[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

2 hours ago, dafidge9898 said:

I know my reentry profile is fine, and my craft is stable. I tested reentry with the Mk 1 pod, which is definitely RO compatible, and it still blew up, so I think it just comes down to tweaking some settings. Do you happen to know which settings to turn down? Thanks

EDIT: I noticed there is a config file higher up, but I dropped that in the deadly reentry folder to no avail. 

Please make your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file available to me for download (Dropbox preferably)

And your output_log.txt file

On 3/27/2018 at 9:01 PM, Starwaster said:

Please make your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file available to me for download (Dropbox preferably)

And your output_log.txt file

Here you go

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0vleh0p582wgqs/output_log.txt?dl=0

Modulemanager.configcache: https://www.dropbox.com/s/86rl3y1zwamdl0z/ModuleManager.ConfigCache?dl=0

Thanks again

7 hours ago, MajorTom74 said:

can you update it for 1.4.1?

Hi @MajorTom74, welcome to the forums. It is usually good etiquette to read the first page and last few (at least) before posting. If you had, you would have seen that Starwaster is working on it. It is also against forum rules to ask for updates, unless there's some unusual reason (the mod seems inactive, the update has been out for a while and no one has mentioned it). In the case of this mod, it is being actively developed. Be patient, revert to an older version of KSP, or do without it. 

Personally, whenever KSP updates, *if* I decide to update as well (I don't always stay on the current version), I wait for months (yes, months) until the mods I like to use are updated or it's clear that they aren't going to be updated and linuxgurugamer hasn't taken into the stable of 200 or so other mods that lgg maintains and develops. :) When 1.4 was dropped, I started a new game of XCOM:EW - Long War. I figure by the time I am done, either Squad will have a new version OR all my faves will be updated.

Anyways, enjoy KSP - it is truly one of my favorite games, and the modding community is what makes it so.

2 hours ago, eightiesboi said:

Hi @MajorTom74, welcome to the forums. It is usually good etiquette to read the first page and last few (at least) before posting. If you had, you would have seen that Starwaster is working on it. It is also against forum rules to ask for updates, unless there's some unusual reason (the mod seems inactive, the update has been out for a while and no one has mentioned it). In the case of this mod, it is being actively developed. Be patient, revert to an older version of KSP, or do without it. 

Personally, whenever KSP updates, *if* I decide to update as well (I don't always stay on the current version), I wait for months (yes, months) until the mods I like to use are updated or it's clear that they aren't going to be updated and linuxgurugamer hasn't taken into the stable of 200 or so other mods that lgg maintains and develops. :) When 1.4 was dropped, I started a new game of XCOM:EW - Long War. I figure by the time I am done, either Squad will have a new version OR all my faves will be updated.

Anyways, enjoy KSP - it is truly one of my favorite games, and the modding community is what makes it so.

Thx :)

• 2 weeks later...

I understand this mod has been affected by the removal of the old particle system? However, I trust that will be dealt with in the next update. If that is the case, would a standalone release (or relevant DRE settings) of those visual effects be a viable possibility? Either way, thanks for maintaining this mod.

16 hours ago, PortalGunner said:

I understand this mod has been affected by the removal of the old particle system? However, I trust that will be dealt with in the next update. If that is the case, would a standalone release (or relevant DRE settings) of those visual effects be a viable possibility? Either way, thanks for maintaining this mod.

Yes I had to change things because of the old particle system being deprecated. (something that has been coming for awhile)

A separate release wouldn't be helpful, no. Things have gotten held up a bit because there were other code changes I wanted to go into the next update but I'm also working on other things such as Real Fuels and getting some new cryogenic changes there and that caused me to lose my DR momentum. I'll try to get a DR update pushed out soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, chateaudav said:

I am testing the 1.4.0 dev branch with ksp 1.4.3
I have lots of errors with FxEmmiters.
If you want more informations to help you updating i can submit logs. Tell me. Thanks for all !

No need, it's not going to work without errors because the old particle system has finally been removed after being in a deprecated state for a long time. There's a new system to switch over to.

