[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Does the debug menu display default settings for the current setting or will it display what is actually in the associated config file for that mode? The reason I ask is if I change the default config to 1.10 and 2.0 heat mult the debug menu when opened does not reflect the changes.

Does the debug menu display default settings for the current setting or will it display what is actually in the associated config file for that mode? The reason I ask is if I change the default config to 1.10 and 2.0 heat mult the debug menu when opened does not reflect the changes.

If you have ever once saved from the debug menu, a file named custom.cfg is created that has all settings for Easy, Default (called Normal in the difficulty menu) and Hard. The contents of that file override the three base files EasySettings.cfg, DefaultSettings.cfg and HardSettings.cfg

So if you saved, then go and exist any of the three base files then your changes are being overridden by custom.cfg. That's by design as I didn't intend for the base files to be edited. You could still do it that way but you would have to delete custom.cfg first. Personally I think you're better off editing custom.cfg or using the in-game debug menu and then clicking save.

I would also like to be able to turn this off, please.

Another here. Having the message onscreen throughout launch is especially irritating.

I know that you got plenty of complaints about parachute failure, but really: anyone who pops a chute while supersonic deserves to have an educational lithobrake.

If you have ever once saved from the debug menu, a file named custom.cfg is created that has all settings for Easy, Default (called Normal in the difficulty menu) and Hard. The contents of that file override the three base files EasySettings.cfg, DefaultSettings.cfg and HardSettings.cfg

So if you saved, then go and exist any of the three base files then your changes are being overridden by custom.cfg. That's by design as I didn't intend for the base files to be edited. You could still do it that way but you would have to delete custom.cfg first. Personally I think you're better off editing custom.cfg or using the in-game debug menu and then clicking save.

I think I'll follow your recommendation then, thanks.

anyone who pops a chute while supersonic deserves to have an educational lithobrake.

I'll second (or third) a request for such an option, with the modification to your statement:

Anyone who should know better and pops a chute while supersonic deserves to have an educational lithobrake.

If I can find and toggle an option to disable this warning, I should know better.

a way to disable the parachute deployment unsafe warning?

I'm joining that request. I understand that was easier to pop up warning message in game then reply on each post when someone complains about destroyed parachutes, but could be possible to change item description of parachute and put that warning there instead ?

There is more probability that users will read that when they build craft then they read whole chnagelog, redme file, OP or searching trough thread.

I'm joining that request. I understand that was easier to pop up warning message in game then reply on each post when someone complains about destroyed parachutes, but could be possible to change item description of parachute and put that warning there instead ?

There is more probability that users will read that when they build craft then they read whole chnagelog, redme file, OP or searching trough thread.

A way to disable (i.e. opt-out of) the message, maybe.

Removing the message in favor of trusting people to read the changelog | readme | first post | search through thread isn't going to happen because people don't do those things, certainly not in sufficient numbers.

Historically and statistically, that's just not true. People don't do those things.

Hmm just tested the new DRE, 3.2xKerbin, LKO reentry speed ca 4000m/s . Just the 3man Pod with a shield, temperature got up to over 1000C but it only ablated from 1000 to like 925 shielding. I somehow expected more. Setting was on hard

Whats exactly is the difference between normal and hard settings behaviour? And which settings should be used if I want a shield to lose minimum half of the ablative shielding during a 4-4.5km/s entry?

Hard starts significant heating at higher altitudes. I also switched things up a bit by using temperature exponent instead of multiplier. If you want more out of Hard try increasing multiplier gradually. Try 2-3

or change temperature exponent to 1. Multiplier to 20. shockwaveExponent to 1.12

A way to disable (i.e. opt-out of) the message, maybe.

Removing the message in favor of trusting people to read the changelog | readme | first post | search through thread isn't going to happen because people don't do those things, certainly not in sufficient numbers.

Historically and statistically, that's just not true. People don't do those things.

I agree with that. Probably I didn't explain correctly.

For example, B9 mod and Advanced Jet Engine mod when altered configs for engines have also changed description fro those.

Like: "Basic Jet engine designed for speeds up to 2 mach".

So it is possible to change description for parachutes when you hover mouse over item in SPH/VAB editor in game. That is why I suggested to put some warning message there, while people don't read mentioned documentation, they will read item description while they build crafts, at least when they compare which one is better.

If you make option just to disable message, I'm fine with that too.

That said, if you're hell bent on trying, I did post links for 64 bit enabled unsupported DRE (0.25 & 0.90)

By unsupported I mean I will entertain no bug reports on that release. Any problems must reproduced on on the 32 bit version before you submit it.

(I'm on my phone posting so you'll have to go a few pages back yourself. Sorry)

I think the best behaviour would be to inform the player after chute deployment that their chutes failed because they were going too fast. The previous DRE behaviour gave no feedback, you just activated the chute and it didn't work.

A message like "Parachute failure - excessive speed" would be simplest. Fancier would be some sort of animation - maybe there's a way to have the chute visible break free and fly away, or at high enough speeds burn up.

Has anyone got 6.4.0 to work with .25? AND does it add shielding to KW fairings?

If you're not upgrading to 0.90, download this and copy it over GameData/DeadlyReentry/Plugins/DeadlyReentry.dll

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a76i28kgmv9cvt/DeadlyReentry_6.4.0_FOR_KSP_0.25_DLL_ONLY.zip?dl=1

(I'll put this on the first post since it got buried)

Please note that the only version of DeadlyReentry that will be currently supported is for KSP Version 0.90, 32 bit client only. (well I might be nice and push the next update for 0.25 as well as 0.90, but probably nothing else after that)

okay thanks ! Ill get your latest ever version and put the .dll you posted . Is x64 Linux supported though? I know Windows x64 should not be supported and I agree lol

Yes, sorry, I keep on not-stipulating that it's just 64 bit Windows client that isn't being supported.