[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Oh okay, I see what it's doing now.

You already have heat shields from Deadly Reentry, so instead of downloading a new set you just make a module manager config like the one Starwaster posted.

open up a text file, paste that stuff in, rename it to WhateverYouWantToNameIt.cfg, then put it in the GameData folder or the subfolder of your choice.

Well I have the RO pack downloaded and there are config files in there for heatshields I just don't know which ones to put where. This is getting obnoxious, I don't know why I'm the only one having an issue with this.

My understanding is that as long as the configs are somewhere in the GameData folder (or any subfolder therein), they will be applied. For organization's sake you could make a folder called Tweaks or MMConfigs or something and put them in there if you like.

Edited by FenrirWolf

My understanding is that as long as the configs are somewhere in the GameData foler (or any subfolder therein), they will be applied. For organization's sake you could make a folder called Tweaks or MMConfigs or something and put them in there if you like.

Ok I guess I'll give it a try, thanks

Ive been trying out more settings of vsync for about an hour now. I had not originally seen the option in my gpu settings to cut the refresh rate to half. And also "Every Other Vblank" in the application does the same. Runs the game at 30 frame per second... And the skipping reentry effects are gone. Its.."smooth" now.

But being locked at 30fps is just.. horrible. So now that im able to narrow down the culprit.. to an extent id like to hope atleast. Maybe now I can work towards a proper solution to run this mod at 60fps. So the more fps the worse the skipping effect. There MUST be a solution somewhere here. I simply cannot be the only person having this problem. Again stock there is no issue, but is it possible the changes to the dynamics can relate to this?

In regards to the latest update of deadly reentry; explosion sounds happen on descent, yet no visible damage appears upon my craft. Also, whilst travelling through the atmosphere, the friction heats up the heat shield (obviously) albeit, half way through it begins to cool dramatically even though the craft is still travelling at speed and not entirely through the effects of reentry. Is this a problem with the latest update?

I have a question: I'm playing RSS and I want to make space planes, landers, etc that can stand up to a bit more heat than usual. Is it possible to add directional and/or ablative heat shields to stretchy tanks (presumably at some penalty to mass)?

I have a question: I'm playing RSS and I want to make space planes, landers, etc that can stand up to a bit more heat than usual. Is it possible to add directional and/or ablative heat shields to stretchy tanks (presumably at some penalty to mass)?

Yes. Just add the module partmodule. ModuleHeatShield

Look at existing shields for examples. Can't show you playing l4d and on phone

From reading through this thread and FAR it seems that the inflatable heatshield is most prone to the "180 flip" phenomenon during reentry. The crux of the problem is that it is difficult to put as much of the mass as possible into the forward position. I'm not sure who did the (awesome) model for the inflatable shield, but it would be really cool if someone with modeling skills could have the shield sort of "envelop" the payload which would allow the CoM to shift forward relative to the shield, as it is supposed to work irl. This picture demonstrates what I am talking about:

6Fffyop.jpg

yqXXfBm.png

Edited by Scripto23

Just updated to 4.6, but I've got a question before I fire up the game: Is the problem of parts attached to pods with integrated heatshields overheating still present?

I'm not aware of that problem.

In regards to the latest update of deadly reentry; explosion sounds happen on descent, yet no visible damage appears upon my craft. Also, whilst travelling through the atmosphere, the friction heats up the heat shield (obviously) albeit, half way through it begins to cool dramatically even though the craft is still travelling at speed and not entirely through the effects of reentry. Is this a problem with the latest update?

Did you separate from some kind of engine block that you let reenter at the same time? If so, the explosions are from that other part blowing up.

As to the latter, if the craft has "ablative" heat shields then this is normal. When the material ablates away, it takes the heat with it.

I'm not aware of that problem.

Well it's there. Stick a radial parachute on a Mk 1 pod, drop it from orbit, and kiss your pilot goodbye. And it's not just radial chutes either, I have the same problem when using the SDHI parachute/docking port combo with the HGR Soy-Juice pod. I'd rectify that problem by the usual "add another heatshield" method, but they don't come in 1.875m. The problem seems to be with how DRE and RealChute interact, but I'm not sure if there's a any patch for it, and I'd rather not go mucking around in the .cfg files for fear of screwing something up. Coding and I don't always get along... .

Edited by TerLoki

Well it's there. Stick a radial parachute on a Mk 1 pod, drop it from orbit, and kiss your pilot goodbye. And it's not just radial chutes either, I have the same problem when using the SDHI parachute/docking port combo with the HGR Soy-Juice pod. I'd rectify that problem by the usual "add another heatshield" method, but they don't come in 1.875m. The problem seems to be with how DRE and RealChute interact, but I'm not sure if there's a any patch for it, and I'd rather not go mucking around in the .cfg files for fear of screwing something up. Coding and I don't always get along... .

I reenter with the stock pods all the time with the SDHI docking port. Don't have a problem.

I reenter with the stock pods all the time with the SDHI docking port. Don't have a problem.

Well I am having a problem. Yes, it works fine with the stock pod, but then that pod's heatshield isn't built-in, the HGR pod's is. That causes the whole pod to reach the same temperature as the shield and overheat the docking port, and I don't really know what to do to fix it because it only seems to affect RealChute parts, and the only fix I've found is for radial chutes.

Well I am having a problem. Yes, it works fine with the stock pod, but then that pod's heatshield isn't built-in, the HGR pod's is. That causes the whole pod to reach the same temperature as the shield and overheat the docking port, and I don't really know what to do to fix it because it only seems to affect RealChute parts, and the only fix I've found is for radial chutes.

The Mark1-2 pod doesn't have a built in heat shield. I have to use the 2.5m heat shield from DRE.

The Mark1-2 pod doesn't have a built in heat shield. I have to use the 2.5m heat shield from DRE.

I know. The problem isn't with the Mark1-2, it's with the Mark 1 and the HGR pods. I never said the Mark1-2 was having this problem.

Edited by TerLoki

Confirming the symptom of what TerLoki is describing, although I don't know the cause myself. I had assumed it was another interaction causing this effect, but I wonder now what would happen if a mini-girder were placed in there.

The bug report reworded is that: If a ship has a built in heat shield, i.e., the Mk1 pod, or some 3rd party modules, that the pod transfers the reentry heat to any stack attached parts, possibly causing them to in turn overheat and explode. Pods with a separate heatshield such as the Mk1-2 do not exhibit this phenomenon, at least not to the point of parts exploding. Caveats may be that there is a bug in Realchutes, as that is the parachute that seems to be the one to blow up often.

Caveats may be that there is a bug in Realchutes, as that is the parachute that seems to be the one to blow up often.

The stock radials burn up nicely as well.

As I stated, I just tack on an extra heatshield on the bottom of the pod, it looks derpy, but at least I'll have chutes for landing.

-

Kolbjorn

Ok, sounds like shields need to get their conductance killed.

Actually, no. This subject has come up previously with certain Real Chutes parts which I'm seeing mentioned again. The problem seems to be centered around them protruding a little too far into the parent part and they don't show up as shielded. Raycasting failure?

This was the solution that worked for people afflicted. I suggest we roll this into DREC in a MM config file

@PART[RC_radial]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
adjustCollider = -0.015
}
}