[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Version 0.9 is now available. This version includes:

• [...] This is anticipation of the next update which will add contracts support, that will include additional Science rewards.

So just for clarification please, this means I have to build my Station Science add-ons to my station out of funding left over from other contracts?

Love this mod! Can't wait to see what you think of next! :D

I think that it looks a little strange that new models dont have any hatches, just gray wall on the ends :)

My thinking is the hatches on the Stock parts don't really make sense. If you cover them up with docking ports, or other parts, then they don't matter. You can imagine whatever connectors there need to be, same as with fuel tanks with engines on the bottom. If you leave them exposed, then they're non-functional hatches, and look weird.

btw i think link to materials science and fuel science expnsions shoudl be added to op post.

Good idea. Added them.

Sadly, add me to the list of people experiencing crashes on 0.24 with 64-bit. KSP loads fine all the way to the menu. Attempting to load or create a new game crashes KSP. It might be a conflict between DMagic Orbital Science and this one on science definitions, perhaps? The crashes stop and KSP gets past the menu fine when I remove DMagic altogether. Two mods, attempting to access the same science functions, might be having a head-on?

Thanks for the insight. Will look into this.

So just for clarification please, this means I have to build my Station Science add-ons to my station out of funding left over from other contracts?

For now. Once Contract support is in, you'll get advances like any others. Priobably not enough to finance a station 100% in advance, but it's not like Funds are all that scarce to begin with.

For now. Once Contract support is in, you'll get advances like any others. Priobably not enough to finance a station 100% in advance, but it's not like Funds are all that scarce to begin with.

Well that is certainly true. :P

Thanks ethernet, this is a great mod.

This is great, but ksp's contract systems really aren't.... I wish there where some contracts which told you to "build a station at: x and y" and allowed you to add to it later for more funds...

That's the fantastic thing about the modding community, I'm sure it won't take long for some mod authors to start adding more and better contracts such as station and colony contracts. I was also pretty disappointed about the lack of space station contracts.

This is great, but ksp's contract systems really aren't.... I wish there where some contracts which told you to "build a station at: x and y" and allowed you to add to it later for more funds...

not related to the convo but why is it that so many do not like curse? just curious.

And actually, on a further note, combining Station Science with Materials Science seems to result in a crash, again. This mod does not seem to want to play nice with other science mods loaded on x64 KSP.

Yeah, and this also happens in win32.

What happens to me is that all goes well until I try to EVA out of the core station part of either mod. Then I get a form of Hell Kraken situation where the entire screen goes black except for the GUI stuff around the edges. Either that or the game just crashes by itself after a few seconds. So I can still quit the game normally but can't play it at all with these mods.

Here's a crash log, which I don't know how to read myself:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/atjt7lsiqwi87e0/Station-Orbital%20Material%20Science%20Crash%202014-07-22_081226.zip

What is the correct way to attach the attachtrons? The yellow black stripes to the body or to outside?

Stripes to the outside. You can see the correct orientation in the first screenshot in the OP.

Version 1.0 is out. It adds contracts support.

I have not been able to address any of the reported crash problems. I haven't been able to reproduce them. If you experience instability, please save your KSP.log and send it to me.

I just got a contract to perform the experiment Kuarq Bio-Activity, but I didn't get temporary access to that experiment part, and I don't have it unlocked in the tech tree yet... Can you make it so the contract either gives temporary access to the required parts like the stock contracts do or don't give out contracts for parts that haven't been unlocked?

I just got a contract to perform the experiment Kuarq Bio-Activity, but I didn't get temporary access to that experiment part, and I don't have it unlocked in the tech tree yet... Can you make it so the contract either gives temporary access to the required parts like the stock contracts do or don't give out contracts for parts that haven't been unlocked?

I'm not convinced this is a problem. The contract duration should give plenty of time to unlock it. Why shouldn't unlocking tech be part of completing contracts?

It's not a contract to test the part, it's a contract to use it. That's why you don't get temporary access to it.

74 kerbal days is not really long to unlock the top tier experiment when I just got the first Station Science parts unlocked.

If some Company wants me to do an experiment, and I don't have the necessary equipment, they should provide me with all I need...

74 kerbal days is not really long to unlock the top tier experiment when I just got the first Station Science parts unlocked.

It's four more tech nodes. 74 days should be plenty. A lot of that Science you can get by starting on the station, and doing the experiments themselves (and even more by taking more contracts for lower tier experiments).

If some Company wants me to do an experiment, and I don't have the necessary equipment, they should provide me with all I need...

"All you need" in this case would be the entire tech tree of Station Science parts, plus solar panels. That's short circuiting a lot of gameplay that would otherwise go into unlocking those parts.

Also, you're not obliged to take every contract presented to you. I get that you confused it with a testing contract, though. I'll look into making it more clear in-game that experimental parts are not part of these contracts.

Hello! I tried making a simple experimental station today for the first time just to try out the mod, and I can't get it working. I have a science lab and two plant growth modules, and plenty of power, and four kerbals, but it won't properly start experiments. I created an album showing the problem, which you can see here:

http://imgur.com/a/LbIEB

Any suggestions? Is there something obvious wrong? Did I break it?

I've upgraded to .24.1, so could that be the issue?

Rakh, right after 24.1 came out, Ethernet published a NEW version of this mod.. you likely will have to update.

The problems you mentioned are exactly the problems Ethernet fixed

I like that this mod is tied into the contracts system, however, I find myself in the situation that my contracts menu is full of do experiment x orbiting Duna, or Gilly, or Jool, and I don't have the tech to get out there, and if I cancel the contracts it generates new ones, just as far, and I'm getting almost no stock contracts{because there's so may mod contracts in the list?} the end result being my space program has stalled out due to lack of funds, and no completable contracts. Perhaps there's a way to fine tune the contracts so it steps up less sharply and spams out fewer of your custom ones? :(:)

I'm a bit confused, and not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have left the plant growth experiment running in orbit, connected to a powered and crewed TH-NKR science lab. After activating the experiment, over time it has generated eurekas, and is currently full at 50/50. However, when I right click the pod, there is no "finalize" option, just the temperature, eurekas resource display, and an option labelled "deploy" which instantly disappears when clicked, doing nothing.

When I do this, the debug console displays the following 20 or 30 times in a row:

[ERR 19:21:53.290] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id plantGrowth

[ERR 19:21:53.291] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id progradeKuarqs

Any idea what could be going on? I can give more details if needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.