[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

The RSS config for DRE only makes heat shields last longer in RSS than they do in stock (for the beta's alternate heating model)

It's not possible that the config itself is doing anything that makes things 'explodier'.

Need to know more about the situation or I can't say more about it.

I was using the Outer Planets Mod, on medium, and just tried several reentries with the MK1 pod (from 250km, peri 25, 30, 40, and -20), all of which ended up overheating and burning up around 40km up. I looked at the configs, commented out @ablationMetric line, and the reentry worked fine.

But yeah, maybe I missed something, also now I see there's a new beta out (I last played yesterday), so I'll poke at it later. Also, just with FAR/Outer planets/DR.

Deadly Reentry 6.5.2 Beta release

*Warning messages already existing on-screen are immediately removed when disabled in settings.

*Some difficulty settings fixed.

*Engine maxTemp fixing reinstated. (issue with RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs handled via ModuleManager for now)

*Parachute failure difficulty tweaked.

*Tweaked inflatable shield drag values. Should be less flippier.

Deadly Reentry 6.5.2 Beta release

*WARNING* Deletion or commenting out of configuration file elements is at your own peril.

*Removal of ablationMetric or alteration of same without clear understanding of what it does

*is strongly discouraged. Do not mistake coincidence for causality.

Edit:

Explanation of ablationMetric:

Heat shield ablative material ablation rate is multiplied by ablationMetric before being deducted from the shield. So if the shield would ordinarily be losing ablative material at the rate of 5 every second then an ablationMetric of 0.035 means it instead loses 0.175 every second. If Real Solar System is installed then the metric is 0.0015 so the shield loses 0.0075 every second. (stock RSS Earth reentries or 10x Kerbin reentries take longer to complete so the shield is balanced to last longer. This value may not be the right one for other RSS derived mods, but as you can see, it only makes the shield last longer. It does not make things more likely to burn up.

Edited by Starwaster

Will 64x ever be supported for DR? I know that I can use the unsupported, but that's outdated and I would love for all the bug fixxy goodness on 64x!

If you mean x64, as in 64-bit, DRE is working fine for me in 64-bit KSP on Linux. On Windows, 64-bit KSP is reportedly very unstable to begin with, and adding mods won't make it better - I don't expect many mod developers to want to try to support it in its current condition.

If you mean x64, as in 64-bit, DRE is working fine for me in 64-bit KSP on Linux. On Windows, 64-bit KSP is reportedly very unstable to begin with, and adding mods won't make it better - I don't expect many mod developers to want to try to support it in its current condition.

I never had any problems with the 64x version, but I'm not the only person who plays the game, so I suppose they'd be working for the greater, not the few.

On the subject 64 bit support of DRE, to recap: The KSP 64 bit client (for Windows) isn't even considered to be stable by Squad. If that changes and they are able to put out a 64 bit version they consider stable then modders will feel comfortable supporting 64 bit. That's not really entirely up to Squad either as 64 bit Unity3D itself is at fault from what I understand.

Right. recap out of the way.

This is my position. I've put up unsupported versions of DRE that are not bound by the 64 bit restriction. Feel free to use them but I won't offer support.

But what does THAT really mean?

It means that if you run into a bug while using DRE with the 64 bit KSP client and you want to report the issue then I require that you be able to reproduce the problem with DRE running with the 32 bit KSP client. It's as simple as that. Repro in a supported environment and I'll investigate the issue. But I wont even want to hear about DRE running in 64 bit.

I don't know if this is issue belongs to FAR, Procedural Fairings or DeadlyReentry so please tell me if I should ask it in another thread.

When I load a previously saved ship and start it, my procedural fairings have two info fields for "Temperature" and "Ambient" on right-click.

I also have the feeling that those fairings heat up faster.

I'm sorry to bump this but I think I wasn't clear on my problem.

I know that they should be there but after loading a saved ship I have two of each there.

As in:

Temperature: XX
Ambient: XX

I'm sorry to bump this but I think I wasn't clear on my problem.

I know that they should be there but after loading a saved ship I have two of each there.

As in:

Post your output_log.txt file. (player.log if on Linux or Mac)

Right click and download:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/AltDissipation/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry.cfg

Then copy it to your DeadlyReentry folder, overwriting the existing file.

(anyone else who downloaded the latest beta should grab this too. I'll fix ASAP)

I've got an issue with Tweakable Everything I think. The inflatable heat shield opens itself automatically even if it is in a fairing resulting in a rocket destruction.

It's not an issue with TE, it's an issue with the shield itself and it's triggered by having opened it in the editor (VAB or SPH).

Unfortunately if you've saved that craft then the bug got saved with it so you'll need to remove the shield from the craft and replace it with a fresh one. Don't forget to save. (Don't open the shield in the editor, there's some issue with its animation that confuses the animation module and it doesn't properly save state)

I seem to have a micro-stutter by using FAR & the current official version of DRE, the slight stutter occurs once every 4 seconds.

This issue is observed during atmospheric flight.

I don't know what a micro-stutter is. If it's some kind of actual physical movement like a shudder or something then it's not caused by DRE. DRE doesn't move things at all. If that's not what you meant then please provide a clear description.

P.S. You were right about the bacon.

I don't know what a micro-stutter is. If it's some kind of actual physical movement like a shudder or something then it's not caused by DRE. DRE doesn't move things at all. If that's not what you meant then please provide a clear description.

P.S. You were right about the bacon.

Thanks for your time on the matter. I've seen the microstutter issue reported by a grand total of 2 other persons/posts in this thread, via a forum search yesterday, so it might be an isolated or minor incident caused by well, something. I'm just curious about the issue, since DRE works splendidly in every other fashion.

