[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

so maybe i missed something, but is there a way to disable to stock toolbar icon?

would be nice if it was only visible in the space center. with the crazy amount of mods some people play with (like myself) it would be nice to clean up the bar a little.

So, I'd been using Flowerchild's custom settings on page 50 for quite some time. The mod has gone through lots of updates since then and I'm just wondering if they're still functional/have the same effect.
For the most part, probably. For Kerbin at least.

Probably.

Not sure about that, considering BTSM metamods DR. FC is still working on moving BTSM to KSP 0.90, so this is from KSP 0.25 & BTSM 1.64999. I found for DR 6.1 and 6.2, Kerbin polar orbit reentries weren't survivable. Going to 6.3 (and I imagine 6.4) solved that, but then the 1.25m heatshield worked at Kerbin escape speed reentries (3000m/s+) with apoapsis of 30km and a single-pass reentry, when it should have burned there and only survived on a multipass with an initial reentry somewhere around 48km.

It is a pretty new video ;I doubt that it was published more than 3 weeks ago. And as his spaceplane spent a lot of time in a TWR of led than one (Using one DT-Vista from the Interstellar Mod), I don't think he experienced enough gs for them to accumulate enough.

If you're referencing the Kerbal deaths on the landing breakup of one of his spaceplanes, if definitely looked lethal--at least to me. Keep in mind that that was a massive craft, and what might look and a hard nose wheel bump could have been a pretty lethal 15-25m drop.

Unrelated--It looks to me like th difficulty settings aren't quite tweaked yet. On hard mode I find my pods (non-RSS) to come back in from a 200km orbit with 28km reentry with very little reentry effects and zero shield ablation, whereas on normal I see massive reentry effects (appropriately) and good ablation even on a 70x70km orbit with a 28km Pe. Can you replicate this or is this something broken in my install?

If you're referencing the Kerbal deaths on the landing breakup of one of his spaceplanes, if definitely looked lethal--at least to me. Keep in mind that that was a massive craft, and what might look and a hard nose wheel bump could have been a pretty lethal 15-25m drop.

Unrelated--It looks to me like th difficulty settings aren't quite tweaked yet. On hard mode I find my pods (non-RSS) to come back in from a 200km orbit with 28km reentry with very little reentry effects and zero shield ablation, whereas on normal I see massive reentry effects (appropriately) and good ablation even on a 70x70km orbit with a 28km Pe. Can you replicate this or is this something broken in my install?

Hard mode non-RSS, try setting Multiplier to 20-25, shockwave exponent to 1.12, temperature exponent to 1 density exponent / FX exponent to 0.5 - 0.6

Unrelated--It looks to me like the difficulty settings aren't quite tweaked yet. On hard mode I find my pods (non-RSS) to come back in from a 200km orbit with 28km reentry with very little reentry effects and zero shield ablation, whereas on normal I see massive reentry effects (appropriately) and good ablation even on a 70x70km orbit with a 28km Pe. Can you replicate this or is this something broken in my install?

I'm using the stock settings (non-RSS) alongside FAR and encountering significant reentry effects, but very minimal shield ablation. When I reenter from a higher orbit, the shield ablation is less than it was with the lower orbit.

I'm going to try raising the shockwave exponent and multiplier.

I'm using the stock settings (non-RSS) alongside FAR and encountering significant reentry effects, but very minimal shield ablation. When I reenter from a higher orbit, the shield ablation is less than it was with the lower orbit.

I'm going to try raising the shockwave exponent and multiplier.

Play with density exponent too. Or first even. The lower it is, the higher up (and earlier in your reentry) that you will begin experiencing reentry heating and especially ablation)

Im having a drastic bug occur with the heatshields weight. No idea how long this has been going on for, but what's basically happening is when I switch to a different craft then revert back to the previous craft its heatshield doubles, triples, quadruples in weight. Talking from 14t to 144t to over a thousand each time I revert to and from the craft. Now forgive me... this is for .25. So Im not looking for in depths trouble shooting here. Maybe just a point in the right direction. And the reason I am reporting this despite being on .25 is.. ive seen this before. I swear its happened to me before or someone else on the forum. I think it may be tweakscale. Because there are no individual sizes you have to use tweakscale to get the size you want ( 2.5m in this case ). So if anyone would like to maybe look at what could be going on id appreciate it, but I understand if not on account its on v.25. Here are some logs..

KSP

OUTPUT_LOG

Oh.. And as you all know. If you up the scale with a heatshield it's ablation value goes through the roof. A 1.25m HS up'ed to 2.5m has 2000 units of ablation. I'll take that down to only a few hundred units. So.. idk if maybe that's contributing to this bug.

Edited by Motokid600

It is an issue with tweakscale, which version are you running? For .25, I would recommend 1.44, as 1.45-1.48 had issues.

Edit: NM, your running 1.47, revert back to 1.44 to fix some issues. TBH tweakscale does introduce several issues. Your issue is related to the auto-scaling and chain-scaling that was introduced.

Edited by Rebelgamer

Now... Tweakscale is the only way to get different size heatshields these days right?

I am running KSP .25 with DR 6.2.1 and NO Tweakscale. It includes heatshields with the following diameters:

1.25m

2.5m

3.75m

6.25m (inflatable)

Is that what you meant?

