[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

On 10/29/2016 at 9:37 AM, rinzler4171 said:

Hello Starwasher,

I can't seem to find where Deadly Reentry for 1.2 is, may I know where I can find it, or when it will be released?

Thanks!

(Thanks for the reply, should have paid more attention to the content above)

It MAY have also been a good idea to get his name right.  Just sayin....   :D

1 hour ago, steddyj said:

It MAY have also been a good idea to get his name right.  Just sayin....   :D

It his defense and in regards to his misspelling of "Starwaster", I made the same mistake a long while back, and I know from experience that he wouldn't refuse assistance for something like that.

KSP 1.2 Update Roadmap

These are my plans for Deadly Reentry's immediate future.

Upgradeability

• With the exception of the Mk3 shuttle and Mk2 parts, plane parts will no longer be automatically be capable of reentry.
  • Plane parts will be capable of low supersonic flight but will have to be upgraded to include a thermal protection system (TPS) if reentry is desired. This will be comparable in performance to the shuttle's silicon/ceramic tiles.
  • It may also include alternate methods like titanium hulls, tungsten or beryllium alloys, etc. (assuming it can be determined that they will contribute meaningfully to gameplay or to space plane operational performance)
  • Heat shields that are NOT rated for Mun / Minmus returns will have upgrade options to provide this capability.

Burning Parts Overhaul

• The fire code will receive a minor overhaul so that both skin and internal max temps can be treated separately.
  • The damage threshold will be replaced by a dynamic system via new ModuleAeroReentry fields: maxOperationalTemp and maxSkinOperationalTemp. Heat damage will start with these two temperatures and have a delta of ModuleAeroReentry.maxOperationalTemp / part.maxTemp. 
  • Internal parts will be much less heat tolerant with the exception of engines. Plane parts will be assumed to be mostly aluminum and have a maximum internal temperature of 950 (it's molten aluminum at that point). BUT it begins to structurally weaken at 450 Kelvin so that's the point at which damage begins.
  • Heat damage (we won't call it burning damage anymore) will be less immediately fatal. Its effects on maxTemp will be removed entirely. Its effects on breakingForce / breakingTorque / crashTolerance will be scaled down.
  • Damaged parts that are recovered on Kerbin will be worth less because they cost more to be repaired and refurbished. (existing repair mechanism will be 'field repairs'; the parts are still damaged and worth less)

These are the portions that are holding me back as I need to plan these things out and write up the configs and coding. I'll probably do an interim release that is compiled for KSP 1.2 before then. 

I am also still in the process of assessing compatibility of certain DRE's features with certain new KSP features such as part G force destruction, max Q destruction, etc. Kerbal blackout and DRE's Kerbal g-Force death features seem to be compatible so far in that they don't combine for an overpowering experience. 

Edited by Starwaster

7 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

..... max Q destruction....

Doesn't FAR have aerodynamic failures, when going too fast, while doing steep turns?

I think dynamic and static pressure structural failures would be covered by @ferram4 anyway - FAR and Deadly Reentry make atmosphere great again, but they are covering different bases.

Deadly Reentry is when space plane with AJE engines have FAR too high speed for them to function :P

With RSS I should test high speed airplanes and see what happens if you descend below 20 km while keeping speeds above 5 mach (theoretical limit for air breathing engines)

2 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Doesn't FAR have aerodynamic failures, when going too fast, while doing steep turns?

I think dynamic and static pressure structural failures would be covered by @ferram4 anyway - FAR and Deadly Reentry make atmosphere great again, but they are covering different bases.

Deadly Reentry is when space plane with AJE engines have FAR too high speed for them to function :P

With RSS I should test high speed airplanes and see what happens if you descend below 20 km while keeping speeds above 5 mach (theoretical limit for air breathing engines)

Clarification: I was referring to compatibility of Deadly Reentry features with features new to KSP 1.2. Deadly Reentry has never had aerodynamic failure. KSP 1.2 however, does. Presumably Ferram disables that.

So basically what I was referring to is: I have a set of features that have always been in Deadly Reentry and now we have some similar new features native to KSP and I have to make decisions as to whether to remove some features from Deadly Reentry, disable their KSP counterparts or make modifications that allows them to work together without being overpowering together.

(Kerbal fatalities from g-force damage will remain because it does not have a KSP native analogue)

8 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Clarification: I was referring to compatibility of Deadly Reentry features with features new to KSP 1.2. Deadly Reentry has never had aerodynamic failure. KSP 1.2 however, does. Presumably Ferram disables that.

So basically what I was referring to is: I have a set of features that have always been in Deadly Reentry and now we have some similar new features native to KSP and I have to make decisions as to whether to remove some features from Deadly Reentry, disable their KSP counterparts or make modifications that allows them to work together without being overpowering together.

(Kerbal fatalities from g-force damage will remain because it does not have a KSP native analogue)

Well that's why I asked Ferram in thread, if he's going to do something with 1.2 stock dynamic/static pressure failures.

Edited by raxo2222

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2016 at 1:36 PM, Starwaster said:

This probably is of no help, but I do want to thank you for actively outlining what you need to bring DR up to 1.2/1.2.1. I've held off on actually playing 1.2 because I'm still actively updating all my mods, and losing my existing saves (after 1.0.5 broke them) would probably push me into doing something reckless, so I'm content to wait and will be watching this thread closely. 

Hi Starwaster!

