[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Hey, why not interconnect the rate of generating Eurekas with the stupidity of the kerbalnauts inside the science lab.

This may then be the first mod that utilizes the properties of kerbalnauts... and this makes sense too: cleverer kermen can do science more efficiently.

And thus you may want to send clever kermen onto the science lab with the risk of killing them if your rocket design is not robust enough...

It will be even more interesting if we also use some mods like TAC or IonCross Life Support, thus making these clever minds more precious.

Hey, why not interconnect the rate of generating Eurekas with the stupidity of the kerbalnauts inside the science lab.

This may then be the first mod that utilizes the properties of kerbalnauts... and this makes sense too: cleverer kermen can do science more efficiently.

And thus you may want to send clever kermen onto the science lab with the risk of killing them if your rocket design is not robust enough...

It will be even more interesting if we also use some mods like TAC or IonCross Life Support, thus making these clever minds more precious.

The Interstellar mod actually does this already with its Science Lab.

With the stock game, the Eureka generation rate doesn't really mean anything, since Time Warp is free. But I could see some value in combination with a life support mod, so I may add it.

The Interstellar mod actually does this already with its Science Lab.

With the stock game, the Eureka generation rate doesn't really mean anything, since Time Warp is free. But I could see some value in combination with a life support mod, so I may add it.

Ah, that would be nice.

Maybe I did this wrong? I docked a plant experiment module to a station with a lab. Waited for them to complete the experiment, hit 'finalize results' and stored the data then landed the module and recovered it. No science.

Sounds like you did it right. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Did you upgrade from first alpha to second alpha? If so, at what point in the progress of your mission, and did you delete the old version and copy over the new version, or just copy the new version on top of the old version?

Any chance you have a quicksave from some point during the mission?

Great mod.

Much complicated the process or doing Science..

Although I used the word: complicated..

But it is great, because the current process of doing science is too trivial..

Build a rocket as big as possible (i should say as much delta-V as possible) and send it to else-where and boom!

you got science!...

Bored, isn't it?

*Off-topic*

Marked!

After undocking the experiment module I did swap back to KSP tracking station and then reload the vessel. Could that have caused it?

It's possible. I'm not positive I thought to test that specific interaction. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the info!

OK, I repeated that scenario, by switching to the tracking station and back after undocking, and I still got the science on recovery after landing as expected for me. Not sure what else could be the problem.

To anyone that wants to help track down the issue, it would be useful to quicksave before recovering each time, then if the science isn't added on recovery, I can try to load it up myself and repeat the issue.

Edited by ethernet

OK, I repeated that scenario, by switching to the tracking station and back after undocking, and I still got the science on landed as expected for me. Not sure what else could be the problem.

To anyone that wants to help track down the issue, it would be useful to quicksave before recovering each time, then if the science isn't added on recovery, I can try to load it up myself and repeat the issue.

I had it happen too, did quicksave and reload it worked fine the second time. Not sure what I did/n't do different and can't help pin it down other than to say it's not just one person. I am thinking it had something to do with MASSIVE amount of mods I am running, I will keep an eye out and try to record/recreate problem to see if I can be any help. I did notice with my test station I used to get a handle on how it works I had all the small experiment pods docked to station with the science bay and when doing the experiments my Kuarqs production stalled on two of the three that required them. I went to the dark side of kerban and it drained my EC then Kuarqs. Worked fine with just one experiment running though. Kind of rambling but I guess what I am trying to say is I am a little lost on HOW this works, basic idea I get but a little more in depth instructions would be nice.

I had it happen too, did quicksave and reload it worked fine the second time. Not sure what I did/n't do different and can't help pin it down other than to say it's not just one person.

When was the quicksave during the process? Before undocking? Before re-entry? After touchdown?

I did notice with my test station I used to get a handle on how it works I had all the small experiment pods docked to station with the science bay and when doing the experiments my Kuarqs production stalled on two of the three that required them. I went to the dark side of kerban and it drained my EC then Kuarqs. Worked fine with just one experiment running though. Kind of rambling but I guess what I am trying to say is I am a little lost on HOW this works, basic idea I get but a little more in depth instructions would be nice.

That's due to the Kuarq decay on those two experiments. The Retrograde and Eccentric Kuarqs have half-lives that mean that if you don't have enough Kuarq output, they won't be able to progress beyond a certain point because more Kuarqs will be degrading than are being added to them.

For those experiments, you should do only one at a time to ensure all of your Cyclotron's output is being directed into a single experiment to outpace the decay. For eccentric Kuarqs you'll actually need two Cyclotrons to keep up.

This is indicated in the part description by the minimum kuarq rate for completion. The Eccentric Kuarq's required minimum rate is over 1/second, while each cyclotron max's out at one per second.

I'll add this info to the OP.

Yea, the decay got me stumped for a good half an hour, trying to work out why the processes stalled part way through. I'm using 2 Cyclotrons and 4 labs on a station now.... completely over the top, but at least it looks like a proper research facility :)

When was the quicksave during the process? Before undocking? Before re-entry? After touchdown?

That's due to the Kuarq decay on those two experiments. The Retrograde and Eccentric Kuarqs have half-lives that mean that if you don't have enough Kuarq output, they won't be able to progress beyond a certain point because more Kuarqs will be degrading than are being added to them.

For those experiments, you should do only one at a time to ensure all of your Cyclotron's output is being directed into a single experiment to outpace the decay. For eccentric Kuarqs you'll actually need two Cyclotrons to keep up.

This is indicated in the part description by the minimum kuarq rate for completion. The Eccentric Kuarq's required minimum rate is over 1/second, while each cyclotron max's out at one per second.

I'll add this info to the OP.

That makes sense thanks for the info. As far as the quicksave, it was before undocking.

So I have one more quistion. What is the rate you generate Eurekas? I want to set an alarm to remind me to finalize my plant growth experiment when its done.

edit: I see it says rate of 1.0 in the confg for the science lab. Is that 1 per minute?

Edited by Secret Squirrel

So I have one more quistion. What is the rate you generate Eurekas? I want to set an alarm to remind me to finalize my plant growth experiment when its done.

edit: I see it says rate of 1.0 in the confg for the science lab. Is that 1 per minute?

1 per hour. The part description in vehicle assembly says this.

Maybe add a way to transfer experiments into a small storage module so you don't have to deorbit big pieces of your station.

The individual experiments are in small, light pods with the intent that you'll undock them and deorbit them, leaving the big heavy parts in orbit.

Plus, can you make the parts look 'Stockalike' (fitting in with KSPs feel, like KSPX) when you do them?

This is my intent.

So I think I know what happened to me earlier when I lost the science in my plant modules. I think it was a KSP glitch to be honest, and nothing to do with your mod, because it happened again. I undocked a kuarc experiment just now and AFTER undocking from the science lab I clicked the antenna and had it transmit a crew report. Somehow it also grabbed the Kuarc experiment even though that vessel was not attached, and of course I got 0 science when it completed because its set to give nothing for transmission. Switching back to the undocked vessel I confirmed that it was empty. Very strange.

So I think I know what happened to me earlier when I lost the science in my plant modules. I think it was a KSP glitch to be honest, and nothing to do with your mod, because it happened again. I undocked a kuarc experiment just now and AFTER undocking from the science lab I clicked the antenna and had it transmit a crew report. Somehow it also grabbed the Kuarc experiment even though that vessel was not attached, and of course I got 0 science when it completed because its set to give nothing for transmission. Switching back to the undocked vessel I confirmed that it was empty. Very strange.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can do something to work around this problem. I might be able to make them abort transmission if they would transmit a 0% tx-value experiment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.