[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

May I suggest removing the "don't open chutes" message? It isn't very readable anyway (especially in the clouds: light green on white... yeah). Can you overlay staging icons? Changing them in flight is possible, but RealChute (and the game itself) already does that, so there might be a conflict. Overlaying it with read cross/triangle/crossed circle or exclamation sign, if possible, would look much better.

Of course you can always suggest it!

But the answer is no, I'm not removing it. It's there because people's chutes were failing and they had no idea why.

As to not being readable, the chute messages aren't the first time DRE has displayed messages in that area and in that format and color. It's always displayed unsafe g-force warnings for crew, and there's been enough feedback about that to suggest that readability isn't an issue. Still, if it will make it MORE readable, I could look into changing the color. If that is possible.

I do not know enough about the feasibility of altering the staging icons, especially from a 3rd party mod perspective. And as far as attracting the player's attention, it sounds insufficient to alert the player about unsafe chute opening conditions. Neither the stock game nor any mods (AFAIK) make use of such icon overlays and players would be unfamiliar as to their meaning. At least a message displayed at the upper half of the screen in plain English has the benefit of already being established by both stock KSP and DRE itself for displaying feedback messages to the player.

I do thank you for your suggestion and your feedback however. If the message can be made plainer or more noticeable then I'll see about doing that.

They're not supposed to fill the screen, try the latest beta. That should fix it.

@Taniwha: Thanks for the feedback. I was using Apollo as a guideline for deployment. You can tweak deployment settings in the VAB. (or maybe even in flight.... however (un)realistic that is)

I figured that might be the source. I guess I'll just have to MM them back :P.

I suppose it is. I guess I like a lot of info. :)

Still getting a feel for exactly what I need for the different times.

I think we might need to call you Shipon ;)

I found a problem with difficulty settings not being properly saved or loaded, but it's not anything that would stop your heat shield from working. Ablation is working just fine on my end.

I'll have to take a look at your log and see if that turns anything up.

It might help to see a look at your DRE debug screen so I can see the settings.

Also, what shield is that and where did you download it?

Hmm, maybe I'm just that good at reentry. :cool:

The shield is just a retexture of the basic command pod in proots Renaissance Compilation visual pack as far as I know. His pack has a squad folder inside the texture replacer folder.

Edited by theersink

Recompiling and testing the DRE plugin now.

(recompiled against the KSP 0.90 binaries without complaint so it should be just fine)

(You can probably even still use the existing version, but no promises or guarantees. Might let you land your Kerbals just fine then issue forth a low guttural laugh as it flash fries them to death inches from Kerba Firma)

Still working on integrating the Mk3 parts and tweaking the warning message placement as it's not quite centered.

However, here is the recompiled DLL.

First install the mod as normal, then copy the DLL to the DeadlyReentry/Plugins folder, overwriting the existing dll.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/moge45bumutdcwj/DeadlyReentry.dll?dl=1

EDIT: Install the latest beta.

Edited by Starwaster

so it seems like the plugin loads and I get the DRE menu.. but nothing is actually happening to my craft on re-entry? Maybe just because I haven't installed the new FAR yet?

I was getting a message about the latest beta being potentially incompatible with 0.90. You didn't see that message?

so it seems like the plugin loads and I get the DRE menu.. but nothing is actually happening to my craft on re-entry? Maybe just because I haven't installed the new FAR yet?

Working for me with no FAR, make sure you get the recompiled dll in post #3010.

Working for me with no FAR, make sure you get the recompiled dll in post #3010.

Correct, FAR is not a dependency. If present then DRE will query FAR to determine if parts are shielded, which in some cases is more accurate than DRE's own scheme. (in a few other cases, FAR can be less accurate so if possible, keep payload parts from getting too close to the fairing wall)

@Starwaster

I was just curious to know if the alternate density calculations option is currently working as intended? I notice I get much less heating on accent in lower atmosphere with this option as I believe was your intent correct?

Correct. Less density means less heat transference. The reason it came about though was because when changing density exponent (to shift start of heating to higher in the atmosphere) it resulted in extremely destructive heating lower in the atmosphere. Especially to supersonic planes and space planes. What I did not intend was for Hard mode to become a 'realism' mode, but it seems like that's sort of what happened. Well, at least when used with Real Solar System. I'm probably going to have to rework 'Hard' mode to work properly with stock Kerbin. The jury is still out on that one. You should be careful with its use because it can really nerf things, especially if you're playing stock. I wouldn't enable it for Normal mode for instance, but, you know: Your sandbox, play how you like :D

Deadly Reentry version 6.4.0 release (KSP 0.90)

*Added toolbar button (for stock toolbar)

*Added Easy, Normal and Hard difficulty settings accessible from new menu

*Difficulty settings are per-save game!!! Use Easy for sandbox and Hard for Career! (if you want)

*Alternate lower density calculation (for use with Hard mode to prevent excessive heating for high speed aircraft)

*Fix for stuttering AeroFX cases. (thanks to Motokid600, Chezburgar7300, Zeenobit and Noio for feedback and/or testing)

*Reworked warning messages for visibility and/or optimization

*Optimized density calculations (moved all into ReentryPhysics; no more per-part calculations)

*Lowered part max-temperature cap to 1250 (other parts may be even lower)

*Heat shields now insulate attached parts against conducted heat

*Low grade heat shielding added to nose cones and fairings. (also to parachute 'cone' parts. Deploying chutes 'jettisons' the shield)

*Kerbals now react to reentry events such as overheating. (may need tweaking; even Jebediah gets scared now. Can't have that)

*Merged in fixes from NathanKell for FAR detection

*Merged in changes from NathanKell to support R&D / Technology requirements

*Added support for (currently unused)stock KSP airstream shielding

*Trapping and checking for of null reference errors in events.

*Added DeadlyReentry.version for AVC and CKAN support

Download link:

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v6.4.0

EDIT:

For those not yet willing to make the move to KSP 0.90 I am providing a DLL ONLY drop in replacement for KSP 0.25.

Install 6.4.0 from the link above then download the following file and copy the DeadlyReentry.dll over the existing DeadlyReentry.dll in DeadlyReentry/Plugins/

Again, this is if you are still running KSP 0.25 and it is unsupported!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a76i28kgmv9cvt/DeadlyReentry_6.4.0_FOR_KSP_0.25_DLL_ONLY.zip?dl=1

Edited by Starwaster

Yes, was still editing the first post and clicked Save too early. (save early save often)

Now then.

For you 64 bit people:

The following is TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED.

Here is the latest DRE version 6.4.0 with the 64 bit disabling removed. Versions are provided for both KSP 0.90 and KSP 0.25 (if you aren't yet willing to upgrade)

If you try to report issues for the 64 bit client you will be directed (via a message utilizing Comic Sans) to reproduce the issue with the 32 bit client.

Only issues reproducible in the 32 bit client will receive support.

UNSUPPORTED_x64_DeadlyReentry.zip

Have fun :)

Correct. Less density means less heat transference. The reason it came about though was because when changing density exponent (to shift start of heating to higher in the atmosphere) it resulted in extremely destructive heating lower in the atmosphere. Especially to supersonic planes and space planes. What I did not intend was for Hard mode to become a 'realism' mode, but it seems like that's sort of what happened. Well, at least when used with Real Solar System. I'm probably going to have to rework 'Hard' mode to work properly with stock Kerbin. The jury is still out on that one. You should be careful with its use because it can really nerf things, especially if you're playing stock. I wouldn't enable it for Normal mode for instance, but, you know: Your sandbox, play how you like :D

Awesome thanks.