[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Thank you for the info and your opinion, hab136! It's much appreciated. :)

I didn't know about the ModuleManager config that would prevent my settings from being overwritten with an update.

About the cheating opinion: I don't like overpowering things. If I have to do it, I'll always try to counterbalance it. At the same time, I don't think there's a problem in "cheating" on an open-universe, sandbox, no score/rank, single player game.

Personally, I don't want to believe that changing those values is cheating. My personal opinion about the mod values is that the heavy weights are, yes, justified by the challenge to put them in orbit. I like how it has been done, and I think it's credible. But at the same time, I don't think it's credible having to build a big, massive rocket in order to bring just three cans of food into space. That's what motivated me to change those values.

But then, again, I'd like to know the mod creator's opinion about it: Does he share his thoughts with you, and think the kibbals are just fitting the theme for their massive density? Or could they be considerably lighter and still feel legit?

Thank you once again! Kudos!

Edited by Kowgan

Hey, Ethernet. I caught myself asking it to my monitor screen, so, just out of curiosity, I'll ask you:

Is the kibbal resource designed to be that heavy? Like, way heavier (4000% heavier) than liquid fuel?

I had some failed launches and a big financial loss today, when trying to get three kibbal tanks to space. Basically, due to lack of dV, although a considerably big rocket was built for that.

So, I took the liberty to change some values myself and make things lighter:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Kibbal
[B]density = .04[/B]
unitcost = 1
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
[B]isTweakable = true[/B]
}

Now, my kibbal is 80% lighter - just a bit heavier than the LF+Oxi mix -, plus I got the ability to select how much kibbal I want to fill my containers with, in the VAB.

What are your thoughts about it? Am I cheating? Is it a good idea?

Take care! :)

You can't really say it's 40 times heavier than LF just because the unit mass is that much greater. There's no reason to believe a unit of Kibbal represents the same volume of a unit of LF. I simply picked a unit that represented the amount consumed in one hour of experimentation.

The mass is intentional for the sake of game balance; to create a challenge. But if you don't like the stock mass settings, of course, feel free to make whatever modifications you like. The tweakables thing is an oversight, though. I'll fix that in the next release.

Hi all!

I have a question for you guys: when a StationScience contract wants you to run an experiment ( plant growing etc. ) and return the data, does it mean that you actually have to recover that vessel?

I mean, do I have to deorbit the whole module and recover it at Kerbin, or can I just transmit the data/collect it with a Kerbal and go back to the ground?

The contracts require returning the experiment pods themselves. To be clear: these are the small ~0.1t, 1.25m parts, not the station research facility modules.

Thanks for the answer, Ethernet. I think I've expressed myself poorly. And maybe, I did some wrong math. :) But you're right.

Then, since you're saying that this density value is intentional, now I feel like overpowering the mod, here. :(

You can't really say it's 40 times heavier than LF just because the unit mass is that much greater. There's no reason to believe a unit of Kibbal represents the same volume of a unit of LF. I simply picked a unit that represented the amount consumed in one hour of experimentation.

The mass is intentional for the sake of game balance; to create a challenge. But if you don't like the stock mass settings, of course, feel free to make whatever modifications you like. The tweakables thing is an oversight, though. I'll fix that in the next release.

The contracts require returning the experiment pods themselves. To be clear: these are the small ~0.1t, 1.25m parts, not the station research facility modules.

Thank you. I'll figure out how to return them safely with DRE, but first... I need bigger engines. I hardly managed to put a single science lab in orbit with a skipper and 4 globe x2 boosters from KW.

I wanted to add the zoology bay and some kibbal; 25t for the bay is ok, but 20t for the large kibbal storage... yes, that's kinda too difficult. The 2.5m kibbal container weighs almost as much as a thing many times bigger than it. Ok, the zoology bay is hollow inside, but it's still a lot larger. I agree with you about the whole challenge stuff, but kibbals are negatively OP in this way. If I were in you, I'd think about reducing a bit their density ( maybe 0.5x or 0.75x )

However, if Kibbals are made of the same materials all KSP celestial bodies are... they should even weigh more :asd:

Hi All,

Having problems with this mod, the contracts have no duration and therefore expire as soon as they are accepted. Wouldn't be a problem but it does kinda leave me with no money!

Any Ideas???

Please send me a persistent.sfs file where you have such zero-duration contracts available.

These contracts have pretty much ruined my career mode considering I want to land on the mun before building a big space station, problem is 99% of my contracts in the job building is pertaining to performing one of the later game experiments around places like mun or minmus :(I miss all my other contracts) of which I've never even sent kerbal. What I'm asking is, how do I disable this mod from developing contracts? ( as they're the only source of income )

PS: Love this mod by the way, although preferably it'd be nice to be able to significantly reduce the amount of contracts instead of disable all of them but atm I need them gone or my save game is done for.

