[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

1 hour ago, m4ti140 said:

@Starwaster Is it possible to activate the RSS config when RSS is not installed (without manually editing everything)? I'm playing with Sigma Dimensions and a more reasonably sized Kerbin, and would like to be able to use realistic heating settings.

You could create an empty folder named RealSolarSystem in your GameData folder

That should satisfy the :NEEDS requirement and trick Module Manager into thinking that RSS is installed.

Deadly Reentry 7.4.5

The Exploding Flag Update, brought to you by Melificent

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.4.5

Finding the cause of the exploding flags has vexed me for some time. Ironically, debug logging put in to find another problem (overheating KSPI radiators) alerted me to the fact that DRE has been adding ModuleAeroReentry to flags, in spite of the fact that it has been reporting in the logs that flags did NOT have ModuleAeroReentry added! Flags apparently do not have maxTemp set. It is zero. 85% of zero is zero.  That means that flag will catch fire at 0 Kelvin or higher. That's right. Anything above absolute zero can cause flags to explode! (used to cause flags to explode)

Changelog:
v7.4.5

• Fix flag exploding when switching to flag. (prevent flag from having ModuleAeroReentry added to it)
  • Add additional debug logging to FixMaxTemps(). Status of parts that are skipped due to leaveTemp = true are logged. Parts that are adjusted are logged. 
  • Adjusting RSS fallback config. (used when Real Solar System is installed but Realism Overhaul is not and RSSROConfig is not set)
  • Possible fix for explosion/burning sounds being too loud for distant objects.
  • Added additional case handling for #leaveTemp.
  • Removed toolbar from Main Menu.

59 minutes ago, charliepryor said:

Seeing "14 errors" in the bootup screen for deadly reentry now. Not sure exactly what causes it to say that. It happens when MM patches are applied (I have over 100 mods though). Reverting back to 7.4.4 until errors go away.

If they are :NEEDS that are not being met then you should ignore them because they aren't really errors. Just configs with conditional :NEEDS that are unmet so aren't applied.

1 hour ago, Gryphon said:

I assumed it was there because DR is just so badass.

That is correct, however, it was scaring some RO players who weren't prepared for the awesomeness of main menu buttons floating there without an actual toolbar.

Hi Starwaster

It appears to me that Deadly Reentry and KIS have some incompatibility. KIS does not work when I have DRE installed. The symptom is that I can not add any items to inventories in the VAB. The issue is documented on the KIS github repository here: https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/151

I was just wondering if you are aware of this problem. Maybe you have some insight.

Thanks

seeing this in the log for 19 different things (landing gear, some other mods)

[LOG 22:45:15.479] [ModuleManager] Applying node DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAeroReentry],#leaveTemp[*]]:FINAL to VenStockRevamp/Part Bin/NewParts/LVTEngines/LvT15/LVT15
[LOG 22:45:15.480] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key leaveTemp in PART
[LOG 22:45:15.481] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key leaveTemp = #$../leaveTemp$

I don't think that's a needs issue

2 hours ago, Revenant503 said:

seeing this in the log for 19 different things (landing gear, some other mods)

[LOG 22:45:15.479] [ModuleManager] Applying node DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAeroReentry],#leaveTemp[*]]:FINAL to VenStockRevamp/Part Bin/NewParts/LVTEngines/LvT15/LVT15
[LOG 22:45:15.480] [ModuleManager] Cannot find key leaveTemp in PART
[LOG 22:45:15.481] [ModuleManager] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key leaveTemp = #$../leaveTemp$

I don't think that's a needs issue

I am getting the same error (although it occurs only 9 times for me).

@Dodovogel

I fixed an issue with KIS/KAS awhile back and am not aware of any new issues. Are you using the latest Deadly Reentry?

@Hrubec

I don't see how they could be related. Other than having their max temps adjusted, chute parts aren't having anything done to them. What chute parts are they? Stock? Stock with Real Chute? Real Chute parts? Ven Restock? 

How many different chute parts have you tried?

@Revenant503 @Pamelloes

Looks like a bug in Module Manager. Variable deletion occurs before anything else in that  node, in that pass. It can't find leaveTemp because it got deleted even though the deletion is supposed to happen after I access it. I'll post a workaround for it...

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

I fixed an issue with KIS/KAS awhile back and am not aware of any new issues. Are you using the latest Deadly Reentry?

Yep, I am using the latest DRE, MM and KIS releases on an otherwise unmodified KSP 64 bit install on Windows 10. 

On 5/31/2016 at 6:56 PM, Starwaster said:

I don't see how they could be related. Other than having their max temps adjusted, chute parts aren't having anything done to them. What chute parts are they? Stock? Stock with Real Chute? Real Chute parts? Ven Restock? 

How many different chute parts have you tried?

Im using Stock/VenRestock chutes.

It is happening with Mk16 and Mk-2r parachutes. the drogues are fine. See the screenshot.

http://imgur.com/wGbSA1H

Also ModuleManager displays "12 errors found in GameData/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry.cfg" on the loading screen.

Edited by Hrubec

2 hours ago, Hrubec said:

Im using Stock/VenRestock chutes.

It is happening with Mk16 and Mk-2r parachutes. the drogues are fine. See the screenshot.

http://imgur.com/wGbSA1H

Also ModuleManager displays "12 errors found in GameData/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry.cfg" on the loading screen.

