[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Sorry, that's my bad. I should have noticed that in the testing.

That particular problem is because the original experiment doesn't contain the new events that the fix exposes. Unfortunately this means you'll probably have to consider that experiment a dud - it won't work unless you break open your save file and add the missing events.

Any new experiments you launch should be free from this problem though.

Discarding the old experiment and launching a new one did not show anything :(. Thanks, though.

I noticed that now the 'eureka' resource has vanished entirely, from both in-progress flights, and for new launches, if that helps.

Discarding the old experiment and launching a new one did not show anything :(. Thanks, though.

I noticed that now the 'eureka' resource has vanished entirely, from both in-progress flights, and for new launches, if that helps.

I've done some more digging around and have managed to duplicate your original problem, and can't yet find a way to revert it. I suggest removing the edited version and reinstalling the original StationScience. This may fix the original Deploy button problem - in my tests it does sometimes but more often does not, unfortunately.

I'm taking down my version until I can fix it properly. Apologies for the inconvenience.

The missing Eureka resource suggests a problem with the files in the Resources directory. You should have "Experiments.cfg", "Eurekas.cfg", "Bioproducts.cfg", "Kuarqs.cfg", and "Kibbal.cfg" in your Resources directory under GameData/StationScience. Are they there?

I'm still not having any luck reproducing the "Deploy" bug. I think it's caused by the game not seeing the experiment definition (in Experiments.cfg) for the one specified in the pod part, but I don't know why that's happening for some but not others.

From someone who's encountered this bug, I'd appreciate the following:

• The persistence file
  • A list of all mods installed
  • A ZIP of your GameData/StationScience directory

The missing Eureka resource suggests a problem with the files in the Resources directory. You should have "Experiments.cfg", "Eurekas.cfg", "Bioproducts.cfg", "Kuarqs.cfg", and "Kibbal.cfg" in your Resources directory under GameData/StationScience. Are they there?

I'm still not having any luck reproducing the "Deploy" bug. I think it's caused by the game not seeing the experiment definition (in Experiments.cfg) for the one specified in the pod part, but I don't know why that's happening for some but not others.

• The persistence file

They are there; the missing resources only manifested with ArcaneZedric's fix, they were visible prior to that. Sorry if I wasn't completely clear on that.

• The persistence file

---Link removed --- to an otherwise empty save file and the StationScience directory. No other mods are in use.

Checking KSP.log reveals that there is something about the experiment definitions - so I've included the log as well.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ArcaneZedric
removed link

I am unable to launch a D-ZZY Cyclotron into space because for some reason it breaks staging, anything under it doesn't stage normally. It just goes through the stages until it gets past the part and then staging works normally after that.

Same thing happens with the zoology bay.

Edited by Wren

I am unable to launch a D-ZZY Cyclotron into space because for some reason it breaks staging, anything under it doesn't stage normally. It just goes through the stages until it gets past the part and then staging works normally after that.

Same thing happens with the zoology bay.

Is your rocket breaking? You can view the F3 log to find out. Those parts are quite heavy, so if you're not careful, its easy for them to sheer off the part below. If that's the case, use struts to reinforce the connection.

Here's a link to an otherwise empty save file and the StationScience directory. No other mods are in use.

Checking KSP.log reveals that there is something about the experiment definitions - so I've included the log as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Naturally, I load this up, and it works fine for me: the pod says Finalize Results, and when I click it, I get the experiment results as expected.

One oddity I found: in your log file, the game seems to be loading a file GameData/Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs.old.cfg (or ScienceDefs_old.cfg):

[LOG 18:10:58.223] Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs_old/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

This line appears a number of times in a row in your log. When I start my version, I don't see it at all. Do you have such a file in your install directory? If so, do you know where it came from? Does removing it help?

edit:

Just tried it out myself by copying ScienceDefs.cfg to ScienceDefs_old.cfg, and I duplicated the issue! Now, the pod says Deploy, and clicking it doesn't do anything.

What I suspect is happening is that after the stock ScienceDefs get loaded, the duplicate ones in the "old" file screw up the loader, and when it comes to my experiments, it isn't loading them correctly.

So now the question is where does the "old" file come from? Are all you guys having this issue using Steam? Maybe it's an artifact of the Steam upgrade system?

Edited by ethernet

So now the question is where does the "old" file come from? Are all you guys having this issue using Steam? Maybe it's an artifact of the Steam upgrade system?

Whoops, that's my fault. I don't know if anyone else would have the exact same issue, since ScienceDefs_old.cfg is where I backed up the original Squad file before installing the Crowd-sourced Science Logs mod.

It's an easy one to forget about, since there's no folder in GameData to remind you it's there.

Removing it does fix the Deploy bug on the otherwise-clean install, as well as on my main install.

Okay, I strutted the heck out of a new rocket and it seems to work, so, maybe?? it was snapping the rocket at that point??

Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully I'll be able to get both the zoology and the cyclotron up there soon and then send up all the other experiments. I did devise a really cool shuttle to ferry up kibbal to keep the scientists well supplied.

