[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Add one of these blocks for each wing part's name into a new cfg file.

@PART[DYJwingwhatever]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 0 // full-surface coating
reflective = 0.1
}
}

Change the number after reflective to taste. You might need to go up to 0.5 or so.

There doesn't seem to be that sort of naming consistency to Procedural Wings parts.... most, but not all the part names have "Procedural" in them somewhere, except one control surface. The all have the WingManipulator module, so a tweak to the above could be:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[WingManipulator]]
{
@maxTemp = 1700
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 0 // full-surface coating
reflective = 0.1
}
}

Thanks for the quick response.

Let's say I make the AblativeShielding amount really small. Will the pod burn up after the shield runs out?

Also does the @ symbol make that value supersede the the default value?

Yes, it will burn up rather quickly when the ablative resource runs out.

Both "@" and "%" will supercede the original.

The @ symbol will edit what is there, changing it to a new value.

The % symbol will edit the value/node if it is present and add it if it's not.

Thanks for the quick response.

Let's say I make the AblativeShielding amount really small. Will the pod burn up after the shield runs out?

Also does the @ symbol make that value supersede the the default value?

Yes, it will burn up rather quickly when the ablative resource runs out.

Both "@" and "%" will supercede the original.

The @ symbol will edit what is there, changing it to a new value.

The % symbol will edit the value/node if it is present and add it if it's not.

Well, not necessarily. Remember that the shield still continues to reflect a certain amount of heat regardless of whether there is ablative material left or not. I have run out more than a few times but my velocity had slowed enough that either I was ok if I kept the shield pointing prograde or I had JUST exited the danger zone when I ran out. (even so though, if you're actually at the point where the shield is still ablating then you can imagine it's still cutting it close. I imagine the interior was a bit toasty for the Kerbals. Jeb couldn't care any less but Bill and Bob panic a little easier)

I took a peek around this thread and didn't see anything definitive. So, quick question:

Let's say you build a very large rocket in RSS. Say, 13000T and 132 MN. And let's say that, within 10 seconds of launch, even though you haven't cleared the tower, all your poor kerbalnauts die of G-force damage. And poking around the log it has this line:

"DRE* [1774.08]: Saturn mockup C - Bill Kerman died of G-force damage.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

[00:00:10]: Bill Kerman was killed."

Rest of the file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g41plp8ydmjd2j/output_log.txt

How might one fix this? This problem has cropped up at many different stages of flight, and since DRE rescales G force damage, that's the best place to start looking.

I took a peek around this thread and didn't see anything definitive. So, quick question:

Let's say you build a very large rocket in RSS. Say, 13000T and 132 MN. And let's say that, within 10 seconds of launch, even though you haven't cleared the tower, all your poor kerbalnauts die of G-force damage. And poking around the log it has this line:

"DRE* [1774.08]: Saturn mockup C - Bill Kerman died of G-force damage.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

[00:00:10]: Bill Kerman was killed."

Rest of the file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8g41plp8ydmjd2j/output_log.txt

How might one fix this? This problem has cropped up at many different stages of flight, and since DRE rescales G force damage, that's the best place to start looking.

What's your TWR???

What's your TWR???

Very low--only 1.0, which is 0.88 on the launchpad. Still clears the tower though. It was supposed to be 1.2, but I guess tank values weren't calculated correctly by KER. The highest designed TWR I've used for RSS is 1.4.

Very low--only 1.0, which is 0.88 on the launchpad. Still clears the tower though. It was supposed to be 1.2, but I guess tank values weren't calculated correctly by KER. The highest designed TWR I've used for RSS is 1.4.

I'm confused as to how you're lifting even 1mm off the pad at 0.88.

Let alone generating enough Gs to harm one hair on your Kerbal's heads.

In short.... I got nothing.

There is the potential that Verticle G's aren't killing your crew but lateral ones. Is your rocket excessively wobbly? If so that might be the issue, also be sure you change the values in the debug menu to those for RSS, (Found elsewhere in this thread, I suggest using the thread search function)

There is the potential that Verticle G's aren't killing your crew but lateral ones. Is your rocket excessively wobbly? If so that might be the issue, also be sure you change the values in the debug menu to those for RSS, (Found elsewhere in this thread, I suggest using the thread search function)

I've heard the lateral G force thing too, but it only registers at 6.1 Gs. That's the max, when they die it's more like 2.5 Gs. You hear the "g force groaning" ramp up tempo really quickly, then they die as G force is falling. It screams "calibration" in the code. I don't suppose the debug menu fix will affect the anything more than the reporting, will it?

Ninja edit: "RSS" is too short to search, and config doesn't pull up anything specific to RSS and DRE either. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Edited by birrhan

I think engines should be re-balanced so they don't work as heatshields... pretty unrealistic if you ask me... the nozzle and burn chamber itself might be built to withstand high temperatures, but certainly not everything around.

mic_e: Maybe, but one thing to remember is the engines do a tolerable job of getting the hot shock-wave away from everything else. Also, I've overheated engines coming in from Minmus (stock Kerbin), so they're not all that effective.

Any Ideas why my shockwave multiplier would be setting itself to zero at every launch? I can set it in the debug menu and everything works fine but once I launch again goes down to zero and I get no heating unless I manually set it in debug again.

EDIT: Reinstalled DRE and now it's setting it to 1 on each load but it's supposed to be 1.09 according to the configs.

