[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Ok, first, there's two different conversations going on here and you're replying to something I directed at Nansuchao and I think there's some wires getting crossed here.

Regarding file hosting, I use Dropbox, as do many others on the forums, either for sharing log files or even hosting small mods. You get several gigs free.

Now, about using only parts of Deadly Reentry, I can't make that promise but I think that you can probably get away with removing the config files which is where most of the thermal modifications happen. However, Jool is going to be problematic for you with or without Deadly Reentry. That's been a known issue since KSP 1.0 came out and the problem is mainly due to the fact its atmospheric density is the same as Kerbin's and coupled with high speeds and high pressure (if you make it in to any appreciable depth) ensures that you're going to have a very bad day.

That's something that (I think) is getting fixed in 1.0.5 along with the other thermodynamics. You can also fix it by installing Real Heat, which makes Jool more like Jupiter, Duna more like Mars and Eve more like Venus. (though not nearly as much pressure)

Yea I noticed, however if you look at your actual post, you have quoted me, not him in both instances (at least thats what I'm seeing). Anyway I'll fiddle further, as always your repeat responding is very much appreciated and respected :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using 64k, if I install this will I need to tweak settings? Right now I have the in-game heat adjustment at 60%.

@PHYSICSGLOBALS:FOR[64K]{

// AeroFX

@aeroFXScalar = 0.003

@aeroFXDensityExponent = 0.5

@aeroFXStartThermalFX = 2.5

@aeroFXFullThermalFX = 3.5

@aeroFXExponent = 3.5

// CONSTANTS

@spaceTemperature = 4

@solarLuminosityAtHome = 1360

@solarInsolationAtHome = 0.15

@standardSpecificHeatCapacity = 800

@internalHeatProductionFactor = 0.025

@aerodynamicHeatProductionFactor = 1.0

// CONVECTION

// Convection areas

@fullConvectionAreaMin = -0.1

@fullToCrossSectionLerpStart = 0.8

@fullToCrossSectionLerpEnd = 1.5

// Newtonian-To-Hypersonic transition

@machConvectionStart = 2

@machConvectionEnd = 4.0

@machConvectionExponent = 3

@convectionFactorSplashed = 5000

// Turbulent convection (total guesses)

@turbulentConvectionStart = 100

@turbulentConvectionEnd = 400

@turbulentConvectionMult = 25

// Newtonian Convection

@newtonianConvectionFactorBase = 4.0

@newtonianConvectionFactorTotal = 1.0

@newtonianDensityExponent = 0.5

@newtonianVelocityExponent = 1.0

// Hypersonic Convection

@convectionDensityExponent = 0.5

@convectionVelocityExponent = 3.0

@convectionFactor = 1.1

@machTemperatureScalar = 1

@machTemperatureVelocityExponent = 1

// CONDUCTION

@conductionFactor = 5

@skinSkinConductionFactor = 0.06

@skinInteralConductionFactor = 0.25

@shieldedConductionFactor = 0.01

// RADIATION

@partEmissivityExponent = 4

@radiationFactor = 1

}

Just an OFFTOPIC: So sorry about Melificient, im sure he had a long and enjoyable live. I loved your 'in memoriam' homenage as my feline friend Hugo passed away some months away too. God, i miss that ungrateful furry little beast... :rolleyes:

I'm using 64k, if I install this will I need to tweak settings? Right now I have the in-game heat adjustment at 60%.

I think heat shields are more of an issue to you than the PhysicsGlobals. One other user a few pages back reported dysfunctional shields. The Real Solar System config that I use in DRE would probably work for 64k but apparently are not being applied and I haven't had time to look into it nor to verify that those configs are indeed appropriate. (most likely it's got a different folder name or plugin name that needs a separate config to apply the necessary heat shield changes)

Just an OFFTOPIC: So sorry about Melificient, im sure he had a long and enjoyable live. I loved your 'in memoriam' homenage as my feline friend Hugo passed away some months away too. God, i miss that ungrateful furry little beast... :rolleyes:

Thank you very much.

I'm not really sure how old she was as I got her when she was an adult. She was probably 3-4 years old and had trust issues. Her previous humans were moving by car (cross country, coast to coast) and I think it was problematic for them to transport her. (when I moved it just about took an act of god to get her in a carrier).

It took me another two years to gain her trust and she was the most lovingest cat I've ever had.

I'm getting Exceptions when loading a plane with B9 Procedural Wings. Output.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Ygs3rUb405c3h1RW1EbVU1aGs/view?usp=sharing

Not sure if this is a known issue here.

Edit: It's spewing out ModuleHeatShield.FixedUpdate exceptions whenever a B9 Procedural Wing is placed in the LaunchPad/Runway.

Edited by ghimb2000

Any quick way to fix it? :)

Quick, no.

They need to have ModuleHeatShield either updated to be compatible with the new version of DRE or ModuleHeatShield should be removed entirely and the part configured (at the PART level) to be able to withstand reentry heating.

stock spaceplane parts do that with very high emissiveConstant and sometimes increased thermalMassModifier. Deadly Reentry modifies spaceplane parts a bit differently. (patterned after the space shuttle with very low thermal mass skins, low conductivity in skins, such that they withstand high altitude high drag shallow reentries but not steep ones)

Maybe when I get some time I can do a DRE patch for those parts....

I was just wondering, does this have any specific conflicts with the 1.0.5 update?

I have an existing mission which uses some of the deadly reentry parts in which no part was particularly warm, but when I switched to the mission in progress, the ship exploded from overheating.

I was just wondering, does this have any specific conflicts with the 1.0.5 update?

