.

*I am one of those people who need to see how it works to get it to work :/

I don't think anyone's put together a video of this yet.

That said, did you put a lab on the station with the experiment module docked to the station?

I had most of the little 'capsules' apart from the retrograde kuarqs, and the spectrometron... and the KSP Lab, if that's what you meant.

I have no idea if there's an order stuff has to be done in though, and how the whole thing is supposed to work. So it may just be my ineptness :P

I had most of the little 'capsules' apart from the retrograde kuarqs, and the spectrometron... and the KSP Lab, if that's what you meant.

I have no idea if there's an order stuff has to be done in though, and how the whole thing is supposed to work. So it may just be my ineptness :P

In addition to the little capsules, you also need the Science Lab included in this mod; not the "Processing Lab" provided in the stock game. For Kuarq experiments (and to use the Spectrometron), you also need the Cyclotron attached, and for the animal experiments, the Zoology Bay.

Plus the lab needs to be stocked with at least three Kerbals.

I don't know if putting 4 in does anything. It'd be nice if it gave a bonus to Eurekas. And it would be doubly nice if it could check the crew's stupidity and if it's very low, gives a small bonus there as well.

Finally it would probably make sense if the actual lab consumed power. Right now it doesn't.

Edited by Frostiken

I don't know if putting 4 in does anything. It'd be nice if it gave a bonus to Eurekas. And it would be doubly nice if it could check the crew's stupidity and if it's very low, gives a small bonus there as well.

It's been suggested before, but I like to keep to simple integer-per-time-unit rates where possible to maintain clarity. The bonus would have to be bigger than I'd like to maintain that. Also, Interstellar's Science Module already does what you suggest, and I don't want to just copy that.

Finally it would probably make sense if the actual lab consumed power. Right now it doesn't.

There isn't a good way to do power consumption while the station is unattended; this is why the Cyclotron doesn't work while unattended. But I want the Science Lab and Zoology Bay to work unattended to allow for long-duration experiments, so they can't depend on electric charge for their functionality.

Hello first off, love the mod. I am having a issue with the plant growth module. I launched the station into orbit with the hopes of docking the module to the station and running the experiment, but when it gets to about .35 Eureka a message comes up about the location changing and it being reset. RCS and SAS are both off so there is no wobbling. I also tested by turning on SAS with no luck. However if I launch the station and module together as one unit it works fine.

Hello first off, love the mod. I am having a issue with the plant growth module. I launched the station into orbit with the hopes of docking the module to the station and running the experiment, but when it gets to about .35 Eureka a message comes up about the location changing and it being reset. RCS and SAS are both off so there is no wobbling. I also tested by turning on SAS with no luck. However if I launch the station and module together as one unit it works fine.

What is the periapsis and apoapsis of the orbit? If you're crossing between high and low orbit (boundary is at 250 km), that would cause it to reset.

If that's not the problem, can you send me a persistence file that demonstrates the issue?

What is the periapsis and apoapsis of the orbit? If you're crossing between high and low orbit (boundary is at 250 km), that would cause it to reset.

If that's not the problem, can you send me a persistence file that demonstrates the issue?

That is the problem then, my apoapsis was 250,051km and periapis was 249,871km. I just tried to make a quick adjustment on my new station and ripped it apart lol. So I will have to relaunch everything tonight when I get home, but I will change it so the apoapsis is set to 245km

That is the problem then, my apoapsis was 250,051km and periapis was 249,871km. I just tried to make a quick adjustment on my new station and ripped it apart lol. So I will have to relaunch everything tonight when I get home, but I will change it so the apoapsis is set to 245km

My mid station is normally around the 150km mark, with the high orbit station at 275-300 km. I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Yeah, sorry about that. This mechanic seems to be causing more problems than I'd anticipated; you're not the first to be hit by it. I'll probably add an exception in the next update so that moving between high and low orbit doesn't trigger a reset. There's no difference in science value (even though the internal data structures say there should be...) so it's not a balance issue like moving an experiment to another planet would be.

Yeah, sorry about that. This mechanic seems to be causing more problems than I'd anticipated; you're not the first to be hit by it. I'll probably add an exception in the next update so that moving between high and low orbit doesn't trigger a reset. There's no difference in science value (even though the internal data structures say there should be...) so it's not a balance issue like moving an experiment to another planet would be.