Thanks.

Naturally, I load this up, and it works fine for me: the pod says Finalize Results, and when I click it, I get the experiment results as expected.

One oddity I found: in your log file, the game seems to be loading a file GameData/Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs.old.cfg (or ScienceDefs_old.cfg):

[LOG 18:10:58.223] Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs_old/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

This line appears a number of times in a row in your log. When I start my version, I don't see it at all. Do you have such a file in your install directory? If so, do you know where it came from? Does removing it help?

edit:

Just tried it out myself by copying ScienceDefs.cfg to ScienceDefs_old.cfg, and I duplicated the issue! Now, the pod says Deploy, and clicking it doesn't do anything.

What I suspect is happening is that after the stock ScienceDefs get loaded, the duplicate ones in the "old" file screw up the loader, and when it comes to my experiments, it isn't loading them correctly.

I don't have the ScienceDefs_old file, but I DO have a ScienceDefs in the mod, BTSM. Removing it made the station experiments work again, and I was able to finalize results, but as I'm sure you can imagine, this breaks BTSM's own science system, albeit not irrevocably. Removing it when doing Station Science and then re-adding it when doing anything else has proven a functional solution, albeit very slow, cumbersome, and inconvenient. I understand that you can't be held responsible for mod conflicts, but if there is something that can be done, that would be awesome.

I don't have the ScienceDefs_old file, but I DO have a ScienceDefs in the mod, BTSM. Removing it made the station experiments work again, and I was able to finalize results, but as I'm sure you can imagine, this breaks BTSM's own science system, albeit not irrevocably. Removing it when doing Station Science and then re-adding it when doing anything else has proven a functional solution, albeit very slow, cumbersome, and inconvenient. I understand that you can't be held responsible for mod conflicts, but if there is something that can be done, that would be awesome.

I believe a better workaround would be to just remove the stock ScienceDefs.cfg file from the Squad/Resources folder. BTSM does a full replacement of the stock ScienceDefs, so having both is redundant, and as it turns out, causes problems for other mods. Ideally, BTSM would use ModuleManager to make its adjustments, but I'm not sure ModuleManager supports changing EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONs (I've never worked with it myself), and I know the BTSM author doesn't care about other mods working alongside his mod, anyway.

Another solution might be to simply rename the StationScience folder to, say, AStationScience, to ensure that my experiments get loaded before BTSM's.

I believe a better workaround would be to just remove the stock ScienceDefs.cfg file from the Squad/Resources folder. BTSM does a full replacement of the stock ScienceDefs, so having both is redundant, and as it turns out, causes problems for other mods. Ideally, BTSM would use ModuleManager to make its adjustments, but I'm not sure ModuleManager supports changing EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONs (I've never worked with it myself), and I know the BTSM author doesn't care about other mods working alongside his mod, anyway.

Another solution might be to simply rename the StationScience folder to, say, AStationScience, to ensure that my experiments get loaded before BTSM's.

Removing the stock ScienceDefs worked! The only thing missing now is EVA reports, but BTSM and Station Science are now co-existing! Probably won't be too hard to reinsert the EVA sciences into the BTSM ScienceDefs, either.

That guy has never cared about working with others.

Removing the stock ScienceDefs worked! The only thing missing now is EVA reports, but BTSM and Station Science are now co-existing! Probably won't be too hard to reinsert the EVA sciences into the BTSM ScienceDefs, either.

Ah, missed the EVA reports. Shouldn't be hard to restore the stock ScienceDefs.cfg, but delete everything but the EVA reports section.

Glad its working now!

So, anyone else still having issues with the Deploy bug?

Just a little pic of my current station using lotsa parts of this awesome mod (big thanks for making it!).

fe7U0a1.jpg

It's still "in progress" with building, currently in LKO, but I intend to move it ... somehow. Spectrometron is still missing, also some more stuff, but this monster is already at 400 tons.

The SSTO docked to it has the 6 experiment containers and is moving those back and forth to the space center.

Other mods used are the toridal tanks pack (the ring tanks and the nuke stage).

I noticed that the thing which generates insight had a different size after I switched from the launchpad to the station and then back to the launchpad.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your meaning.

Are you saying the Science Lab part became smaller when you swapped to the station and back, or that you lost Eurekas when you swapped to the station and back?

BTW, there's a bug that permits doing Station Science experiments on the launchpad; they're supposed to be locked out on Kerbin's surface. It'll be fixed in the next release.

The physical model of the science lab reduced in size. The parts connected to it continued to float at their original location. I had a few problems with stations in space exploding on load with this device and I think it might be related.

I would like to see the contents of the experiment pods, labs, etc. in IVA. I would especially like to see the experiments being done. Here's an idea:aquatic-hab.jpg

These are the aquaitic habitats in Kibo which held Japanese rice fish (Oryzias latipes). This would be a cool experiment pod for the Zoology Bay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.