[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I am trying to land on Eve, using FAR and DRE, equipped the inflatable heat shield.

When I couldnt get down safely I started dipping into the atmosphere really high (it is higher then the 90km in the info window).

In the third pass with an almost circular orbit and PE at 91km, at around 50km - heat shield cooling down, speed dropping below 1000m/s, g-forces dropping below 3g - my craft disintegrates with all parts reporting exceeded g tolerance.

Any thoughts?

QRvSHdW.png

Edited by KerbMav

I also was running a mission to Eve with two probes using the inflatable heat shield. I was noticing that whenever I was using a craft with that shield, or with the large 3.75 heat shield I would get significant lag. The log shows a constant stream of "Null Reference Exceptions" generated by DREC. Is this a known bug or do you need me to attach the log file?

P.S. I never have a problem exceeding G tolerance with that heat shield. It decelerates so easily you almost don't need parachutes. I never even get re-entry effects when using it. I tried periapses from 68k to 23k and they all succeeded in landing safely. (yes I have FAR also) I also had an extremely elliptical orbit so it had much more energy.

I also was running a mission to Eve with two probes using the inflatable heat shield. I was noticing that whenever I was using a craft with that shield, or with the large 3.75 heat shield I would get significant lag. The log shows a constant stream of "Null Reference Exceptions" generated by DREC. Is this a known bug or do you need me to attach the log file?

Need the output_log.txt file from the ksp_data folder. Not, I repeat: NOT the KSP.log file from the main folder.

Can't really speak to your other problems... But it sounds like they're applying drag that they shouldn't.. FAR should handle all drag but the inflatable is probably altering its own drag when it inflates. FAR eliminates all stock drag but the inflatable then goes and puts it back?

but the last time I tried using this, my rockets always oriented the heat shield in the back

What does that even mean???

Need the output_log.txt file from the ksp_data folder. Not, I repeat: NOT the KSP.log file from the main folder.

Can't really speak to your other problems... But it sounds like they're applying drag that they shouldn't.. FAR should handle all drag but the inflatable is probably altering its own drag when it inflates. FAR eliminates all stock drag but the inflatable then goes and puts it back?

What does that even mean???

I think he means that the ship flips so it re-enters backwards. I've had that happen when the CoG of the ship is too far from the heat shield.

Any word on how this is working in 0.23.5?

Im wondering the same thing. Ill do a test with and without, and report back later tonight. Unless some official word comes in the meantime. I hope it still works, its not the same without the risk factor :D

I've done some *very* preliminary tests with it installed on 0.23.5 and it appears to be working at least at a surface level (temperature readouts on parts present, no errors thrown, inflatable shield inflating, that kind of thing).

Granted I still haven't performed an actual reentry with it, so please do not take that as a statement that it's working fully :)

At the very least though, I anticipate there *may* be problems with the new engines as they use a different kind of engine module than the old (same as the SABRE actually), thus I'm not certain if the heat correction code in DR for engines will apply to them without an update.

Edited by FlowerChild

The heat correction should work fine for anything that *isn't* specified in DRE.cfg, and unless Squad added a *third* new engine module, which AFAIK they did not.

I have tested DREC for some time with .23.5 and found no problems. Barring any reports, I will release an official update tomorrow.

The heat correction should work fine for anything that *isn't* specified in DRE.cfg, and unless Squad added a *third* new engine module, which AFAIK they did not.

Nah, just referring to ModuleEnginesFX as opposed to ModuleEngines, so no, no third type :)

Was a remaining question mark for me as I hadn't tested it yet, and just wanted to mention the difference there in case you hadn't spotted it yourself yet. Glad to hear everything appears to be working right.

Hi there, I just tried going in orbit with a rocket made of the new parts, every engine overheats and explodes before 5000m, no matter the throttle level. Could this be DR related ? I get the crackling sound and flamme particules before they burn up.

Hi there, I just tried going in orbit with a rocket made of the new parts, every engine overheats and explodes before 5000m, no matter the throttle level. Could this be DR related ? I get the crackling sound and flamme particules before they burn up.

Are you sure you aren't just going too fast? With DR that will heat you up whether you're going up or coming back down, and those new engines are very powerful :)

They've been working fine for me in my tests with .23.5.

Are you sure you aren't just going too fast? With DR that will heat you up whether you're going up or coming back down, and those new engines are very powerful :)

They've been working fine for me in my tests with .23.5.

I experienced the same problems Maxwell Fern describes. I built a rocket using the new SLS-alike parts, lifted off very slowly and straight up; both liquid and solid fueled engines overheat and explode in a matter of seconds at full throttle, even when used alone, and even at a third throttle the new big SRB cannot complete its burn without exploding due to overheating, nor can the main engine get past 5000m.

I first thought this could somehow be FAR-related, but uninstalling the few mods I have and testing them one by one, it is clear now that Deadly Reentry is responsible for the very quick overheating of the new SLS-alike parts.

I uninstalled DR and the overheating is gone too.

Something's going on that you're not telling. Either an outdated version or another mod interacting with DREC. Or a set of configs altering engine characteristics.

I just installed DREC and put a quick rocket together with those parts and the engine peaks at 949C. No overheating occurred

Edit: that was a static ground test. In flight the engine typically ran in the 450s.

Edited by Starwaster

I'm getting overheating of the new 4 engine cluster part in stock game play.

Depends on what sort of configuration you run them in. In the test I did, that was a single block at the bottom of a stack. In a group of 4 (mounted on a central core) they ran at 1120C.

WITH STRUTS.

I emphasize that because without the struts they shifted around alot and their exhausts played over each other and dangerous overheating occurred. That was without DREC. A simple set of struts stopped them from shifting around. But still running at 1120C. Not sure why that was since none of them was getting exhaust hits and they were each about 3m apart at the closest. I suspect strutting them directly might have been responsible because strange things happen with the stock heat model when heat producers have multiple adjacent parts that they transfer heat to which can then feed it back to them. Whatever... point is, as you say they can overheat in a purely stock setting too. All depends on how they're arranged.

Something's going on that you're not telling.

Totally possible. I had so many mods installed that I decided to start a fresh copy, and the overheating was gone. So it's possible that another mod interfered, or that it was outdated.

I'll give a try to the latest version just on its own and let you know.

I can confirm that reinstalling DR alone does not cause the engine overheatings I had.

No strange overheating for me, even with my boosted temperature config. Everything works fine.

Care to share your config ? I always found reentry to be way too easy but never managed to get an acceptable config.

I can confirm that reinstalling DR alone does not cause the engine overheatings I had.

Care to share your config ? I always found reentry to be way too easy but never managed to get an acceptable config.

Ditto to that. Would love to make this a bit more challenging.

Give an RSS reentry a try. That'll warm your enchiladas for you (VEG)