[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

On 07.07.2017 at 1:46 PM, Starwaster said:

don't use that mod and don't know what it patches so I can't say if it's sufficient or not. Of greater importance is how it adjusts stock convection heating  because that's not something DRE touches anymore.

O'k I've tested Deadly Reentry with KScale64 and I have a problem...

I cannot burn up MK1-2 pod without heatshield. With 120% stock heat, maximum skin  temperature I get - 2000K at about 50km

My guess - because of huge Kerbin radius and 93km atmosphere, capsule slow down too intensive to burn.

@Starwaster, I'll appreciate your advice to pump up the heat above 120%.

By the way, I checked bundled KScale64 patch - all it does make heat shields run out extremely fast, so I disabled it.

Also, tried with Real Heat - capsule still don't want to burn. 

Spoiler

// Wildcard patches -- NathanKell
// These will:
// 1. Increase the temperatures in the Loss curve to 2500/7500 instead of 1000/3000.
// 2. Increase the loss rates by 1.5x at now-2500 shockwave temp, and 3x at 7500
//    (so shielding loss rate will be a fair bit higher).
// 3. Max dissipation once shield is at/above 400C, no sense having the temperature loss
//    be lesser for the same kg of ablative ablated just because the shield is cool.
// 4. Double reflectivity of non-ablative shielding (i.e. nosecones / spaceplane parts).

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]]:FINAL
{
	@maxTemp = 1800
	@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]
	{
		@loss
		{
			@key,1 ^= :^1000 ::
			@key,1 ^= : 0 0::
			@key,1 *= 1.5
			@key,1 ^= :$: 0 0:
			@key,1 ^= :^:2500 :

@key,2 ^= :^3000 ::
			@key,2 ^= : 0 0::
			@key,2 *= 3
			@key,2 ^= :$: 0 0:
			@key,2 ^= :^:7500 :
		}
		@dissipation
		{
			@key,1 ^= :^500::
			@key,1 ^= : 0 0::
			@key,1 *= 1.5
			@key,1 ^= :$: 0 0:
			@key,1 ^= :^:400 :
		}
	}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]:HAS[~ablative[]]
	{
		@reflective *= 2.0
	}
}

Edited by evileye.x

14 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@AlekM

question: is it a career game? If so then those parts might just be incapable of surviving Reentry. If it's NOT career or the parts list a skin max temp of something in the 2000s in the editor or list a max operational skin temp that high then you might be too steep. You want a perigee of 60-100 about halfway around the planet from your landing point. 

It is an RP-0 career game. The parts are clearly described as "rated for LEO reentry" and I've seen them work in peoples videos (like Cosmonaut Crash on YT). I know I could change the Thermal settings, but I'd like to keep it realistic. I tried shallow reentries as well as steep, to no avail.

46 minutes ago, AlekM said:

It is an RP-0 career game. The parts are clearly described as "rated for LEO reentry" and I've seen them work in peoples videos (like Cosmonaut Crash on YT). I know I could change the Thermal settings, but I'd like to keep it realistic. I tried shallow reentries as well as steep, to no avail.

did you tried to change the center of mass during reentry? Worked for me even with rather stupid reentry angels...

@evileye.x Those KScale64 patches are horribly outdated. Those are for pre KSP 1.0 heat shields don't do anything useful anymore. About the Mark1-2 pod not burning up without a heatshield.... if Kopernicus is installed then the Mark1-2 pod has minimal heat shielding added to it at 25% of what the bottom heat shield for that pod would have... however, the attributes for that shield assume a full sized RSS Earth environment with an orbital velocity over 7km/s and that might be overkill for Kerbin at that scale...

The alternative would have been to only check for RSS itself (and probably 10xKerbol which has an equivalent LEO velocity) and then hope for the best for the other up-scaled Kopernicus mods. 

I'll have to think on this, maybe as I said, ONLY scale up for RSS and it'll just have to be the responsibility of other modders for other sized systems to get physics and heat shields right for themselves.

Watch this space for more later; ZOo is on so ima in front of the TV now

@Starwaster , I totally agree about KScale64 DR patch. Disabled it in my game.

did bit more investigation on that...

And realized that 

tweaks Physics.cfg automagically and it makes thing more complicated to tweak... Or easier, not quite sure. If @Sigma88 could provide more info on logic behind those tweaks, (may be a link to post somewhere?...)

Also, another factor is MK1 and MK1-2 pods and stock heatshields received module lifting surface in vanilla game (I beleive in 1.3). May be deceleration is higher because of that?...

And I have FAR installed...

What I'm trying to do - 

increase machconvectionfactor, reduce skintointernal and reduce ablator loss factor accordingly. But still I think 2400 skin maxtemp is way to much for a capsule that has only bulkhead in bottom. Maybe reduce to 2000?...

Also I examined the structure of your patches and wanted to ask you - have you thought about wild card patching, split parts in categories and patch accordingly?