I have an existing mission which uses some of the deadly reentry parts in which no part was particularly warm, but when I switched to the mission in progress, the ship exploded from overheating.

AFAIK, 1.0.5 re-vamped heat... So yea, probably DRE needs to be adapted.

Not that I've noticed, but DRE has had only minimal testing with 1.0.5 as I've been spending more time on Real Fuels lately....

Do you still have a backup of that save intact and can you reproduce that reliably?

If so, press alt-F12 and there's an option there to disable overheating. Enable that and then go to Physics-Thermal and enable the option to show thermal data in the context menu. (the part right click menu)

Then switch to that vessel and right click whatever part was exploding before and see what the temperature is.

And then see if the temperatures fall to more normal levels.

Not that I've noticed, but DRE has had only minimal testing with 1.0.5 as I've been spending more time on Real Fuels lately....

Do you still have a backup of that save intact and can you reproduce that reliably?

Unfortunately, no. The Kerbal I'd rescued from the dark side of the Mun with 300 science perished and stayed that way. I think it must have autosaved immediately after switching to it.

A base I had there made of non-mod components also exploded, so I think it's something to do with the heat calculations themselves, not necessarily components.

Unfortunately, no. The Kerbal I'd rescued from the dark side of the Mun with 300 science perished and stayed that way. I think it must have autosaved immediately after switching to it.

A base I had there made of non-mod components also exploded, so I think it's something to do with the heat calculations themselves, not necessarily components.

I have the same issue with parts randomly overheating after switching to them. I ran a simple update in CKAN, and that fixed it. So it is definitely not DRE, unfortunately, I cannot pinpoint which mod it was in question, I just know that it's fixed now.

However, I did attempt to return from Minmus with the Mk1 Command Pod and the resource disappeared within a few seconds. I think some re-balancing may need to be done.

I have the same issue with parts randomly overheating after switching to them. I ran a simple update in CKAN, and that fixed it. So it is definitely not DRE, unfortunately, I cannot pinpoint which mod it was in question, I just know that it's fixed now.

However, I did attempt to return from Minmus with the Mk1 Command Pod and the resource disappeared within a few seconds. I think some re-balancing may need to be done.

What sort of reentry profile did you use? Have you previously had success in 1.0.4 with that craft returning at that speed and reentry profile?

Now that 1.0X stock handles thermal stuff so well, should DRE maybe fork into a damage-only mod? i.e., just handle fire damage and g-force damage, and trust stock to deal with the rest?

When I'm actually comfortable with stock handling thermal during reentry, yes. The more comfortable I am, the less changes I make to the thermal system

Since KSP adopted the skin/internal concept that I introduced with DRE 7.0.0, DRE's thermal involvement has been limited to changes to part thermal parameters only, such as giving internals much lower tolerances than outer. Or ensuring that space planes were more reliant on shallow reentry profiles and punished for steeper ones.

With KSP 1.0.5 I'm still appraising the thermal changes before deciding whether to discard any of those alterations or not. (space planes will most likely NOT see any changes next update)

What sort of reentry profile did you use? Have you previously had success in 1.0.4 with that craft returning at that speed and reentry profile?

I may not be remembering correctly as I play off and on due to school and other things that bid for my time, but I could swear that I was able to re-enter with only a mk1 command pod that had 100 Ablative Resource from Minmus. Now I can't even go from a 46,000km Ap - 60km Pe orbit without blowing up (I burn up around 62km).

Am I crazy and just remembering this incorrectly? Is there anything I can do to ensure survival with tier I technology and re-entering from Minmus?

Try Pe of 20km. You need to be steeper than you are now.

Also what versions DRE / KSP are you running? DRE isn't updated for KSP 1.0.5 (though the same reentry profile should work were you to try running with just the configs. It worked for me in earlier 1.0.5 builds.

Try Pe of 20km. You need to be steeper than you are now.

Also what versions DRE / KSP are you running? DRE isn't updated for KSP 1.0.5 (though the same reentry profile should work were you to try running with just the configs. It worked for me in earlier 1.0.5 builds.

DRE v7.2.2, KSP 1.0.5

I tried 20km as you suggested and blew up at 53km this time. It's possible that my thermal parameters are not set right.

I have:

* Radiation: 1.0

* Conduction: 3.3

* Convection: 7.0

* Generation Factor: 0.025

When I reloaded the game without DRE, conduction changed to 120.

EDIT: I changed the conduction parameter to 120 while using DRE and saw a similar result to the other tests.

Are you recommending I not use the mod at all in KSP 1.0.5? Is there anything that I can delete within the mod that will still enable G-Forces and other effects?

Edited by Scuwr

I think conductivity will have to go up. Maybe back up to the stock value. (The purpose of low conductivity is to keep heat in the skin instead of escaping into the interior like a heat sink. But other physics params have changed such as the skin-interior which is 0.009 instead of 1.0 as it was in 1.0.4

I'm not at home so I'm can't work on modding right now

I think conductivity will have to go up. Maybe back up to the stock value. (The purpose of low conductivity is to keep heat in the skin instead of escaping into the interior like a heat sink. But other physics params have changed such as the skin-interior which is 0.009 instead of 1.0 as it was in 1.0.4

I'm not at home so I'm can't work on modding right now

Understanding that you are not at home, thank you very much for your help and consideration.

I don't know if this will help, but I repeated the same test after re-installing DRE from github and forcing Steam to update the physics.cfg file (deleted it and checked game file integrity). Nothing else was changed, and I decided to show Thermal Data in the action menu. Below is a screen shot.

sMSdqzt.png