Is it possible to have it 'record' where you started the experiment? Or would it be where you finish the experiment?

Like ninjakids and others from earlier in the thread, I've also been having the Deploy issue. I took a look at the code, and I'm pretty sure it's because the "new" keyword on the Deploy and Reset actions only hide the base ScienceModule functionality instead of replacing it - so when calls come in from the engine, they go straight to the base events.

I've compiled the plugin from source with a few changes; renaming the events and preventing the base ones from showing up.

WARNING: At least one user has had issues with this modified version. Use with caution - back up your saves before installing.

Here's a dropbox link to the recompiled plugin with included source (licensing is GPLv3, the same as original StationScience).

To use it, delete the original StationScience.dll from GameData\StationScience\Plugins and put this one there instead.

If you're having Deploy issues, I hope this helps :)

Edited by ArcaneZedric
added warning

Just doing my first station experiment:

0XbAIiM.png

As you can see, I use a whole bunch of Mods :D

Also, no solar panels or 2.5m propulsion yet, the Lab itself was brought up by a Hydra II, which has 2 stages of 7 1.5m Liquid Cores each plus 5 SRBs. That was a Launch. Actually three, because I didn't get the strutting right the first two times. Just in case anyone wondering, the Pods are from the Home Grown Rocket Parts mod and have two seats each, bringing the current crew to four - the lab launched unmanned and has no life support of it's own. Bonus points if you find the probe core.

Hello ethernet and everybody else,

Ethernet, I love the mod. I think your use of mod parts in the models are fun and creative, as well as the experiments. At first, after only reading cfgs, I thought the mod was mightily over powered. I had calculated it giving something in the neighborhood of 3.5 million science, and 1.5 million transmittable science. Not one to assume if I can help it, I tried the parts out for a few hours and figured out that I was wrong. Not only are the parts appreciably heavy enough to hinder quick deployment, but the experiments are not repeatable without the stock science lab

As some of you may have noticed, I have created a new TechTree with TreeEdit. I am finally getting around to sorting science mod parts into it and wanted to see what you and everyone else thought of my plan:

And so if I look hard enough, I can see you had a plan too laid out on your first post. I will use it for sure, with some modification (science and electrics are seperate branches in mine, but that should not be too big of a problem..)

I am getting close to finishing the current release, and in the meantime I should soon have a prerelease tree.cfg up on github if anyone is curious enough to check it out, maybe let me know what you think. Thanks.

Hello

Ive just tried your mod today and I seem to be having an odd problem. Whenever I try to launch the lab into orbit, it all goes fine till it hits about 6K in height when the whole thing explodes!

It seems to be just the lab module that has this problem (ie i can take it out of the rocket and everything is fine).

Also when I use the lab as the core of my rocket, it disintegrates on the launchpad...

I am running several mods, including mechjeb, kerbal joint reinforcement, b9 KW and novapunch.

Is this something you guys have come across and if so is it fixable? I was intrigued by this mod and would love to use it

I'm suffering from the 'deploy' bug as well, and the fix on the previous page didn't solve it, in fact it made the deploy button disappear altogether, with nothing to replace it. The 'pause research' button in the lab itself is also gone after applying the fix.

It seems to be just the lab module that has this problem (ie i can take it out of the rocket and everything is fine).

You DID use an appropriate dummy payload instead? meaning approx. same wheight and shape.

Is there anything specific happening at 6k height like a stage separation? What is your accelaration? Are you using FAR?

What does the F3 log say?

Also, you should probably provide the .craft, your ascent profile, some screens, and the KSP_Data/output_log.txt. The first two are needed for an exact reproduction of the problem, the screens in case someone doesn't has the mods required for the .craft and still wants to know what's being talked about. And the output_log is helpful for finding actual errors in plugins, I've heard.

I'm suffering from the 'deploy' bug as well, and the fix on the previous page didn't solve it, in fact it made the deploy button disappear altogether, with nothing to replace it. The 'pause research' button in the lab itself is also gone after applying the fix.

Sorry, that's my bad. I should have noticed that in the testing.

That particular problem is because the original experiment doesn't contain the new events that the fix exposes. Unfortunately this means you'll probably have to consider that experiment a dud - it won't work unless you break open your save file and add the missing events.

Any new experiments you launch should be free from this problem though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.