[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Yeah it must be, I haven't seen this version of the Home before. It may be not that new, but its new to me.

I put this one together for people using Home:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81754-Release-BobCat-Ind-Space-Planet-products?p=1443564&viewfull=1#post1443564

Ah ok so you put together a set of configs then?

Quick question:

did a fresh install, could it be that some parts don't match up? Should there be matching parts but maybe this installation package is missing them? thx.

UP13 -> 1.25m . check

UP20 -> inflatable . check

UP25 -> MK1-2 . check

UP40 -> 3.75m . check

0.625 -> no decoupler?

UP30 -> no heatshield?

Quick question:

did a fresh install, could it be that some parts don't match up? Should there be matching parts but maybe this installation package is missing them? thx.

UP13 -> 1.25m . check

UP20 -> inflatable . check

UP25 -> MK1-2 . check

UP40 -> 3.75m . check

0.625 -> no decoupler?

UP30 -> no heatshield?

UP* are just decouplers; pretty sure the description even says that. 0.625 heat shield has a deoupler in it........

I see you totally got my point and answered with a very witty comment. I congratulate you sir, you win the internet.

I don't know why i came to the conclusion that parts in a mod that match in size and function would have anything to do with eachother, so seeing 2 parts that didn't fit the pattern seemed strange to me.

As you explained the description explicitly says "with the new heatshield for the small pod, this decoupler will fit niceley and meet flush with the pod", so why on earth would i come to the conclusion that parts would fit i don't know, its a fault of mine, i sometimes just don't get obvious stuff.

I will refrain from asking silly questions, of course these are just random decouplers that have totally nothing at all to do with the mod, they are just...there. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways, good sir. Should i have insulted you in any way and taken precious time from your daily schedule of answering important forum questions, i apologize. If there is something i can do to reduce your pain i will do my best.

*what is happening to this forum...ppl are so angry these days

@TNM: Maybe it was too early for Starwaster, or late...who knows. You could have taken the high road and just ignored his comment, instead you decided to insert your quite lengthy sarcasm in response. I'll fully admit I can get cranky too, but your post isn't helping things either.

That said, yes there is some incongruity with DRE parts. I've fixed them within RO, giving more options and using TweakScale to allow different sizes of decouplers without part bloat. If NK wants me to I can integrate some of that into DRE itself, of course soon RealHeat will be coming so changes will probably wait for that release.

(snipped!)

*what is happening to this forum...ppl are so angry these days

wow. That was completely out of proportion to anything I said. I'm angry? You actually saw anger in my response?

that's a problem in you. You're overreacting. Badly. Your last sentence is more applicable to you than me. What is happening to you?

Edit: Now then, coffee in hand, elucidation time.

RedAV8R is right about one thing (but likely not in the way that he meant it, if he saw 'cranky' in my response)

It was too late for me. Quite frankly, it was late and I didn't fully understand the nature of your query. I probably should have waited until after I had rested and investigated. But there was no 'witticism' intended in my response, nor was I responding out of anger or crankiness. I simply didn't fully comprehend. But I was trying to be helpful (and obviously failing badly). But that in no way justified what I had to wake up to reading from you on this forum thread. That was uncalled for.

your daily schedule of answering important forum questions

Yeah, I do wander these forums trying to be helpful to people. But it's not something that is owed to you, I do it because I like to. I do it because I like modding and I like being involved with certain mods that I contribute to.

Now, although I probably should have had a better idea about what you were talking about, simply put, if you had put as much time and energy into your request as you did to your off-base response to me, you probably would have got a better answer. I will look at the parts in question and see if anything needs addressing with them.

Edited by Starwaster

Only the UP25 came with DRE originally. I later added the UP13 for consistency, and then, for compatibility with RO, added the other sizes. Other than the UP25, they were never intended to perfectly match the shields, since the only case where there was a real mismatch with the stock decoupler was with the 2.5m pod and heatshield.

Also, I will just point out that Starwaster does about 80-90% of the tech support in this thread (which is incredibly helpful), and also does support for a bunch of other mods. And in general, people don't deserve to get reamed out for trying to help...

Only the UP25 came with DRE originally. I later added the UP13 for consistency, and then, for compatibility with RO, added the other sizes. Other than the UP25, they were never intended to perfectly match the shields, since the only case where there was a real mismatch with the stock decoupler was with the 2.5m pod and heatshield.

Also, I will just point out that Starwaster does about 80-90% of the tech support in this thread (which is incredibly helpful), and also does support for a bunch of other mods. And in general, people don't deserve to get reamed out for trying to help...

I like to use the UP13 under a stock Mk1 capsule, because it rides high enough on the stock decoupler to leave a bit of a gap. The integer-size decouplers can be deleted if you're not using Realism Overhaul and don't need them for anything. I was about to suggest giving them :NEEDS[RealismOverhaul], but that would annoy people who are using integer-sized parts for some other reason.

