[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Your reentries aren't shallow enough then. ;)

Orbital reentries are actually less challenging than suborbitals, because of the G-limits. Although I'm thinking of doubling the limits, since the current limits are based on time to first injury, not time to death.

Anyway, gToleranceMult affects parts; what you want to change are those two giant crewG numbers, warn and kill. Try doubling each. That will give you twice as long at high G.

Your reentries aren't shallow enough then. ;)

Orbital reentries are actually less challenging than suborbitals, because of the G-limits. Although I'm thinking of doubling the limits, since the current limits are based on time to first injury, not time to death.

Anyway, gToleranceMult affects parts; what you want to change are those two giant crewG numbers, warn and kill. Try doubling each. That will give you twice as long at high G.

Ok, thanks for the speedy reply, I've tried rolling back to 4.1, but I'll give this a go on 4.3

Sure!

Nothing should have changed regarding that in the last few versions. The main thing is, suborbital reentries *are* high G (if ballistic). The other thing you can do is use a pod with lift, like the Mk1-2 (and offset its CoM, or use RO where that's already done). This will provide a lifting reentry, which lowers Gs a lot.

Basically, with an apogee of 185km and a range ("ground distance covered" or whatever) of 500km you're looking at 12 or so Gs peak. With a higher apogee or lower range the Gs go up. ICBM-level reentries are like 30Gs.

Sure!

Nothing should have changed regarding that in the last few versions. The main thing is, suborbital reentries *are* high G (if ballistic). The other thing you can do is use a pod with lift, like the Mk1-2 (and offset its CoM, or use RO where that's already done). This will provide a lifting reentry, which lowers Gs a lot.

Basically, with an apogee of 185km and a range ("ground distance covered" or whatever) of 500km you're looking at 12 or so Gs peak. With a higher apogee or lower range the Gs go up. ICBM-level reentries are like 30Gs.

Yeah it seems to be working more lore friendly(ly) now, had a russian cosmonaut on a ballistic reentry saying his last prayers, only just survived at 13g peak, it was intense. I've seen that atmospheric 'surfing' done in this awesome video of the Ares 1-X Prime abort mission scenario:

I've also used that technique before with my shuttles on RSS but thanks it's working alright now! :D

Hi,

I'm using this mod and I love it, but I cant find a good way how to protect spaceplane during aerobraking. Issue is that wings are always so large that they are outside of heatshield protection. I was using only metal heatshields as inflatable one will always flip, no matter how many RCS, SAS or airbrakes I will use. Any tips on this?

My last heavy aerobraking was during return trip from Jool, when I was aerobraking at Kerbin atmosphere from 5500ms :D luckily my transfer stage was in front of spaceplane, so most damage was on it. Spaceplane lost both engines on wings, but aerospike in center survived which was enough for deorbiting :)

Hi,

I'm using this mod and I love it, but I cant find a good way how to protect spaceplane during aerobraking. Issue is that wings are always so large that they are outside of heatshield protection. I was using only metal heatshields as inflatable one will always flip, no matter how many RCS, SAS or airbrakes I will use. Any tips on this?

My last heavy aerobraking was during return trip from Jool, when I was aerobraking at Kerbin atmosphere from 5500ms :D luckily my transfer stage was in front of spaceplane, so most damage was on it. Spaceplane lost both engines on wings, but aerospike in center survived which was enough for deorbiting :)

For some mods like B9, DRE should have added heatshields into some of its parts. With careful and shallow reentry it should be OK to safely get in & out. You might need to use shallow but negative-lifting trajectory to allow a smoother but sufficient aerobrake I guess, but I've never tried that.

But carefull aerobraking is not always possible during planetary transfers. With this Jool - Kerbal transfer, I had to go 28km in Kerbin atmospehre to be captured by planet. 28 km with 5500ms without heatshield is not good :)

do you have any tips on how to properly use inflatable heatshield without flipping whole craft?

But carefull aerobraking is not always possible during planetary transfers. With this Jool - Kerbal transfer, I had to go 28km in Kerbin atmospehre to be captured by planet. 28 km with 5500ms without heatshield is not good :)

This mod is supposed to add some realism to the game - AFAIK realistically you could not safely aerobrake from interplanetary speeds. You need to slow yourself down before you enter the atmosphere.

do you have any tips on how to properly use inflatable heatshield without flipping whole craft?

