[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

5 hours ago, CrayzeeMonkey said:

Are the stock heatshields intended to be used with deadly reentry? I installed DRE manually and to my surprise the stock heatshields remained unchanged.

Yes, they work fine with DRE. See the these two posts for additional information. I tend to use Janitor's Closet to hide the DRE parts these days for consistency's sake.

On 1/27/2019 at 6:42 AM, Starwaster said:
  1. The "new" parts predate KSP stock heat shields. They are legacy parts that will be remaining in the mod forever but you are free to remove them. Yes, in theory they can't take as much heat but the stock parts are probably overpowered and may have their max temp reduced at any time. In practice it doesn't matter because when they run out of ablative material all of them have their max temp reduced to the same temperature.
  2. The thermal model is the same; stock handles all thermodynamics now. Deadly Reentry overrides the stock heat shield code to change how they behave. (less useful when they run out of ablator). Rule of thumb is that for the same temperature  and the same amount of starting ablative material you will burn off the same amount.  (i.e. if two shields have the same max amount of ablator then they will burn at the same rate for a given temperature) The main thing Deadly Reentry does is reduce max temp of parts to sane levels instead of treating everything like it’s made of tungsten. 
  3. Resource AblativeShielding is the original DR resource and remains for compatibility purposes. It is intended to be functionally identical to the stock resource except that Squad periodically changes its specific heat capacity and I am only just now noticing that they bumped it up again. (thanks Squad)

On 10/12/2019 at 12:22 PM, Starwaster said:

Functionally the two resources are identical.  AblativeShielding is the legacy resource used by Deadly Reentry for as long as the mod has been in existence.

Ablator is the stock resource. When converting stock heat shields, DR uses the stock resource. It retains its original resource so as not to break save games or saved craft.

Reentry works the same as in stock except that parts are balanced so as not to have overpowered max temps. There's not a whole lot about it that is different except:

Some parts that can survive a reentry in stock with no shielding will not survive such a reentry in DR. The Mark 1 Cockpit starts out weak but is later upgraded to withstand reentries. (in sandbox make sure that upgrades are applied automatically. In career mode, research hypersonic flight)

Some parts will require a heat shield with a larger diameter than their own. These tend to be cylindrical shaped parts like the material bay. which is particularly vulnerable. It should have a 1.8 or 2.5m shield. 

• 3 weeks later...

DeadlyReentry v7.8.0 The Maat Edition

• Refactoring of code
  • Removed Monobehaviour calls from any constructors or code which would result in Monobehaviour being called from a constructor
  • Moved temperature rebalancing to after a game save has been loaded (once only)
  • The previous two items addresses KSP hanging at main menu. It cannot be guaranteed to correct such behaviour as I don't believe any one mod is responsible and in fact the more mods you have the more likely it is to happen. This only minimizes DREs contribution to the problem.
  • Added DRE PAW grouping. (DRE fields are grouped and can be collapsed in the PAW)

https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/v7.8.0

A release for KSP 1.9 will follow soon. Sorry I haven't been around lately but I got a little burned out as I was spending too much time chasing down bugs and poking around in code instead of playing. Then my cousin got me Fallout 76 so I've been playing that with him online.

Ok so I’d wanted to get the new updates out faster than this but my PC seems to have died. 

Maybe the PSU. Going to see if I can get a PSU tester. They’re not too expensive. Then we’ll have to see what happens. 

sorry. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, Starwaster said:

Ok so I’d wanted to get the new updates out faster than this but my PC seems to have died. 

Maybe the PSU. Going to see if I can get a PSU tester. They’re not too expensive. Then we’ll have to see what happens. 

sorry. 

Curious, have you just not tested it with 1.9.1? Asking since I've been playing it with 1.9.1, haven't noticed anything odd

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why, but the stock aerodynamic nose cone doesn't seem to be included in the SPP or wings CFG. Was this intended? If yes, what is intended to be used as the nosecone for spaceplanes with DRE?

On 7/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, dlrk said:

I'm not sure why, but the stock aerodynamic nose cone doesn't seem to be included in the SPP or wings CFG. Was this intended? If yes, what is intended to be used as the nosecone for spaceplanes with DRE?

It's handled in the DeadlyReentry.cfg file

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

It's handled in the DeadlyReentry.cfg file

I see that just now. I'm not sure what's going on, perhaps some sort of conflict with ReStock or some other mod, but in-game, the nosecone had a much lower skin temp than the 2706 prescribed in DeadlyReentry.cfg. I added noseCone to the SPP CFG, and it worked fine, so that's a bit odd. Perhaps some sort of load order issue with the MM cfg.

On 7/22/2020 at 5:57 PM, dlrk said:

I see that just now. I'm not sure what's going on, perhaps some sort of conflict with ReStock or some other mod, but in-game, the nosecone had a much lower skin temp than the 2706 prescribed in DeadlyReentry.cfg. I added noseCone to the SPP CFG, and it worked fine, so that's a bit odd. Perhaps some sort of load order issue with the MM cfg.

