[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

It was Novapunch fairings; and at least as FAR is concerned they're protecting the inside; looking at the return vehicles it looked like the two fuel tanks were being crushed by a 60 kilogram reaction wheel upon acceleration; really weird to see them accordion like they are; but damn if they aren't pretty in flight :D lol

EDIT number 4: Figured out the issue. Kraken was hungry. Took out two of the four landers and the part count went down enough (took out 66 parts total; each lander was 32 parts plus two for the radial decouplers) the Kraken stopped wanting to eat the craft. Really really wish there were some way to have the game say something to the effect of "ERMAGERD KRAKEN INCOMING" versus having me scratch my head over nonsensical flight log messages.

Yeah, you'll be sitting there, minding your own business, relaxing to the soothing space music of KSP when suddenly an ear piercing blood curdling screeching klaxon will start blaring in your ears (cause you're using a headset right?) and you'll jerk upright banging your knee into the desk as your pulse quickens and the klaxon is going EHHHHHH! EHHHHHH! EHHHHHH! EHHHHHH! and you know another rocket is about to meet its maker. (or maybe your maker.... someone's maker)

Ok, sue me, I don't do sound effects so well.

Yea either way neither is at fault; it turns out it's the damn 0.625 fuel tank; must be made of screen door mesh instead of metal with as much as it flexes. Pic 1Pic 2

I don't want to clutter the forums with large pictures. But the part that looks like it's all AIES batteries is actually a 0.625 fuel tank from RLA stockalike. On top of it is a window air conditioner...well AIES square-ish probe core. All in all I want to say with everything on top of it it's something like 250-300 kilograms (the entire craft is only 1.1 tons) and the fuel tank accordions like crazy under time acceleration and heavy acceleration (pretty sure that's what was happening under the shrouding; as the third time I launched before the part reduction I made sure to look at the part temperatures and they weren't even hitting 50 degrees centigrade before going kersplody). Even with the problems (I'll probably need to strut the science jr to the KSPI radiators [assuming they have radial attach enabled] to keep that from happening in the future) they're worth close to 400 science apiece. The plan was 4 probes per launch; but with the Kraken looming it'll have to be two.

Also, Hell Yes I want a Kraken Klaxon.

Yea either way neither is at fault; it turns out it's the damn 0.625 fuel tank; must be made of screen door mesh instead of metal with as much as it flexes. Pic 1Pic 2

I don't want to clutter the forums with large pictures. But the part that looks like it's all AIES batteries is actually a 0.625 fuel tank from RLA stockalike. On top of it is a window air conditioner...well AIES square-ish probe core. All in all I want to say with everything on top of it it's something like 250-300 kilograms (the entire craft is only 1.1 tons) and the fuel tank accordions like crazy under time acceleration and heavy acceleration (pretty sure that's what was happening under the shrouding; as the third time I launched before the part reduction I made sure to look at the part temperatures and they weren't even hitting 50 degrees centigrade before going kersplody). Even with the problems (I'll probably need to strut the science jr to the KSPI radiators [assuming they have radial attach enabled] to keep that from happening in the future) they're worth close to 400 science apiece. The plan was 4 probes per launch; but with the Kraken looming it'll have to be two.

Also, Hell Yes I want a Kraken Klaxon.

Your problem can actually be summed up as not having used Starwaster's breakingForce / breakingTorque fix.

Copy this into a cfg file. Uses ModuleManager (1.5.0 - 1.5.5 preferred; I know the syntax is still valid there)

breakingForce_fix.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[~breakingForce[]]
{
breakingForce = 200
}
@PART[*]:HAS[~breakingTorque[]]
{
breakingTorque = 200
}

USE it. Tell everyone else to use it. It will fix a world of hurt a lot of people don't realize they have. (I think 200 is a median value, probably. Engines probably should actually be at 1000 or higher but this is still 10 times better than what they have, which is the default value when their PART node is missing breakingForce or breakingTorque)

Edit: If your engine ever falls off in solar orbit (just sitting there minding your own business as usual, not thrusting, not spinning, other than from phantom forces) then you definitely want this. Note that this does NOT affect every part, just parts that have missing values for the properties mentioned. By default, I'm told they have a value of 22 but that's either just way too low for buggy physics. Probably some parts should be considered to be that weak, but both Squad and the part modding community in general tend to neglect setting the property to higher values when needed resulting in parts mysteriously breaking that should have held together.

