[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

blackheart612: ablative shielding is a good indication that DRE is installed, but is no indication of it working (resources are separate to the actual functionality). It does, however, tell you that MM is working.

Starwaster I tried pm'ing you, but it says your inbox is full. So ill say it here.

The final nail in the coffin if you will on DRE's status with the reentry effect bug. I'm out of ideas so before I set DRE aside and discontinue dealing with it.. id like to ask one final time. Is there anything that can be done?

I do not know what I am doing different. My computer setup is nothing out of the ordinary.. If a fresh install of both KSP and DRE can't fix it... On top of everything we've tried for.. what's coming up on a week now...

Checkmate?

Why do my crew always died because of G force although the G force meter isn't in the danger zone?

If the ship experiences any extreme rotation that can also exert lethal gforce damage on the crew.

I am pretty new at this and have a question. How do I know if DRE and FAR are working correctly?

I don't seem to be burning up in the atmosphere on reentry. Lots of glowing but nothing blowing up. I see the heat shields in my parts so I know that bit is working but how can I find out if the model is working on reentry? Maybe it's just fluke I am not burning up but I doubt it.....

Check log for errors. Either alt+F12 or check output_log.txt to see if there's a lot of errors during reentry.

Starwaster I tried pm'ing you, but it says your inbox is full. So ill say it here.

The final nail in the coffin if you will on DRE's status with the reentry effect bug. I'm out of ideas so before I set DRE aside and discontinue dealing with it.. id like to ask one final time. Is there anything that can be done?

I do not know what I am doing different. My computer setup is nothing out of the ordinary.. If a fresh install of both KSP and DRE can't fix it... On top of everything we've tried for.. what's coming up on a week now...

Checkmate?

I don't know what to tell you at this point. It's probably some timing issue or race condition sort of thing because the only thing that (apparently) alleviated the problem at all was a build I sent you that had a bug in it that generated a ton of errors which probably slowed code execution down enough to where it stopped happening. Basically what's happening is that DRE overrides when KSP thinks reentry effects should be displayed by adjusting a variable every time the game updates. And every update, KSP re-adjusts that same variable.

Maybe if there's any quality settings you have that are lower than they could be, you could bump those up.

I don't know what to tell you at this point. It's probably some timing issue or race condition sort of thing because the only thing that (apparently) alleviated the problem at all was a build I sent you that had a bug in it that generated a ton of errors which probably slowed code execution down enough to where it stopped happening. Basically what's happening is that DRE overrides when KSP thinks reentry effects should be displayed by adjusting a variable every time the game updates. And every update, KSP re-adjusts that same variable.

Maybe if there's any quality settings you have that are lower than they could be, you could bump those up.

No.. no I've tried that.. I've tried everything. Oh well. Thanks Starwaster for your time. I just find it hard to believe I'm the only one with this problem.

Edited by Motokid600

I have something strange to report, I was flying at an haltitude of 1000m at 72 m/s ( kerbin ) with my hovercraft with external seat, when I start to hear the sound of part burning for excessive heat, I panicked and crashed :D the kerman is still alive but on fire:

http://imgur.com/VaDnpeP

Temp is not going down, what could have happened?

UPDATE: I made a rescue two seat vehicle, that Kengun Kerman keep on fire O_o , I am using FAR

Edited by brusura

Hello.

I want to know if FAR shielded parts dont get heat with this... because i have an SSTO on realism overhaul and the cargo always explodes when i reached high speeds under 40km....

Thanks

DREC does not know that FAR thinks the parts are shielded. Nathan mentioned a DREC branch that (IIRC) needs to be merged that would fix that? I think?

DREC does not know that FAR thinks the parts are shielded. Nathan mentioned a DREC branch that (IIRC) needs to be merged that would fix that? I think?

Yes, that' my branch. :D

and I already made my own edit and compiled the dll with FAR shield logic check inside.

since the branch is already there, just wait for NK to merge it.

HoneyFox: can you rebase and submit a pull?

Damn... for some unknown reason I cannot access GitHub via browsers, GitHub client still works but I cannot find any options inside that allows me to do any kind of merge / create pull request operation...

Damn... for some unknown reason I cannot access GitHub via browsers, GitHub client still works but I cannot find any options inside that allows me to do any kind of merge / create pull request operation...

I can access the github site just fine. I couldn't do it for a few hours; have to go do some chores, but if you want, I could fork your fork and then do a pull request?

I can access the github site just fine. I couldn't do it for a few hours; have to go do some chores, but if you want, I could fork your fork and then do a pull request?

Thanks, my fork might contain some obsoleted codes about these parachutes' reentry heat logic. Remember to remove them and use the new codes from NK's master branch. basically only the GetShieldedStateFromFAR() function (and its reference) is needed.

Is there any way to fix parts with integrated heatshields (i.e.: Mk 1 capsule) transmitting heat to anything attached to them and blowing them up on reentry? Because it rather defeats the purpose of having a built-in heatshield if I have to add another one just so my parachutes survive being attached to the command pod.

Is there any way to fix parts with integrated heatshields (i.e.: Mk 1 capsule) transmitting heat to anything attached to them and blowing them up on reentry? Because it rather defeats the purpose of having a built-in heatshield if I have to add another one just so my parachutes survive being attached to the command pod.

If you are using radial chutes, try this

OKAY. So, it will NOT let me fork Honeyfox's fork nor does Github have a merge function that I've been able to find.... But it does let me initiate a pull request on his fork. Which I did...

well... kind of strange. but anyway...

I do start to consider switching to some other ISP next time the service got expired...