[1.4.3]ALCOR,"Advanced Landing Capsule for Orbital Rendezvous" by ASET (08/02/2017)

alexustas

Wow, are you even going to do an interplanetary command pod? If you are still going to do the modular pods we are going to get a lot of stuff! Your dedication is incredible, IVA is so underconsidered in vanilla, so your work is very appreciated!

I ran a minmus mission today, entirely IVA with the HUD turned off via F2, only occasionally switching to Map View to add nodes. This mod is wonderful.

"Current TWR" is the info field I never knew I needed... incredibly helpful for landing! Going too fast, put the number just above one, want to descend a bit faster and peg it at <1. Now I've had some of my best landings ever, entirely in IVA.

Also, fixed the ActiveTextureManagement issue... for now I just blacklisted anything in the /ASET folder, cleared the cache, and now everything is clear and sharp.

Holy crap, that attention to detail in the pod is stunning. I love being able to manually crank open the inner airlock door to go EVA. The Engineer displays are great too; the secondary screens are useful for putting up a biome map and ship log that didn't fit on the primaries :D Also, the little velcroed-on timers are both super-cute and really help make useful information salient, especially time-to-node. The MFD UI in this version is a lot better as well. --- a release of this to put on my other RPM displays would be fantastic.

I can't even explain how excited I am for that. I mean between the lander pod and the upcoming and pod you are completely changing the way people play KSP. Full missions completed IVA, that is an incredible option. Even if they don't want to do it IVA the pods are beautiful to look at. Well done!

Any plans to finish of that awesome looking habitat ?

I have much more plans and desires than i can do because lack of time

ALCOR is nearing completion and now I thinks about what will be my next project. I going to open a poll and anybody can choose and show his opinion...

Fantastic work!

And in gratitude for saving the lives of 12 Kerbals for the brake switch, we shall sacrifice 100 Kerbals to ALCOR! wooo! :D

If I may be permitted to make a few minor requests to fully round out the lander...

1. The ability to set the navball orientation in IVA (ie: from vertical to horizontal for rover use) would be awesome, though I suspect that implementing that might actually be quite difficult.
  2. The engineering station only offers redundant features of the pilot station rather than parts status and life support/etc. Is it possible to add the ability to display those so when we jump to the engineering station we can see them?
  3. Would it be possible to add a science station that can activate and monitor actual science experiments and sensors, and even transmit data from IVA? I understand programming-wise that is more Mihara's realm, I'm just asking if it could be implemented in the lander space-wise... or do you have some other plans for that third crewmember?

All in all, very impressive. It only reduces the framerate an acceptable bit on my ancient computer in IVA, and I can't wait to see what else you have coming.

The ability to set the navball orientation in IVA (ie: from vertical to horizontal for rover use) would be awesome, though I suspect that implementing that might actually be quite difficult.

Trivial, actually, because it already works. :)

1. Place a probe core on your rover in a correct orientation.
  2. Select it in the targeting menu as the reference part.

Navball is always oriented according to the current reference part, so if your core is oriented correctly so will be the navball.

Would it be possible to add a science station that can activate and monitor actual science experiments and sensors, and even transmit data from IVA? I understand programming-wise that is more Mihara's realm, I'm just asking if it could be implemented in the lander space-wise... or do you have some other plans for that third crewmember?

Getting at science values and science control is on the books somewhere... I'd really love if RPM could be more of a community effort though, I don't always have the time for all the things alexustas has in his feature request list. :)

Also, fixed the ActiveTextureManagement issue... for now I just blacklisted anything in the /ASET folder, cleared the cache, and now everything is clear and sharp.

So how did you manage it? When I tried, it only screwed up the textures for the windows and RPM screens so they became all white.

Trivial, actually, because it already works. :)

Gah! I hadn't realized I could do that using the targeting system... and yet it was so obvious. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

That said, I still wouldn't mind just flipping a switch and saving me a cubic strut and a probe core. :wink:

Getting at science values and science control is on the books somewhere... I'd really love if RPM could be more of a community effort though, I don't always have the time for all the things alexustas has in his feature request list. :)

What you need are some of these:

_2352.jpg

I have much more plans and desires than i can do because lack of time

ALCOR is nearing completion and now I thinks about what will be my next project. I going to open a poll and anybody can choose and show his opinion...

Given the incredible effort put into this I can't help but feel disappointed that I am limited to using it only on landers (I know I'm not actually limited, but my brain requires me to impose such restrictions). So if you're still looking for suggestions for a next project I would recommend making the command bridge of a large interplanetary vessel. The kind of thing that would be launched up in multiple parts and pieced together in orbit. Having a decent-sized bridge (with enough room for around 4 kerbals and 1 commander) with this level of detail would be a dream come true for me. :D

6YaoxvN.png

I dont know if its a bug but I feel I need to report it. It happens with the Vessel View screen. Its easily fixed by reseting the screen but just wanted to let you know, it does happen more often than not. OEP65XY.png

Hmm, little oddity I noticed: the IVA patch I have refers to ALCOR Pod (A), but the ALCOR.cfg in ALCOR_LanderCapsule refers to ALCOR Pod (B). This has the interesting effect of applying the Mk1-2 interior without RPM because the patch is pointing to something that doesn't exist.

Have I somehow mixed up files somewhere or something? I'll check the zip I downloaded, shouldn't be anything wrong in there, because it's worked before (but I haven't changed anything in any of the cfgs since then either). Either way, it's a simple enough fix, it looks like.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.