[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

53 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

@linuxgurugamer This is strange as technically I'm not doing anything in the constructor which would trigger that. It's possible that the way I declared the field could be construed as a constructor call (even if there wasn't a constructor) but in that case it should doing it all the time for everyone. I should see that in my own logs or the recently submitted logs by Gordon Dry.

Is this a build you compiled yourself or is there anything else unusual about it? What versions of DR/KSP are you using? (if you had submitted the entire log I wouldn't have to ask that or chase anything down....)

I took a quick look at your code.  I think the problem is here:

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/d67940948b03dbe5b3654a8b81e99d31a16ba1bb/Source/DRToolBar.cs#L56-L63

You are initializing two things in the constructor:

Assembly assembly = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();
            FileVersionInfo fileVersionInfo = FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(assembly.Location);

and it's either one or both of them.  

If you like, I can test this sometime this evening (will be late) and submit a PR if that fixes it

39 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I took a quick look at your code.  I think the problem is here:

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/d67940948b03dbe5b3654a8b81e99d31a16ba1bb/Source/DRToolBar.cs#L56-L63

You are initializing two things in the constructor:

Assembly assembly = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();
            FileVersionInfo fileVersionInfo = FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(assembly.Location);

and it's either one or both of them.  

If you like, I can test this sometime this evening (will be late) and submit a PR if that fixes it

No it’s not either of those. You’d probably see that even if there were no constructor and I said why that was. 

The question is why is this happening NOW? These things don’t happen randomly. What is going on in your KSP environment? You didn’t answer my questions. 

2 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

No it’s not either of those. You’d probably see that even if there were no constructor and I said why that was. 

The question is why is this happening NOW? These things don’t happen randomly. What is going on in your KSP environment? You didn’t answer my questions. 

I'll say it again.

Clean 1.8.1 install.  Both DLCs.  Everything else installed via CKAN.  Then the debug environment was set up as follows:

I built  the environment using @sarbian's forum post here:

I did notice that while running the WindowsPlayer.exe the log was much more verbose, as I would expect.  It was showing errors which weren't doing anything in the regular game.

I found similar issues in 3 of my mods and 3 other mods besides DR.

When I get home this evening, I'll do a test with only DeadlyReentry and send you the log file

42 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

@linuxgurugamer

I’ll recode it so it doesn’t do that in a future update  but I think you might overstating the severity of the issue 

I found the problem.  It wasn't the lines I pointed out earlier, sorry.  I did that while at work.  But I just finished testing, the problem is this line at line 22 in the file:

private Texture2D buttonTexture = new Texture2D(32, 32);

The solution is to do this:

private Texture2D buttonTexture;

void Awake()
{
	buttonTexture = new Texture2D(32, 32);
}

Regarding the severity, all I can say is that in my new career game, I have three mods (currently removed) which have this problem show up.  When the mods are there, about 75% of the time the game will hang just before the main menu shows up.  Once I removed those three mods, I haven't had a hang since.

I've done a PR with the change, in case it's helpful:  https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/pull/44

Regarding the log file, I can still send it if you want, but I was seeing the error on a regular, non-debug game

Edited by linuxgurugamer

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@linuxgurugamer

I’ll recode it so it doesn’t do that in a future update  but I think you might overstating the severity of the issue 

It was pointed out to me that the crashes may be OS specific, so if, for example, you built and test on Linux, it may be fine, but crash on Windows.  This applies to all mods with this problem, I'm currently in the process of reviewing all my mods for this

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It was pointed out to me that the crashes may be OS specific, so if, for example, you built and test on Linux, it may be fine, but crash on Windows.  This applies to all mods with this problem, I'm currently in the process of reviewing all my mods for this

Are you saying it would crash on OS other than what it’s built on or that it would crash on a specific OS but not another?

Just now, Starwaster said:

Are you saying it would crash on OS other than what it’s built on or that it would crash on a specific OS but not another?

As I understand it, it would (sometimes) crash on a specific OS such as Windows, but not on another such as Linux.  My understanding is that is because of the underlying Unity implementation.

As an FYI, I've identified another 6/7 of my mods which are having this issue as well, I'm currently working on fixing all identifiable issues in my mods

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, dlrk said:

Intermittently, KSP freezes after the initial load on the loading screen before the manual. Looking at the log, it seems to happen when DRE is running fix maxtemp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6oc0vpnft631ir/KSP.log?dl=0

Let me know if any more info would help. I'm on 1.8.1

There's going to be another release for 1.8 which hopefully fixes that. It doesn't happen for me so I had to run it by some of the RO folks for testing and it seems to have worked out.

Is there a workaround for now? Now it's happening every time I launch KSP.

EDIT: Worked around by setting ridiculousmaxtemp high enough that it doesn't get triggered

Edited by dlrk

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Curious if there is any word on the status of an official fix for this in 1.8.1 since its been several months in progress? I consider it to be one of my "must have" mods and this is one of the last that I've been waiting for an update.

Some people are still experiencing problems with the test dlls that I provided. Personally, I am not. at least not anymore.

@dlrk @SpacedInvader 

Any DeadlyReentry.dll file with a timestamp of earlier than 3/19/2020 6:48 PM is broken. Redownload if your file doesn't have that timestamp.

(basically I horribly broke something in my attempt to refactoring to make it more resource and garbage collection friendly. Another change I made is to change when DRE runs certain code. So the point at which it might freeze has been shifted from the Main Menu to first loading of the SpaceCentre scene)

Clarification: I shifted the code to run at SpaceCenter in hopes of avoiding the conditions that caused it to freeze in the first place.

Edited by Starwaster

On 3/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, Starwaster said:

@dlrk @SpacedInvader 

Any DeadlyReentry.dll file with a timestamp of earlier than 3/19/2020 6:48 PM is broken. Redownload if your file doesn't have that timestamp.

(basically I horribly broke something in my attempt to refactoring to make it more resource and garbage collection friendly. Another change I made is to change when DRE runs certain code. So the point at which it might freeze has been shifted from the Main Menu to first loading of the SpaceCentre scene)

Clarification: I shifted the code to run at SpaceCenter in hopes of avoiding the conditions that caused it to freeze in the first place.

So I've re-downloaded it several times from the original link and I'm still getting a created timestamp of 03/18/2020 @ 3:57:24 PM. Not sure if I should be trying to pull from a different link, but it appears that I'm not getting the correct dll.

2 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

So I've re-downloaded it several times from the original link and I'm still getting a created timestamp of 03/18/2020 @ 3:57:24 PM. Not sure if I should be trying to pull from a different link, but it appears that I'm not getting the correct dll.

ehhh it's not in an archive so its timestamps aren't going to be preserved... the created date for you is going to be whenever you first downloaded it even if you then overwrote it by redownloading it.

The link is fine so as long as the file you have was downloaded after the date/time I indicated then it's ok.

43 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

ehhh it's not in an archive so its timestamps aren't going to be preserved... the created date for you is going to be whenever you first downloaded it even if you then overwrote it by redownloading it.

The link is fine so as long as the file you have was downloaded after the date/time I indicated then it's ok.

Ok, thanks

• 3 weeks later...