[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

It's seeming to me that DRE doesn't really work with .23 - I haven't had any bugs taht I can tell.. it just doesn't do anything.

Deadly Re-Entry appears to be responsible for making surface mount objects just fall off. (Tested with 1 man capsule at the space center). I'm guessing something to do with the g-force limit or the atmosphere dynamics is causing stuff to just fall off. I'll keep testing in case the mod interaction is more complex.

Made a quickfix to the problem in the DLL file.

Just replace it in the Plugins folder.

Edit: this is just a compile of the sourcecode that follows the mod, with some ParticleEmitter code changed.

I do not own, or have not created this mod. The dropbox entry will be removed once a patch is officially released, or if the devs request I remove it :)

Link removed

Mod is updated :)

Edited by arsenic87
Mod is updated :)

Identified a probable bug in the patch with DR with 0.23 using the above patch. It is causing parts to explode during staging. Haven't determined why, but the default decoupler is always the "culprit" when it happens and it at minimum destroys the tank under it and twice has also destroyed the capsule above it.

Changelog:

v4.1 = \/

*0.23 compatibility by taniwha and arsenic87

*maxTemp no longer changed if ModuleHeatshield is present. This should allow thermal sink-style heatshields, when combined with high reflectivity.

Awesome! Thanks NathanKell; I'm finally back up and running.

In 4.0, I am seeing communitron 88-88's still on the launch pad will steadily increase in temperature, about one degree every half second, regardless of time warp. I watched it climb up to 485 degrees just sitting there while everything else stopped at 17-21c.

ftQsksV.jpg

Edited by Read have Read

Noticed a strange bug with 4.1. I haven't replicated it yet -- but I haven't really made a huge attempt at replicating it as I was just casually playing at the time.

tiRI2rLl.png

On re-entry, I jettisoned a stage with an FL-200 fuel tank and LV-909 engine, and a few batteries + panels. As it heated up, the parts exploded from overheating as expected -- but when it came to the fuel tank an exception was thrown (in the debugger/logs) and the fuel tank was re-created in place, ~333 times, and then exploded ~333 times, resulting in the image above. Afterwards kerbin turned into a strange ball of light and some really weird things started happening.

Is there some issue with the new RAPIER engine? It's exploding due to "excessive g-forces" no matter how I try to use it.

Does DR affect overheating in engines somehow? In trying to replicate the behaviour, I noticed that a very simple design-- a pod, the largest 1.25 m tank and the engine on the bottom-- would explode with this reason when the overheating would otherwise destroy it. Meanwhile, the overheating bar decreases with DR installed.

So, I tried at reduced thrust, a TWR around 1.2, but with the exact same result. I'll try overheating an aerospike to see if it behaves the same way.

EDIT: aerospikes heat up linearly and explode "due to overheating" as expected, although there's some unexpected fluctuations close to max overheating

EDIT 2: Pictures and quicker way to replicate

http://imgur.com/a/SwpYi#0

Edited by SSR Kermit
images

Is there some issue with the new RAPIER engine? It's exploding due to "excessive g-forces" no matter how I try to use it.

Does DR affect overheating in engines somehow? In trying to replicate the behaviour, I noticed that a very simple design-- a pod, the largest 1.25 m tank and the engine on the bottom-- would explode with this reason when the overheating would otherwise destroy it. Meanwhile, the overheating bar decreases with DR installed.

So, I tried at reduced thrust, a TWR around 1.2, but with the exact same result. I'll try overheating an aerospike to see if it behaves the same way.

EDIT: aerospikes heat up linearly and explode "due to overheating" as expected, although there's some unexpected fluctuations close to max overheating

EDIT 2: Pictures and quicker way to replicate

http://imgur.com/a/SwpYi#0

I noticed similar issues when trying to use the Rapier on a spaceplane. No matter how hard or what I tried, it always exploded. It seemed as though right around 25km, the engine would always start to overheat and no matter how far I throttle down, it'll keep getting worse until eventually the overheat rate skyrockets and the bar jumps from 50% to 100% and kills it. This happened every single time. Perhaps DE is trying to account for it both as a jet engine and a rocket engine and so it is getting double the heat or something? I don't know what it would be.

It's more like DRE doesn't detect it as an engine since it uses new modules, and thus doesn't cut its heat production in half, but DOES cut its maxTemp in half since it has too high a maxTemp. Like I said above, quick fix is to manually halve the heatProduction values in its part.cfg