[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

I've actually written an addon to the Station Science mod which does exactly that - Fuel Science lets you define custom resources to be consumed when the experiment is finished.

My initial reaction to this was very excited. Gonna give it a shot tonight after work.

I had set up a test last night using Eurekas and Bioproducts with Station Science with 2 experiments on the Columbus module but they didn't work. I am still not sure why. I'll poke it further tonight, and see if Fuel Science will let me setup this so it works with my own resources and actually fly stuff to it :)

Does anyone know if there is any detailed documentation for the Science system CFG set-ups. I'm struggling to build experiments that fit the bill because I have no clue what all the variables mean!!

Hello!

I have downloaded and installed this mod twice. I see the large parts and can include them in my constructions, but I cannot find the experiments anywhere. I have the requisite technologies learned, but I do not see the experiments in the box that shows the parts available at that tech level. I have ensured that the parts are in the right folder and right path, but I still do not see them anywhere. Any ideas?

Does anyone know if there is any detailed documentation for the Science system CFG set-ups. I'm struggling to build experiments that fit the bill because I have no clue what all the variables mean!!

This post describes the more obscure variables, but most of them should be self explanatory given the examples in the stock experiments cfg.

Hello!

I have downloaded and installed this mod twice. I see the large parts and can include them in my constructions, but I cannot find the experiments anywhere. I have the requisite technologies learned, but I do not see the experiments in the box that shows the parts available at that tech level. I have ensured that the parts are in the right folder and right path, but I still do not see them anywhere. Any ideas?

Did you extract StationScience to the GameData folder? It needs to be in that specific folder.

This is a nice mod, but can it have integration with Connected Living Space so Kerbals can man and move between them? If I try to put it on my space station it essentially acts as a separator.

Save this as CLSStnSci.cfg, and it should work:

@PART[scienceLab]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleConnectedLivingSpace
passable = true
}
}
@PART[zoologyBay]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}
@PART[StnSciAttachOTron]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleConnectedLivingSpace]]
{
MODULE
{
passable = true
}
}

Is this still under development?

I hope so. I liked the concept but the welded parts weren't exciting to me. But instead of being grumpy about it, I decided to practice my 3D art skills and learn how to make parts for KSP. This is the start of a cyclotron I'm building, loosely based on real-world designs I researched. It's a 3.75m part. I added some blue glowing pulse lights- totally not realistic (which the engineering side of me is annoyed with) but definitely artistic.

CyclotronWIP2.jpg

EDIT: added updated image

I'd be happy to contribute to the mod if ethernet would like, but I consider the models I make as placeholders until the real ones are done. :)

Edited by Angel-125

Is this still under development?

Yes. I intend to release a new version shortly after 0.24 is out, for contract integration. I also hope to have completed models for Science Lab, Zoology Bay, and Cyclotron.

I'd be happy to contribute to the mod if ethernet would like, but I consider the models I make as placeholders until the real ones are done. :)

Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty far along on my own.

I hope so. I liked the concept but the welded parts weren't exciting to me. But instead of being grumpy about it, I decided to practice my 3D art skills and learn how to make parts for KSP. This is the start of a cyclotron I'm building, loosely based on real-world designs I researched. It's a 3.75m part. I added some blue glowing pulse lights- totally not realistic (which the engineering side of me is annoyed with) but definitely artistic.

http://www.spellflight.com/WIPS/CyclotronWIP2.jpg

EDIT: added updated image

That cyclotron doesn't look very stockalike... And I don't really like the glowing lights.

No, the whole point of the docking port I added is so that it is inferior, to justify early placement in the tree. If you want a stable 2.5 port early in the tree, and are just bypassing the fuel transfer restriction anyway, why not just edit your 2.5m port to wherever you want it in the tree?

Simply because an inferior product would not just be defined by it's capability to move fuel but also its greater weight and size compared to the later, superior model. The benefit is that it comes in earlier in the tree allowing stations to be built that little bit sooner. On top of that with .24 and the addition of costs, the benefit could be a less expensive, but also less optimised option for connection up your stations. Tradeoffs will become a good thing.

Hopefully .24 will actually include a 64 bit client and I can include this back into my games. Whenever I have this mod I tend to make huge space stations and then get lots of crashes from all of the parts loading. Looking forward to seeing the new models for your parts.

Hi ethernet

I am having some issues with the Mod. By your post here it looks like one of the experiments should be available from the tech tree at the "Science Tech" node, however, as you can see from this screenshot it is not available. I have a sandbox game in the same folder and all experiments are available there, so the mod loaded ok.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/SSrCy2p

Any ideas why the experiments are not available and what I could do about it?

