[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Great mod!

I like adding value and parts to my existing orbital fuel stations :)

One question - I notice the experiments have diminishing returns in LKO, which is what I would expect. Do these experiments generate more science if performed in orbit around other bodies in the same way stock science parts work?

No, it should work fine with an existing save. You might have to go to the R&D building to individually "buy" the new parts if you already have their tech nodes unlocked.

It should be easy to copy the MODULE and RESOURCE sections from my parts into the Kosmos parts. Look for EurekaProducer, KuarqGenerator, BioproductProducer, StationExperiment, and SampleAnalyzer, as well as resource sections for Kibbal. You should also copy over the mass values from my parts.

I'll see what I can do.

I'll give it a shot, but my concern would be usability. It would be a pain to have to zoom in to pick which experiment to click on if you have multiple different types all at once. The FusTek parts don't have a function other than looking nice, so subtle type indicators are fine for them.

That's very kind of you. You can maybe use the windows off parts already in the game. A few mods also have very nice windows they might share (like the MK 2 cockpit)

I have yet to find a use for Bioproducts... which experiment consumes them? :)

There are two new experiment pods that require Bioproducts: Creature Comforts, and Kuarq Bio-activity. The former should be unlocked alongside the Zoology Bay, while the latter should be unlocked alongside the Cyclotron.

Great mod!

I like adding value and parts to my existing orbital fuel stations :)

One question - I notice the experiments have diminishing returns in LKO, which is what I would expect. Do these experiments generate more science if performed in orbit around other bodies in the same way stock science parts work?

Yes they provide different values depending on where they are, ie, experiments performed on the Mun > greater value than the same experiments in LKO. All will have gradual diminishing returns, but not as steep a curve as the out of the box science experiments.

There are two new experiment pods that require Bioproducts: Creature Comforts, and Kuarq Bio-activity. The former should be unlocked alongside the Zoology Bay, while the latter should be unlocked alongside the Cyclotron.

That's odd. On my save I've taken the 2 new experiments up to my LKO station, and completed / finalized them both (without the need for bioproducts)...

Must have installed you new update wrong. Either way, glad to see the extras :)

That's odd. On my save I've taken the 2 new experiments up to my LKO station, and completed / finalized them both (without the need for bioproducts)...

Must have installed you new update wrong. Either way, glad to see the extras :)

Did you delete the old version's folder, and copy over the new one? If not, you might have two different DLLs in the Plugins folder, as I changed the name of the plugin in the latest release. If both plugins are there, it's possible the old version of the StationExperiment module is getting loaded, which wouldn't check for (or even show) the Bioproducts requirements.

Thanks to the devs, this mod could be called redundant before it gets a beta release.

Why? 0.23=new orbital science lab+revised science+all around general optimization=redundant mod

I think this mod can easily extend on the new changes. At the very least the models and station components can also be used to provide additional variety, and maybe some more science research paths than the out of the box options! :)

Thanks to the devs, this mod could be called redundant before it gets a beta release.

Why? 0.23=new orbital science lab+revised science+all around general optimization=redundant mod

All 0.23's Science Lab adds is essentially a more generalized version of the Spectrometron. Which I'll probably just turn into a more effective Science Lab that requires Kuarqs to work.

The rest of the gameplay, of using experiment pods to gather science from the large facility parts, should still be relevant. And with science better balanced, and harder to come by with retransmit-spam gone, perhaps even more-so.

Time for another mod picture story with Tripod!

This time showcasing me getting my 200 ton station (cyclotron + science lab + Spectrometron) into orbit using a 730 ton launch vehicle because dammit I'm too lazy to rendezvous and dock two separate 100 ton objects.

Image one: The vehicle sitting on the launchpad. This is honestly the first time in a year or two of playing KSP that I've ever seen Mainsail decoupler fairings

Image two: Launch! You have a nice side view of the vehicle, including the 15 large reaction wheels I placed to make it maneuver less like a moon and more like a slightly controllable moon >_<

Image three: First separation. A bit close due to the struts canceling the separation force but nothing exploded so it's cool

Image four: Aww snap! Why did those two engines stop before the other two?

