[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Hey Nathan! Back again.

So after some deliberate testing, I have at least narrowed down the part in question that seems to be giving me heartache, the Huey Main Rotor I have from the KAX pack. Essentially what seems to be happening is after activating the part, the rotors start to spin, which from the dev Keptin states actually rotates physical rotors. So the problem I talked about before, the flight was relatively slow, no more than maybe 50-70m/s surface, but the rotor was set to 100%. The rotor itself without any throttle seems to reach very hot, so this issue can occur on the ground as far as I know, but I haven't tested that. However I should mention as I did with the others, Firespitter propellers don't seem to have any issues with heating, regardless of throttle, and I'm not sure they are physically rotating, as they don't heat up unless throttle is applied... any ideas?

anyone ride an asteroid into Kerbin's atmosphere? I just realized you can set the activeVessel property of the FLIGHTSTATE to an asteroid and quick-load to it. Obviously you can't control it but it should now simulate physics and DREC on the 'roid right? I don't have one entering Kerbin's atmosphere at the moment to check this out. I know people have of course ridden them down with the aid of ships and whatnot, but don't know if anyone's ever done just the asteroid by itself

Just had another odd incident of a part being shielded when it realisticly shouldn't have been. First flight in a new career mode saw my rocket go nose first with the leading part being a real chute 1.25 cone parachute that hit the atmosphere at 2km/s. Checked the DRE debug menu and it was showing the part is shielded. Might be intentional for this part to do this so that early rockets dont melt down on the first launch but wanted to report it incase it wasn't.

screenshot

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/559882784511444350/86ABF3CAF6C233A3145CB54045010A961AC23853/

output log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYzqg0314S0S0Zqbm41aExmdDg/edit?usp=sharing

No video since I wasn't actively testing anything and not seeing the overheat indicator not poping up took me by surprize.

Ok, that one I got no idea. If you remove the collider offset from the DRE_RealChutes.cfg file, does that help?

adjustCollider = -0.015 just that part or the entire module entry? I'll try either and see what happens.

edit: Just removed that one line was getting a shockwave reading up until I armed the chute @ 18km after that until it opened @5km it was reading as shielded.

Edited by Kalista

Hey Nathan.

So the Huey Rotor in KAX is conflicting with DREC since it apparently spins faster than any other rotor, causing DREC to heat it up to combustion, however instead of exploding, it glitches the temperature, resetting it over and over. Potentially something you might need to speak with Keptin about.

Shielded is usually a FAR thing (Which I noticed you also have installed) You could talk to Stupid_Chris about it and see what he says.

When DREC reports a part as shielded, it doesn't just reference what FAR considers shielded. In fact, that's a relatively recent development.

Aside from FAR, DREC considers a part to be shielded if another part lies between it and the shockwave. really if a raycast from the center of the part along its velocity vector has hit something in its path.

Sometimes if a part is sunk too deeply another part it can be reported as shielded when it's not or unshielded when it should be treated as shielded. That's what the offset is for.

Nice one Nathan, gonna give this a stab now :D have always tried to re-enter at sensible angles and speeds but now I guess I'll see if they actually work!

One small thing: does Alt+D+R also show you the temperature that the craft is experiencing? It was always kind've annoying that stock KSP didn't give you that information (or maybe it did and I just didn't notice it)

anyone ride an asteroid into Kerbin's atmosphere? I just realized you can set the activeVessel property of the FLIGHTSTATE to an asteroid and quick-load to it. Obviously you can't control it but it should now simulate physics and DREC on the 'roid right? I don't have one entering Kerbin's atmosphere at the moment to check this out. I know people have of course ridden them down with the aid of ships and whatnot, but don't know if anyone's ever done just the asteroid by itself

So I found a Class C on a Kerbin intercept and rode it down until it exploded in a large puff of smoke just below 20km. I then edited the quicksave to try a Class D and E and had the exact same results. Well, I was kinda hoping the asteroids coupled with DREC would do the role-playing for me, but I'll just decide for myself if they hit the ground or not. I think anything larger than a Class C would definitely make it to the ground. Class C has a chance to go either way and Class A and B would always burn up

Ablative shield consumed more when the shield is cooler and in lower atmosphere, rather than in higher altitudes and heated up to 1500°C. Is this correct?

Yes, causation is more the other way around- the evaporating shield mass carries away lots of heat, cooling the shield off. You get more ablation at lower altitudes because the atmosphere's thicker.

I am living in Thailand and tried to download this from Github. The download never started no matter how many times I tried. I then connected with my vpn in the Netherlands and it immediately started downloading ..... weird!

A note on settings:

1. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want traditional DRE functionality: don't change anything

2. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want "harder" / hotter reentry (i.e. faking an 8km/sec reentry): set the shockwave exponent and multiplier to taste; I suggest exponent 1.12 to start. You will need heat shields built for RSS. Place this file in your DeadlyReentry folder.

3. Playing on Earth or 10x Kerbin (RSS), want heating to be realistic: don't change anything. Use RSS class heat shields. You can get heatshields configured for RSS, and much more, in the Realism Overhaul release thread.

4. Playing on Earth or 10x Kerbin (RSS), want traditional Kerbin sized-level of heating (aka "easy") set _heat_ multiplier to 12 or so.

The OP says you can edit some values to make DRE more punishing, but is there a way to make it more forgiving so it is compatible with FAR?

The OP says you can edit some values to make DRE more punishing, but is there a way to make it more forgiving so it is compatible with FAR?

Depends on what you mean by 'compatible with FAR'

If by 'compatible with FAR' you really mean 'make it so I don't have to learn how to land/fly with FAR properly' then just edit the same value you referenced above (shockwave exponent) and lower it instead of increasing it.

DREC has no inherent compatibility issues with FAR.

I'd expect the ablation rate to depend on temperature, not on density of the atmosphere.

Technically, in real life, you would be correct. In real life, the surface of the capsule would be getting a lot hotter than it does while the interior remains cool. There's no way with the current system to model something like that. The entire part is assumed to be at that temperature. I'm assuming those are the reasons for using shockwave temperature and not part temperature. (density also factors in as part of the equation presumably to see how much heat is conducted to the craft)

Edited by Starwaster

If by 'compatible with FAR' you really mean 'make it so I don't have to learn how to land/fly with FAR properly' then just edit the same value you referenced above (shockwave exponent) and lower it instead of increasing it.

Was looking for a specific number others use so Eve runs aren't near impossible without burning up...

No need to be so hostile.

Was looking for a specific number others use so Eve runs aren't near impossible without burning up...

No need to be so hostile.

Not hostility. It's just that there is nothing you have to do to DREC's config to survive a reentry with any of the stock planets with FAR. If you're having survivability problems then you should look to your landing process before looking at editing config files to make DREC 'compatible'.

True story.

Where I can get bigger heatshields? All of them have to small diameter for ship like this:

13k5JmZ.jpg

I would burn up my radiators and landing legs... so for now I just brake to 0, as there were no atmosphere.

Hey Nathan, I just installed the new version of DRE, and when I open up the debug screen, there are only two fields: Exponent and Multiplier. And I can't make changes to them.

Hey guys, just FYI. I think I solved the problem I was having. It has to do with the Deadly Reentry .dll file that comes with the PlaCo Heatshields pack. WARNING: DO RUN THIS .DLL - IT WILL COMPLETELY SCREW UP YOUR DEADLY REENTRY MOD.

I hope this helps any else who runs into this.