Load order is an issue if another mod is patching that part. The last one to patch that field is what counts

• 1 month later...

@Starwaster - how does DR calculate if parts are in the heat shield's aeroshadow? I dunno if I accidentally changed something but Restock's Mk1 Pod with Restock's 1.25 m heat shield burns instantly unless perfectly aligned with surface retrograde. I had no such problem in my previous game. 

EDIT: damn, I think maxTemps are screwed again. In game I get skinMaxOperationalTemp at only 1147.50 K on the Mk1 pod. How the hell do you trace which mod changed what? 

EDIT 2: OK, so I'm testing a minimum configuration: Squad + Squad Expansion + Deadly Reentry. Some time ago I decided to delete the heat shield module that DR adds to Mk1 pod. So I turned this: 

@PART[mk1pod|mk1podNew|mk1pod_v2]:FOR[DeadlyReentry]
{
	%maxTemp = 850
	%skinMaxTemp = 2700
	%skinInternalConductionMult = 0.0001
	%emissiveConstant = 0.85

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleHeatShield
		ablativeResource = AblativeShielding
		lossExp = -7500
		lossConst = 1.6
		pyrolysisLossFactor = 6000
		reentryConductivity = 0.001
		ablationTempThresh = 500
		depletedMaxTemp = 1200
		charMin = 1
		charMax = 1
		charAlpha = 1
		useNode = true
		nodeName = bottom
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = AblativeShielding
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100
	}
}

into this:

@PART[mk1pod|mk1podNew|mk1pod_v2]:FOR[DeadlyReentry]
{
	%maxTemp = 850
	%skinMaxTemp = 2700
	%skinInternalConductionMult = 0.0001
	%emissiveConstant = 0.85
}

Simple enough, right? Turns out this is the cause of my problem. With the heat shield module missing in game skinMaxOperationalTemp of the pod is 1147.50 K, if it's there, skinMaxOperationalTemp has a correct value of about 2300 K. 

What's more interesting %skinMaxTemp = 2700 is properly applied in both cases (checked via MM config cache), so it's like there is some multiplier that is applied differently (AFAIR it should be 85%).

EDIT 3: OK, so I figured that mk1pod_v2 lacks leaveTemp = True so I added 

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleAeroReentry
		leaveTemp = True
	}

and now temps are OK. So for now I considered the problem solved. I have two questions though: 

1. Sometimes leaveTemp = True is added to the root node and sometimes to ModuleAeroReentry. Is the former obsolete? Is there any difference between the two?

2. Why temps don't get halved when ModuleHeatShield is present even though there is no leaveTemp = True?

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow! from these comments it basically looks like you need to be a professional coder just to be able to run this mod without breaking literally everything. I'd like to install it but I don't know jack about changing .cgf's or even where to find them if I wanted to... I just want to have to consider one more thing on re-entry. Am I good ir should I just skip this mod and pretend?

Hi @Dick_Kerman. Welcome to the boards. You will find that there is an an active community here of modders and others, and that in general, people will be happy to help you, but as I think you already know, you have to provide information to get effective assistance. 

That said, you may want to be more clear with your question. It is not at all true that you need to be a professional coder to run DRE. Are you reading only the comments on this page? If so, they are about some pretty esoteric issues and don't apply to everyone or even most people. Generally, reading the OP and the last few pages of a long post like this one should give you and idea of what it does, how much it may change or impact your game, and what the current state of development is. In DRE's case, it is currently stable for KSP 1.8.1 and still in active development. 

If I've misunderstood and you're just asking whether DRE adds much to the game, I would say absolutely. It is one of the mods I won't play without and don't update my KSP until there's a matching DRE version. Starwaster is one of the great ones when it comes to modders for KSP. Try it out, see if you like the added challenge.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

While i have no idea when Starwaster will return, i have taken the option to recomplie and release the newest version of Deadly Reentry myself since Starwaster seems to be Busy IRL.

https://github.com/vader111/DeadlyReentry/releases/tag/7.8.1

Made for KSP 1.8 to 1.11, I have tested it for 1.8 and 1.9 but not for 1.10 & 1.11

License is included in the Deadly Reentry Folder.

3 hours ago, vader111 said:

While i have no idea when Starwaster will return, i have taken the option to recomplie and release the newest version of Deadly Reentry myself since Starwaster seems to be Busy IRL.

Made for KSP 1.8 to 1.11, I have tested it for 1.8 and 1.9 but not for 1.10 & 1.11

Thanks a lot Vader.  :)

If you don't hear back from me it probably works fine in 1.11.  That, or it ended up being deadlier than intended.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 5:17 AM, vader111 said:

recompiling it is nice and all.  but why is your "recompile" flagged as a threat [snip]

Edited by Snark
Redacted by moderator