[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

For some reason when I reenter kerbin atmosphere, I get the reentry effect flickering between the fire one and the wind resistance one, instead of switching over from one to the other depending on speed. Is this a bug with KSP, DeadlyReentry, or has this been done on purpose? If so how do I fix/change it?

ToyToy: sounds like you didn't install it right. Follow the exact installation instructions as provided in the op.

(That happens when you, for example, change the name of the DRE folder/install it to a different location)

Sokar408, what other mods do you have installed?

Oh dear... A lot xD. Beyond UI mods:

KerbalJointReinforment

Kethane

Ferram

RemoteTech2

B9

KW

KAS

KSP Interstellar

MagicSmokeIndustries

Kerbal Engineer

I think thats it. I haven't had a problem running these mods together before, including DeadlyReentry which is why I'm so dumbfounded

ToyToy: sounds like you didn't install it right. Follow the exact installation instructions as provided in the op.

(That happens when you, for example, change the name of the DRE folder/install it to a different location)

Thanks a lot for the help, it solved my problem !

I was using a bad folder name indeed.

I can enter the atmosphere strong angle again and again now ! :D

Nathan I had a SM survive reentry while coming from the moon. I burned all my fuel before reentering but my velocity was still like 7500 m/s! the UP decoupler was pointed prograde and the max temp it reached was like 1170.

Because pic:

this is the SM

6cDdjgvl.png

Edited by AbeS

Love this mod to bits, wouldn't play without it.

I have a question hopefully someone here can answer.

I sent a probe down to the sun and got within 1,000,000m I was half expecting the probe to burn up but there were no heat effects as far as I could tell

So my question is, does the sun have deadly reentry values applies and if not, is there any plans to implement that?

I sent a probe down to the sun and got within 1,000,000m I was half expecting the probe to burn up but there were no heat effects as far as I could tell

So my question is, does the sun have deadly reentry values applies and if not, is there any plans to implement that?

The Sun doesn't have atmosphere actually, so the only thing that will make your vessel burn up is the high temperature when getting closer to it. There's no "re-entry" happening here.

Coincidentally I did the same thing a couple of days ago. I brought it down to 10,000 at first, and was quite disappointed that I'd pushed that big heatshield all the way to the Sun with Ion engines for the sake of 15 degrees celsius. The next orbit around I purposefully crashed into the Sun, and the 'stock' overheating just completely obliterated the craft in 1 second at 1,000m as usual, despite the temperature never 'really' going above 15 degrees. Quite disappointing.

I would love to see proper massive heating coming from the Sun in DR. I know it's about atmospheric heating, but I think it should fit within the scope of the project. Even if it was just that the craft started to burn up before the 1,000m 'surface' explosion.

2knHz2B.jpg

Has anyone figured out a good procedure for a lifting entry with a capsule? (Apollo CM or Soyuz SA style).

I've gotten pretty great at pure ballistic reentry, but I'd like to try and minimize Gs and and have some cross/downrange capability.

My usually peak G load is somewhere between 7-9, sometimes a little higher, never lower. This is what you'd expect for a pure ballistic reentry, and my heat management is not a problem.

AFAIK, the only way to do is is to offset the capsule's CoM, and add RCS transforms for control but I'm not sure how to do either of those things.

Ideally, I'd like to achieve realistic G loads, so 4-5 for LKO return, and 7 for Munar return.

Has anyone figured out a good procedure for a lifting entry with a capsule? (Apollo CM or Soyuz SA style).

I've gotten pretty great at pure ballistic reentry, but I'd like to try and minimize Gs and and have some cross/downrange capability.

My usually peak G load is somewhere between 7-9, sometimes a little higher, never lower. This is what you'd expect for a pure ballistic reentry, and my heat management is not a problem.

AFAIK, the only way to do is is to offset the capsule's CoM, and add RCS transforms for control but I'm not sure how to do either of those things.

Ideally, I'd like to achieve realistic G loads, so 4-5 for LKO return, and 7 for Munar return.

I simply pitch the pod by 10~15 degrees and that can generate some lift, though not big enough to raise the vertical velocity to >0 state, but it can extend the period of re-entry, thus lowering the peak G load and temperature afterwards.

I simply pitch the pod by 10~15 degrees and that can generate some lift, though not big enough to raise the vertical velocity to >0 state, but it can extend the period of re-entry, thus lowering the peak G load and temperature afterwards.

That's what I'm trying to do, but without an offset CoM, the capsule orients itself with 0 AoA, and since Pods have no RCS, I lose attitude control once I jettison my Service module.

So how do I, or rather, can I even, add RCS transforms, and add a CoM offset?

That's what I'm trying to do, but without an offset CoM, the capsule orients itself with 0 AoA, and since Pods have no RCS, I lose attitude control once I jettison my Service module.

So how do I, or rather, can I even, add RCS transforms, and add a CoM offset?

Yes, you can add transforms. If you have the Unity package and the KSP Part Tools you can add transforms even if you don't have access to an editable model.

Just add the transforms to a game object with no mesh and export it to the folder of the part you want to add to.

Then use a MODEL{} node to add the (meshless) model that you just exported. (if the part you're adding to doesn't already have a MODEL{} node for its mesh, that is if it says 'mesh = model' then you might need to convert that to MODEL{} or else bad things might happen)

(without the original model, you're left with guessing as to where the transforms actually need to sit, but this system DOES work)

Jemtan123, Boomerang: are you playing career or sandbox? Did you install _exactly_ as specified in the readme, not changing directory names or anything?

The 2.5m shield has an mbm rather than PNGs because...that's the way nhnifong decided to export textures. And it does not have duplicate top and bottom nodes, it has a pair commented out as well as the actual pair.

Given that it is the only shield that uses a MODEL node, it will be the only shield affected by your not installing DRE in the right folder. So that's my guess as to what's going on: you renamed the DRE folder you extracted, or placed it inside another folder, or used that part sorting app that changes folder names, or something.

Turns out I did indeed install incorrectly, after I misread the readme. My fault! Thank you for the troubleshooting. :)

Add one of these blocks for each wing part's name into a new cfg file.

@PART[DYJwingwhatever]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 0 // full-surface coating
reflective = 0.1
}
}

Change the number after reflective to taste. You might need to go up to 0.5 or so.

How can I add FAR and Heatshields to other pods like the FASA pods etc?

For a nonablative heatshield can just do what Nathan posted. Ablative is it bit more complicated but will look something like what is posted below and you just need to tweak the values to what you want. Here's an example (set for RSS):

@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod
reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle
ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)
key = 650 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C
key = 2000 160 // peak ablation at 2000 degrees C
key = 5000 200 // max ablation at 5000 degrees C
}
dissipation
{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature
key = 300 0 // begin ablating at 300 degrees C
key = 800 480 // maximum dissipation at 800 degrees C
}
}

RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 250
maxAmount = 250
}

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think you can or have to add FAR to pods. As long as they don't have nodes tacked onto the sides then they should be good to go.

Also, if you're looking for heatshields for FASA, Nathan posted a Realism Overhaul cfg of FASA in the second post of this thread. You can look through that to see what he did.

Edited by Scripto23