Edited by pokeman

OK so I just installed DREC 4.3, loaded up my SSTO, took off, and my crew died passing mach 1 at about 10,000m. Tried to research the problem and read about cumulative g-loads and such, so I tried a few more times. Each time my crew dies from 'exceeding G-force limit' and I NEVER go over 2Gs! In fact as far as I can tell my g-meter stays between 1 and 1.5 the whole flight. It's a big heavy craft so I'm not even accelerating that quickly. What am I doing wrong? Searched for quite awhile but couldn't find an answer to my problem so forgive me if it's been posted elsewhere.

Installed mods (main ones that apply to this craft anyways) are DREC, FAR, KW, B9, procedural wings, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, mechjeb

I think engines should be re-balanced so they don't work as heatshields... pretty unrealistic if you ask me... the nozzle and burn chamber itself might be built to withstand high temperatures, but certainly not everything around.

I think they can endure high temperature when they are running just because there're (relative) cold fuel flow around/in them. And they themselves cannot bear that kind of temperature by their own, or at least they should be similar to ablative shields too, i.e. they can withstand for some period of time but after the ablative resource exhausts, the engine's temperature will quickly rise and then explode.

Edited by HoneyFox

I think they can endure high temperature when they are running just because there're (relative) cold fuel flow around/in them. And they themselves cannot bear that kind of temperature by their own, or at least they should be similar to ablative shields too, i.e. they can withstand for some period of time but after the ablative resource exhausts, the engine's temperature will quickly rise and then explode.

Reminds me of the story of John Glenn's reentry. They had (what turned out to be erroneous) reading on the ground that his heat shield had separated from the capsule. So the decision was made not to jettison the strap-on engine.The way he related it, nobody told him of that decision. His first time learning about it was when he saw parts of his red hot engine streaking past the window and thought his heat shield was disintegrating.... Apparently they didn't tell him because they didnt want him to worry. OOPS....

OK so I just installed DREC 4.3, loaded up my SSTO, took off, and my crew died passing mach 1 at about 10,000m. Tried to research the problem and read about cumulative g-loads and such, so I tried a few more times. Each time my crew dies from 'exceeding G-force limit' and I NEVER go over 2Gs! In fact as far as I can tell my g-meter stays between 1 and 1.5 the whole flight. It's a big heavy craft so I'm not even accelerating that quickly. What am I doing wrong? Searched for quite awhile but couldn't find an answer to my problem so forgive me if it's been posted elsewhere.

Installed mods (main ones that apply to this craft anyways) are DREC, FAR, KW, B9, procedural wings, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, mechjeb

OK update tried and checked a couple more things. Checked flight recorder and it said my max G encountered was 3.8, which is still really low. Played with the settings of DREC using alt-D-R and changed my settings to this: @REENTRY_EFFECTS[Default]:Final

@shockwaveExponent = 1

@shockwaveMultiplier = 1

@heatMultiplier = 25

@startThermal = 750

@fullThermal = 1150

@temperatureExponent = 1.03

@densityExponent = 0.85

@gToleranceMult = 4

@crewGClamp = 35

@crewGPower = 4

@crewGMin = 5

@crewGWarn = 400000

@crewGLimit = 8000000

@crewGKillChance = 0.75

and my crew was STILL killed by exceeding G-force limits around mach 2.5 and 20,000m. What the heck is going on?

OK update tried and checked a couple more things. Checked flight recorder and it said my max G encountered was 3.8, which is still really low. Played with the settings of DREC using alt-D-R and changed my settings to this: @REENTRY_EFFECTS[Default]:Final

@shockwaveExponent = 1

@shockwaveMultiplier = 1

@heatMultiplier = 25

@startThermal = 750

@fullThermal = 1150

@temperatureExponent = 1.03

@densityExponent = 0.85

@gToleranceMult = 4

@crewGClamp = 35

@crewGPower = 4

@crewGMin = 5

@crewGWarn = 400000

@crewGLimit = 8000000

@crewGKillChance = 0.75

and my crew was STILL killed by exceeding G-force limits around mach 2.5 and 20,000m. What the heck is going on?

Uhm wow no idea here... Question though. What did you do to verify that the crew was truly dead and that the death message was not in error? Could maybe change death chance to 0.0

Also post your craft please so I can try to repro?

(Reason I ask if the message could be wrong is because I once was informed that a Kerbal on EVA in orbit died of G force excess when he was sitting right in front of me responding to commands. Never happened since and I cannot repro)

Uhm wow no idea here... Question though. What did you do to verify that the crew was truly dead and that the death message was not in error? Could maybe change death chance to 0.0

Also post your craft please so I can try to repro?

(Reason I ask if the message could be wrong is because I once was informed that a Kerbal on EVA in orbit died of G force excess when he was sitting right in front of me responding to commands. Never happened since and I cannot repro)

Nope they died, pretty sure of it - they disappeared from the bottom corner of my screen.

Forgive my ignorance but how do I post my craft? I know where to find the file just wondering how to attach it to my post. I'm assuming there is a preferred site to upload the file to and link to that?

Nope they died, pretty sure of it - they disappeared from the bottom corner of my screen.

Forgive my ignorance but how do I post my craft? I know where to find the file just wondering how to attach it to my post. I'm assuming there is a preferred site to upload the file to and link to that?

I use www.dropbox.com these days for almost anything that isn't an image... and sometimes even then. (if you do a non-KSP screenshot, i.e. ctrl+printscreen it will automagically copy it to your dropbox folder. Usually for images though I use www.imgur.com)

Edited by Starwaster

First, let me thank you for great mod. But I would also like to know if someone could help me out. I have also installed Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System and Deadly Reentry conflicts with the shuttle mod somehow as flying shuttle with Deadly Reentry installed makes shuttle heavy and unresponsive. I would greatly appreciate information whether this two mods could be made compatible or what should i change in the files to make it so.