Edited by Starwaster

Oh no kidding Star? That's great man (or woman, or kerbal, or whatever gender you so choose). I just ended up using four struts to solidify the connection; but that'll save me some extra weight and kick me back up over N dV...hell I couldn't tell ya; both MJ and VOID bug out when I decouple the probe bodies; but attached to the main lifter assembly at a few extra tons (11 something) it's something like 4.4 km/s. Appreciate the config fix.

Oh no kidding Star? That's great man (or woman, or kerbal, or whatever gender you so choose). I just ended up using four struts to solidify the connection; but that'll save me some extra weight and kick me back up over N dV...hell I couldn't tell ya; both MJ and VOID bug out when I decouple the probe bodies; but attached to the main lifter assembly at a few extra tons (11 something) it's something like 4.4 km/s. Appreciate the config fix.

Definitely a male creature of some type.

My first science landers in a DRE career save generally consist of a pod with a modular girder section attached at the bottom. Attach radial parachutes and goo modules to the sides of the girder. Then put a science bay and/or heat shield under the girder. It makes for a nice, compact design that hides the modules and radial chutes from the heat.

When you want to re-enter the science stuff with you (for whatever reason) you can also attach it to the top of the capsule, where the chute usually goes. Just put the chute on top of the girder and merrily attach all the sciences and batteries and stuff to the girder. This saves you the additional heat shield, since the pods shield will do just fine.

As some have mentioned, you can also just collect the science with a Kerbal and return everything in the pod, but you might want to return more stuff, for example when you're using MissionController Extended where you get some money back...

I tend to just make sure to leave myself enough return dV to slow down to 3.1 or 3.2k m/s @ 30-34 KM periapse. That ensures nothing reaches more than 970-980 degrees Celsius at which point placement doesn't really matter. (Only valid with stock Kerbin / FAR / DRE).

Ok, so I'm using DR with BTSM. What can I do to reduce heating? It is impossible to make anything survive re-entry into Eve. For example, I came in, and aerobraked at 70-72 km for a while until I dropped lower. My heat shield overheated and exploded, followed shortly by everything else.

Next, I came in with a LV-909 engine and plenty of fuel. I used the engine to hold my spacecraft at 70-72 km as I really, really slowly aerobraked. I was at less than 2700 m/s before I dropped into the lower atmosphere. It made no difference; my heat shield still overheated and exploded. It didn't even use up much of the ablative covering; it just exceeded 1500 degrees and blew up, with still over 200 ablative covering.

I know for a fact that IRL, humans have produced a heat shield that survived entry into JUPITER'S atmosphere, a far more extreme challenge than a real-life Eve analog would be.

Also, it seems that if I try to enter the atmosphere of Kerbin from anything other than a low orbit, my heat shield will overheat and explode. I know for a fact that the Apollo spacecraft survived re-entry from a Lunar free return trajectory. Trying the same in KSP will result in death.

I would like to change the config settings so that it is possible for heat shields in BTSM and DR to behave more realistically. Which config settings will make them overheat less easily?

Perhaps, the main issue I'm having is that I don't have FAR installed, so I can't use my heat shield to generate lift like a previous poster suggested. But I don't think that BTSM is really compatible with FAR, so for now, until I finish the BTSM career, I really need to change some settings so that it's possible to use heat shields realistically.

BTW, before someone b*tches at me, I cannot search the thread for "Eve". Too short.

Edited by |Velocity|

Ok, so I'm using DR with BTSM. What can I do to reduce heating? It is impossible to make anything survive re-entry into Eve. For example, I came in, and aerobraked at 70-72 km for a while until I dropped lower. My heat shield overheated and exploded, followed shortly by everything else.

Next, I came in with a LV-909 engine and plenty of fuel. I used the engine to hold my spacecraft at 70-72 km as I really, really slowly aerobraked. I was at less than 2700 m/s before I dropped into the lower atmosphere. It made no difference; my heat shield still overheated and exploded. It didn't even use up much of the ablative covering; it just exceeded 1500 degrees and blew up, with still over 200 ablative covering.

I know for a fact that IRL, humans have produced a heat shield that survived entry into JUPITER'S atmosphere, a far more extreme challenge than a real-life Eve analog would be.

Also, it seems that if I try to enter the atmosphere of Kerbin from anything other than a low orbit, my heat shield will overheat and explode. I know for a fact that the Apollo spacecraft survived re-entry from a Lunar free return trajectory. Trying the same in KSP will result in death.

I would like to change the config settings so that it is possible for heat shields in BTSM and DR to behave more realistically. Which config settings will make them overheat less easily?

Perhaps, the main issue I'm having is that I don't have FAR installed, so I can't use my heat shield to generate lift like a previous poster suggested. But I don't think that BTSM is really compatible with FAR, so for now, until I finish the BTSM career, I really need to change some settings so that it's possible to use heat shields realistically.