I hope you had a great weekend! I have a question for you regarding something you said above... you mentioned that KSP 1.2 has native features now duplicating some of the features in Deadly Reentry. Now, I know DR has much more to it that is not provided by stock, but in the interim until you have the time to decide which features to override, implement, ignore, or whatnot, is there a stock configuration you would recommend that would give me some of the tasty goodness (or blowy-up-ness) of DR? At least for an early (Kerbin orbit, maybe Mun or Minimus returns) career?

Thanks!

On 11/30/2016 at 0:53 AM, eightiesboi said:

Hi Starwaster!

I hope you had a great weekend! I have a question for you regarding something you said above... you mentioned that KSP 1.2 has native features now duplicating some of the features in Deadly Reentry. Now, I know DR has much more to it that is not provided by stock, but in the interim until you have the time to decide which features to override, implement, ignore, or whatnot, is there a stock configuration you would recommend that would give me some of the tasty goodness (or blowy-up-ness) of DR? At least for an early (Kerbin orbit, maybe Mun or Minimus returns) career?

Thanks!

Decrease global thermal conductivity. Lowered thermal conductivity means it can't escape from the skin to the interior  as quickly so surface temperature is increased. Be careful with that one.

12 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

This might be a stupid question, but by plane parts does that include wings, Mk-1 fuselages, etc.?

Yes, but when I earlier addressed plane parts I was under the impression that upgrading was on a per craft basis and it is not. So my plans for plane parts will need to be adjusted.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, dlrk said:

What are the differences currently between stock and DR? If I start a 1.2 game, will my spacecraft survive DR reentry when it's released?

Depends on the craft. Lots of parts in stock have extremely generous maxTemp and one of the things DR does is scale them back. 

Make sure everything is shielded properly and you'll be ok. Probably. YMMV

On 12/21/2016 at 11:06 AM, dlrk said:

What are the differences currently between stock and DR? If I start a 1.2 game, will my spacecraft survive DR reentry when it's released?

I find stock very forgiving. I've bumped reentry heating up to 120% (the default highest setting on stock) and I don't need to use heat shields. Just pointing an engine retrograde is usually enough.

Perhaps if you could bump reentry heating to say 200% stock might become interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Starwaster, in the interest of getting more traction on the Realism Overhaul front, I've attempted a recompile against the 1.2 binaries.  I had to make a few changes when it comes to struts, but was able to get something that compiles (though it needs some more testing).  I'd be happy to submit a PR to you if you'd like.

On 1/5/2017 at 9:26 PM, rsparkyc said:

Hey @Starwaster, in the interest of getting more traction on the Realism Overhaul front, I've attempted a recompile against the 1.2 binaries.  I had to make a few changes when it comes to struts, but was able to get something that compiles (though it needs some more testing).  I'd be happy to submit a PR to you if you'd like.

It would probably conflict with what I've already done.

I'll put something out later today; it'll just have to be without the spaceplane specific changes that I wanted.

• Commented out StrutConnector fixes. (StrutConnector changes? Have to monitor strut situation and see if original problem still exists)
  • Fixes to RSSROConfig handling
  • Added ModuleTransform2Value (works like ModuleAnimation2Value except that the value depends on the state (active/inactive) of a designated mesh object) (all chutes use this now both stock and RC)
  • Added framework configurng max/operation temp values inModuleAeroReentry

This is  marked as pre-release meaning it won't show up on CKAN yet. until I turn that off

Download link to DRE 7.5.0 pre-release

Edited by Starwaster

I just tried the pre-release (thanks!), and I found a bug that appears to be an interaction with Procedural Parts. In the VAB, the parts window does not change when the tabs is changed. This exceptions is found in the log:

[EXC 16:25:11.015] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID)
	PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className)
	ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart.GetModuleCost (Single stdCost, ModifierStagingSituation sit)
	Part.GetModuleCosts (Single defaultCost, ModifierStagingSituation sit)
	KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartList.<currentPartSorting>m__A9 (.AvailablePart r1, .AvailablePart r2)
	RUIutils+FuncComparer`1[AvailablePart].Compare (.AvailablePart x, .AvailablePart y)
	System.Array.compare[AvailablePart] (.AvailablePart value1, .AvailablePart value2, IComparer`1 comparer)
	System.Array.qsort[AvailablePart,AvailablePart] (.AvailablePart[] keys, .AvailablePart[] items, Int32 low0, Int32 high0, IComparer`1 comparer)
	System.Array.Sort[AvailablePart,AvailablePart] (.AvailablePart[] keys, .AvailablePart[] items, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
	Rethrow as InvalidOperationException: The comparer threw an exception.
	System.Array.Sort[AvailablePart,AvailablePart] (.AvailablePart[] keys, .AvailablePart[] items, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
	System.Array.Sort[AvailablePart] (.AvailablePart[] array, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
	System.Collections.Generic.List`1[AvailablePart].Sort (IComparer`1 comparer)
	KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartList.RefreshPartList ()
	KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartList.Refresh ()
	KSP.UI.Screens.EditorPartList.Refresh (State state)
	KSP.UI.Screens.PartCategorizer+<UpdateDaemon>c__Iterator129.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

It does not occur absent DR.

7 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

In the console in the cheat menu I see the following: "Error: Destroying object multiple times. Don't use DestroyImmediate on the same object in OnDisable or OnDestroy."

Yeah, I know about that one. Not sure why it's happening. I think that stock KSP might be trying to destroy the part not knowing that I already did so.

OR part.explode is being called multiple times...

Might have to find another way to destroy it. (though if it's the second one then I could designate it internally as having been destroyed or about to be destroyed and then check for that when I go to explode the part)