I really like the the reduced-size MK1-2 heat shield and decoupler, since they fit perfectly on that pod, and the UP13 decoupler fits perfectly on the Mk1 pod. I would love to see an actual 2.5m size heat shield and decoupler, though...I use the MK3-9 pod from Near Future, and the UP25 and 2.5 heat shield don't fit. Procedural Parts creates a nice form-fitting heat shield for this pod, but that leaves a major gap with any regular decoupler. Would a module manager tweak be enough to create these 2 parts, or would they need to be remodeled?

I like to use the UP13 under a stock Mk1 capsule, because it rides high enough on the stock decoupler to leave a bit of a gap. The integer-size decouplers can be deleted if you're not using Realism Overhaul and don't need them for anything. I was about to suggest giving them :NEEDS[RealismOverhaul], but that would annoy people who are using integer-sized parts for some other reason.

I think they should be left as is. You never know who's using them. Instead if there's a deficiency it could be filled.

Changelog:

v5.3

*DRE will now calculate atmospheric density from temperature and pressure, assuming an atmosphere like Earth's.

*Chute-cutting logic improved; tweakable max chute temperature added.

*Removed B9 part configs (done by the B9 mod itself).

*Display ambient temperature in right-click menu.

*Corrected Celsius/Kelvin conversions, clamp part temperature to absolute zero.

*Sped up the update loop a fair amount

*Fixed a shielding raycast bug

*Avoid some VAB/SPH slowdown/logspam

*Use vessel velocity as the reference frame, not the part (might help with rotors and wobbling parts)

*Made burnup FX (when a part is burning up) occur higher in the atmosphere

*Allow tweaking the reentry FX by applying an exponent to density as used by it. Defaults to 0.7, so they start appearing earlier on reentry than they used to.

*Tweak part burning rate and damage handling.

*Tweak drag etc of inflatable shield (Starwaster)

*FINAL PRE-STARWASTER EDITION

(I'm moving to RealHeat; Starwaster is taking over DRE)

Think of RealHeat like FAR for heat, with DRE closer to Starwaster's Stock Drag Fix (it's not even NEAR).

Except that DRE only does its work when you're travelling really fast through the atmosphere.

A more apt analogy to SDF would be a plugin that modifies the two heat fields based on the objects mass.

(dense massive parts having it adjusted to slow down their thermal intake)

Replace.

DRE is if you want to make reentry dangerous. RealHeat is for if you want realistic heating and cooling. Think of RealHeat like FAR for heat, with DRE closer to Starwaster's Stock Drag Fix (it's not even NEAR).

So if we want even more realism on the heat side of the game, we would do best to switch to this new RealHeat of yours, am I correct?

Does it have it's own thread yet? I can't seem to find it.

So if we want even more realism on the heat side of the game, we would do best to switch to this new RealHeat of yours, am I correct?

Does it have it's own thread yet? I can't seem to find it.

No, he's still working on it! He'll make a thread when it's time.

Patience :)

"Ed Grooberman, you must learn patience."

"Yeah yeah yeah, patience, how long is THAT going to take???"

Replace.

DRE is if you want to make reentry dangerous. RealHeat is for if you want realistic heating and cooling. Think of RealHeat like FAR for heat, with DRE closer to Starwaster's Stock Drag Fix (it's not even NEAR).

Does that mean other heat sources, radiators and evaporating stuff as well?

Does that mean other heat sources, radiators and evaporating stuff as well?

Yes, radiators yes, evaporating.... good question?

Nathan, IMNSHO, RF should have boiloff removed if its not going to have its own radiator anymore.... IMNSHO.

This sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Do you have plans for interoperation/integration with the Interstellar mod? I mean, this comes to mind immediately and it would be silly if you had two different heat systems "fighting each other". Also all the excellent modeling work the Interstellar developer(s) have done for their radiators could then be used for RealHeat. :)

Edited by DaMichel

This sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Do you have plans for interoperation/integration with the Interstellar mod? I mean, this comes to mind immediately and it would be silly if you had two different heat systems "fighting each other". Also all the excellent modeling work the Interstellar developer(s) have done for their radiators could then be used for RealHeat. :)

Interstellar's radiator code is about on the level of DRE. Enough to calculate a radiator temperature to determine the efficiency of the generators, but not really concerned with anything else. Integration will probably take the form of forking Interstellar to replace its heat handling with RealHeat.

It looks like that 5.3 is completely broken for me. It doesn't generate any heat and flames during reentry (or a rapid ascent), ablative shielding isn't consumed. I didn't changed anything in configs.

I use NEAR, if that's important.

It looks like that 5.3 is completely broken for me. It doesn't generate any heat and flames during reentry (or a rapid ascent), ablative shielding isn't consumed. I didn't changed anything in configs.

I use NEAR, if that's important.

NEAR shouldn't matter.

Did you follow the instructions on the front page and delete the old Deadly Reentry first? (optionally retaining custom.cfg if you want, which contains your personal settings if you made changes)

If you haven't then please completely delete your Deadly Reentry folder and reinstall fresh from the downloaded files.

If it still doesn't work then please provide a log file:

1. The Logs
    These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:
    • Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

NOTE: These logs are not the same as KSP.log, which lacks valuable data. Do not upload KSP.log; do upload output_log.txt / Player.log

Also, are you playing stock Kerbin or Real Solar System?