Edited by Soviet03

These contracts have pretty much ruined my career mode considering I want to land on the mun before building a big space station, problem is 99% of my contracts in the job building is pertaining to performing one of the later game experiments around places like mun or minmus :(I miss all my other contracts) of which I've never even sent kerbal. What I'm asking is, how do I disable this mod from developing contracts? ( as they're the only source of income )

PS: Love this mod by the way, although preferably it'd be nice to be able to significantly reduce the amount of contracts instead of disable all of them but atm I need them gone or my save game is done for.

Are you running the latest version? For a while now, it's been set up so that you should only get contracts for places you've been to already.

If you reject the Station Science contracts, do other ones not show up that aren't Station Science?

^ Yes I'm running the latest version of the game and this mod. I've landed unmanned probes to both mun and minmus so that must be why those specific ones are showing, however I've sat down for 20 minutes before just canceling/deleting the contracts asking me to perform one of the station science experiments and they constantly come back. As of now all of my contracts I've seen recently aside from one I got last night for a parachute test has been station science. (Again as said I've spent a lot of time declining these contracts, when I get new ones to replace them they're still station science. Its like these mod contracts are getting a selecting priority or something. I like this mod and I like its contracts however at this time its not only hurting me economically in game but it feels very much over powering and I find myself "missing" all other contracts.)

Edited by Soviet03

I've been struggling with the "deploy" instead of "finalize results" bug. I've searched high and low in this thread and have tried every troubleshooting step (that I could find) but to no avail, so I'm at a loss. I've even taken all the text from all my ScienceDefs.cfg files and compiled them into the GameData/Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg file. Can I get any help?

I've decided I'm going to go ahead and try and edit the mod in order to either reduce or disable contracts from it, I have the needed software to edit DLL. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I open the file within "plugins"? I've gotten into it but from what I can see it only contains titles and version information.

I'm part way there so any helping pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've been struggling with the "deploy" instead of "finalize results" bug. I've searched high and low in this thread and have tried every troubleshooting step (that I could find) but to no avail, so I'm at a loss. I've even taken all the text from all my ScienceDefs.cfg files and compiled them into the GameData/Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg file. Can I get any help?

Are there any duplicate definitions? I.e., the same experiment defined twice?

I've decided I'm going to go ahead and try and edit the mod in order to either reduce or disable contracts from it, I have the needed software to edit DLL. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I open the file within "plugins"? I've gotten into it but from what I can see it only contains titles and version information.

I'm part way there so any helping pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'll be adding a limit for the release for when 0.90 comes out.

But if you want to edit the DLL, you should be using the source code in the Source directory. Then you can make whatever changes you want, and recompile.

I'll be adding a limit for the release for when 0.90 comes out.

But if you want to edit the DLL, you should be using the source code in the Source directory. Then you can make whatever changes you want, and recompile.

Cool, I guess I can wait until the next update although if I change my mind I'll take your advice thanks!

PS: As a mod author myself (for another game, which doesn't update and brake my mod) I really admire your willingness to keep on updating your mod. That takes commitment and time. Respect.

Version 1.4 has been released. Features include:

• Support for KSP v0.90 (this version does not support KSP v0.25 or earlier)
  • Cap to number of contracts StationScience will offer (up to 4 in Active or Offered state)
  • Scientist Kerbals boost Eureka and Bioproduct production of the module they occupy. This bonus scales with level.
  • Decreased masses, due to new restrictions on career mode
  • Bug fix: recovery from Tracking Station will now complete contracts correctly

• Cap to number of contracts StationScience will offer (up to 4 in Active or Offered state)
  • Scientist Kerbals boost Eureka and Bioproduct production of the module they occupy. This bonus scales with level.

Page not found... I guess Curse is being, well, curse again.

Not in this mod. You could probably modify Karbonite to do it pretty easily, but I haven't looked into it.

OK, was just wondering. Can probably, if I want it enough, make me some module manager config to change the requirements from Kibbals to Food (life suport stuff), so I can use greenhouses to make it :)

Is there a way to override the Cap on how many StationScience contracts appear?

A problem with contracts:

I've just done plant growth twice, once while orbiting kerbin, and another while orbiting mun

I've got two contracts, one for kerbin and another for mun.

The mun one contract was finalized, but the kerbin one doesn't has the mark around 'Complete in orbit around kerbin'

I even tried resetting and redoing it (this time at alt of 260000) but it still doesn't work

Any idea what's the problem ?

I also hit the same bug with my Kerbin missions not being finalized. Not sure why. Reading previous posts, you can work around this by hitting ALT-F12 and clicking "Contracts" and then "Com" next to the mission to complete it if it doesn't automatically complete.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.