[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

would be nice if had where closer to sun u get hotter vech gets about how the probes that went to venus and such had to have some sheilding from sun

I was philosophising some time ago about adding an atmosphere to the sun that got very dense rather fast, slowing down/burning up crafts that got to close. Some mix of modifications via a planet factory mod to add the atmosphere and EvE to add a corona.

How do I configure/set up DRE so that my shuttles doesnt explode everytime I reenter the atmosphere? Using mostly B9 parts for the shuttle

I want a little bit og a challenge, thats why Im using the mod, but I might have adjusted the settings a little bit, so now everything is blowing up

I was philosophising some time ago about adding an atmosphere to the sun that got very dense rather fast, slowing down/burning up crafts that got to close. Some mix of modifications via a planet factory mod to add the atmosphere and EvE to add a corona.

Adding an atmosphere isn't necessary, at least not for heat only effects. If you want actual drag then, yeah I guess you could add an atmosphere but I think you'd burn up before actually reaching it.

But for just heating, all you need to do is edit the sun's temperatureCurve. You could also do it with Real Solar System... I *think* you could even do it 'out of the box'... have to look into that. If it's not currently possible, the changes necessary should be trivial.

How do I configure/set up DRE so that my shuttles doesnt explode everytime I reenter the atmosphere? Using mostly B9 parts for the shuttle

I want a little bit og a challenge, thats why Im using the mod, but I might have adjusted the settings a little bit, so now everything is blowing up

Need more info; what settings did you change, DREC settings? If so, what specific changes did you make?

And is it a stock Kerbin environment or Real Solar System?

This is gonna sound warped .. to me it does ... but DRE, to me, has become the fave mod of mine ... I have been playing more with re-entry (now that I finally get it) and trying to see if I can land with more and more precision, playing more with aero braking and all sorts of stuff its fun!! Granted there is a lot more to the game but for now this one mod has me fascinated... thanks for your work.

Hello,

I'm having some trouble where I have the 1.25m heat shield on the Mk 1 pod and it doesn't seem to slow down at all compared to without the shield. My kerbals usually end up dying when the shield ablates away and then the higher drag of the pod instantly slows them down deep in the atmo and the g-forces kill them while in the regular pod it would slow down more gradually.

I must be missing something simple I think, but can't get mod to work. Put Deadly reentry folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData" and got new ModuleManager.2.2.0.dll and put that in "\GameData"

I get the heat shield parts but temp is not showing up on parts when right clicking and alt+D+R does nothing. Removed all other mods= nothing, re-installed kerbal then only added DR and ModManager= still nothing.

Any help, sure I've missed something obvious?

Hello! At first, I'd like to praise this mod for adding a meaningful and highly interesting new level to the game. This mod made me read more about reentry and has helped my basic understanding of fluid dynamics a lot. However, I feel the current *.cfg that comes with the mod isn't deadly enough. I have read the last 10 or so pages of this thread but it has confused me more than I'd like to admit.

What I'm trying to do:

I am playing with stock Kerbin. I am flying my space-shuttle-like spaceplane (consists of B9 and SP+ parts) back from LKO. I have F.A.R installed.

What I'm trying to achieve:

I want to experience a somewhat realistic re-entry. I'm put off by the fact that all sorts of tumbling debris that re-enters from LKO isn't burned up at all.

I have found this post:

Only the advice from the front page, start with shockwave exponent, begin increasing until you have the desired level of deadliness.

Press alt-D+R, that opens the debug menu. You'll find shockwave exponent and temperature multiplier among others. An RSS Kerbin shockwave would typically be ~7700 or more, depending on circumstances. Stock Kerbin is going to be around ~2000. If you start getting too high you're going to need those RSS shields.

Question 1: So if I set the shockwave exponent to 1.12, I need the RSS *.cfg, even if I don't play with RSS?

2. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want "harder" / hotter reentry (i.e. faking an 8km/sec reentry): set the shockwave exponent and multiplier to taste; I suggest exponent 1.12 to start. You will need heat shields built for RSS. Place this file in your DeadlyReentry folder.

The fact that this advice mixes Stock Kerbin and RSS further cements this confusion.

If Question 1 is answered with yes:

Question 2: Will the heatshields on B9 and SP+ still work with the above mentioned config? If no, how can I change said reflectivity?

As spaceplanes aren't yet supported by RO, we don't really have working RO-class shielding for them yet. For now, just turn up the reflectivity to .99 or so.

This confuses me as the connection between RO and RSS isn't unknown to me. Remember, I'm playing with Stock Kerbin.