Image five: Ok, the others ran out of fuel 10 seconds later and I separated the second stage

Image six: Final separation! This thing is actually working? feelsgoodman.jpg

Image seven: A nice beauty shot, assuming you have some nightvision goggles handy

Image eight: another beauty shot, now with solar panels deployed (yeah, don't have the big ones researched yet...) and some sun on the craft

The two mainsails on the orbital stage were a bit overkill, but I've never put something this heavy into orbit so I just decided to play it safe for the first time

In case you're wondering, those video controls at the bottom are there because I recorded the whole thing, realized my upload speed would make posting the video take hours, and then took screenshots of the video to save time :P

Overall a nice mod so far, the weight of the parts will make getting the station competed a larger challenge than I'm used to (that was the first time I've put a payload heavier than 75 tons in orbit). Hope the finished parts look similar to the stock ones though, since I generally avoid any parts mods that don't look close to stock

Edited by Tripod27

All 0.23's Science Lab adds is essentially a more generalized version of the Spectrometron. Which I'll probably just turn into a more effective Science Lab that requires Kuarqs to work.

The rest of the gameplay, of using experiment pods to gather science from the large facility parts, should still be relevant. And with science better balanced, and harder to come by with retransmit-spam gone, perhaps even more-so.

As far as I know, it's job will be to process uncollected/nonreturnable samples, as well as make an onsite base more feasible. It also helps since you won't be able to spam the transmit button anymore, you will actually have to take samples to it, process them, and then transmit the results back home.

I am kinda confused... What does the Spectrometron actually DO? I have one on my station, and I have a completed experiment, but the Spectrometron doesn't take Kuarqs, and it says that there are no samples, even though I have both a finished experiment, and many unfinished on my station... Did I miss the point or something?

I am kinda confused... What does the Spectrometron actually DO? I have one on my station, and I have a completed experiment, but the Spectrometron doesn't take Kuarqs, and it says that there are no samples, even though I have both a finished experiment, and many unfinished on my station... Did I miss the point or something?

Spectrometron is only for Surface Samples. You can bring them up from the surface, analyze them using Kuarqs, then transmit them for 100% value. It's along the lines of what the Science Lab coming in 0.23 will do, but for only one type of science data, although at a higher return.

It doesn't work for other experiments because they could simply be done in orbit along with the Spectrometron. Surface Samples must be collected from a planet, then be brought into orbit.

Spectrometron is only for Surface Samples. You can bring them up from the surface, analyze them using Kuarqs, then transmit them for 100% value. It's along the lines of what the Science Lab coming in 0.23 will do, but for only one type of science data, although at a higher return.

It doesn't work for other experiments because they could simply be done in orbit along with the Spectrometron. Surface Samples must be collected from a planet, then be brought into orbit.

... *facepalm* I get it now, sorry for the confusion... >_<

First of all, great mod, I love it!

But since yesterday I have a bug, everytime I start the plant experiment it starts normally and after a few seconds the experiment is reset. Sometimes i get the message:"location of experiment changed, experiment stopped".

It worked without problems the past days, the only thing I've changed ist, that ive installed kethane.

Other mods i have installed:

Tac life support

Mechjeb

Deadly reentry

Remote tech

Kw rocketry and

Real parachutes.

Am I missing something? Every time I try an experiment it tells me in the upper right "Eurikas resource is missing" and then I check my science lab it tells me "no active experiments"

You're running an old version of the plugin. Delete the StationScience directory, and re-extract it from the latest download.

First of all, great mod, I love it!

But since yesterday I have a bug, everytime I start the plant experiment it starts normally and after a few seconds the experiment is reset. Sometimes i get the message:"location of experiment changed, experiment stopped".

It worked without problems the past days, the only thing I've changed ist, that ive installed kethane.

Other mods i have installed:

Tac life support

Mechjeb

Deadly reentry

Remote tech

Kw rocketry and

Real parachutes.

Are you orbiting right at the boundary of high and low orbit? If it's Kerbin, that would be 250km.

If not, please PM me your persistence file so I can take a look.

I guess this will also be a problem for me as I am using the Real Solar System Mod.. As the lowest possible orbit is at this border or beyond it....

Unless the Real Solar System Mod changes the high/low orbit boundary, which would make sense. If it changes it in regards to the stock science system, it should also apply to my mod.

I have no idea if it does or not. In any event, as long as your orbit is entirely on one side of the border or the other, you're fine. It's crossing the border that changes your location, and thus causes the experiments to reset.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.