It's going to have to have an update to work with 1.4

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 7:11 AM, Starwaster said:

No need, it's not going to work without errors because the old particle system has finally been removed after being in a deprecated state for a long time. There's a new system to switch over to.

It's going to have to have an update to work with 1.4

I've written a very cut down sort of "DRE-Lite" for 1.4. It doesn't attempt to support part damage or kerbal injury, and it focuses on changes only to some of the more outrageous parts like heat shields and service bays.

I've adopted DRE's approach to heat shield failures but won't attempt to fix the underlying silly physics.

Keep an eye on https://github.com/ringerc/KSP-DRE-Lite and https://spacedock.info/mod/1889/ .

BTW, I also filed a bug on the underlying defect in ModuleAblator which should be fixed in core; see https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19234 

Edited by ringerc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Official release for KSP 1.4 (1.4.0 - 1.4.5)

This is just a compatibility release and particle update to the new particle system. Some other minor config tweaks and parts compatibility configs...

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.7.0

Known issue: Kerbals on EVA STILL have a thermal warning gauge and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. Bottom line is that Kerbals (like humans) have a very narrow range of temperatures they can live in and for whatever reason, the gauge threshold multiplier is being ignored for Kerbals and I still don't know why. From what I can tell it shouldn't be happening so there's probably some unknown bit of KSP code somewhere that I haven't accounted for.

• 2 weeks later...

@Starwaster many thanks. This is a wonderful mod and a very essential one,  my 1.4.x games just werent the same without it.

The temperature gauge in EVA sure is weird,  but it is correct,  right?  It takes into account the kerbal's current and max temperature and shows a valid warning,  does it not?  Or I'm wrong and the gauge is just nonsense data? Because if the first applies,  then the gauge is actually an useful thing.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:36 PM, Daniel Prates said:

@Starwaster many thanks. This is a wonderful mod and a very essential one,  my 1.4.x games just werent the same without it.

The temperature gauge in EVA sure is weird,  but it is correct,  right?  It takes into account the kerbal's current and max temperature and shows a valid warning,  does it not?  Or I'm wrong and the gauge is just nonsense data? Because if the first applies,  then the gauge is actually an useful thing.

The gauge is correct in that the Kerbal's current temperature is within (IIRC) 75% of his max temperature range. However, that should be getting overridden but KSP doesn't accept my settings for Kerbals and I don't know why. Actually it could be that the gauge settings might not be getting respected for any parts but I don't override it anywhere else and haven't checked. In any event, there is a definite stock bug that keeps me from adjusting the gauge. Next time I work with the DR code I will try overriding the gauge programatically instead of in the part config.

Another way of looking at it is that right now you yourself are within about 83% of YOUR max temperature range.... (if you ever reached  373.2 Kelvin, you would probably explode because all the water in your body just turned to steam... but you would have died of scalding long before that happened) 

Edited by Starwaster
actually 83% not 75%; on the Kelvin scale

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

The gauge is correct in that the Kerbal's current temperature is within (IIRC) 75% of his max temperature range. However, that should be getting overridden but KSP doesn't accept my settings for Kerbals and I don't know why. Actually it could be that the gauge settings might not be getting respected for any parts but I don't override it anywhere else and haven't checked. In any event, there is a definite stock bug that keeps me from adjusting the gauge. Next time I work with the DR code I will try overriding the gauge programatically instead of in the part config.

Another way of looking at it is that right now you yourself are within about 75% of YOUR max temperature range.... (if you ever reached  373.2 Kelvin, you would probably explode because all the water in your body just turned to steam... but you would have died of scalding long before that happened)

Yeah so I gather the only issue is  the gauge showing when it shouldn't, but still, it does serve a purpose. Could be interesting to reentry an EVA kerbal and see what the gauge says!

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Yeah so I gather the only issue is  the gauge showing when it shouldn't, but still, it does serve a purpose. Could be interesting to reentry an EVA kerbal and see what the gauge says!

Thanks!

Make sure you have your speakers turned up when you do.

Hi, Starwaster! Thanks for update. DRE decreases a lot of max skin temp numbers for OPT parts in my install, so half of the cockpits are useless now - with only 1350-1500 C treshold. Was it done on purpose or I have issues with my install?