[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Looking good! I agree that the bits kerbals would interact with should be standard stock size, like the hatch and even the ladder rungs. This will help the part look appropriately massive, rather than like a resized part.

Good point. Will do this.

How does the mass/volume ratio compare to the old welded one and the stock science lab?

Certainly lower than the old welded one; I'd guess by half, since I'd guess the new model is about twice the volume of the old one. Not planning to change the mass currently. Might change when there's an economy, and delta-v actually has some scarcity.

Compared to the stock processing lab, quite a bit more. The stock lab is ridiculously light for its size.

editing a part his tech tree position doesn't help, at least as far as I tried. if you know a way to bypass the techtree, would you make a fix for that then please?

Did you change "TechRequired = [whatever]" to "TechRequired = start" for each of the parts? After that, you might need to go to the R&D building, click the first tech node, and activate each of the parts by clicking them in the list on the right.

Ehh, no I didn't. I changed it to "basicRocketry", I will try start today. Also, would you make better install instructions? I couldn't easily figure out in what map i should have dumped everything. (Eventually I got it.) Debug screen shows your science experiments with everything it needs as far as i know. but ksp doesn't present them on the VAB. What version of modulemanager does your mod need?

edit:

I did try start today, didn't help.

not on a new careerworld or a sandbox world.

but how do you handle the experiments different than the lab modules?

Edited by Blipman17
addition of text :P

Ehh, no I didn't. I changed it to "basicRocketry", I will try start today. Also, would you make better install instructions? I couldn't easily figure out in what map i should have dumped everything. (Eventually I got it.) Debug screen shows your science experiments with everything it needs as far as i know. but ksp doesn't present them on the VAB. What version of modulemanager does your mod need?

It should just be a matter of copying the StationScience directory from the ZIP file to the GameData directory, like all other mods. Is that where StationScience is, or did you copy it somewhere else? If so, that would cause them to not show up.

Station Science doesn't use modulemanager at all.

I do have some questions about some of the experiments. Seems like some of them you can't remove the data from, and if you try to deorbit the experiment it tells you it's been ruined, so your only option is to transmit the data. It this intentional or is there some way we are supposed to use these experiments multiple times?

Still wondering about the experiments that fail when attempting to return them to Kerbin.

Am I being a jerk about this, or am I being ignored on purpose? I'd like a confirmation that you are supposed to use the experiment, transmit the data, and then not be allowed to 'clean' the experiment and have to dispose of it in some way and run it again to get the full amount of science points for that zone on that experiment. If there is something I am overlooking then I'd like to be pointed in the right direction.

Am I being a jerk about this, or am I being ignored on purpose?

I think someone did respond (2 pages back):

Did you click "Finalize Results" when the experiment finished? You need to do that before de-orbiting.

It should just be a matter of copying the StationScience directory from the ZIP file to the GameData directory, like all other mods. Is that where StationScience is, or did you copy it somewhere else? If so, that would cause them to not show up.

Station Science doesn't use modulemanager at all.

installed it wrongly, going to reïnstall it tomorrow.

Question: Can you re-do the experiments for full science value if you already did them in the same place?

A few times. They decay like stock experiments, just slower.

I might change that at some point to be more science, but all at once. It was meant to make the station more reusable, but all it actually means is putting a bunch of the same experiment pods on a single craft.

Huh, I don't remember, I think so? It showed me how many science points I would get, (which was 0 for transmitting) so I assumed it was finalized? Maybe not, but I haven't been able to recreate it as I've started an entire new career game and haven't gotten that far yet.

Ethernet: Do you have any plans to make a 2.5m docking port? I like a 2.5m for putting station together due to stability. Fuel transfer can be worked around (Thank you KAS) so an early 2.5m version would be good in my book.

I'm running into a problem where the base Kerbalab, and observation module spins uncontrollably (With or without ASAS) in orbit. I'm going to see if I can narrow the problem down... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the shear number of mods I am using.... Will post more when I have more info.

Having removed the mod, it still occurs... Testing to see if it's with the AIES mod....

Edit: Same problem occurred with AIES.... and someone suggested that MechJeb might be the issue. Removed MechJeb from the GameData folder and things seem good now.

Edited by Fizwalker

Hello.

First, thanks for your terrific job, I like this mod very much.

Now, I donÃ…Â¥ know if it is still actual, but I have some input about the "Deploy" bug.

I had this issue because of DMagic Orbital science and the problem was again that multiple "ScienceDefs.cfg" files was loaded first, and because it happened several times with different mods I think it is a general problem and will happen with any mod that adds its own "ScienceDefs.cfg".

Now the good news, I believe I found an easy workaround to fix it with any mod.

Please note I am not a developer or anything and I don't really understand how things work, and that I actually learned this sort of magic when I admined Minecraft server for my friends. So backup and be prepared in case this fix will try to eat your dog. On the other hand, my solution tends to work fine, at least till next update.

My proposed solution is to simply merge all your ScienceDefs.cfg files, including those with different names but same purpose (for example, this mod calls it Experiments.cfg) into the stock one, that means copying the content and pasting it in the end of file, then removing the original files. I cannot think of any problems this might cause, and the little testing I have made shoved no issue at all.

