[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Wanted:

two 38x38 images to serve as button icons for Deadly Reentry. Could be letters (DR or DRE initials) if so Papyrus font recommended (do you have to ask why?)

Or could be graphic images. (perhaps capsule undergoing reentry)

One has to be the 'off' state and the other the 'on' state.

Also has to use alpha channels to mark clear/opaque areas.

(I'd do this myself but this is a new computer and it's lacking in certain developmental tools including a tragic lack of Photoshop)

What format do you want? PNG?

B/W or color?

Hey guys. This campaign I'm adding in deadly reentry and I'm wondering about the heat shields in the package and any suggested packages you folks would have for a heat nublet. Mostly wondering about some good looking shields and maybe even expanding ones. This mod looks pretty cool and I'm excited to slip it into my lineup.

Not sure if it's particular to Jool (I haven't seen this elsewhere), but when pulling an aerobrake around it, temperature display on all parts seems to read NaN, and I experienced no visible heat effects either:

Bymslzo.png

Installed mods: DR (latest version), PreciseNode, Chatterer, and BTSM.

I had launched a Jool mission a few days before 0.25 came out as well, and everything worked as expected, so this appears to be something new.

Aerobrake was performed on the night side of Jool with a periapsis of around 110Km if that affects things.

Edited by FlowerChild

What format do you want? PNG?

B/W or color?

Probably B/W for the off icon (this is going on the in-game toolbar) with color on the on icon to indicate that.... it's on. Ideas: just the name or initials. It could also be a picture of a capsule, with the on icon having flames. (as much as 38x38 allows)

Hey guys. This campaign I'm adding in deadly reentry and I'm wondering about the heat shields in the package and any suggested packages you folks would have for a heat nublet. Mostly wondering about some good looking shields and maybe even expanding ones. This mod looks pretty cool and I'm excited to slip it into my lineup.

I am partial to the SDHI shield, which previously I have resized duplicates to 3.75m and 5m. With Tweak Scale you could do it to arbitrary sizes.

Not sure if it's particular to Jool (I haven't seen this elsewhere), but when pulling an aerobrake around it, temperature display on all parts seems to read NaN, and I experienced no visible heat effects either:

http://i.imgur.com/Bymslzo.png

Installed mods: DR (latest version), PreciseNode, Chatterer, and BTSM.

I had launched a Jool mission a few days before 0.25 came out as well, and everything worked as expected, so this appears to be something new.

Aerobrake was performed on the night side of Jool with a periapsis of around 110Km if that affects things.

I'll have to send an expedition to Jool immediately to investigate this.

Though I have seen that NaN issue around Kerbin but I forget why..... most likely you got an error at some point after which the temperature was NaN. Might mean I have to put a check in for that and re-initialize the variable.

I'll have to send an expedition to Jool immediately to investigate this.

Though I have seen that NaN issue around Kerbin but I forget why..... most likely you got an error at some point after which the temperature was NaN. Might mean I have to put a check in for that and re-initialize the variable.

Turns out I have a quicksave right before the aerobrake, so I was able to grab a screen of the exact trajectory for you:

nLvySfL.png

BTSM also modifies DR's config settings, so I'll include those here in case they're relevant as well:

@REENTRY_EFFECTS[Default]:Final
{
@shockwaveMultiplier = 1.0
@shockwaveExponent = 1.09

@heatMultiplier = 25
@temperatureExponent = 1.03
@densityExponent = 0.85
@startThermal = 250
@fullThermal = 1150
@gToleranceMult = 2.5
@parachuteTempMult = 0.5

@crewGClamp = 30
@crewGPower = 4
@crewGMin = 5
@crewGWarn = 300000
@crewGLimit = 600000
@crewGKillChance = 0.75

@ridiculousMaxTemp = 2500
@maxTempScale = 0.5
}

Let me know if there's any other relevant info I can provide. I'll try to reproduce and narrow down what might be causing it.

EDIT: This appears to be the relevant portion of output_log.txt where it occurred:

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: T8 AP07 Jool Orbiter + Low Atmo Probe

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Camera Mode: AUTO

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

[PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: T8 AP07 Jool Orbiter + Low Atmo Probe

dT is NaN! tA: 2.7273878455162, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.82159781455994, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.48077416419983, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.563809633255, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 5.27694606781006, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

dT is NaN! tA: 2.91831557452679, E: 0, M: 0, T: NaN

EDIT 2: And watching the values closely this time, reproduces and seems to go to NaN soon as you hit the outer bound of the atmosphere at 130Km. Will try restarting KSP and reloading the save to see if it reproduces in that case as well.

