[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

49 minutes ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

MY SSTOS BLOW UP HELP

During Reentry

That is not nearly enough information. I need to know what parts they are. Are they spaceplane parts? If so are they from a mod? If so what mod? It might not be supported. It might need me to write up configs for it.

Or it could be user error on your part.

But I have no idea what the answer is.

Because you didn't give me any informationz.

And you made my cats cry.

Because they want information.

True story.

P.S. If you don't give me information I will post in Comic Sans and everyone will be unhappy :( 

1 hour ago, Kroslev Kerman said:

its a stock MK2 SSTO first the Wings would blow off(overheated) next by the Engines and the entire Craft

Sounds like you might be coming in too steep. Don't fly the same reentry that you would with a capsule with ablative shielding. Keep it shallow and do as much braking as you can in the upper atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Thank you to the person who just sent me some money! I picked up the DLC now

They beat me to it. I was literally looking at past PM's with you to find your Paypal. Speaking on behalf of all the people who have had their game experience enhanced by your work, if you ever need a DLC or a modding tool or a kidney, let us know. We will arrange it.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:39 AM, eightiesboi said:

They beat me to it. I was literally looking at past PM's with you to find your Paypal. Speaking on behalf of all the people who have had their game experience enhanced by your work, if you ever need a DLC or a modding tool or a kidney, let us know. We will arrange it.

I already donated one of my kidneys

46 minutes ago, Frostiken said:

Is this getting updated for 1.5? I can't see any mention of it, and while I hardly know how to use Github it looks like no activity there either.

I'm sure it will.  He did come out with a recent update for 1.4

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly certain this doesn't cross the line (it's asking if an update will occur, not requesting one), if it does, I apologize, but is an update for 1.5/1.6 on the horizon, or is time to move on from DR?

Edited by dlrk

5 hours ago, dlrk said:

I'm fairly certain this doesn't cross the line (it's asking if an update will occur, not requesting one), if it does, I apologize, but is an update for 1.5/1.6 on the horizon, or is time to move on from DR?

It's been at least 2 months without activity, I'd love to see this continued, but I don't have the know-how to do it. Worst case, I use the parts without the plugin. (the Mk 1-2 Heatshield is a god-send)

8 hours ago, Taki117 said:

It's been at least 2 months without activity, I'd love to see this continued, but I don't have the know-how to do it. Worst case, I use the parts without the plugin. (the Mk 1-2 Heatshield is a god-send)

@Starwaster has been a diligent modder for years, and is still active on the boards, so I don't know that I would assume that the mod is dead. In fact, I would assume that if Starwaster were leaving modding, there may be an attempt to find a new caretaker of the mod or a recommendation on how to set the stock settings to replicate at least a tiny slice of DRE. KSP has gone through multiple revisions in the last few months, and if I were a modder, I might be fatigued trying to keep up with it (in fact, as a player, I haven't played KSP in over a year for exactly this reason--I keep waiting for a version to be stable long enough that the mods I use are released and stable, and that has not happened in a year).

Patience is key. There have been four versions released since October 15. 

Oh, and the board rules don't say you can never inquire into a mod status. It's the pestering and the flood of "when is it ready's" and the "I'm not pushing but OMG I need this" that is prohibited. A polite inquiry like the one @dlrk did is certainly NOT crossing the line, and since it was less than a day ago, I would wait and see whether Starwaster responds.

Right now I am going over Making History parts to see if they need any attention, currently focusing on the round pods (Onion, Pea and Pomegranate). There was some questions about those pods some time back but no specific issue or complaint raised about them. Personally I find their heat shielding a bit sparse but adequate for sub-orbital and LKO. (RO users will probably have to wait for RO support on them though I might do something to buff them in the absence of RO flags on the part config). I also find their masses a bit odd though modifying part masses is generally outside the scope of DR part balancing other than a few parts such as the inflatable shield. So I probably won't touch their part masses but I am open to input on the subject.

So, if anyone has any specific issue about the round pods, NOW is the time.

Update for KSP 1.5.1

Change Log

• Compiled for KSP 1.5.1
  • Compatibility restrictions removed. DR will no longer disable itself if invalid version detected. This does NOT guarantee compatibility. DR will try to work with invalid versions but you will still be warned of compatibility issues so you are warned.
  • Changed how depleted conductivity is handled. Uses prefab.heatConductivity when ablator depleted.
  • Making History configs added for Mk2Pod and round pods.
  • Support added for new part config of old Mk1Pod. (Mk1Pod_v2)
  • Updated KerbalEVA config to catch any PART with MODULE KerbalEVA (new kerbal PART's were added so I changed how this was being detected to guard against future additions)

Note second item about compatibility restrictions. This means DR still will perform version comparisons and you will be warned of possible compatibility issues if there is a version mismatch. However, Deadly Reentry will not disable itself if there is a version mismatch. It may run or it may not (it probably will unless something drastic changed between KSP versions). Compatibility won't be guaranteed in that case. (this means that this version will also run on KSP 1.6.1 and I have been using it in that environment for several days without issue. A new compilation will follow later)

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/tree/v7.7.1

Edited by Starwaster

Thanks for the update. It's going to be my first time trying DRE so I have a few questions:

1) It seems I have both the stock and new heat shields. What's the difference? It seems that the new ones can handle less heat flux but are cheaper? Is there any reason I shouldn't delete them? I like to keep my part count down and as far as I can tell they don't add anything signficiant.

