[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Yeah its a complete headscratcher how telemachus was tossing the CoM off then made FAR go nuts and make the plane almost uncontrollible which then fed into DRE panic attacking and thinking the G forces got to high so ya for mod dominoes. Least this problem is solved and I now know why I nearly loss my Minmus Pod when it suddenly wanted to go sideways during reentry and flat refused to obey any commands I gave it.

If you guys want some heat shields I have these two from old mods long ago, I can't remember name. I kept the heat shields in them because they were the best designs that I saw. I've been maintaining them every since for my own personal use and want to share them. I don't really know if these Heat shields models are still around. It was originally for the mk1pod, I liked it so much I resized it and did some tweaks and make one for the mk1-2pod.

I don't like the heat shields including in Deadly Reentry too much. I usually take all but the 2.5 Heat shield and add the ones I have in.

Feel free to have them NathanKell and add them to your Deadly Reentry pack, if you like.

Here is the Heat Shields for Deadly:

http://www./download/skyrc4li3baibk4/Heat_Shield_for_Deadly_Reentry.rar

And here is for Stock:

http://www./download/c9a24l07u0qwoog/Heat_Shield_for_Stock.rar

I tweaked with settings a little. The drag with the heat shield for the mk1-2 pod with FAR and Deadly reentry helps slow it down some to allow for a good parachute height. I had problems with other heat shields that I used and my pod would still come in too fast and not have to to open chute before the pod crashed.

The Heat Shields don't decoupler, never saw the use in that. So you have to use a decoupler to decouple. The small Heat Shield is unlock in Tech Basic Rocketry and Large is unlocked in same tech tree as Mk1-2pod, specialized control systems.

The stock ones work well for stock game.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii605/therealcrow999/HeatShield_zpsaefb3a02.png

I hope you guys like them as much as I did.

Edited by therealcrow999

okies, silly question i'm sure, but if I want to bring a lander back from the Mun, how do I do that. The legs keep burning off. Is there any good way to protect them when they are not deployed? I'm also having a little trouble with radially attached bits (science equip) burning off.

Alternately, is there a better way of plotting a good re-entry?

okies, silly question i'm sure, but if I want to bring a lander back from the Mun, how do I do that. The legs keep burning off. Is there any good way to protect them when they are not deployed? I'm also having a little trouble with radially attached bits (science equip) burning off.

How steep is your reentry? Sounds like your coming in stock style with a very steep reentry which will not work with DRE. When your on your return aim for the upper parts of the atmosphere and if needed do several aerobrake passes ( I normally do my aerobraking between 38-45km lower if I came with enough fuel/sepatrons for powered braking) and come in on a very shallow -2/-10 degree reentry engine first and assuming your not coming in way to fast let the atmosphere do most of your braking for you. Its not uncommon for me to return from Minus at 3km/s and land on the very first pass by using the atmosphere as the brake while not impacting on the stratosphere ( which starts around 32km) to fast or to steep.

If this didn't help out next return I have from another body i'll try to fraps it to give you a visual of what I'm talking about.

Landers are usually not designed to survive reentry. It's pretty hard to get a lander back whole. The way I usually do it is to decouple the crew/science compartment equipped with a heatshield from the rest of the craft. I then let the rest burn up. You can also use this mod to transfer all your data to a part that's designed to survive reentry (Useful for apollo style missions).

As for plotting a good reentry, going for a Pe of about 10 to 15 km usually works fine for me. Though it depends on my velocity, higher the velocity the higher I place the Pe.

therealcrow999, those look cool! One problem: unless you can find the old mod's license, and show it allows importation and redistribution (and no license = all rights reserved...), I can't include them.

rosenkranz: Kallista has it, but one other point. Deadly Reentry makes reentry...deadly. That means that you often will need a heatshield to be in front of any components you don't want to burn up. If your landing gear and science instruments are in the flow of hot air, then they _will_ burn. You need to either jettision your landing module and just reenter with a shielded capsule (like Apollo) or use a heatshield large enough to block the flow of air so your gear don't heat up, or somehow reduce your reentry velocity (by propulsive braking, or by many very shallow aerobraking passes to lower your apo before going in for a final reentry).

