[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

1 hour ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Here is a screenshot. I did not touch thermal settings, so I guess they are stock. Starting AP/PE was around 200k/0. As you can see the pod is at a slight angle to the reentry path. I do not have any means of controlling pod's attitude at this point in my games, so the pod literally crosses 70k at a 90 deg angle and aerodynamic forces soon turn it ablator side first (here I used a heat shield that comes with the pod, but with a separate heat shield the situation is only slightly better). At 40k the pod still wobbles slightly and the chute starts overheating whenever the pod is tilted more than just a few degrees from the flight path. 

The point is - that's as standard vessel in KSP as they come and I never had any problems with chutes catching fire during reentry. I often use radial chutes with Mk1 later in the game and never had any problems with them or science instruments attached to the sides. Even goo pods, if attached close to the top, were inside "aerodynamic shadow" of the pod and were able to survive reentry (from a low orbit at least). I did not try this so far by I guess they will melt instantly now. 

The part's maxTemp is too low. It should be 2300. It looks like it is being cut in half which is something Deadly Reentry does if maxTemp is over a certain value unless it's been told the part is exempt. BUT DR's chute configs do that so either another mod or you don't have all the most recent files. Completely uninstall DR and reinstall it from the latest download.

Did not help.

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

maxTemp

Which temp do you mean - maxOperationalTemp or skinMaxOperationalTemp? maxTemp for this chute is set to 2500 in Squad's config files. I can try to do some digging if you point me in the right direction. 

EDIT: it seems DRE doesn't like Real Chute any longer. I created new Game Data folder, put there Squad folders together with DRE and ModuleManager410. Both temps were about 1070 K (so I dunno if that's OK either). Then I added Real Chutes to the Game Data folder and this resulted with temps as on my screenshot.  

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

3 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Did not help.

Which temp do you mean - maxOperationalTemp or skinMaxOperationalTemp? maxTemp for this chute is set to 2500 in Squad's config files. I can try to do some digging if you point me in the right direction. 

EDIT: it seems DRE doesn't like Real Chute any longer. I created new Game Data folder, put there Squad folders together with DRE and ModuleManager410. Both temps were about 1070 K (so I dunno if that's OK either). Then I added Real Chutes to the Game Data folder and this resulted with temps as on my screenshot.  

I actually meant skinMaxTemp which I deduced from skinMaxOperationalTemp which is by default 85% of skinMaxTemp. skinMaxTemp is the skin temp at which KSP destroys the part. skinMaxOperationalTemp is the temp at which Deadly Reentry starts to damage the part 

And what is this part of KSP.log?

Line 5969: [LOG 14:02:09.676] [DRE] rebalancing OP maxTemp for part parachuteSingle
    Line 5970: [LOG 14:02:09.676] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] Adding ModuleAeroReentry to part parachuteSingle
    Line 6677: [LOG 14:02:56.528] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] parachuteSingle already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.

These entries appear after DeadlyReentry-RealChutes.cfg patches maxTemp to 2300. Could this rebalancing be at fault?

26 minutes ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

And what is this part of KSP.log?

These entries appear after DeadlyReentry-RealChutes.cfg patches maxTemp to 2300. Could this rebalancing be at fault?

Line 5969 is just saying what I already told you: It's being cut in half.  2300 * 0.5 = 1150. 1150 * 0.85 = 977.5 (skinMaxOperationalTemp)

The other two lines are more interesting it should only be one or the other. Either it's adding ModuleAeroReentry because it's not there or it's not adding it because it's already there. It won't log both because it's a logical impossibility. Unless you have Deadly Reentry installed twice. (could happen if you copied the zip file's GameData folder into your KSP\GameData folder or otherwise had the DR files in another folder in GameData)

Also, I want to touch on something you mentioned earlier regarding how parts are shielded by one another: The stock behavior is different from when FAR is installed. With FAR installed trailing parts get less aerodynamic occlusion and so do get more heating than stock. That shouldn't matter for chute parts when they are properly configured. (assuming of course that the cap hasn't been jettisoned  for chute deployment because DR will detect that and modify several of the part's thermodynamic properties)

