[1.4.3]ALCOR,"Advanced Landing Capsule for Orbital Rendezvous" by ASET (08/02/2017)

alexustas

We'll see. Meanwhile, since I wasn't asked to keep it secret, I'll say that I've just helped BobCat debug a configuration problem on a new pod. The ball component wasn't starting up correctly. :cool:

Bobcat has uploaded a video. Is it just me, or has he somehow managed to stretch the navball? :)

Do they actually do anything to recognise capsules automatically in the first place?

I was under the impression that IonCross looks for certain text when trying to recognize command pods, but I might be horribly mistaken. I'll have to look into it.

These camera's are crazy. The new interior is looking sharp too, it looks even more like a real control panel now.

The only thing I am unsure about is the abort button. It seems to be that you would need to access that easily in case of an emergency and I doubt whether that is possible in the current location.

I came across this pretty cool site for some more inspiration :)

I love this capsule and I really want to use it for a lander, but I'm having some issues with ladder placement. I cannot seem to attach a ladder directly under the crew hatch as the underside slims down to 1.5 meters. I'm finding myself constantly wishing the bottom was 2.5m. Any chance for a really nice integrated ladder or (even better) a 2.5 meter version of the capsule?

I love this capsule and I really want to use it for a lander, but I'm having some issues with ladder placement. I cannot seem to attach a ladder directly under the crew hatch as the underside slims down to 1.5 meters. I'm finding myself constantly wishing the bottom was 2.5m. Any chance for a really nice integrated ladder or (even better) a 2.5 meter version of the capsule?

There were plans to make special tanks, both for use as a two-stage lander and for a single stage use, as well as a 2.5m adapter. There would be a special place for the ladder on those. But the IVA got us sidetracked. :)

I can't lower/raise landing gear with the switch but if I press G in external or internal view it works and also the lever is pushed automatically. But if I pull the lever for Gears in internal view ,nothing happens. Even though the lever is also switching...

Cannot replicate the problem. Mind you, the gear action starts as "on" in KSP (because it also does aircraft gears which need to start open) so the first press on the G / click on the switch will just revert them to the state they are in. Which legs are you using?

There were plans to make special tanks, both for use as a two-stage lander and for a single stage use, as well as a 2.5m adapter. There would be a special place for the ladder on those. But the IVA got us sidetracked. :)

Cannot replicate the problem. Mind you, the gear action starts as "on" in KSP (because it also does aircraft gears which need to start open) so the first press on the G / click on the switch will just revert them to the state they are in. Which legs are you using?

LEgs from NovaPunch so it is just a mod incompatibality? I guess it maybe is.... Can't repeat it with stock legs but will do in about 10 minutes , but I guess it will work with them....

LEgs from NovaPunch so it is just a mod incompatibality? I guess it maybe is.... Can't repeat it with stock legs but will do in about 10 minutes , but I guess it will work with them....

It definitely works with stock legs. Try making sure that your legs are added to the "Gear" action group.

There is still enough space on the capsule itself to place a ladder as long as you use shift+W/S to turn it correctly.

RIGBkec.png

My God.. The IVA IS AMAZIING! You need to implement some IVA Props into the other stock cockpits.. ITs Just so awesome.. I Want this quality in more than just the Landing capsule..

If I could give you a hug all the way from California I would.

Excellent update!

It would be a nice touch to make the screens go blank if the power fails.

Perhaps thats been suggested elsewhere in the thread, and you guys are already thinking it over but regardless, this is amazing work and I can't wait to see where its going next.

Thanks for the best lander in KSP.

It would be a nice touch to make the screens go blank if the power fails.

I've actually been thinking about that today, but I need to read up on how electricity flows in KSP first. :)

EDIT: Correction, I don't, since I don't want to consume it and the calculator module already knows how much electricity you have. Implemented, will be in the next version. :)

Edited by Mihara

I've actually been thinking about that today, but I need to read up on how electricity flows in KSP first. :)

EDIT: Correction, I don't, since I don't want to consume it and the calculator module already knows how much electricity you have. Implemented, will be in the next version. :)

Well, that is done too, so in the next version of the plugin it will be enabled by default and will work automatically with this release of ALCOR. :)

Brilliant. There should be a downside to using hi tech parts, and losing all your flight instruments is one hell of a downside.

May I ask your reason for wanting the pod to consume no power? I was going to suggest scaling power consumption with instrument usage so precious energy could be conserved if required. I would imagine that all this hardware would also generate a fair amount of heat, which would be neat to add should Squad implement the mechanics soonTM.

May I ask your reason for wanting the pod to consume no power? I was going to suggest scaling power consumption with instrument usage so precious energy could be conserved if required. I would imagine that all this hardware would also generate a fair amount of heat, which would be neat to add should Squad implement the mechanics soonTM.

Two reasons:

1. There is no rhyme nor reason to the scale of ElectricCharge across the board and no consensus whatsoever on what a unit of ElectricCharge is. All stock resources have that problem, but for ElectricCharge it's the absolute worst. That makes figuring out just what kind of consumption is appropriate a problem I don't want to solve. What, exactly, does your average ModuleCommand consume power for, anyway? If you feel it is appropriate for the pod to consume more power, increase that consumption instead.
  2. If a screen is your main and only source of information, you don't design a pod where screen power consumption could possibly matter enough that you would save a non-negligible amount of power by turning it off. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.