[1.4.3]ALCOR,"Advanced Landing Capsule for Orbital Rendezvous" by ASET (08/02/2017)

alexustas

[*]If a screen is your main and only source of information, you don't design a pod where screen power consumption could possibly matter enough that you would save a non-negligible amount of power by turning it off. :)

Remember they had to do something similar with Apollo 13. Even though it did not have a glass cockpit, the astronauts had to turn critical computers off to reduce power consumption. Even though today's technology is more advanced, it is still possible to face such a situation.

Remember they had to do something similar with Apollo 13. Even though it did not have a glass cockpit, the astronauts had to turn critical computers off to reduce power consumption. Even though today's technology is more advanced, it is still possible to face such a situation.

They did not "turn critical computers off" but shut down the entire command pod, without selecting which element to power down and which to leave on -- whatever computing they had from then on was on the LEM, which had independent everything.

Exactly this. Also, the player should have to work a bit for tech like this. Sure you can make kerbal life easy with this lander, you have already made IVA flight 90% more do-able, but there should be a cost for this. I do however agree that the electricity side of KSP is messed up a bit and might be best left alone. I find adding solar panels and batteries in KSP is something you have to do rather than something you have to think about.

Sure you can make kerbal life easy with this lander, you have already made IVA flight 90% more do-able, but there should be a cost for this.

If you disagree with costs already presented, set them up and pay them yourself, we have no intention whatsoever to get into a long and pointless discussion about what the cost should be. :)

They did not "turn critical computers off" but shut down the entire command pod, without selecting which element to power down and which to leave on -- whatever computing they had from then on was on the LEM, which had independent everything.

I would consider critical computers included when you turn everything off :D

Not only did they have to shut down the entire CM, IIRC they even had to disable the biggest power users in the LM to stretch what little power they had to get them back, Remember the LM was NOT designed to be used for the extended period of time that they needed to get back to earth on it's own. It was a short term module designed to get the astronauts to the moon and back to the CM, without the SM's Fuel cells they had a quite limited amount of power with which to work. Heck they used the Abort Guidance System for most of the flight rather than the Primary one because it used less water and power, Also let's not forget they had to create an entire powerup procedure for the CM because they never bothered to think that a situation might occur that would force a full shutdown of the CM, and they had to write it to make use of the very limited power that remained after the trip back from the moon.....

Not only did they have to shut down the entire CM, IIRC they even had to disable the biggest power users in the LM to stretch what little power they had to get them back, Remember the LM was NOT designed to be used for the extended period of time that they needed to get back to earth on it's own. It was a short term module designed to get the astronauts to the moon and back to the CM, without the SM's Fuel cells they had a quite limited amount of power with which to work. Heck they used the Abort Guidance System for most of the flight rather than the Primary one because it used less water and power, Also let's not forget they had to create an entire powerup procedure for the CM because they never bothered to think that a situation might occur that would force a full shutdown of the CM, and they had to write it to make use of the very limited power that remained after the trip back from the moon.....

Pfft. Newbs! Don't they know you have to tech for solar panels early?

They likely used fuel cells over solar panels because the fuel cells produces potable(Drinkable) water as a byproduct of their power generation process, So they generate both Electricity and Water that could be used for drinking or cooling various systems on board. Also given the fact that the CM sat atop the LM's fairings the risk of solar panels being damaged during ascent was likely too high and making doors to shield them would've added critical weight and operational complexities......

One of the most universal rules seems to be K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid), The apollo program was often just that, at least as much as a program to send a Man to the moon could be.....

They likely used fuel cells over solar panels because the fuel cells produces potable(Drinkable) water as a byproduct of their power generation process, So they generate both Electricity and Water that could be used for drinking or cooling various systems on board. Also given the fact that the CM sat atop the LM's fairings the risk of solar panels being damaged during ascent was likely too high and making doors to shield them would've added critical weight and operational complexities......

One of the most universal rules seems to be K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid), The apollo program was often just that, at least as much as a program to send a Man to the moon could be.....

There ya go!

Sorry, I've got Asperger's Syndrome, a lower level form of Autism. Can't recognize a joke to save my life......

Sorry, I did not intend to be rude. I did like your explanation as it contains some insight into the lunar landing technologies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.