Edit: Get your installation situation resolved such that only one copy is installed. Then run the game up to the main menu then quit. Then zip up your log file and your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and put them on Dropbox or some similar file sharing system. (Dropbox)

Edited by Starwaster

23 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Line 5969 is just saying what I already told you: It's being cut in half.  2300 * 0.5 = 1150. 1150 * 0.85 = 977.5 (skinMaxOperationalTemp)

Yes, but I understood that 977.5 is too low and it should be 2300? So why does DE do this? You said it does it when if maxTemp is set over a certain value. I found this line just before ModuleAeroReentry is added to every part:

[LOG 14:02:09.370] Using ridiculousMaxTemp = 1523.15 / maxTempScale =0.5

1523.15 is indeed less then 2300. Is it supposed to be like this if 2300 is the maxTemp the chute should have (or do I get it all wrong)?

The other two lines are more interesting it should only be one or the other. 

The not adding lines appear after this entry 

[LOG 14:02:55.273] [HighLogic]: =========================== Scene Change : From FLIGHT to MAINMENU =====================

So when I quit the game, DE tries to add ModuleAeroReentry to every part again. 

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

@JebIsDeadBaby

Ok so FixMaxTemp is actually running every time the player goes to the main menu. Not what was intended but not a big deal.

As far as everything else goes, all that matters is that the part is supposed to be exempted and that's not happening.

Log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache. Can't do anything further without those.

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

Ah, so it REALLY was DR that made me not go to main menu at all ... I was not sure because there were no exceptions ... I had to kill process and remove DR to be able to go to the main menu.

If this is supposed to be some kind of bug report it's a pretty sorry excuse for one. 

And if it's supposed to somehow link to anything that anyone has discussed recently it's a total non-sequitur.

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

KSP is still not able to exit to main menu when DR is installed, the screen goes black, showing the bottom-right "Loading..." and that's it.
I waited several minutes to see if it's "just" really slow.

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g0j2n30lsuilfd/player.log and stuff 2019-11-12-01.zip?dl=1

I need to know more about your system. You've got a player.log in there but the log indicates a windows OS. (player.log usually means *nix or Mac)

The logs themselves aren't really telling me anything unfortunately. They both cut out at different points without logging anything problematic.

I need to know more about your system. You've got a player.log in there but the log indicates a windows OS. (player.log usually means *nix or Mac)

The logs themselves aren't really telling me anything unfortunately. They both cut out at different points without logging anything problematic.

1. I also was curious about that fact.
    I always was used to get an output_log.txt - but since the update to KSP 1.8.1 it was changed to be a Player.log - at the exact same path as the output_log.txt was placed before.
    (my system specs are in the signature)
  2. Yeah, that's the point. Log's just cut.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

KSP 1.8+ now uses Player.log for Windows as well as *nix

The last lines that are logged in KSP.log before any logging stops and the endless nothingness occurs, trying to exit to main menu:

[LOG 01:58:20.222] FixMaxTemps: Fixing Temps
[LOG 01:58:20.225] Using ridiculousMaxTemp = 1523.15 / maxTempScale =0.5
[LOG 01:58:20.225] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVA already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAfemale already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DRE] Ignoring part 'flag'
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAVintage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAfemaleVintage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAFuture already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAfemaleFuture already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] AblativeAirbrake already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] B9.Aero.Wing.Procedural.TypeA already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] B9.Aero.Wing.Procedural.TypeB already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] B9.Aero.Wing.Procedural.TypeC already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] Utility.InfoDrive already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.AgenaA already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaAntenna already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.AgenaD already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaLongTank already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaLongWhiteTank already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaMediumTank already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaNoseCone already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.227] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaPort already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.227] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaProbeCore already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.227] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaSecondaryEngine already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.

.... lines and even more lines ....

[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C3B.Tankage.X already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C.FB.tankage.x already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1C.FB.tankage.x already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C25FB.Tankage.X already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C25.Tankage.X already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1E.EngineMount already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1E.Tankage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1F.Tankage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.