Thanks

Andrew.

Simply because an inferior product would not just be defined by it's capability to move fuel but also its greater weight and size compared to the later, superior model. The benefit is that it comes in earlier in the tree allowing stations to be built that little bit sooner. On top of that with .24 and the addition of costs, the benefit could be a less expensive, but also less optimised option for connection up your stations. Tradeoffs will become a good thing.

I get what you're saying, but this isn't a "Docking Port Variants" mod, and I want to avoid feature creep. I have the one because it's needed to work around the relatively high tech placement of the stock docking port, which tended to make additional Science at that point redundant. Adding another variant wouldn't add much in terms of getting Science from Space Stations.

I am having some issues with the Mod. By your post here it looks like one of the experiments should be available from the tech tree at the "Science Tech" node, however, as you can see from this screenshot it is not available. I have a sandbox game in the same folder and all experiments are available there, so the mod loaded ok.

Given that the experiments exist in Sandbox mode, I have no idea what's going on. I see you have another mod installed. Can you try with a fresh install and see if it works?

Is there a plan to add high energy requirements for the Cyclotron and Spectrometron? Which values would be realistic?

I would consider the Cyclotron to already have high energy requirements. It's on the order of six Gigantors to keep it running at full capacity. More seems excessive to me.

The Spectrometron has implicit energy requirements due to requiring Kuarqs from the Cyclotron.

No clue what energy usage values would be "realistic". Not something I'm especially concerned about. I'm more concerned about what fits in terms of gameplay.

Hey, got a suggestion:

Make Eurekas generate more slowly, to increase the challenge of operating a space station with a life support mod. I'm thinking an experiment should take 60 days to a year, depending on the complexity.

Otherwise, great mod!

Make Eurekas generate more slowly, to increase the challenge of operating a space station with a life support mod. I'm thinking an experiment should take 60 days to a year, depending on the complexity.

To do this, you can change the "eurekasPerHour" in the cfg for the science lab. I don't want to do it myself because I don't assume a life support mod, and without one, that long a time takes too long even at max time warp, so for those without a life support mod, it's pure tedium.

Also, here's a preview of the models I'll be releasing in the next vesion (shortly after 0.24):

FQ6iFk8l.png

The models are, from left to right, the Science Lab, the Zoology Bay, and the Cyclotron. The emissive lighting effects automatically turn on when the part is "active" working on an experiment, and turn off when they're not.

The models are, from left to right, the Science Lab, the Zoology Bay, and the Cyclotron.

Nice. First you add so much to the game, then you make it even better.

The emissive lighting effects automatically turn on when the part is "active" working on an experiment, and turn off when they're not.

That's awesome.

I get what you're saying, but this isn't a "Docking Port Variants" mod, and I want to avoid feature creep. I have the one because it's needed to work around the relatively high tech placement of the stock docking port, which tended to make additional Science at that point redundant. Adding another variant wouldn't add much in terms of getting Science from Space Stations.

Given that the experiments exist in Sandbox mode, I have no idea what's going on. I see you have another mod installed. Can you try with a fresh install and see if it works?

Thanks, you are correct I have several mods on that game. I started another and it came up well.

To do this, you can change the "eurekasPerHour" in the cfg for the science lab. I don't want to do it myself because I don't assume a life support mod, and without one, that long a time takes too long even at max time warp, so for those without a life support mod, it's pure tedium.

Also, here's a preview of the models I'll be releasing in the next vesion (shortly after 0.24):

http://i.imgur.com/FQ6iFk8l.png

The models are, from left to right, the Science Lab, the Zoology Bay, and the Cyclotron. The emissive lighting effects automatically turn on when the part is "active" working on an experiment, and turn off when they're not.

New Models are magnificent. What is the schedule for release?

Okay, fair enough. Is there any chance of having eurekas be generated per kerbal per hour?

I think I'll add this as an option that can be turned on by those using life support mods. Should be pretty simple.

Thanks, you are correct I have several mods on that game. I started another and it came up well.

If you want to use Station Science with your other mods, see if you can figure out which one causes the conflict (i.e., try adding one at a time), and if you can confirm a conflict with another mod, I'll see what I can do to fix it on my end.

New Models are magnificent. What is the schedule for release?

Thanks!

I intend to release within a few days of the 0.24 KSP release (seems like that should be any day now). That'll depend on whether 0.24 breaks anything, and how hard it is to fix things. I also hope to have contracts integration for that release, but again, that depends on details of 0.24 that I don't know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.