Thanks for reading! :)

Hello! At first, I'd like to praise this mod for adding a meaningful and highly interesting new level to the game. This mod made me read more about reentry and has helped my basic understanding of fluid dynamics a lot. However, I feel the current *.cfg that comes with the mod isn't deadly enough. I have read the last 10 or so pages of this thread but it has confused me more than I'd like to admit.

What I'm trying to do:

I am playing with stock Kerbin. I am flying my space-shuttle-like spaceplane (consists of B9 and SP+ parts) back from LKO. I have F.A.R installed.

What I'm trying to achieve:

I want to experience a somewhat realistic re-entry. I'm put off by the fact that all sorts of tumbling debris that re-enters from LKO isn't burned up at all.

I have found this post:

Question 1: So if I set the shockwave exponent to 1.12, I need the RSS *.cfg, even if I don't play with RSS?

The fact that this advice mixes Stock Kerbin and RSS further cements this confusion.

If Question 1 is answered with yes:

Question 2: Will the heatshields on B9 and SP+ still work with the above mentioned config? If no, how can I change said reflectivity?

This confuses me as the connection between RO and RSS isn't unknown to me. Remember, I'm playing with Stock Kerbin.

Thanks for reading! :)

The reason for using RSS heat shields if you increase shockwave exponent is that RSS re entries have ~3 times higher temperatures. If you increased it high enough.

I have found some spaceplane parts heat shield configs to have adequate protection for RSS. Ultimately It depends on whether you use stock aerodynamics. Spaceplane parts usually have reflection ratings of 25%. If you turn up the heat that might still be enough with stock aerodynamics because you get more drag from the atmosphere.

Without stock drag you may have too much speed at max heating. It depends then on mass. The SP+ parts can still survive if your plane is low mass because drag affects it more. Massive planes and shuttles' inertia will make it less susceptible to drag so you'll have more heating later.

The reason for using RSS heat shields if you increase shockwave exponent is that RSS re entries have ~3 times higher temperatures. If you increased it high enough.

I have found some spaceplane parts heat shield configs to have adequate protection for RSS. Ultimately It depends on whether you use stock aerodynamics. Spaceplane parts usually have reflection ratings of 25%. If you turn up the heat that might still be enough with stock aerodynamics because you get more drag from the atmosphere.

Without stock drag you may have too much speed at max heating. It depends then on mass. The SP+ parts can still survive if your plane is low mass because drag affects it more. Massive planes and shuttles' inertia will make it less susceptible to drag so you'll have more heating later.

Thanks for your reply. I am using F.A.R (not the stock drag model) and Stock Kerbin (not RSS). Your post doesn't clear up my confusing however. The RSS *.cfg (RO_DRE.cfg from the Original Post) has "Realism Overhaul," which I do not use, plastered all over it. That makes me think I don't need it.

EDIT: After reading everything here for a few times, I figure I do need the RSS config. Then my final question remains: Is the RSS config compatible with B9 and SP+ heatshields or do I need to change some part configs for them to work?

Edited by Three_Pounds

Thanks for your reply. I am using F.A.R (not the stock drag model) and Stock Kerbin (not RSS). Your post doesn't clear up my confusing however. The RSS *.cfg (RO_DRE.cfg from the Original Post) has "Realism Overhaul," which I do not use, plastered all over it. That makes me think I don't need it.

EDIT: After reading everything here for a few times, I figure I do need the RSS config. Then my final question remains: Is the RSS config compatible with B9 and SP+ heatshields or do I need to change some part configs for them to work?

The configs SP+ comes with are probably ok. B9 not so sure.. Maybe. My SP+ favorite used some B9 S2 parts and they do ok as they're lightweight. (Dry)

its possible you you might need something beefier

Search the thread (fairly recent) for some sample configs I posted for KSO. Those are better suited for heavier planes. I'm on a bus or I'd just repost. Which I can do in a few hours if needed

The configs SP+ comes with are probably ok. B9 not so sure.. Maybe. My SP+ favorite used some B9 S2 parts and they do ok as they're lightweight. (Dry)

its possible you you might need something beefier

Search the thread (fairly recent) for some sample configs I posted for KSO. Those are better suited for heavier planes. I'm on a bus or I'd just repost. Which I can do in a few hours if needed

I think I found the post you mentioned:

Give this one a try. I've a few concerns about it but I think it should do... unless it's for RSS? Not sure if it will do for that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9n4d9g6e7u6jbr/dre_KSO.cfg

Inside, you pretty much defined every heatshield like this:

@PART[leftwingkso]{
@maxTemp = 1500
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 1 // underside of fuselage
reflective = 0.25 // 25% of heat is ignored at correct angle
}
}

From what I can tell, it's a simple 25% reflective heatshield on the underside of the craft. I checked the DeadlyReentry_B9.cfg (in the DR folder) and the SP+DRE.cfg from the Spaceplanes Plus folder and there are all set up in in this exact way. Conclusion: B9 and SP+ will likely behave like you intended KSO to work.

