[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

I got an asteroid into earth orbit (76kkm AP). Found it there actually. (RSS/RO/RP-0)

Intercepted latched on and then noticed it "Burning" . Was above 400km at the time and PE was not below 400km. Asteroid mass was 195kT.  My probe with a nuke could give it 1dV. /smirk

tCsiYcu.png

Notice small smudge of fire on 'roid.

Not long after my probe suffered RUD. probably not related.

Is there a possibility that the same effect as burning EVA kerbals is going on?  Would more troubleshooting help?

Edited by Bornholio

1 hour ago, Bornholio said:

I got an asteroid into earth orbit (76kkm AP). Found it there actually. (RSS/RO/RP-0)

Intercepted latched on and then noticed it "Burning" . Was above 400km at the time and PE was not below 400km. Asteroid mass was 195kT.  My probe with a nuke could give it 1dV. /smirk

Notice small smudge of fire on 'roid.

Not long after my probe suffered RUD. probably not related.

Is there a possibility that the same effect as burning EVA kerbals is going on?  Would more troubleshooting help?

Test with this dll please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kiug1k6opjvgqv/DeadlyReentry.dll?dl=1

Be warned though that with this build, if your Kerbals overheat you will probably get an error about a missing sound file, or a nullref... I'm not actually sure what the error would be but basically it'll try to play a sound that you don't have yet.

It's on the repository though if you want to grab it and put it in your sounds folder: https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/DeadlyReentry/Sounds/scream.wav

Just click download

29 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Test with this dll please: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kiug1k6opjvgqv/DeadlyReentry.dll?dl=1   Be warned though that with this build, if your Kerbals overheat you will probably get an error about a missing sound file, or a nullref... I'm not actually sure what the error would be but basically it'll try to play a sound that you don't have yet. It's on the repository though if you want to grab it and put it in your sounds folder: https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/DeadlyReentry/Sounds/scream.wav

Should I use this in combination with DeadlyReentry-KerbalEVA.cfg  (Using currently) with V7.5.0 (Via CKAN)

LOL, gruesome screaming burnin' noise.

Edited by Bornholio

Should I use this in combination with DeadlyReentry-KerbalEVA.cfg  (Using currently) with V7.5.0 (Via CKAN)

Ah actually, I have to make a change to that file... give me a couple of minutes then grab the new one. But make sure you re-download the dll because I've rebuilt it again (probably several dozen times actually)

Ok, change made.

The change is that there is now a ModuleKerbalAeroReentry

What that class does is:

• Freezes analytic internal temperature so that Kerbals don't gain excessive amounts of heat from analytic
  • Provides 500 watts of cooling if the Kerbal's internal temperature is over 297.6 K (~76 F)
  • Displays 'health' if the Kerbal is taking internal damage. If the Kerbal is undamaged then the field is not displayed at all.
  • Gradually heals the Kerbal over time IF they are at or below the desired suit temperature of 297.6

The cooling may be nerfed somewhat to make Eve or Moho more dangerous to wander around on. If I do nerf it, it will primarily affect Career mode and the suit will be upgradeable in the R&D Center to allow safe exploration of these hot places.

Analytic handling may be reworked if I can properly get it handle heating / cooling

If it's not immediately obvious, I'm treating the EVA Kerbal's skin properties as being his spacesuit. Internal is the Kerbal proper; his or her body.

2 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Using the earlier provided .dll i checked out the asteroid and a cryocooled methane tanker in orbit.

Well it looks like it's not burning anymore but those are pretty low melting points for an asteroid. Probably it will need some custom work which I think I can work into the next update.

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

Well it looks like it's not burning anymore but those are pretty low melting points for an asteroid. Probably it will need some custom work which I think I can work into the next update.

Stony and Metallic ones probably should be, this is likely a C-group dark carbonaceous objects. Could mean that its melting temp is quite low with lots of volatiles. Likely given that 95% of it can be turned into fuel.

10 minutes ago, Bornholio said:

Stony and Metallic ones probably should be, this is likely a C-group dark carbonaceous objects. Could mean that its melting temp is quite low with lots of volatiles. Likely given that 95% of it can be turned into fuel.

Actually I shouldn't have referred to melting, it wouldn't so much melt as it probably would explode.. I'm not going to bump it up by too much... enough to ensure it is destroyed at an appropriate reentry speed and altitude.

Pre-Release Update for Deadly Reentry version 7.6.0 - The Ariel Edition!

For KSP 1.2.2

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.6.0

Change Log

• Finalized implementation of Max Operational Temp system
  • Implemented 'damage cubes' similar to drag cubes except that hull damage is now directional.
  • If vehicle skin takes enough damage facing its velocity vector then hot reentry gasses can enter the ship and damage internals directly
  • Internal damage handled separately and is not directionally based.
  • Kerbal max temp rebalance finalized. Suits (skin) can withstand up to ~900 K but the Kerbal inside starts taking damage at 317 K
  • EVA Kerbals now have a small amount of cooling. (500 watts but subject to rebalancing)
  • Kerbals scream when on fire.
  • Reinstituted menu setting for turning off crew g-force warning message.
  • Fixed problem with calling part.Modules[*] (replaced with FindModuleImplementing)
Edited by Starwaster

At the same download page for DRE 7.6.0 is a plugin compiled for KSP 1.3.0

IT IS UNTESTED! Should work though. So just install all the 7.6.0 files to your KSP 1.3.0 installation then download file DeadlyReentry_7.6.0_for_KSP_1.3.0.zip, unzip it and install the plugin over the existing DeadlyReentry dll.