I hope this will help someone. :)

Hello Ethernet! I love the work you did and I wish I could enjoy it more. For some reason it fails to load 90% of the time and on the loading the screen giving me an error message... However it has worked before! Sometimes I would pull the mod out of the Game Data run the game quit the game, put the station science back in Gamedata and it would launch! Agh to my shagrin I never was able to finish the initial satelite to carry the mod parts to start conducting experiments. I just dropped the folder in my game data! So annoying. I scattered through this thread but didn't find anyone with this same problem. If you know a fix i'd be much obliged.

Maybe i'm just an idiot but can somebody explain how you're suppose to attach the d-zzy cyclotron without it looking completely absurd?

Attatch it to the attatchment node. If it looks absurd...then i cannot help you. :)

Well maybe mine is messed up, It just looks like a bunch of smaller exteranl tanks floating in the air, like their suppose to be attached to something. Is there suppose to be a texture in the middle there?

Edit : Nevermind, I just realized it's because i remove the tanks it uses as the model, so it appeared the little tanks were floating in mid air.

Edited by Subcidal

So far I've had success using this mod in LKO, and I'm ready to push a station out to the Mun so I can do science there, as well as handle Mun samples. Can you tell us more about how the multipliers are structured? You mention them but I can't seem to locate any values in the thread.

Ethernet: Do you have any plans to make a 2.5m docking port? I like a 2.5m for putting station together due to stability. Fuel transfer can be worked around (Thank you KAS) so an early 2.5m version would be good in my book.

No, the whole point of the docking port I added is so that it is inferior, to justify early placement in the tree. If you want a stable 2.5 port early in the tree, and are just bypassing the fuel transfer restriction anyway, why not just edit your 2.5m port to wherever you want it in the tree?

Is there a way to rescale the models to fit 4m?

I'm playing RSS, and this mod would really help out in getting some science together!

You could try doubling all the size and coordinate values in the part.cfg files (for the attachment nodes, and the model sections).

Hello Ethernet! I love the work you did and I wish I could enjoy it more. For some reason it fails to load 90% of the time and on the loading the screen giving me an error message... However it has worked before! Sometimes I would pull the mod out of the Game Data run the game quit the game, put the station science back in Gamedata and it would launch! Agh to my shagrin I never was able to finish the initial satelite to carry the mod parts to start conducting experiments. I just dropped the folder in my game data! So annoying. I scattered through this thread but didn't find anyone with this same problem. If you know a fix i'd be much obliged.

What is the error message? All I can think is you're hitting the max memory size (about 2 GB). I've never had this problem myself, but I don't use a lot of mods.

So far I've had success using this mod in LKO, and I'm ready to push a station out to the Mun so I can do science there, as well as handle Mun samples. Can you tell us more about how the multipliers are structured? You mention them but I can't seem to locate any values in the thread.

They're exactly the same as the multipliers the Stock experiments use. You can find them on the KSP Wiki.

I have been trying to use this mod for a while now. I'm having a hell of a time launching anything other than the TH-NKR Science Lab into orbit however. I've got a station started, the science lab is up there waiting. I've tried the Cyclotron and the Zoology bay (separately), the Kibble stoage (both sizes). Everything results in a rocket that is wildly out of control (wobbling back and forth like crazy). I've gotten plenty of things in the air, up to Mun and Minmus, but no approach I know of seems to work for me with this mod. Can someone post a screenshot of what they've used to get things into orbit, or at least some suggestions? Thanks.

The Cyclotron in particular required very heavy lift design. The small kibble storage I'm surprised you have problems with though. One trick I always use with heavy payloads is to put arms on my insertion vehicle with struts to stabilize the payload and additional struts from the arms to the lower part of the insertion vehicle itself. The angle of these struts provide a stable base that keeps the platform and vehicle from bending during launch, a particular challenge with FAR and taking fairings into account. If you need a screen shot I'll be glad to get you one later when I'm able to get into it :)

I understand this mod was designed with a very specific flow and parts in mind, but I was looking at it ad it has 90% of what I need for something. I am trying to add science experiments that will be of ongoing use to the BobCat ISS modules. My idea is to fly experiment resources to ISS on a resupply craft (as is the case in reality) and then use these in the Destiny, Columbus and Kibo laboratories to run the experiment racks and return science data to send back to the ground.

Your mod does almost all of this with it's experiments, they require resources work (as my experiment racks would require experimental resources to work). The only issue is I cannot use my own resource definitions with your mod, as you have hardcoded the resource types I think in the DLL? Is it a lot of work to create a config file that allows custom resources to be defined and scan that at start-up then use whatever resources are listed there? I realise I'm asking for something outside this mod's scope but I think your DLL would be very useful if it did this. IT also might make expanding your own mod package and adding more dimensions to it later easier?

Is it a lot of work to create a config file that allows custom resources to be defined and scan that at start-up then use whatever resources are listed there?

I've actually written an addon to the Station Science mod which does exactly that - Fuel Science lets you define custom resources to be consumed when the experiment is finished.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.