My computer runs KSP at a reasonably decent framerate, capped at 80 with v-sync on. It's a new lite gaming laptop with 3.1 GHZ i7 processor, nVidia 850M, 8GB RAM and Windows 8.1. No problems at all with KSP @ 1080p unless I run multi-thousand part vehicles.

Last night I installed DRE just before operating a training jet comprised of 28 parts to let a new pilot gain experience in Career mode and noticed that although the frame rates were high, but every 2 to 4 seconds, the game seems to pause for a few tenths of a second. [wikipedia - microstutter]

As I've not had such issues before, so I thought to catalog the issue and see if it appears again in future. The only mods I recently installed over the past two days are DRE (current stable version) and FF. I'll see about removing one or the other fixes the issue and report back if its DRE causing the issue; the current KSP version has been rock solid on FAR and some part mods for quite some time now.

Thanks for the review TP!

Thanks for your time on the matter. I've seen the microstutter issue reported by a grand total of 2 other persons/posts in this thread, via a forum search yesterday, so it might be an isolated or minor incident caused by well, something. I'm just curious about the issue, since DRE works splendidly in every other fashion.

My computer runs KSP at a reasonably decent framerate, capped at 80 with v-sync on. It's a new lite gaming laptop with 3.1 GHZ i7 processor, nVidia 850M, 8GB RAM and Windows 8.1. No problems at all with KSP @ 1080p unless I run multi-thousand part vehicles.

Last night I installed DRE just before operating a training jet comprised of 28 parts to let a new pilot gain experience in Career mode and noticed that although the frame rates were high, but every 2 to 4 seconds, the game seems to pause for a few tenths of a second. [wikipedia - microstutter]

As I've not had such issues before, so I thought to catalog the issue and see if it appears again in future. The only mods I recently installed over the past two days are DRE (current stable version) and FF. I'll see about removing one or the other fixes the issue and report back if its DRE causing the issue; the current KSP version has been rock solid on FAR and some part mods for quite some time now.

If you see it again, save the log for me. If the log is being spammed by errors that could cause issues like that.

ive had that problem with microstudder before but never could fix it. normaly it disapppaered on its own even if i didnt change any files. last time i had it i my test game folder had the microstutter but my play folder for ksp didn even tho they where identical as the play folder was a copy of the test. so only thing i could think of is thats a random unity issue as unity has to many issues on its own lol

well i have to many installs of ksp anyway lol 1 normal play 1 rss then 2 test folders for each.

DRE isn't working for me, I can reenter at any angle and velocity, and nothing will burn up, and the ablative shielding doesn't burn off. I tried deleting it and re-installing but nothing happened, I use FAR, but not RSS.

DRE isn't working for me, I can reenter at any angle and velocity, and nothing will burn up, and the ablative shielding doesn't burn off. I tried deleting it and re-installing but nothing happened, I use FAR, but not RSS.

What version

Are you trying to use the 32 bit version with the 64 bit client? (spoiler: it doesn't work)

what angle

what velocity

(or substitute Ap / Pe for angle if you're not really sure, and that's probably easier anyway)

does 'ablative shielding doesn't burn off' mean that some of it burns off but not all of it or literally none of it.

(no seriously, people make this claim and then I come to discover that it is burning off but just not as much as they think it should)

Post logs

Post custom.cfg if it exists in the DeadlyReentry folder.

Enable debug menu in settings, do a reentry and with the debug menu open, right click your bottom most part (heat shield probably) and take a screenshot. Post that.

32 bit, ap~100 km pe=anything, nothing heats up even if it doesn't have heat shielding, and if it does have ablative heat shielding then absolutely none of it burns off, I am using v6.5.0 of DRE, but this has been going on for a couple versions for me. I even did a reentry directly from the mun and nothing happened. no custom .cfg, where are the logs found, and how do I open the debug menu?

Edited by jab136

32 bit, ap~100 km pe=anything, nothing heats up even if it doesn't have heat shielding, and if it does have ablative heat shielding then absolutely none of it burns off, I am using v6.5.0 of DRE, but this has been going on for a couple versions for me. I even did a reentry directly from the mun and nothing happened. no custom .cfg, where are the logs found, and how do I open the debug menu?

There's an icon in the toolbar that looks like a little space capsule reentering. Click it and part of it turns orange (like capsule with reentry flames)

In-flight there is an option to open debug menu. Click that then right the heat shield and take a screenshot of that. Orient the view so I can see the entire ship so we can see how it's constructed.

This thread shows how to get logs

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229-How-To-Get-Support-%28READ-FIRST%29

Edit:

When you do find the debug menu, look on it for the setting Multiplier. (right after Density Exponent)

Set Multiplier to 5 3

Edited by Starwaster

Anyone ever solved the problem of 6.5 meters inflatable heatshield + FAR/NEAR? Tired of crafts flipping up, even if COM/COL are OK in VAB. Even if I use additional fins on the nose of the craft.
The 6.5.2 beta mentions it, though I haven't tested it to see myself. From the changelog: *Tweaked inflatable shield drag values. Should be less flippier.

with stock KSP (or stock KSP + SDF as a drag solution) I calibrated its maximum_drag values very precisely to provide exactly the right amount of drag.

However, there's not much I can do with FAR/NEAR except to ensure that stock drag values are not tampered with when FAR/NEAR are installed. (previously, inflating the shield would change maximum_drag, which FAR typically zeroes out and AFAIK depends on it staying zero.)

So when either of those two are installed, a MM config removes any modules associated with inflation which affect drag related values. I don't know what else I can do besides that.