21 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

The last lines that are logged in KSP.log before any logging stops and the endless nothingness occurs, trying to exit to main menu:

[LOG 01:58:20.222] FixMaxTemps: Fixing Temps
[LOG 01:58:20.225] Using ridiculousMaxTemp = 1523.15 / maxTempScale =0.5
[LOG 01:58:20.225] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVA already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAfemale already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DRE] Ignoring part 'flag'
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAVintage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAfemaleVintage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAFuture already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] kerbalEVAfemaleFuture already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] AblativeAirbrake already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] B9.Aero.Wing.Procedural.TypeA already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] B9.Aero.Wing.Procedural.TypeB already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] B9.Aero.Wing.Procedural.TypeC already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] Utility.InfoDrive already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.AgenaA already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaAntenna already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.AgenaD already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaLongTank already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaLongWhiteTank already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaMediumTank already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.226] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaNoseCone already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.227] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaPort already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.227] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaProbeCore already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.227] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.agenaSecondaryEngine already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.

.... lines and even more lines ....

[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C3B.Tankage.X already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C.FB.tankage.x already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1C.FB.tankage.x already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C25FB.Tankage.X already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.MS1C25.Tankage.X already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1E.EngineMount already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1E.Tankage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.
[LOG 01:58:20.249] [DeadlyReentry.FixMaxTemps] bluedog.Saturn.S1F.Tankage already has ModuleAeroReentry. Not adding.

None of which even remotely indicates a cause or even that Deadly Reentry itself was the cause. All of the parts are indicated by your log as having been successfully processed by Deadly Reentry at which point it ceases to do anything at the Main Menu. It doesn't do anything else at that point and other non-Deadly Reentry procedures begin to occur. (player.log had more to say on the subject than ksp.log)

• 2 weeks later...

@Starwaster

Found a big problem when doing some debugging this evening.  Fairly significant.

loading Crash Report
UnityException: SupportsTextureFormatNative is not allowed to be called from a MonoBehaviour constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in Awake or Start instead. Called from MonoBehaviour 'DRToolbar' on game object 'DRToolbar'.
See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.SystemInfo.SupportsTextureFormatNative(UnityEngine.TextureFormat)
  at UnityEngine.SystemInfo.SupportsTextureFormat (UnityEngine.TextureFormat format) [0x0001d] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\SystemInfo\SystemInfo.bindings.cs:402 
  at UnityEngine.Texture.ValidateFormat (UnityEngine.TextureFormat format) [0x00002] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\Graphics\Texture.cs:464 
  at UnityEngine.Texture2D..ctor (System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, UnityEngine.TextureFormat textureFormat, System.Int32 mipCount, System.Boolean linear, System.IntPtr nativeTex) [0x00009] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\Graphics\Texture.cs:527 
  at UnityEngine.Texture2D..ctor (System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height) [0x00000] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\Graphics\Texture.cs:553 
  at DeadlyReentry.DRToolbar..ctor () [0x00024] in <110385ae8c0746c292f6108c9f4e863a>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\Scripting\GameObject.bindings.cs:222)
AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(GameScenes)
AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode) (at C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime\Export\SceneManager\SceneManager.cs:244)

@linuxgurugamer This is strange as technically I'm not doing anything in the constructor which would trigger that. It's possible that the way I declared the field could be construed as a constructor call (even if there wasn't a constructor) but in that case it should doing it all the time for everyone. I should see that in my own logs or the recently submitted logs by Gordon Dry.

Is this a build you compiled yourself or is there anything else unusual about it? What versions of DR/KSP are you using? (if you had submitted the entire log I wouldn't have to ask that or chase anything down....)

24 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

@linuxgurugamer This is strange as technically I'm not doing anything in the constructor which would trigger that. It's possible that the way I declared the field could be construed as a constructor call (even if there wasn't a constructor) but in that case it should doing it all the time for everyone. I should see that in my own logs or the recently submitted logs by Gordon Dry.

Is this a build you compiled yourself or is there anything else unusual about it? What versions of DR/KSP are you using? (if you had submitted the entire log I wouldn't have to ask that or chase anything down....)

The log was volumenous. I was using a development system with the Unity debugger.

This was 1.8.1 everything installed by CKAN.

I was streaming at the time, found similar issues in 7 other mods, including 3 of my own.

I'm  traveling right now, will take a look at code when I get in.