Hi there! Chances are you're just using unsuitable heat-shields for your chosen target for now. For kerbin, the 1.25m (and Mk-1 command pod) heatshield is suitable for LKO, the 2.5m (Mk1-2) heatshield is suitable for pretty much anything faster. Remember to keep a periapsis of around 30km on kerbin to prevent the shield blowing up before it gets a chance to ablate.

Eve is a tricky one by design. Using engines to kill velocity while in a low orbit always helps, but really it's a drop that the 3.75m heatshield was made for. Of course, aerobraking with a poodle or the like never hurts anyone.

Hi there! Chances are you're just using unsuitable heat-shields for your chosen target for now. For kerbin, the 1.25m (and Mk-1 command pod) heatshield is suitable for LKO, the 2.5m (Mk1-2) heatshield is suitable for pretty much anything faster. Remember to keep a periapsis of around 30km on kerbin to prevent the shield blowing up before it gets a chance to ablate.

Eve is a tricky one by design. Using engines to kill velocity while in a low orbit always helps, but really it's a drop that the 3.75m heatshield was made for. Of course, aerobraking with a poodle or the like never hurts anyone.

Well, thanks for the info. I had no idea that the larger heat shields could withstand higher temperatures. Yes, I'm using the 1.25m shield.

Hmm... perhaps in future versions, maybe we could have 1.25 m and 2.5 m shields that are heavier, but provide more protection?

Hey, im new to D R-E, im using the realistic parachute mod (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57988) and for some reason they bleed heat incredibly fast making them act as cheating heat shields when i replace them with the vanilla parachute.

is there something i can edit to give it the same heat properties as the vanilla parachute? i did a test side by side going straight up from the ground, when vanilla parachute reached about 900 degrees, the realchute had reached about 178....

Edited by GalaxyGryphon

BTW, before someone b*tches at me, I cannot search the thread for "Eve". Too short.

Are you also using Real Solar System? Stock heat shields are not sufficient protection.

Hello there. I have an interesting but largely unwanted thing with crafts landed on planets with atmosphere. When I get close (about 100 meters or something) to such a ship (inactive one, just standing there), it explodes. Maybe because at this point the game applies physics to that ship, and considers it moving through the atmosphere at the speed of planetary rotation, I'm not sure. Oddly enough, if said ship is my target, it does not explode (and if there are several crafts, only one can be set as target, so all other ones explode anyway). It may be a mod conflict (FAR, KJR, RT and Interstellar come to mind, all other are mostly part mods), but that seems unlikely. Sorry if it was mentioned, couldn't find it.

Edit: ruled out RemoteTech 2: I thought it could be the bug where some ships get duplicated, but no, things explode without RT installed. And setting the ship as target does not prevent an explosion either, at least not all the time.

Edit 1: Turns out it is not Deadly Reentry at all. Same explosions happen even when I uninstall it. Apologies for this false bug report.

Edit 2: It was FAR; fixed in v0.12.5.2.

Edited by Konnor

As I don't seem to be the only one having this problem... the mod doesn't seem to compensate for engines with high heat tolerances. It will lower the max temperature, but not the heat production. Doesn't take long to edit the configs of the affected parts and it only seems to be an issue with other mods, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

EDIT: Never mind, didn't realise at the time that there was a simple way to correct this. Sorry I thought it was a bug or similar.

Edited by Ranmaru

For some reason, the RAPIER engines catch fire and explode when leaving the atmosphere before running out of air and switching modes.

I tried to edit the ModuleManager configuration to fix this (scale down the heat production), but due to a little hangup it doesn't work nicely. You can edit GameData/Squad/Parts/Engine/rapierEngine/part.cfg directly and reduce the two instances of heatProduction to something comparable to the tubofan engine AND a liquid oxygen rocket, or have a look at my post int the ModuleManager thread for some more detail: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219-Module-Manager-1-5-6-(Jan-6)?p=895224&viewfull=1#post895224

I don't know why, but I find this mod completely impossible to use. Starting with a three man capsule in a circular, 100KM orbit, I lower my periapsis to 35 Km. everything looks good, temp slowly increasing, speed falling, until right about 35-40KM. My shield, which had been ~200 degrees and ablating, starts heating at 100-150 degrees per second, so in about five seconds it explodes. I can't imagine a much easier or slower standard descent, and this seems to be what everyone says to use, but to no avail. I even tried a suborbital hop, that peaked at about 45KM and 700meters per second orbital velocity, and it did the exact same thing.

What am I missing?