I mean for now it is stock only and it's needed to have DR patch for  each part in each mod.

May be DR could determine what the part is (for example, heat tolerant fuel tank or space only fuel tank, space plane rated parts or subsonic plane parts, lander cans, capsules LKO, KSO, Mun rated and so on... ) by tags in parts?

DR will determine standard list of tags. Would make easier to make DR patches for part mods. What do you think?

Edited by evileye.x

@evileye.x Before I go any further with this I need to see your ModuleManager.ConfigCache (put it up for download somewhere such as Dropbox) - and low orbital velocity for you is what, about 6km/s?

Re: Wildcard patching: No desire to do wild card patching. But thanks for the suggestion.

@AlekM Do you have 'Large Spaceplanes'  researched?  (in stock this was Hypersonic Flight) 

On 14.07.2017 at 4:11 PM, Starwaster said:

Before I go any further with this I need to see your ModuleManager.ConfigCache (put it up for download somewhere such as Dropbox) - and low orbital velocity for you is what, about 6km/s?

Yes, orbital velocity is about 6km/h. Actually I think I managed to  balance things in the way I like. Took a lot of trial and error though

This involves changing KScale64 atmospheric settings (make it stock-a-like up to 70km and the gradually thin out till 100km), and increasing  machconvectionfactor, reduce skintointernal and reduce ablator loss factor accordingly, so for mk1-2 pod LKO reentry I go with 400/800 ablator on heatshield and need full 800 for mun reentry, depending on periapsis ofcause. That all with Realheat installed.

Peak conduction flux at approx 52km, then deceleration kicks in really hard.

Mk1-2 without heatshield heats up to 2380K with 0km periapsis from LKO, so it actually has good chance to burn up with those settings. Anything with maxskintemp 2000K burns up (2000K - "not rated for reentry") 

I guess I'll play career and see how it works with spaceplanes / interplanetary reentry / aerocapturing ....

Edited by evileye.x

• 3 weeks later...

@Starwaster wonder if you give me some advice on some new config files. I was going to add a Procedural Parts config. There is a config to lower skin temperature on the old Stretchy Tanks mods.

@PART[stretchyTank05m]
{
	@maxTemp = 850
}

Would you say that the Procedural Parts config should also have the same set up?

10 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

@Starwaster wonder if you give me some advice on some new config files. I was going to add a Procedural Parts config. There is a config to lower skin temperature on the old Stretchy Tanks mods.

@PART[stretchyTank05m]
{
	@maxTemp = 850
}

Would you say that the Procedural Parts config should also have the same set up?

Probably, that's actually about right for aluminum, so assuming an aluminum tank, yeah. Assuming it can withstand a launch

24 minutes ago, N70 said:

What'd be a heatshield/DE config for 10.625x? So I don't require 2-3 heatshields to renter safely without changing reentry heat to 50%

I *would* say the ones for 10xKerbol except that I'm thinking of nerfing that configuration because it's a little overpowered.

On 8/4/2017 at 5:14 PM, N70 said:

@Starwasterany local config tweaks I can make to the 10x config to balance it

It's the heat shield configs that are most problematic. The physics globals should already be balanced properly

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Seeing  that I would like to use this in my new 1.3 game I am setting up, is there anything I can do to help you get it fully 1.3 ready?

Feel free to PM me with any information which would help me help you.

You can do that already by installing the latest version for KSP 1.2.2 and then get the unofficial dll for KSP 1.3.0 on the release page

5 hours ago, Starwaster said:

You can do that already by installing the latest version for KSP 1.2.2 and then get the unofficial dll for KSP 1.3.0 on the release page

I know that :-)

I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help.  I know it's not finished, just was offering to help with any coding or debugging if you needed any

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, CGiuffre164 said:

This mod is causing my game to crash? I am running 1.3 and ksp64bit, and I followed the instructions to replace the dll  file, so if anyone knows what is wrong I'd appreciate it. If anyone needs my update log or anything, I'd be happy to supply them, thanks.

Just to be absolutely sure for @Starwaster's sake @CGiuffre164 (and to save you time if you aren't) are you 100% you are on 1.3.0 and not 1.3.1?

It's the first time I have installed this mod, it seems to be ok but at the main loading screen I get a specific incompatibility message:

Incompatible mod detected

bla bla bla

These mods are incompatible with KSP 0.1.3

I installed it manually as the first topic says, installing 1.2.2 and then adding the 1.3 file
KSP version is 1.3

Edited by Bersagliere81

28 minutes ago, Bersagliere81 said:

It's the first time I have installed this mod, it seems to be ok but at the main loading screen I get a specific incompatibility message:

Incompatible mod detected

bla bla bla

These mods are incompatible with KSP 0.1.3

I installed it manually as the first topic says, installing 1.2.2 and then adding the 1.3 file
KSP version is 1.3

Ignore the message.

• 3 weeks later...