"correct angle" means underside of (e.g.) fuselage is facing the shockwave? Then all questions are answered I guess. :)

Thanks! :D

EDIT: Because I had problems with the landing gear burning up, I added a reflective heatshield on them as well. The description says they have thermal coating after all.

@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG1T]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 1 // underside of gear
}
}
@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG1TL]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
}
}
@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG2T]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
}
}
@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG2TL]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
}
}

Edited by Three_Pounds

I think I found the post you mentioned:

Inside, you pretty much defined every heatshield like this:

@PART[leftwingkso]{
@maxTemp = 1500
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 1 // underside of fuselage
}
}

From what I can tell, it's a simple 25% reflective heatshield on the underside of the craft. I checked the DeadlyReentry_B9.cfg (in the DR folder) and the SP+DRE.cfg from the Spaceplanes Plus folder and there are all set up in in this exact way. Conclusion: B9 and SP+ will likely behave like you intended KSO to work.

"correct angle" means underside of (e.g.) fuselage is facing the shockwave? Then all questions are answered I guess. :)

Thanks! :D

EDIT: Because I had problems with the landing gear burning up, I added a reflective heatshield on them as well. The description says they have thermal coating after all.

@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG1T]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
}
}
@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG1TL]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
}
}
@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG2T]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
}
}
@PART[B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_HDG2TL]
{
@maxTemp = 1600
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
}
}

Sorry, the one for KSO25 is the one I meant. Also that one does bring up an important point. A lot of the spaceplane configs assume a reentry with the belly pointing directly into the shockwave which is unstable and dangerous. The ones you quoted are outdated. Spaceplanes are better served by direction = 0,1,1 which rewards better for proper flight.

Sorry, the one for KSO25 is the one I meant. Also that one does bring up an important point. A lot of the spaceplane configs assume a reentry with the belly pointing directly into the shockwave which is unstable and dangerous. The ones you quoted are outdated. Spaceplanes are better served by direction = 0,1,1 which rewards better for proper flight.

I guess you mean this post?

The config is a bit more elaborate. But I can see that you set the reflection ranging from 0.98 to 1.8 (What does that even mean?!).

Again: I am not using RSS. But I'm using this

shockwaveExponent = 1.12

So should I set the reflection of every directional heatshield to 0.99 (or even higher) like recommended for RSS?

What if the module looks like this? Should I replace it with 0;1;-1 or 0;-1;-1?

@PART[B9_Aero_HL_Body_LF_05m]{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, -1 // underside of fuselage
}
}

Edited by Three_Pounds

I guess you mean this post?

The config is a bit more elaborate. But I can see that you set the reflection ranging from 0.98 to 1.8 (What does that even mean?!).

Wow ok uh that means 180%. Sounds like overkill right? Those parts were consistently hard to keep oriented. The final result was in the 90s. The final reflection value is based on the dot product between the specified heat shield direction and the velocity vector. So a reflection of 90 ended up 45 which was not enough for RSS. That was before I experimented with adding in a heatsink as it were. (Simulated by Regenerative ablative)

Again: I am not using RSS. But I'm using this

shockwaveExponent = 1.12

So should I set the reflection of every directional heatshield to 0.99 (or even higher) like recommended for RSS?

Not sure if that is full RSS like so not sure if those numbers aren't overkill. Have to get on new bus now.

Wow ok uh that means 180%. Sounds like overkill right? Those parts were consistently hard to keep oriented. The final result was in the 90s. The final reflection value is based on the dot product between the specified heat shield direction and the velocity vector. So a reflection of 90 ended up 45 which was not enough for RSS. That was before I experimented with adding in a heatsink as it were. (Simulated by Regenerative ablative)

Then maybe it's the easiest if I just up the reflection of every part to something in that regime. Is there an easy way to tell what is forward? Again, the B9 configs sometimes uses -1 and sometimes 1 for "downward" on it's parts.

Not sure if that is full RSS like so not sure if those numbers aren't overkill. Have to get on new bus now.

Thanks a lot! Your posts are extremely helpful.