Edited by FlowerChild

Probably B/W for the off icon (this is going on the in-game toolbar) with color on the on icon to indicate that.... it's on. Ideas: just the name or initials. It could also be a picture of a capsule, with the on icon having flames. (as much as 38x38 allows)

I was going for the minimalistic, pictogram approach. Tell me what do you think of this, first.

DRE_off.png

Off mode.

DRE_on1.png

On mode v1.

DRE_on2.png

On mode v2.

DRE_on3.png

On mode v3.

Obviously, transparency doesn't allow you to see some/all features, so download them before viewing. I hope PNG is ok.

I was going for the minimalistic, pictogram approach. Tell me what do you think of this, first.

http://s27.postimg.org/kc7soyz7j/DRE_off.png

Off mode.

http://s27.postimg.org/4giylo8n3/DRE_on1.png

On mode v1.

http://s27.postimg.org/h6n6yrglb/DRE_on2.png

On mode v2.

http://s27.postimg.org/qtqp8h9kv/DRE_on3.png

On mode v3.

Obviously, transparency doesn't allow you to see some/all features, so download them before viewing. I hope PNG is ok.

I've used png previously for this but I have no image editing capabilities at all right now. I'll probably download the Gimp later but re-learning how to do things is time I don't get to spend coding.

Edit: on1 and on2 look good. Have to try them each individually and see how they look. I'm thinking they might look good canted... maybe 45 degrees or so? Maybe less?

Edited by Starwaster

As a follow up on my previous, tried restarting KSP and going in on the same approach, with the exact same result: Nan soon as I hit the outer edge of the atmosphere.

Then on a hunch that it might have something to do with being on the night side since ambient temperature is now a factor, I restarted KSP again, and changed my trajectory to approach on the day side. Result was once again the same:

vLpL492.png

W94BRKr.png

So unless there's something very particular about my ship, looks like it's just Jool in general that's causing this.

Oh, and since I know from experience that people love to leave this crucial detail out: yes, I'm on 32 bit KSP ;)

I've used png previously for this but I have no image editing capabilities at all right now. I'll probably download the Gimp later but re-learning how to do things is time I don't get to spend coding.

Edit: on1 and on2 look good. Have to try them each individually and see how they look. I'm thinking they might look good canted... maybe 45 degrees or so? Maybe less?

If you download the files on a black desktop, and icon image preview is enabled, you'll see it all.

I'll make 45° versions tomorrow. It's not a problem because I'm using vector graphics.

Suggestion: flip the image, so it looks like a D :)

Yeah, I thought of this :) but then there's no R. Unless... I put it on the capsule? :blush:

I could make the capsule in the form of letter D, or at least use the letter as a heat shield outline.

I'll make several different varieties tomorrow, now it's sleepy time.

Edited by lajoswinkler

And one more piece of info on Jool :)

Reentry visual effects kicked in very briefly at exactly 70Km (I'm sending a probe down into the atmo) before fading out again, so them not appearing may not be related to the NaN thing I'm experiencing (which is still present down at these depths as well).

Are they now tied to the height of Kerbin's atmo or something? The 70Km seemed a little coincidental.

Suggestion: flip the image, so it looks like a D :)
Yeah, I thought of this :) but then there's no R. Unless... I put it on the capsule? :blush:

So much this, but I think the capsule should have RE. Nobody thinks of this mod as DR; they think of it as DRE.

Too bad D's aren't backwards, you could leave it the way it is, have an R on the capsule, and the E could be 3 lines streaking out from the back (well, top) of the capsule implying fast speed.

And one more piece of info on Jool :)

Reentry visual effects kicked in very briefly at exactly 70Km (I'm sending a probe down into the atmo) before fading out again, so them not appearing may not be related to the NaN thing I'm experiencing (which is still present down at these depths as well).

Are they now tied to the height of Kerbin's atmo or something? The 70Km seemed a little coincidental.

No, the visual effects are all down to density and velocity. The 70km probably is just coincidental.....

Let me get a full log from you. output_log.txt (or player.log if you're on a mac/linux)

No, the visual effects are all down to density and velocity. The 70km probably is just coincidental.....

Hmmm...perhaps, but it really just flickered on like a light. There was none of the slow buildup you usually get, they just popped on full force out of nowhere at precisely 70Km.

Might be down to the NaNs messing with things though.

