[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Hello, I have a question on how exactly to use the Spectrometron. I have it attached to my space station, but when I bring Kuarqs up and dock them to the station I cannot run the Spectrometron.

Now they are not docked directly to the Spectrometron, but on a part farther down, but still everything is hooked together.

Please understand I'm very new to KSP so you might have to dumb things down for me!

Here is my station:

http://imgur.com/8CdRBIH

Any help is appreciated!

Hello, I have a question on how exactly to use the Spectrometron. I have it attached to my space station, but when I bring Kuarqs up and dock them to the station I cannot run the Spectrometron.

Now they are not docked directly to the Spectrometron, but on a part farther down, but still everything is hooked together.

Please understand I'm very new to KSP so you might have to dumb things down for me!

Here is my station:

http://imgur.com/8CdRBIH

Any help is appreciated!

The Spectrometron analyzes "Surface Samples", using Kuarqs. The Kuarqs should be generated at the station; they don't need to be "brought up" from anywhere.

Do you have a Surface Sample somewhere on your station?

I don't think so. You mean a surface sample as in - EVA on Kerbin, take a sample, than launch/dock with the station? Then I could start the experiment?

Sorry if this is obvious...

Yes, that kind of Surface Sample.

But a Surface Sample from Kerbin would be pointless. The only purpose of the Spectrometron is to enable transmitting Surface Samples at 100%, but you can trivially recover a Kerbin Surface Sample for 100% as soon as you get it. It's kind of like the stock game's Processing Lab. It's pointless to bring things up from Kerbin to analyze in an orbiting Processing Lab.

The point would be to put a station around another planet or moon, and use it to process Surface Samples from below and transmit them without having to make the trip back. It'll be more useful once interplanetary destinations get biomes.

Yes, that kind of Surface Sample.

But a Surface Sample from Kerbin would be pointless. The only purpose of the Spectrometron is to enable transmitting Surface Samples at 100%, but you can trivially recover a Kerbin Surface Sample for 100% as soon as you get it. It's kind of like the stock game's Processing Lab. It's pointless to bring things up from Kerbin to analyze in an orbiting Processing Lab.

The point would be to put a station around another planet or moon, and use it to process Surface Samples from below and transmit them without having to make the trip back. It'll be more useful once interplanetary destinations get biomes.

Ahh...gotcha...not I totally understand. Thanks for the info. I think it's a super cool mod. Really nice job on this!

Actually getting additional science from delivering sample from kerbin to lab woudl make sense.

They do it on ISS all the time do they? Check how things behave in 0g.

Have you thought about some module for combining surface sample from various planets? For example you take kerbin sample and mun sample and kerbals discover that mun probably was once part of kerbin.

Does anyone know what causes this? The lab still function and I can connect parts to both ends. It hasn't happened to me before.

edit: So it occurred to me that I should check the part.cfg, and it seems that it needs fuelTank4-2 and I deleted the Squad tanks k_tongue.gif, I'm leaving the post here anyway.

1Q6ktZK.png

Edited by Piamette

Does anyone know what causes this? The lab still function and I can connect parts to both ends. It hasn't happened to me before.

edit: So it occurred to me that I should check the part.cfg, and it seems that it needs fuelTank4-2 and I deleted the Squad tanks http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/smilies/k_tongue.gif, I'm leaving the post here anyway.

Have you removed any of the stock parts from your installation? The mods science lab calls on the squad textures to make the full part.

when i dock a experiment and produce all needed eurekas, i right click on experiment bay and the gui shows "deploy" instead of finalize results. and then, when i click deply, nothing happens.

im not sure if im doing everything right

Do you use the stock ScienceDefs.cfg or the community ScienceDefs? The latter don't work with this mod.

Also, is there any news on a new version. I had reported earlier that the thing that generates eurekas tends to suddenly get smaller on a reload of the vessel. Since I stopped using Eureka based experiments (and thus the eureka generating thingy) I don't have the sudden explosion of stations anymore and am afraid to start using them again.

WAIT: Does this not work with community ScienceDefs?!?! D: Such a nice mod, why must it be incompatible? anything we can do, or download?

This does work with the Crowd Sourced Science Logs. I'm using the two without a hitch.

Do you use the stock ScienceDefs.cfg or the community ScienceDefs? The latter don't work with this mod.

Also, is there any news on a new version. I had reported earlier that the thing that generates eurekas tends to suddenly get smaller on a reload of the vessel. Since I stopped using Eureka based experiments (and thus the eureka generating thingy) I don't have the sudden explosion of stations anymore and am afraid to start using them again.

actually I use stock sciencedefs. but if it is related to that, I will look for. I use interstellar mod and I'm having problems with its experiments too. any report of uncompatibility?

Im getting some weird graphical problem with science lab , half of it is nearly completely black.

My first though was boulderCo texture compressor , but I tryed removing it , all texture cache and reinstalling station science after all. - No effect.

All other parts from this mod are normal.

Maybe someone met this problem?

Haven't been able to reproduce this. If you can, please send me your persistence file.

Once I release the custom model for the Science Lab, that might take care of the issue.

actually I use stock sciencedefs. but if it is related to that, I will look for. I use interstellar mod and I'm having problems with its experiments too. any report of uncompatibility?

Not aware of any issues with Interstellar. Do you have any other mods installed?

Im getting some weird graphical problem with science lab , half of it is nearly completely black.

My first though was boulderCo texture compressor , but I tryed removing it , all texture cache and reinstalling station science after all. - No effect.

All other parts from this mod are normal.

Maybe someone met this problem?

Is the hitchhiker storage container also showing this issue? The Science Lab uses that model, so it would be strange if one were affected and not the other.

Is the hitchhiker storage container also showing this issue? The Science Lab uses that model, so it would be strange if one were affected and not the other.

Yeah , thanks for advice! Hitchiker was half black too.Aswell as this small fuel tank below. Reinstalling squad folder fixed it and science lab.

Whats wrong with a ModuleManager config change on the Squad vanilla Science Lab as opposed to making another one?

I considered doing this but decided against it based on two of my design goals:

1. Add new gameplay that is challenging, with commensurate rewards.

2. Only add to the stock gameplay; don't remove anything.

If I add my Science Lab functionality to the stock Processing Lab, I have to violate one of those goals, due to the mass. If I leave the mass as is, I eliminate all the challenge in launching the current Science Lab. The stock Processing Lab's mass is ridiculously low for its size (less than the 3-man pod), and trivial to launch. But it's approximately appropriate for how little it actually does. Therefore, if I increase the Processing Lab's mass to account for my added Science Lab functionality, then it disrupts anyone who wants to use the stock functionality on its own. They now are dealing with a module whose mass is too large for the benefit the module provides. Certain mission profiles could become non-viable.

--snip--

Ah, I hadn't considerd the stock labs extremely low weight. Could we at least get the functunality of the squad lab (resetting experiments and boosting transmission of samples) in your lab as well? I just dont want to have to lug around 2 labs. :P

Ah, I hadn't considerd the stock labs extremely low weight. Could we at least get the functunality of the squad lab (resetting experiments and boosting transmission of samples) in your lab as well? I just dont want to have to lug around 2 labs. :P

It's easy to add that to the part.cfg file if you want it, but I don't want to do it for the official release. The whole point of the mod is to give reasons to build large stations out of a bunch of modules. Making a stock module (with a nice big model) redundant goes against that purpose.

Ethernet, have you thought about KAS integration?

Once lab is delivered to orbit, some small parts coudl be added to it, simply using KAS functionality on EVA instead of docking, as it is with bigger parts.

Some sensors, antennas, sample exposure containers, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.