Read the following post. It might resolve the startup errors but I have no way of saying that with certainty since I don't know what the actual errors were. (that's what logs are for)

Hey there,

After updating a few mods I have run into a problem with loading an existing craft. I create an unmanned rover, leave it out in the world somewhere and load back to it. Only 1 part loads and I get spammed with errors:

[EXC 15:13:19.355] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.CheckForFire ()
    DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate ()

Here are the logs: https://mega.nz/#!rREAzSAI!NCfqk9J_ExB3-Z2Lu_Bqw1Yv28Px06K-6gzkTT56ZKc

I tried googling around to find a solution to this but have found nothing, any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: I removed Deadly Re-entry now I get the following:https://mega.nz/#!2VEhFYgB!coTsWzgRhEAg7IQ6boUu0ED8pnLv1K3RcKCLmOC_0wE

Edited by twisted067
testing

On 5/31/2016 at 7:18 AM, Dodovogel said:

Hi Starwaster

It appears to me that Deadly Reentry and KIS have some incompatibility. KIS does not work when I have DRE installed. The symptom is that I can not add any items to inventories in the VAB. The issue is documented on the KIS github repository here: https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/151

I was just wondering if you are aware of this problem. Maybe you have some insight.

Thanks

Thanks so much for reporting this--I was wondering why I couldn't put anything in a seat inventory (even though I could drag objects around from ships already saved with inventory items).

I'll disable DR until this gets fixed--it's a shame, I don't recall DR previously conflicting with KIS back in 1.0.5 or earlier. 

5 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

Thanks so much for reporting this--I was wondering why I couldn't put anything in a seat inventory (even though I could drag objects around from ships already saved with inventory items).

I'll disable DR until this gets fixed--it's a shame, I don't recall DR previously conflicting with KIS back in 1.0.5 or earlier. 

Wrong. This has been confirmed to have nothing to do with Deadly Reentry. Go look at the github issue that is linked in the very message that you just quoted.

Edited by Starwaster

9 hours ago, twisted067 said:

Hey there,

After updating a few mods I have run into a problem with loading an existing craft. I create an unmanned rover, leave it out in the world somewhere and load back to it. Only 1 part loads and I get spammed with errors:

[EXC 15:13:19.355] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.CheckForFire ()
    DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate ()

Here are the logs: https://mega.nz/#!rREAzSAI!NCfqk9J_ExB3-Z2Lu_Bqw1Yv28Px06K-6gzkTT56ZKc

I tried googling around to find a solution to this but have found nothing, any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: I removed Deadly Re-entry now I get the following:https://mega.nz/#!2VEhFYgB!coTsWzgRhEAg7IQ6boUu0ED8pnLv1K3RcKCLmOC_0wE

You've got exceptions being thrown all over the place, it's a real mess in there and between two sets of logs you've got a lot of the same errors happening minus Deadly Reentry in the second set. (of course)

I'd say it's a cascade failure with one exception in the wrong place preventing a vessel from properly being initialized with the result that everything after is getting nullrefs trying to access vessel fields. Including KSP itself.

I'm not sure where the problem is starting in there. Just a guess; it could be Kerbalism but it's also possible that it's just another victim like everything else affected.

53 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

You've got exceptions being thrown all over the place, it's a real mess in there and between two sets of logs you've got a lot of the same errors happening minus Deadly Reentry in the second set. (of course)

I'd say it's a cascade failure with one exception in the wrong place preventing a vessel from properly being initialized with the result that everything after is getting nullrefs trying to access vessel fields. Including KSP itself.

I'm not sure where the problem is starting in there. Just a guess; it could be Kerbalism but it's also possible that it's just another victim like everything else affected.

Yeah I'm not sure whats going on, or where to start debugging this one. Here's more detail: I have been playing for 6-7 weeks now with these mods just fine, never a problem. Finally decided to design a rover and get it to the mun. Rover is designed and put in a container on a blank ship now just to test. Ship is as follows: Pod -> container. Inside the container is the rover. If I leave the vessel on the launch pad and go to space center and back to vessel, the rover is fine. If i detach the rover and reload the same way, only 1 part of the rover loads and everything lags to hell, logs are spammed.

Launching just the rover via runway and returning to it results with the same errors.

Trying to debug this now, we'll see how it goes. Kerbalism wasn't the culprit sadly, though without it I was spammed with many Deadly Reentry errors.

Edit: Decided to remove parts slowly to figure out what the problem was, first part i removed resolved the issue. The fission reactor by the Near Future mods, guess I'll be visiting there now :P

Edited by twisted067

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Wrong. This has been confirmed to have nothing to do with Deadly Reentry. Go look at the github issue that is linked in the very message that you just quoted.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this.

Yeah, I suspected the problem is more likely to be found on the side of KIS but the problem does only appear in combination with mods, DR being one of them. I thought you might have an idea what is up because nothing seemed to be happening on the issue. Now, your comment got things going again on the KIS side. Thanks!  

7 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Sorry, I was just speaking from my own experience--removing DR immediately caused KIS to work again. DR's own functions were working fine, by contrast. 

Someone apparently still had the bug with KIS inventory functions after removing DR, but I didn't personally--I didn't mean to imply I was upset with DR itself or anything (it's a mod, sometimes they don't work, I don't complain about things that are given as free gifts and under no obligation to guarantee support), I simply wanted to thank Dodovogel for sharing his findings after I was frustrated trying to fix them myself. 

EDIT: Reverting back to an older version of KIS (1.2.9) also fixed the problem on my end--so it's definitely possible to still have DR (even the most recent version) working with KIS. 

Edited by Synthesis

is there something I'm suppose to do to deadly re entry when using it for RSS and RO mod?  Cause I read in a couple post like on page 1, but unsure what it means.  I got it with ckan but then used Nathan kells updated config on the page 200 to fix the errors with module manager (at least I think that's what it was for).  Did that possibly break RSS, am I suppose to change something for it specifically?

thank you for anyone's time in replying.