Yea that's what I meant. Because at this point I'd much rather use a fixed-size heatshield then scaling up a smaller one. Because I was getting shielding issues too. Things were burning up that shouldn't have been. Now the reason I said "Tweakscale is the only way to get different size heatshields" is because I failed to see larger shields in the tech-nodes I've yet to buyout. But I could 've just missed them. I'll check my DRE version soon as I can get back on.

DRE is setting default predeployment time of Realchutes to 6, which causes error when editing chute in VAB (RC requires to set it to 5), please include that minor correction in DeadlyReentry-RealChutes.cfg for next update.

A corrected file has been pushed to the Github repository. You can download it directly from there rather than waiting for the next update. (which isn't going to be until I figure out a final solution for the RealFuels engine heat production rescaling)

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-RealChutes.cfg

(another one for stock chutes will be pushed later. Assuming anyone still uses that)

A corrected file has been pushed to the Github repository. You can download it directly from there rather than waiting for the next update. (which isn't going to be until I figure out a final solution for the RealFuels engine heat production rescaling)

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-RealChutes.cfg

(another one for stock chutes will be pushed later. Assuming anyone still uses that)

I was going to apply this quick fix as well, but.. that .cfg there has only 54 lines vs the one that comes with DRE has 154.. so.. how exactly do I go about that?

I was going to apply this quick fix as well, but.. that .cfg there has only 54 lines vs the one that comes with DRE has 154.. so.. how exactly do I go about that?

You replace the old file with the new one. Yes it's smaller. I pared it down. Some things were being done per chute part that could be reduced to a single section. Other things were being done there that aren't within DRE's scope. (such as the cone chutes modifying drag. Good idea, but it doesn't belong as part of DRE)

whats the difference between having the heat multipler set at 1 vs 20 ? Im confused as why some presets use a huge range.

You're referring to Hard. It creates an equivalent amount of heat by using temperatureExponent and the other settings. A heat multiplier of 20-25 would deep fry your ship so fast you'd think you were at a clam bake. You could increase the multiplier up to 4 or 5 on the stock Hard setting...

Edited by Starwaster

So ill leave it on 1.

Have you had any luck with these settings?

-shockwave 1.12

-shockwave exponent 1.12

-temp exponent 1.12

-mult 1

I seem to get my shield ripped off but no damage to ship , this is only on the Apollo shield.

Edited by lextacy

So ill leave it on 1.

Have you had any luck with these settings?

-shockwave 1.12

-shockwave exponent 1.12

-temp exponent 1.12

-mult 1

I seem to get my shield ripped off but no damage to ship , this is only on the Apollo shield.

Not sure what you mean about being ripped off. Or what the Apollo shield part is.

Shockwave exponent means first you're raising the shockwave to the 1.12 power then multiplying that by 1.12

Then, later, when it comes time to figure out how much heat is going into the part, shockwave temp - part temp raised to temperature exponent times (density raised by density exponent) times heat multiplier. Per second.

Can't actually test that ATM because I'm running with an experimental heat model where some of those don't actually do anything

Is it still possible to access the settings to modify the shockwave multiplier and exponent in the version for 0.90? All I see are easy, medium, and hard options.

That same window has a toggle to 'Open Debugging Menu'. That's the menu that you always used to edit those options.

I'm trying to make a version of the 6.25m inflatable heatshield, but without the decoupler feature. In KSP 0.25 it used to work perfectly. But since the update to 0.90, I can't get the part to appear in the parts list at all now. I've tried fiddling with it and remaking the config to make it work again, but the part simply won't show up. Here's the config file. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to make a version of the 6.25m inflatable heatshield, but without the decoupler feature. In KSP 0.25 it used to work perfectly. But since the update to 0.90, I can't get the part to appear in the parts list at all now. I've tried fiddling with it and remaking the config to make it work again, but the part simply won't show up. Here's the config file. Any help would be appreciated.

I think the mesh has to be in the same folder if you use the mesh field. (mesh =)

If you want to use a mesh from a different folder then you have to use the MODEL node.

However, there's a simpler way to do what you're trying to do:

+PART[6.25_Heatshield]
{
@name = Reusable_6.25_Heatshield
@author = Entropius // Except you really aren't, so it would be better if you did author = Bobcat, Entropius

@title = Reusable 6.25m Inflatable Heatshield
@manufacturer = Entropius
!MODULE[ModuleDecouple]{}
}

I'm having a small problem with the heatshields, specifically the two heatshields from Bobcat Ind., the 1.25m heatshield.

I can attach it to the bottom of a capsule and detach it without any problem. But, I was trying to use it below a science experiment, the Experiment: Plant Growth, although I have seen this with other parts as well.

What happens is that it attaches, but seems to be inside the part, so that once it is attached, I can't detach it, and don't even know if it is working or not. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the heatshield or the experiment,although I saw the same issue using the Stack-mounted parachute module from the Novapunch mod and the MRS Fuel Cell, 1.25m from Modular Rocket Systems.

I tried holding down the ALT key to stop any surface-mount issue

Thanks in advance.

Edit: After playing around with Procedural Parts (the procedural heat shield), it appears that what may be happening is that there are two attachment points on the heat shield, on top and bottom, and while I want the one on top to attach, it is skipping that and attaching to the one on the bottom, thereby making the heatshield to be inside the experiment/fuel cell, etc. I'm not sure how to avoid this, suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by linuxgurugamer