[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Probably. I'm not aware of any major changes between 1.1.0 and 1.1.2 that would break it as the change from 1.0.5 to 1.1 did

They only thing to watch out for, is to update ModuleManager to  2.6.24  since that broke with 1.1.2.

Btw, thanks for your work on Deadly Reentry, still one of my most favourite mods

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Deadly Reentry v7.4.3 (pre-release)

This should fix the KIS/KAS issue properly but I'm leaving it in pre-release state pending further testing

7.4.3 Change Log

• Reworked previous fix for KIS/KAS. (catch KerbalEVA and prevent damage code from running on it during part initialization)
  • Updated ModuleManager for KSP 1.1.2
  • Recompiled for KSP 1.1.2
  • Updated versioning information
  • Extended compatibility checking to more code sections.

@atomontage Please try this and let me know if you find any problems with this!

27 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Deadly Reentry v7.4.3 (pre-release)

This should fix the KIS/KAS issue properly but I'm leaving it in pre-release state pending further testing

7.4.3 Change Log

• Reworked previous fix for KIS/KAS. (catch KerbalEVA and prevent damage code from running on it during part initialization)
  • Updated ModuleManager for KSP 1.1.2
  • Recompiled for KSP 1.1.2
  • Updated versioning information
  • Extended compatibility checking to more code sections.

@atomontage Please try this and let me know if you find any problems with this!

Sure.

I've upgraded my KSP testbox to 1.1.2.

Installed addons:
ModuleManager v2.6.24.0
DeadlyReentry v7.4.3.0
KAS v0.5.6.7
KIS v1.2.7.6

Equip works, button label is ok. It seems the bug is fixed. Now Im gonna test it in my actual game... xD Will report if anything is broken!

Thanks!

I'm going to go ahead and take 7.4.3 out of pre-release status so it can propagate to CKAN.

I'll update the front page later

(the download link always points to latest non pre-release anyway)

Edited by Starwaster

Hi, I'm having a little issue with nre spam when using any cockpit from B9. Soon as its launched (with just the cockpit) the spam starts.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DeadlyReentry.ModuleHeatShield.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I've done a fresh install of KSP 1.1.2 to test, with only DR 7.4.3 and B9 (and its dependencies) and its the same.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26687/output_logDRE.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26687/ModuleManager.ConfigCache

I wasn't sure if I should post here or B9, but since I could only find mention of this error in this thread I'd start here :)

Edit: just noticed that I still had mm .23 on my test install, that's not the issue and still happens on .24

Edited by Torih

4 hours ago, Torih said:

Hi, I'm having a little issue with nre spam when using any cockpit from B9. Soon as its launched (with just the cockpit) the spam starts.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DeadlyReentry.ModuleHeatShield.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I've done a fresh install of KSP 1.1.2 to test, with only DR 7.4.3 and B9 (and its dependencies) and its the same.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26687/output_logDRE.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26687/ModuleManager.ConfigCache

I wasn't sure if I should post here or B9, but since I could only find mention of this error in this thread I'd start here :)

Edit: just noticed that I still had mm .23 on my test install, that's not the issue and still happens on .24

Ok thanks for the report, I'm investigating the problem

@Torih

Ok, looks like this is a B9 issue. I didn't recognize it at first but this has been going on for awhile now.

I don't know what's going on with that mod, whether B9 is not updating it or if it has a maintainer or not but it's using outdated configs and it needs fixing badly. In the old days of Deadly Reentry it used to be a valid thing to not assign ablative material to heat shields and instead to configure them to act like non-ablative shields. Ever since KSP 1.0, we stopped doing that. Instead, parts can have their stock KSP thermals configured to act like non-ablative shields, and that's what needs to happen with B9.

I tried to put in handling code to intercept misconfigured parts and fix them but it doesn't seem to work anymore. 

Bottom line is those parts need fixing by having ModuleHeatShield removed and their stock thermals configured to allow them to survive reentry. (typically this is done by assigning a high emissive constant and either a very high or very low thermal mass modifier assigned, depending on what kind of behavior is desired - heat sink or space plane tiles)

7 minutes ago, Torih said:

@Starwaster Thanks for taking a look at it.

A few guys have been looking after B9 while bac9 is away. I'll post over there and maybe they can sort it.

If they're not sure how to configure non-ablative spaceplane heat shields they should check out how Deadly Reentry does it with low thermal mass skin. The alternative is high thermal mass skin. (for like, titanium or tungsten plated space planes)

18 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

If they're not sure how to configure non-ablative spaceplane heat shields they should check out how Deadly Reentry does it with low thermal mass skin.

I've been contributing bits to the B9 maintenance, and @blowfish has taken the lead. I haven't been playing with DRE, so I'm not sure what needs to be changed in the configs. As it stands, the entries in the B9 patch file look like this: 

@PART[B9_Cockpit_S2_Body_RCS]:FOR[B9_Aerospace]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry] {
    @maxTemp = 1700
    MODULE {
        name = ModuleHeatShield
        direction = 0, 0, 0
        reflective = 0.25
    }

Which config files in your download should I be looking at for an example?