Let me get a full log from you. output_log.txt (or player.log if you're on a mac/linux)

Yup, will do. Give me a few minutes and I'll reproduce it again and post the log.

EDIT:

Sorry man, that file contains way more info about my system than I'm comfortable posting, and after reviewing it I'm fairly certain it doesn't contain any more relevant information than what I've already posted.

Hopefully you have enough info to be able to reproduce it, as to me it really looks like it just comes down to "aerobrake around Jool and get a NaN" :)

If it helps any on the confirmation front, another user reported the exact same thing in my mod thread as well after I posted about it here:

Report post link

Edited by FlowerChild

Hey there! Since Deadly Reentry doesnt run on 64bit for 0.25 and the 64bit is broken, Im currently using DREC v5.3.2 on KSP 0.24.2 64-bit.

Will DREv6.1 work for 24.2 64bit?

I'm currently having the issue where none of the parts besides the actual heatshields are showing to have ablative shielding in its info.

This is a bit of an oddball question. I'm using the latest version of Deadly Reentry and FAR in KSP 0.25 32 bit. Everything's working great, except my capsules all get a rotational torque applied to them about the vertical axis, like a top. Poor Jeb, Bill, and Bob are being spun about like they're on a carnival ride. I suppose I could turn SAS on, but I like to keep that off during reentry to save electricity. Otherwise, I think I'm doing a pretty standard reentry from LKO -- pointed retrograde, and nice and shallow. Any suggestions?

Really does sound like a density problem; I wouldn't be surprised if Jool's temperature curve was nuts.

In fact I recall Ferram having to work around something like that.

It goes below -450C. So it's just a question of whether it's getting to negative density before it hits a divide by zero error. Either one will produce a NaN in a double :/

Probably just grab the density from FlightIntegrator like you said. Or I might just cap the temp

Hmmm...perhaps, but it really just flickered on like a light. There was none of the slow buildup you usually get, they just popped on full force out of nowhere at precisely 70Km.

Might be down to the NaNs messing with things though.

It's probably the negative density as above. Nathan had it calculating density using real life formulae that on hindsight depend on temperature NOT dropping below absolute zero. You can thank Squad for throwing a monkey wrench into THAT idea :P

Sorry man, that file contains way more info about my system than I'm comfortable posting, and after reviewing it I'm fairly certain it doesn't contain any more relevant information than what I've already posted.

Well only the first 40 lines or so. But whatever, as you surmised I can do without it. (in fact, my own log didn't reveal anything because NaN is not technically an error, so you can't even really trap it)

Hey there! Since Deadly Reentry doesnt run on 64bit for 0.25 and the 64bit is broken, Im currently using DREC v5.3.2 on KSP 0.24.2 64-bit.

Will DREv6.1 work for 24.2 64bit?

I'm currently having the issue where none of the parts besides the actual heatshields are showing to have ablative shielding in its info.

6.1 won't function in a 64bit KSP environment even if you could get it to work with 24.2

What issue are your referring to??? Only actual heat shields HAVE ablative shielding. Non-heat shields lack it at all and space plane parts have increased heat reflection to compensate for the lack of ablative. Not having ablative in a non-heat shield is a non issue.

This is a bit of an oddball question. I'm using the latest version of Deadly Reentry and FAR in KSP 0.25 32 bit. Everything's working great, except my capsules all get a rotational torque applied to them about the vertical axis, like a top. Poor Jeb, Bill, and Bob are being spun about like they're on a carnival ride. I suppose I could turn SAS on, but I like to keep that off during reentry to save electricity. Otherwise, I think I'm doing a pretty standard reentry from LKO -- pointed retrograde, and nice and shallow. Any suggestions?

Press Alt+X. You accidentally turned on trim control which is why your pod is rotating. (DREC itself imparts no force at all to anything)

Yup, that's *exactly* the issue Ferram had, and he capped it too. Wish I'd remembered.

That said, I wrote it so density would match FAR density; what would be best is just pulling density from FAR via reflection if FAR is detected, else just pulling from stock code so density matches stock aero density on stock.

The main point is DRE's density should match the density used by the aero model.

It's probably the negative density as above. Nathan had it calculating density using real life formulae that on hindsight depend on temperature NOT dropping below absolute zero. You can thank Squad for throwing a monkey wrench into THAT idea :P

Hehe...yeah, in hindsight I probably should have clued into the fact that the ambient temperature was dropping below absolute zero. Didn't even think of it at the time :)

Thanks a bunch for looking into this guys. Much appreciated.