[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

smunisto: as Starwaster says, it's not out yet. We (ferram, Ippo, and I) hope to have it ready soon after .25 though.

ModZero: yes, RealHeat models emission.

Starwaster: RF models boiloff because that's something to do with fuel. The cryogenic tank in RF, for the record, has a much, much, much lower boiloff rate than the S-IVB did (in fact, I think even the Default, non-Cryogenic tank does!) so I don't think it unfair to still have boiloff in RF, besides which if one does use RF, one is quite likely to use RealHeat too.

DaMichel: undercoveryankee (hah, love that name) has about the size of it. We certainly won't be supporting/overriding KSPI out of the box, but it would be a shame not to integrate to some extent down the road.

biohazard15: I will check again in case I somehow broke the packaging of it. Meanwhile, is it broken for anyone else?

John FX: Yep. In fact, since it's being co-written by ferram, the connection is quite close. :D

NEAR shouldn't matter.

Did you follow the instructions on the front page and delete the old Deadly Reentry first? (optionally retaining custom.cfg if you want, which contains your personal settings if you made changes)

If you haven't then please completely delete your Deadly Reentry folder and reinstall fresh from the downloaded files.

If it still doesn't work then please provide a log file:

1. The Logs
    These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:
    • Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

NOTE: These logs are not the same as KSP.log, which lacks valuable data. Do not upload KSP.log; do upload output_log.txt / Player.log

Also, are you playing stock Kerbin or Real Solar System?

Been having the exact same error heat shield doesn't really break the freezing mark till its floating down to the ground. Not using RSS on my end and alot of these mods I have that are now throwing errors weren't in the previous version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYzqg0314S0UDVudFBlOXlzT0U/edit?usp=sharing

Been having the exact same error heat shield doesn't really break the freezing mark till its floating down to the ground. Not using RSS on my end and alot of these mods I have that are now throwing errors weren't in the previous version.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYzqg0314S0UDVudFBlOXlzT0U/edit?usp=sharing

Hi, only just now getting a chance to sit down with this.

Hi, only just now getting a chance to sit down with this.

Watching the fraps video I made of that run ( FYI cooking and attempting to fly a rocket at the same time doesn't work out very well) the only times the temps went over freezing was Ambient spiked at 2c @38km then ran quickly down to -58c and didn't break 0 again till 2200 when it jumped up to the normal 19c. Reg temp didn't break freezing till 1200m.

Watching the fraps video I made of that run ( FYI cooking and attempting to fly a rocket at the same time doesn't work out very well) the only times the temps went over freezing was Ambient spiked at 2c @38km then ran quickly down to -58c and didn't break 0 again till 2200 when it jumped up to the normal 19c. Reg temp didn't break freezing till 1200m.

I think I see the time you reentered and you have massive errors (over 4700+) from scansat. Try removing that and see if the problem persists.

I think I see the time you reentered and you have massive errors (over 4700+) from scansat. Try removing that and see if the problem persists.

No change same altitude for temp plateau still never saw the reg temp break freezing till 1200m.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwYzqg0314S0XzFoYmNEeTdpdGc/view?usp=sharing

edit: Encoding the video of my test and will post a link here soon as I got it up on youtube.

This is also the order of events that I did to my game from yesterday to today ( yesterday other than out of memory errors on long sessions worked like it should). Updated Real Fuels and DRE also changed MM file from 2.4.4 to the 2.4.5 one included with DRE now DRE is going nuts which leads me to believe its either a bug with the new version of DRE or MM.

video

http://youtu.be/Z-rSG_NnsIM

Edited by Kalista

ModZero: yes, RealHeat models emission.

Starwaster: RF models boiloff because that's something to do with fuel.

Great! As for boiloff, I was talking about deliberate evaporation of a coolant, it was used during some stages of flight in the shuttles, for example . Though admittably that's quite niche.

NEAR shouldn't matter.

Did you follow the instructions on the front page and delete the old Deadly Reentry first? (optionally retaining custom.cfg if you want, which contains your personal settings if you made changes)

If you haven't then please completely delete your Deadly Reentry folder and reinstall fresh from the downloaded files.

If it still doesn't work then please provide a log file:

1. The Logs
    These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:
    • Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

NOTE: These logs are not the same as KSP.log, which lacks valuable data. Do not upload KSP.log; do upload output_log.txt / Player.log

Also, are you playing stock Kerbin or Real Solar System?

Yes, I reinstalled by deleting the old version. I play stock system.

Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-l1kSh8cSSAX2Nfc1ZOcUU5Mmc/view?usp=sharing

My DRE behaves just like that in Kalista's video - no heat except ambient and that from engines.

Edited by biohazard15

OK I don't think the errors you're seeing are an issue. DRE is most likely working as it should but its settings defaults seem to have changed.

That's not entirely unexpected because Nathan made changes as to how temperature is calculated but it might be making things too 'chilly' in stock Kerbin.

Edit: No, still looking into it.

Edit #2: Seems like there's some bit of wonkiness going on with re-entry. No temperature rise during high velocity in the atmosphere during ascent, it might actually be the settings like I initially thought. But during reentry (which really shouldn't behave differently but is) it seems like it's thinking it's still in vacuum right up until about 5km altitude....

Edited by Starwaster

I haven't tried reentering yet, but is there a place, where we can get the old releases in case 5.3 is not working?

Here you go: https://github.com/NathanKell/DeadlyReentry/releases

Question to Nathan about his upcoming RealHeat - would that require RSS\RO\FAR\other realism mod, or it would be compatible with stock (or semi-stock, like NEAR)?

I can't seem to get it to work either. I thought it was some conflict with other mods so I tried removing every other mod and running DREC on stock KSP. However, the reentry effects still do not show up.

Yeah I don't think it's a conflict with anything else. Looking into it and I'll get with Nathan later.

I did successfully get chutes to burn up though :confused:

Found the problem.

I'll post a fixed dll in a bit; official update will have to wait until Nathan is available.

Edit:

Wow, so while I was poking at the settings before (thinking maybe that was why things weren't getting nice and toasty) I had previously set them all to 55. All of them. Multipliers... exponents.... you name it.

So I'm sitting here waiting for MechJeb to get my Kerbal into orbit so I can send him back into reentry and I'm reading messages on my phone when I hear an Kerbin shattering kaboom. I look at the screen and the rocket had evaporated into smoke....

I'm blaming Cable TV.

Edited by Starwaster

Sorry for the delay, I was playing with the reentry FX exponent but I've dropped that for now. Reentry FX are probably going to be a little sparse, at least in stock Kerbin. I suspect it wont be as much of an issue in RSS. I tried adjusting it but was getting reentry flames way too low during ascent so it was a little finicky. I've got an idea about it that I'll revisit later. (if you want to try adjusting it yourselves, it's FX Density Exp in the DRE menu (alt+D+R) or in the custom.cfg it's afxDensityExponent

Ok so here it is. Just a hotfix, proper update later

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xm97oycbsddfda/DeadlyReentry_5.3.hotfix.zip?dl=1

Thanks again, Starwaster (there's a reason you're continuing this, you fix not only other users' problems, but mine :D )

Repack uploaded. Should be good now.

I really wish we could have gone with a new version number here :/

Oh well, thanks for the update, I'll give it a shot :)

(I'm calling my local version 5.3.1 though)