therealcrow999, those look cool! One problem: unless you can find the old mod's license, and show it allows importation and redistribution (and no license = all rights reserved...), I can't include them.

rosenkranz: Kallista has it, but one other point. Deadly Reentry makes reentry...deadly. That means that you often will need a heatshield to be in front of any components you don't want to burn up. If your landing gear and science instruments are in the flow of hot air, then they _will_ burn. You need to either jettision your landing module and just reenter with a shielded capsule (like Apollo) or use a heatshield large enough to block the flow of air so your gear don't heat up, or somehow reduce your reentry velocity (by propulsive braking, or by many very shallow aerobraking passes to lower your apo before going in for a final reentry).

Lol, I don't have the mod. I will look around for the author info and see if I can track it down. The original guys were PakledHostage | Dani-Sang. Dani-Sang had a Japanese themed mod pack. Most parts were yellowish-orange and the main command pod was a sphere. I will look in old post, I lost heatshields once and I posted I was looking for them. Someone had the mod and posted it for me.

I didn't yet test the new version, but maybe what I so far used with the old version helps:

I have a design for a lander to return science stuff from the moon with a small capsule with two radial parachutes. Below that is a small material science lab, with a girder mounted below. I attach the legs to the girder so that they deploy below and outward past the small heat shield at the end of the girder. There are two goo containers on it pointing inwards into the girder. (No part clipping cheat, I just turn them around in the VAB.) I only tested it in Kerbin orbit, but I plan to radially mount two small tanks to the girder that will be dropped before reentry. They will feed a small engine below the heat shield that I don't expect to survive reentry.

The hard part was to balance it out for reentry with FAR so that in reenters heat shield forward. It tends to switch around just below mach 6 just after the heat drops, and the radial acceleration nearly tears it apart.

SDrEWya.png

Yes this is it :

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/21050-0-17-Re-entry-Heat-Module-and-Mk-1-Pod-Heat-Shields

I still use his 2 heatshield part as well, simply loving them.

Edit: Also I miss his reentry window which showed us an estimation of reentry angle & speed while burning prograde.

That's not mod I was thinking of. Those heat shields weren't in there, at least I don't think so, lol.

I loved that mod, it was better then stock reentry. Reentry effects happened a little higher up, right when you first hit the first layer of atmospheres, like it should. KSP seem to be a shallow effect. I also do like the HUD.

If I might make a suggestion, Looking back on the old Reentry heat mod, the 2 features I miss most are the entry angle indicator and the Heatshield integrity bar on the sidebar. Now of those 2 I think having an integrity bar that appears next to the heatshield when it's temperature reaches ablative levels and gives an eyeball's guide to how much heatshield you have left would certainly be very convinient. Also if there was a way to check your entry angle like later versions of the reentry mod had it would add a nice tool to aid in plotting (un)survivable entry angles and speeds.

Um, you can right-click on the heatshield? Or do you mean something more than that?

For entry angle, if you open the landing guidance window in MechJeb and turn on predicted landing, it will show you your estimated max Gs. That'll be correct for stock KSP, but I assume that my users will be using FAR (as they should), in which case...it's really, really hard to calculate. But MJ's value is usually not _that_ far off, I've found. (Check out the answers on the FAR thread whenever someone asks about an aerobraking calculator...which this would be. :( )

I'm thinking of something a bit more like how fuel shows up on the left hand staging sequence to give you a rough idea how much fuel you have left, only with Ablative materials and only appearing when the heatshield reaches temperatures that wear out ablative materials (and likewise disappearing soon after the heatshield cools down to the point that ablation stops happening.)

Then again, it is a small detail and considering how you seem to be managing just about all the mods now I won't hate you if you decide that it is a bit on the fluff side to bother.

Well, not gonna lie, it'll be low on my list. ;)

But since ialdabaoth already wrote the code for something similar for modular fuels, I could see about adding the gauge at some point. The issue is, as stupid_chris relates, it's a bit of a chore to add a custom staging icon.

Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but somehow the combination of FAR + DRE seems incredibly easy. My first thought was that I am imagining things because I grew accustomed to shallow angles of reentry but than I did some testing. For most of my landers i do not need any shielding. I do not remember that DRE and FAR were so forgiving did something change since .21? So my question is, what settings would be recommended for FAR+DRE combo to force me use shields or wings (for atmo bouncing) or do retro-burns for slower descent as I do not think is realistic to be able to survive reentry with unshielded landers (using the 1.25 lander can not pod) and all the small gizmos exposed. Only parachutes seem to need protection from direct exposure.

TLDR:FAR+DRE feels too easy, could anyone recommend good settings for that combo?

Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but somehow the combination of FAR + DRE seems incredibly easy. My first thought was that I am imagining things because I grew accustomed to shallow angles of reentry but than I did some testing. For most of my landers i do not need any shielding. I do not remember that DRE and FAR were so forgiving did something change since .21? So my question is, what settings would be recommended for FAR+DRE combo to force me use shields or wings (for atmo bouncing) or do retro-burns for slower descent as I do not think is realistic to be able to survive reentry with unshielded landers (using the 1.25 lander can not pod) and all the small gizmos exposed. Only parachutes seem to need protection from direct exposure.

TLDR:FAR+DRE feels too easy, could anyone recommend good settings for that combo?

FAR+DRE doesn't make reentry to easy there just comes a point where you get so use to reentering properly and designing your craft that the shielded/engine end naturally wants to go first that you stop giving reentry a second thought. However early on in the tech tree before you have access to batteries and solar panels is when I have a harder time ( mostly due to ioncross sucking up what little power I have ontop of me adding power drain to the pods itself to simulate the electronics in it running). Getting complacent with your design or reentry angle with FAR+DRE and it will quickly remind you reentry is infact still deadly.

The thing is that in .22 I never used any heatshield and when I unlocked the lander can( which should not be capable to withstand reentry), I only used that and never had any problem with heat, and IMO that should not be possible. and yea I know i could increase heatMultiplier, any advice about a good number.

Hack i even did some scary aerobraking, coming into(engines first) high atmo at 4km/s it was all bright and fiery but no part got destroyed and i am quite sure that there were parts exposed to heat beside the engines.

And yes i am sure my DRE installation is actually working, as if i do a totally absurd reentry everything still goes boom not only from g forces but heat also

It's incredibly easy because the reentry heating for Kerbin is roughly 1/4 Earth's.

Even if you increased the multiplier, you still wouldn't be changing the shockwave temperature, just how fast your part heats up to that temperature.

I can add a global multiplier, I guess? Maybe an exponent of ~ 1.15, that should yield roughly Earth level shockwave temperatures at reentry velocity while only increasing Mach 1 temps by about 100C

Yea something needs to be done. I plunged a probe into kerbin at high speed and it got through unscathed. Effectively the mod isn't doing anything. Ideally, even if you have a heat shield you should still burn up if you come in too aggressively.

What part of the DRE config do you have to change to decrease/increase heat generated by atmospheric drag? I am using the planet rescaler add-on so temperatures during reentry from a very low orbit around kerbin is enough to destroy the ship within seconds after the reentry effects kick in even with heat shields.

Altho i might install the rescaled kerbin in near future, it would be nice to have just rescaled heat shock wave(or does the heatMultiplier already do that?), as the whole kerbin rescaled means also bigger lifters, which atm I am not really comfortable with (ksp does not handle them well). I know I can make it manageable with some other mods but since this is a separate mod, it would be nice to be able to tweak that.

It's called "install rescaled Kerbin" :)

Then you do your reentries like a _real_ rocketeer, coming in at 80 football fields a second.

I'll point out this has the caveat that you better be playing with Sandbox mode because this mod does not like the sort of reentries that one gets from their constant, failed orbital attempts in career mode.

(I mean I doubled the g-force limits to try to help deal with that and even then it's still a 50/50 shot of whether a kerbal dies depending on how close I got to orbit. Hard mode be hard. :P)