[1.4.3]ALCOR,"Advanced Landing Capsule for Orbital Rendezvous" by ASET (08/02/2017)

alexustas

My idea on flatness is under the condition of within some angle to vertical and some specified AGL value to raycast three yardsticks in a conical formation and measure their distances.

As a side note... It turned out to be much, much easier because data from a raycast includes the normal of the surface the raycast hit. So beyond SCANsat support, the next version will have proper slope measurement.

Anyway you could release a dev version with the maps or maybe just upload the prop files we can tryout the scansat mod on it? Is it some simple code one could paste into the files to get it on screen?

It's quite a bit more complex than that, so give it a few days.

Are there only two monitors now? Also, can't wait to see this get used in planes or orbital cockpits!

Yes, after giving it a lot of thought, I have decided to change the capsule to have only one pilot seat with two passenger seats, that should be more convenient to fly.

Yes, after giving it a lot of thought, I have decided to change the capsule to have only one pilot seat with two passenger seats, that should be more convenient to fly.

That sounds cool! Is the docking section and the two big monitors to the left and right still operative?

To be honest, it looks like a step in the wrong direction. Where before it looked and felt like a real instrument panel, it is now a little... sparse.

However, I have all the confidence you will make this work. You showed you understand what is important before and I can imagine it is only a matter of time before we have a beautiful and logical cockpit again. A single control seat does make sense from the perspective of the story.

Yeah, the point of putting 3 guys in ship is that they can share duties. I'd set one up as a navigator station with mapping and orbital data (apo, peri, altitude, etc.) as the intended function and the other as a flight engineer with the flight log and ship data (fuel, power, dV, etc), and various other controls. In some ways it would be easier to fly IVA this way, as you can switch cameras faster than you can pan around, so the player could set up those other stations as they desire and be able to quickly cycle around. Would seem more realistic as well. You'd expect to have the other two guys calling out information while the pilot operates the navigational controls, and doing things like lowering gear, lights, etc.

So, I don't disagree with the direction, just needs to be fleshed out a bit.

Yeah, the point of putting 3 guys in ship is that they can share duties. I'd set one up as a navigator station with mapping and orbital data (apo, peri, altitude, etc.) as the intended function and the other as a flight engineer with the flight log and ship data (fuel, power, dV, etc), and various other controls. In some ways it would be easier to fly IVA this way, as you can switch cameras faster than you can pan around, so the player could set up those other stations as they desire and be able to quickly cycle around. Would seem more realistic as well. You'd expect to have the other two guys calling out information while the pilot operates the navigational controls, and doing things like lowering gear, lights, etc.

So, I don't disagree with the direction, just needs to be fleshed out a bit.

It sounds like a nice idea and could probably be even more realistic, but there just isn't that much to control in the game in the first place to give enough work to three crew members. The pilot will need most of the information and control inputs that are possible, and the others will at best end up with one MFD and a couple switches, which will make their consoles look even more sparse.

Yeah, the point of putting 3 guys in ship is that they can share duties... -SNIP-

Which wouldn't suit my play style at all. I fly only 2 Kerbals in the lander pod, Apollo-style. That would leave one IVA position, and one set of readouts, unusable. I would much rather have all the panels available from one seat. There's only me piloting, not a whole crew, and I have to aggregate and act on all that data anyway. Might as well be in one place for ease of access.

Edited by Jack Wolfe
Ninja'd by Alexustas!

Have to say i prefer the old IVA.

But one must take into consideration that the new one is likely not finished (not that the old one was either) and the new one is likely more functional for people who actaully do IVA flights.

Have to say i prefer the old IVA.

But one must take into consideration that the new one is likely not finished (not that the old one was either) and the new one is likely more functional for people who actaully do IVA flights.

Of course it's not finished :), right now I'm only working on the new layout that would be more convenient for a single pilot and would have less active props to improve performance.

I actually like the current screen/button layout...however it does not go well with the way the Kerbals are seated. Would be much more fluid for IVA only missions if there was a single seat centered on the main 'dash' panel (the bit with the 3 screens and buttons around them). As is to do IVE missions your always looking at everything at an angle. If a single seat was centralized you could look dead on at main info (not to mention the landing window) and only be looking a secondary info at an angle.