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.6.0

Is the 1.3.0 (v7.6.0) a non-backward compatible version?

Testing with previous https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kiug1k6opjvgqv/DeadlyReentry.dll?dl=1   .dll and DRE7.5.0 with Eva fix .cfg

I'll move up to 7.6.0 and test next.

Started a new round of testing after a Tug/Tanker blew up leaving just its command section. F3 said overheat.

Pictures: Exploding fuel tanks. Using cheat to allow overheat to be able to save the craft. 4000+K on fuel tank in earth orbit. Used tracking station to access the ship.

Spoiler

5hrI6Vn.png

Time response afterwards mostly at x1000, later picture showing normal time

Spoiler

5vt2qdb.png8MmKzjm.pnggYyv8uS.png

JmpCswS.png

IWMdq4F.pngpQEI2Ez.pngM4agRuG.png

2dpXbV2.png

Second tanker trying to blow up. Had looked at it earlier without problems other than it was elevated from cryo temps. 

Spoiler

Second tanker trying to blow up.

BnqfaVb.png

gc94adm.png

mjjVV29.png

TUla20m.png

WmBIvRr.png

Edited by Bornholio

Is the 1.3.0 (v7.6.0) a non-backward compatible version?

Testing with previous https://www.dropbox.com/s/2kiug1k6opjvgqv/DeadlyReentry.dll?dl=1   .dll and DRE7.5.0 with Eva fix .cfg

There are TWO builds of 7.6.0 - one for KSP 1.2.2 and one for KSP 1.3.0

Just use the correct build for your version of KSP.

IRVE Testing: @Starwaster

r34IYx9.png

Spoiler

140km Just at interface

7lfUPfc.png

55km Peak Heating

4BUi784.png

50km Peak Temperature

VSkz1uf.png

45km

SBjVeCu.png

daNRCeo.png

Terminal Velocity at impact was ~60m/s, Shield does not work very well as a bouncy house :P.

RV Package 280kg used water tank for ballast, Mechjeb case with SAS to align it in space, used Smart A.S.S to align 5deg angle on reentry.

rfqBZx8.png

Peaks, 20.4G, 3.3w/cm2, 797K skin

Edited by Bornholio

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Using 7.6.0 for 1.3, there is no DRE button anywhere, neither in SPC nor in VAB nor in flight (stock or toolbar) .

I'm seeing it in my 1.2.2 version. 

Log looks like it is loading it.  [LOG 19:23:40.454] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'DRToolbar' from assembly 'DeadlyReentry'  should be toolbar loading. [LOG 19:23:40.210] [DeadlyReentry.DRToolBar] OnDestroy() called - destroying button  and unloading it correctly.

You may want to delete the DRE folder and reinstall from Github.  https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.6.0  Make sure you don't what I did and have DRE configs in the wrong places. /smirk

Oh are you installing v7.6.0 then adding the v7.6.0 KSP1.3.0 .dll to it?

Edited by Bornholio
add note

@Starwaster 150M of screenshots doubtful you want to go through but I'm tossing them up https://www.dropbox.com/s/jaxw98x3w2acwl5/Mars HIAD and IRVE3 Pics.zip?dl=1

Mars HIAD 16m shield is easily good for a 7000m/s direct Mars Landing with a 45ton lander.  All tests aimed at equator approach from 0 inclination, started at SOI boundary with 5450m/s Velocity, dropped PE into listed value.

Run Three, -1000km PE, 7km/s, Direct (Pancake)

• peak heating 12.8w/cm2@60km,
  • peak temp 1673K@27km
  • Resulted in Heatshield Internal temp over 1731K/1073K, G Force kill, Aero Failure, Collisions

Run Four, -38km PE, 7km/s, Direct

• peak heating 12.64w/cm2@82km,
  • peak temp 1673K@27km
  • Resulted in Collision with ground 490m/s

Run One, 40km PE,  7km/s, Direct

• peak heating 12.6w/cm2@83km,
  • peak temp 1276K@47km
  • Resulted in Collision with ground 500+m/s

Run Five, 45km PE,  7km/s, Direct (Aeroskip, minor @44km up to 45km)

• peak heating 12.55w/cm2@84km,
  • peak temp 1241K@53km
  • Resulted in Collision with ground 500+m/s

Run Six, 47.5km PE,  7km/s, Direct (Aeroskip, @46km up to 72km)

• peak heating 12.55w/cm2@84km,
  • peak temp 1230K@62km
  • Resulted in released aero at 72km skip, 2800m/s

Run Seven, 49km PE,  7km/s, Aerocapture

• peak heating 12.53w/cm2@84km,
  • peak temp 1236K@56km
  • Resulted in 2169x34km orbit, 3600m/s at interface

Run two, 50km PE, 7km/s, Aerocapture

• Peak heating at 12.55@84km,
  • Peak temp 1359K@36km
  • Resulted in 7960x35km orbit
  • Second descent 3.32W/cm2 peak heating, 704K Peak Temp @45km