[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

3 minutes ago, tomf said:

Great! What sort of timescale are you looking at for launching v2 with breaking changes?

I really can't say with much precision. I haven't seen the actual model files yet. Order of weeks, I suppose.

I'm also not certain how breaking the changes will be. It might just be visual; that radial parts attached to Station Science parts might appear to "float" over the surface of the new parts.

Edited by ethernet

The new parts have the same dimensions as the original parts.  The only real changes are with the Cyclotron and Spectrometron.  The models for those are a bit more detailed now.  The collision meshes also cover the support bars on the models so that you can attach stuff there.

The labs will fit but the Cyclotron will not.  The cyclotron will be a challenge to get into orbit (just like a real cyclotron would be).  You could use Nertia's space plane parts to get it up if you must do it by space plane.

I'm looking forward to trying this mod out once 2.0 hits.  Looks fun!  I do have a few questions.

1. This mod's science-generation supplements rather than replaces the stock science system, as I understand it.  Can you generate all needed science with the mod, or do you need to do some of the usual early-game experiments with goo, Science Jr, thermometer, etc.?

2. Is it compatible with other tech trees -- specifically, the Engineering Tech Tree?

3. Is it compatible with New Horizons or the Outer Planets Mod?

4. I see severedsolo has said it's compatible with his Bases & Stations pack, which I enjoy a lot.  Do his contracts mesh well with the contracts in this mod?

Many thanks!

23 minutes ago, Mister Spock said:

1. This mod's science-generation supplements rather than replaces the stock science system, as I understand it.  Can you generate all needed science with the mod, or do you need to do some of the usual early-game experiments with goo, Science Jr, thermometer, etc.?

You still need early game experiments, as far as I remember the experiments this mod have only gave science in space and are unlocked later on the tech-tree.

42 minutes ago, Mister Spock said:

I'm looking forward to trying this mod out once 2.0 hits.  Looks fun!  I do have a few questions.

2. Is it compatible with other tech trees -- specifically, the Engineering Tech Tree?

3. Is it compatible with New Horizons or the Outer Planets Mod?

4. I see severedsolo has said it's compatible with his Bases & Stations pack, which I enjoy a lot.  Do his contracts mesh well with the contracts in this mod?

Many thanks!

1. I suppose it's theoretically possible to unlock the whole tree never using the stock science parts (use Science from contracts to unlock Station Science parts, then use those the rest of the way), but that's certainly not the way it's intended to be used.

It is, however, intended to replace the stock Mobile Processing Lab. I don't disable it, but in terms of balance, the games probably overly easy if you use both.

2. I would expect so; this mod puts the parts into the stock tree in the usual way.

3. There won't be contracts generated for the other planets, but the experiments themselves should work.

4. Looks like they should; they are different, but complementary.

@VaPaL the parts and experiments work on the surface as well (just not on Kerbin itself), but contracts for the surface aren't generated, since base construction isn't well-supported in the stock game.

Edited by ethernet

CKAN still lists this mod as being keyed for KSP v1.0.4.  Is there a CKAN update in the pipeline for v1.1.x?  The announcement a few tiles back indicates v1.1, but not v1.1.1.  (oi these version numbers are at an annoying-to-type state, huh? :-p )

6 hours ago, MisterFister said:

CKAN still lists this mod as being keyed for KSP v1.0.4.  Is there a CKAN update in the pipeline for v1.1.x?  The announcement a few tiles back indicates v1.1, but not v1.1.1.  (oi these version numbers are at an annoying-to-type state, huh? :-p )

I don't manage the CKAN listing.

1.1.1 came out yesterday. The mod almost certainly still works, but I haven't tried yet.

7 hours ago, ethernet said:

I don't manage the CKAN listing.

1.1.1 came out yesterday. The mod almost certainly still works, but I haven't tried yet.

Alrighty then.  Be advised, I am specifically not asking for an update or for any estimates on when an update could become available.  Instead, I'm noting in this thread that development is continuing, but the CKAN flagging for it seems like it's more out of date than activity on this forum would suggest.  I was simply asking whose attention I'd bring that to if not yourself.  (Full disclosure, I backed up my v1.1 install and am intentionally operating from a sterile copy of v1.1.1, and CKAN defaults to a rather persnickety enforcement of version number mismatches, no matter how slight.)

It's a great mod, but there is a bug when I finalize results in creature comfort it can't complete again because there is missing place for bioproducts. (Maybe because I am using a 1.5 version of this mod on KSP 1.0.5

PS. Could you make a smaller version of Cyclotron, because you unlock 3.75 meters parts later than Cyclotron and quarks experiments. 

(Sorry for my English, I'm from Poland) 

7 hours ago, kswiorek said:

It's a great mod, but there is a bug when I finalize results in creature comfort it can't complete again because there is missing place for bioproducts. (Maybe because I am using a 1.5 version of this mod on KSP 1.0.5

PS. Could you make a smaller version of Cyclotron, because you unlock 3.75 meters parts later than Cyclotron and quarks experiments.

I have been unable to reproduce the bioproducts issue. When I reset a finalized creature comforts experiment, starting the experiment again works, correctly discarding the old bioproducts. This is on the latest version. I'm not able to support old versions, but I don't know what would have changed.

Regarding Cyclotron, you certainly don't need 3.75m parts to launch it. The 2.5m fairing easily encloses it, and a fairly straightforward 2.5m rocket can deliver it to orbit.

I'm having a weird issue with the Station Science experiment modules not showing up. The research lab is in the proper node where it should be, but there are no experiment modules to accompany it.

p2ZlJG8.png

My mod list (installed through CKAN):

* Toolbar
* Community Resource Pack
* DMagic Orbital Science
* KAS/KIS
* Kerbal Engineer Redux
* Kerbal Alarm Clock
* SCANsat
* Universal Storage

So there are no mods that affect the tech tree or contract system as far as I can tell, the tech tree is fully stock and the Part.cfg files in the respective directories show the correct science node. The parts are loaded in the database and I can see no weird messages in the log.

1 hour ago, VaPaL said:

@Stoney3K I had this problem before, in 1.0.5. Here is whats solved it

Not sure if it's the same that's happening to you, but must be worth a try.

Confirmed, that fixed it. Apparently the folder name is different when contained in the archive (/GameData/StationScience) and the folder created when extracting was named differently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.