[Idea] Cosmic Radiation Plugin?

Boosterspice

Hello,

I was talking to a friend of mine when something hit me: cosmic radiation (very little of it though)

Seriously though. Cosmic radiation is a real challenging problem in our world. It makes timing EVAs very important, and spaceships need radiation shields to prevent the components from being fried.

This would be a really interesting plugin to make, as it will make the whole game more interesting and challenging, both in design and in flight. Also, it would require new parts such as radiation shields.

I lack the skill to do this, but I hope someone will at least give it a serious thought.

There is an old neutrino plugin that acted like a measurement tool. Didnt do anything other than give readings. Was designed to be a puzzle for ppl to work out the source of the neutrinos by sending probes all over the kerbalverse.

It's something I've thought about for KSP Interstellar. I'm already half way by modelling planetary magnetic fields and the amount of charged particles trapped in Van Allen belts but I'm still working on a good way to transplant this into something that might make a good game mechanic. It's easy enough for electronics but it's tough to store information about Kerbals, and indeed to have any way of non-lethally penalising a Kerbal if you could.

For starters, it doesn't have to lethal to kerbals. As you say, that would be difficult to incorporate. However, as an idea for your wonderful parts, you could add something that would fry your electronics if they get too close to the sun without having been upgraded to be radiation proof. Might work for structural parts as well, if you think of it as overheat.

@togfox,

Yes, i remember that one. Maybe that would be a good starting point for some inspiration for a plugin?

Edited by Boosterspice
Grammar Nazi attack

So it'll work a little like the old neutrino plugin?

No, it's just gonna be a regular experiment. I might give it some actual role if I get more experienced with plugin development, but for now it's just gonna be something you can perform in space around planets and the Sun...

• 1 month later...

I've looked around on the forum, and it seems that random solar flares are out of the question. So, I have an idea. The Tracking Station has a timer for when the next solar flare hits. You can also add a part to keep track of the solar flares. As for protection, you can have either physical shields or already shielded parts at the expense of weight, or you could have energy shields that require power to keep operational. When the solar flare hits, the tracker then tells you have long it's going to last, which is randomly determined by the plugin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.