I actually like the current screen/button layout...however it does not go well with the way the Kerbals are seated. Would be much more fluid for IVA only missions if there was a single seat centered on the main 'dash' panel (the bit with the 3 screens and buttons around them). As is to do IVE missions your always looking at everything at an angle. If a single seat was centralized you could look dead on at main info (not to mention the landing window) and only be looking a secondary info at an angle.

You mean something like this arrangement?

1zzjdea.png

A 120 deg symmetric positioning around a more or less open middle space with equipment /snack storage on the left and right.

Yes, like that, at least the pilot seat. Would work if the passenger seats were off-set behind the pilot seat

kinda like this:

. ^

^ ^

Really any configuration with a seat centered on the main control console I think would improve IVA playability.

Even as is its really the only pod in game (I know of) where you can actually fly a mission fully from IVA.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

To get the SCANsat integration:

1. Go to this thread and DL Mihara's Plugin

2. DL this package and put 'MFD40x15.cfg' file into '/GameData/ASET/ASET_Lander_Cabin01/Props\MFD40x15/' with replace, and 'MapDisplay' folder into '/GameData/ASET/ASET_Lander_Cabin01/Props/'

Edited by alexustas

To get the SCANsat integration:

1. Go to this thread and DL Mihara's Plugin

2. DL this package and put 'MFD40x15.cfg' file into '/GameData/ASET/ASET_Lander_Cabin01/Props\MFD40x15/' with replace, and 'MapDisplay' folder into '/GameData/ASET/ASET_Lander_Cabin01/Props/'

Thanks for this little update , was just using the Scansat with Mihara's plugin and loving it now i can geek out in the ACLOR with it!

It sounds like a nice idea and could probably be even more realistic, but there just isn't that much to control in the game in the first place to give enough work to three crew members. The pilot will need most of the information and control inputs that are possible, and the others will at best end up with one MFD and a couple switches, which will make their consoles look even more sparse.

Well, I make the suggestion for two reasons:

1) There's too much information to show IVA in a realistic manner. Your screens to the left/right/above are largely out of view. You can pan, but that's slow. 'v' is faster. So, you have a built-in workspace function. Set up Bill and Bob's stations in the back the way that suits you for your mission, and you can quickly cycle from view to view.

2) Navigation and flying aren't typically done simultaneously, so a 2nd workspace for that makes sense - a large screen for the map, and a small screen for . Even if the 3rd station is just flight information, orbit/rendezvous, etc. that would be handy to cycle to.

In fact, if performance is an issue, I'd almost prefer to move the side large monitor to the back, and take that small one above to the right and move it to the back as well. Panning IVA is very slow, so you absolutely can't have any information up there that you would be dependent on during a flight maneuver.

In fact, if performance is an issue, I'd almost prefer to move the side large monitor to the back, and take that small one above to the right and move it to the back as well. Panning IVA is very slow, so you absolutely can't have any information up there that you would be dependent on during a flight maneuver.

Unfortunately moving the monitors out of view will not at all improve performance.

Does anyone have a link to documentation on how to use the MFD's. I've been poking around on them but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything.

I'm also having difficulty getting the SCANsat integration working, I downloaed the DLL, but "MAP?" is still displayed on the MFD's. I'm not sure what thread to post on to get help with that.

Does anyone have a link to documentation on how to use the MFD's. I've been poking around on them but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything.

I'm also having difficulty getting the SCANsat integration working, I downloaed the DLL, but "MAP?" is still displayed on the MFD's. I'm not sure what thread to post on to get help with that.

On the first start you must add to vessel a SCAN sensor or "MapTraq" device ))

Also, maybe check this post again

On the first start you must add to vessel a SCAN sensor or "MapTraq" device ))

Also, maybe check this post again

Fixed it. Turns out I had two rasterpropmonitor.dll files inside the GAMEDATA\JSI folder One under just the GAMEDATA\JSI folder and one in GAMEDATA\JSI\RasterPropMonitor\Plugins

I renamed the first one to .old and then re-launched KSP. It looks like the Alcor pod download includes/at one time included the RasterPropMonitor.dll just under the JSI folder, whereas the plugin download itself places it under RasterPropMonitor\Plugins.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.