You can always do multiple passes through an atmosphere to gradually slow yourself down to circularize your orbit.

To prevent flipping with a large heatshield in the front you should put some fins on the back so that your CoL is behind your CoM.

Nathan (or anyone using both FAR and DRE): When I didn't use those 2 mods, I used to set a transfer node to basically go at an 80* angle down to hit the planet surface. It seems I can no longer do this as I the G forces and heat kill my kerbal. So when I re-enter the atmosphere at a proper moderate angle, the planning node gets all messed up when I hit the atmosphere because maneuver nodes don't taker into consideration using the atmosphere as an airbrake. So I end up so far off course I can't possible get to where I need to be to get science samples.

Do you have suggestions? Thanks so much! :)

Nathan (or anyone using both FAR and DRE): When I didn't use those 2 mods, I used to set a transfer node to basically go at an 80* angle down to hit the planet surface. It seems I can no longer do this as I the G forces and heat kill my kerbal. So when I re-enter the atmosphere at a proper moderate angle, the planning node gets all messed up when I hit the atmosphere because maneuver nodes don't taker into consideration using the atmosphere as an airbrake. So I end up so far off course I can't possible get to where I need to be to get science samples.

Do you have suggestions? Thanks so much! :)

Generally speaking I set my Pe at about 20-36km and about 1/4th the way around the planet from where I want to land and I'm generally good. Be sure to quicksave before you do anything drastic.

Generally speaking I set my Pe at about 20-36km and about 1/4th the way around the planet from where I want to land and I'm generally good. Be sure to quicksave before you do anything drastic.

Pe? I don't know that abbreviation.

Do I need to adjust the shockwave setting as I have FAR mod installed?

Either I am doing very gentle re-entries completely by accident or I am not experiencing enough heating. I just had a 23 tonne unshielded booster successfully reenter using a poodle engine as a heatshield, it barely touched 1,000C and only the un-retracted solar panels broke off. (Kerbin Ap 120km, initial Pe 24km).

Question regarding the sound effects of this mod. I set all my audio to 0 for all settings and I seem to be experiencing the firey-about-to-blow-up effects at loud volumes. Are the sounds effect tired to the game volume levels? or are they independent? If they are independent, is there a way to lower the volume in the cfg file? I could see anything that jumped out as an obvious setting for something like that.

Do I need to adjust the shockwave setting as I have FAR mod installed?

Either I am doing very gentle re-entries completely by accident or I am not experiencing enough heating. I just had a 23 tonne unshielded booster successfully reenter using a poodle engine as a heatshield, it barely touched 1,000C and only the un-retracted solar panels broke off. (Kerbin Ap 120km, initial Pe 24km).

Engines make awesome heat shields. because they are designed to withstand exhaust temperatures in the 1000s of degrees they typically survive reentry really well. and with FAR they are heavy and help to keep it pointed in the right direction. you dont need to change anything.

Engines make awesome heat shields. because they are designed to withstand exhaust temperatures in the 1000s of degrees they typically survive reentry really well. and with FAR they are heavy and help to keep it pointed in the right direction. you dont need to change anything.

Oh cool! I'm going to put one on the bottom of my science Jr. module and maybe it won't break on the way down this time!

Hi everybody, I'm new on the forum and starving for help !

I used the DRE version from the spaceport (version 0.19 I think) until I noticed I cause a bug with the rapier engine. So I go download the maj from the first page of this topic and install it.

My problem is that now I miss some parts ! I miss the shield which fit with the 3-kerbals pod, and the tiny one. I do have the 1-kerbal pod shield and the giant orange and the inflatable one, and also ALL the decouplers.

Can anyone help me ? I tried re-install the mod and modulemanager, but it don't work any better...

Thanks a lot

Hello to everybody, I'm new on the forum and starving for help !

I used the 0.19 version of DRE until I understood it caused problem with the rapier engine.

So I upgrade to the version in first page of topic, but I got this problem :

I miss some parts ! I miss the 3-kerbals pod shield and the tiny shield. I do have all the decouplers, the 1-kerbal pod shield, and the two big shields (orange and inflatable)

Can someone help me ?

Thanks anyway ;)