Follow up: would borrowing these pieces from your Mk2Essentials.cfg be appropriate?

@PART[mk2Battery]
{
	@maxTemp = 850
	@emissiveConstant = 0.85
	skinMaxTemp = 2706
	skinThermalMassModifier = 0.436
	skinInternalConductionMult = 0.0000105 // 0.00013518518
	skinMassPerArea = 0.815
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAeroReentry
		leaveTemp = True
	}
}

1 hour ago, danfarnsy said:

@PART[mk2Battery]
{
	@maxTemp = 850
	@emissiveConstant = 0.85
	skinMaxTemp = 2706
	skinThermalMassModifier = 0.436
	skinInternalConductionMult = 0.0000105 // 0.00013518518
	skinMassPerArea = 0.815
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAeroReentry
		leaveTemp = True
	}
}

Yes, that's the one. That configuration will give performance roughly equivalent to the space shuttle. It has high heat tolerance, high emissivity, low skin-internal conductivity and low skin thermal mass. The end result is that space planes made with those parts will want to do shallow rather than steep reentries. They should even be able to handle Real Solar system reentries with no modification though YMMV depending on total ship mass and how long it takes to aerobrake to safe speeds in the upper atmosphere.

If you want to go the opposite route then you'd  do something with high thermal mass which is how the stock Mk2 parts do it. 

The ModuleAeroReentry with leaveTemp = true tells Deadly Reentry not to cap the max temp values. (non-heat shields or parts without leaveTemp will get their max temp cut in half if it's excessively high)

(and remove all the ModuleHeatShield entries since they're not going to have ablative shielding)

Edited by Starwaster

Hi everybody! Hi Starwaster! 

Thanks for your work. I like this mod so mach.

Yesterday I saw a small bug. While SpaceCentr Screen or while Tracking Station Screen Then I press "Fly" on the flag set - flag explodes or game crashed. Without mod - all rights.

that's all folks :)

(Sorry my bad english please)

Yep, fags explode on load even in vacuum (when switching to flag itself or nearby vessel - only flag explodes, vessels ok).  "Burned from overheating"....  Game may break instead of explosion (black screen but UI still active).

Edited by Tau137

4 hours ago, Tau137 said:

Yep, fags explode on load even in vacuum (when switching to flag itself or nearby vessel - only flag explodes, vessels ok).  "Burned from overheating"....  Game may break instead of explosion (black screen but UI still active).

Game breaks how? And logs? Where is the logs?

Deadly Reentry v7.4.4

• Adjusting RSS fallback config. (used when Real Solar System is installed but Realism Overhaul is not and RSSROConfig is not set.
  • Possible fix for explosion/burning sounds being too loud for distant objects.
  • Went to a cat art auction and pigged out on hors d'oeuvres.

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.4.4

Edited by Starwaster

34 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Went to a cat art auction and pigged out on hors d'oeuvres.

xDD

17 hours ago, MyNameIsKarlSagan said:

Hi everybody! Hi Starwaster! 

Thanks for your work. I like this mod so mach.

Yesterday I saw a small bug. While SpaceCentr Screen or while Tracking Station Screen Then I press "Fly" on the flag set - flag explodes or game crashed. Without mod - all rights.

that's all folks :)

(Sorry my bad english please)

15 hours ago, Tau137 said:

Someone reported something similar to this on FAR

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mine_Turtle said:

I am using KSPI and because of Deadly Reentry internal max temperature of radiators gets scaled down by half. Is it possible to revert this to initial settings? There is no reason to reduce internal temp limit on radiators.

As has been suggested to KSPI's maintainers in the past, adding leaveTemp to a part's config will flag it as being exempt from any temperature scaling. Is this still not being done? I don't understand why this is still an issue but here it is again:

Assuming you have some KSPI part named Some.KSPI.Part:

@PART[Some.KSPI.Part]
{
	%leaveTemp = true
}

That's all any modder has to do to signalize a part as being exempt from Deadly Reentry's temperature scaling.

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

As has been suggested to KSPI's maintainers in the past, adding leaveTemp to a part's config will flag it as being exempt from any temperature scaling. Is this still not being done? I don't understand why this is still an issue but here it is again:

Assuming you have some KSPI part named Some.KSPI.Part:

@PART[Some.KSPI.Part]
{
	%leaveTemp = true
}

That's all any modder has to do to signalize a part as being exempt from Deadly Reentry's temperature scaling.

Thank you. I will relay this to KSPI developer.

4 hours ago, EleSigma said:

I am also getting the flag explosion when I try to load a flag from the tracking station. Is there a quick way to fix this?

No, there is no quick fix or workaround at this time. It requires that I identify the source of the problem and I have not been able to do so at this time.

Edited by Starwaster

4 hours ago, EleSigma said:

I am also getting the flag explosion when I try to load a flag from the tracking station. Is there a quick way to fix this?

Hey guess what, I finally figured it out... will upload new version with fix sometime Sunday...

@Starwaster Is it possible to activate the RSS config when RSS is not installed (without manually editing everything)? I'm playing with Sigma Dimensions and a more reasonably sized Kerbin, and would like to be able to use realistic heating settings.