2) Just how deadly is deadly? If I used 40 ablator in stock should I be prepared to use 80 now? It seems the model is more complex so I guess it's not that simple, but if there was a rule of thumb that'd be nice.

3) Are the ablator and "ab" resource essentially the same but "ab" has lower maximum ablation rate?

1 hour ago, TGApples said:

Thanks for the update. It's going to be my first time trying DRE so I have a few questions:

1) It seems I have both the stock and new heat shields. What's the difference? It seems that the new ones can handle less heat flux but are cheaper? Is there any reason I shouldn't delete them? I like to keep my part count down and as far as I can tell they don't add anything signficiant.

2) Just how deadly is deadly? If I used 40 ablator in stock should I be prepared to use 80 now? It seems the model is more complex so I guess it's not that simple, but if there was a rule of thumb that'd be nice.

3) Are the ablator and "ab" resource essentially the same but "ab" has lower maximum ablation rate?

1. The "new" parts predate KSP stock heat shields. They are legacy parts that will be remaining in the mod forever but you are free to remove them. Yes, in theory they can't take as much heat but the stock parts are probably overpowered and may have their max temp reduced at any time. In practice it doesn't matter because when they run out of ablative material all of them have their max temp reduced to the same temperature.
  2. The thermal model is the same; stock handles all thermodynamics now. Deadly Reentry overrides the stock heat shield code to change how they behave. (less useful when they run out of ablator). Rule of thumb is that for the same temperature  and the same amount of starting ablative material you will burn off the same amount.  (i.e. if two shields have the same max amount of ablator then they will burn at the same rate for a given temperature) The main thing Deadly Reentry does is reduce max temp of parts to sane levels instead of treating everything like it’s made of tungsten. 
  3. Resource AblativeShielding is the original DR resource and remains for compatibility purposes. It is intended to be functionally identical to the stock resource except that Squad periodically changes its specific heat capacity and I am only just now noticing that they bumped it up again. (thanks Squad)
Edited by Starwaster

Apparently, my vessel burns up during the ascent while going ~1400m/s at ~56km altitude. Is this an intended behaviour or is something wonky in my install? This is the first time I use this mod in a career game and I cannot keep the fairing until reaching space because I need the upper stage within the fairing to actually reach orbit. I have to gut feeling that I should be save at this altitude but I might be wrong.

I also should mention that I have to use the MK1 Cockpit since it is the first manned pod available in my techtree.

Spoiler

oKjx9Ot.png

(Haven't change anything in the DR settings or the game settings regarding reentry heating)

And yes, this is KSP 1.6.1 and I know that the latest release of this mod is for 1.5.1 :P

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

5 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Apparently, my vessel burns up during the ascent while going ~1400m/s at ~56km altitude. Is this an intended behaviour or is something wonky in my install? This is the first time I use this mod in a career game and I cannot keep the fairing until reaching space because I need the upper stage within the fairing to actually reach orbit. I have to gut feeling that I should be save at this altitude but I might be wrong.

I also should mention that I have to use the MK1 Cockpit since it is the first manned pod available in my techtree.

(Haven't change anything in the DR settings or the game settings regarding reentry heating)

And yes, this is KSP 1.6.1 and I know that the latest release of this mod is for 1.5.1 :P

The Mk1 Cockpit, not the Mk1 Pod?

1. That is definitely a problem because early on the cockpit is NOT space rated. It needs to be upgraded through research to improve its thermal shielding.
  2. Is this the stock tech tree or a modded one? If it's a modded tech tree then is the necessary upgrade even available to you? I don't know the answer to that myself.
  3. Stock planetary scaling right? Not RSS or some scaled up star system? Because keep in mind that supersonic/hypersonic thermodynamics are harsher for stock Kerbin; about 7x harsher to compensate for the small scale planet with its slower speeds. And you're doing about Mach 3.7 - which, coincidentally is the upper limits for the SR71 Blackbird..... so you're REALLY pushing the limits for our physics let alone Kerbin scaled up physics.

So, you REALLY need that upgrade that I mentioned in 1.

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

The Mk1 Cockpit, not the Mk1 Pod?

Yes, the cockpit with pretty poor thermal properties^^

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:
  • That is definitely a problem because early on the cockpit is NOT space rated. It needs to be upgraded through research to improve its thermal shielding.
  • Is this the stock tech tree or a modded one? If it's a modded tech tree then is the necessary upgrade even available to you? I don't know the answer to that myself
  • Stock planetary scaling right?

Yes, it is a modded techtree (Probes before Crew) and stock scaling.
The only update I can find is located in the Hypersonic Flight node, is that the one you're talkin about? The part itself also says that an update will be available at some point. Unfortunately, this bug prevents me to see the actual node name in the part description but the #autoloc key fits to the hypersonic flight node.

Even though the cockpit is not space rated, I was kinda surprised that it will heat up at this altitude while flying <1500m/s...there is not much atmosphere left up there. (But I also don't know much about the physics of a reentry/air compression in flight)

But since you don't seem to be surprised, I guess this is how it should work?