[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

First, let me thank you for great mod. But I would also like to know if someone could help me out. I have also installed Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter System and Deadly Reentry conflicts with the shuttle mod somehow as flying shuttle with Deadly Reentry installed makes shuttle heavy and unresponsive. I would greatly appreciate information whether this two mods could be made compatible or what should i change in the files to make it so.

They are compatible. I've used that shuttle with DREC installed and it doesnt affect control. I suppose it would be heavier though if you're using one of the ablative shield configs. ablative material is a resource with mass.

IMO it should use a reflective value of 20-25 with no ablative material assigned

They are compatible. I've used that shuttle with DREC installed and it doesnt affect control. I suppose it would be heavier though if you're using one of the ablative shield configs. ablative material is a resource with mass.

IMO it should use a reflective value of 20-25 with no ablative material assigned

Thanks, but now for dumb question. Where can I find non-ablative config? In KSO download there is only one DREC config (dre_KSO) which apparently use ablative shielding. And as you said, mass of that shielding make shuttle fall like a rock.

Ok, i´ll ask.

I´ve read many pages in this threat and searched it but still could´t find anything.

I got deadly reentry now with Ferram aerospace and since i´m using ferram my debris never burns up during reentry.

In previous missions i droped empty stages, fairings and so on into the athmosphere, so they didn´t stay in space, but i also dont want to have them splashing down.

My question:

What can i do that debris will burn up again, but vessels with headshields survive the reentry? I´ve read something about heatmultiplers and things like that. That way?

You are doing an AWSOME Job NathanKell! :D

Thanks, but now for dumb question. Where can I find non-ablative config? In KSO download there is only one DREC config (dre_KSO) which apparently use ablative shielding. And as you said, mass of that shielding make shuttle fall like a rock.

I think I might have one... it'll be awhile before I can dig it out....

Does anyone have any idea why changes made in the custom config would be reseting themselves ingame? The text file stays the same but the numbers in the debug change back to default values once I reload/start the game. I would love a way to have a challenge without having to bring up the settings prior to every reentry :(

Latest version of RealChute seems to have broken DREC.

While trying to land my space plane I generated a 280 MB output_log.txt file (which, needless to say I will not be posting)

280 MB of THIS:

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.IsShielded (Vector3 direction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.ReentryHeat (Vector3 velocity) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Latest version of RealChute seems to have broken DREC.

While trying to land my space plane I generated a 280 MB output_log.txt file (which, needless to say I will not be posting)

280 MB of THIS:

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.IsShielded (Vector3 direction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.ReentryHeat (Vector3 velocity) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DeadlyReentry.ModuleAeroReentry.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can confirm this.

Get realism overhaul and it will be done automatically

I am running the RSS+DREC+FAR+RT2 and a few other mods listed in my sig, but is it in the Realism overhaul plugin? Everything in that thread kind of links me to the plugins I would need. Not really changing anything as far as I can tell.

Re: DREC errors for latest RealChutes. I've had this fixed for myself for a few days and thought I'd share it with everyone else until Nathan shows up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e86pz9cv8i65o2l/DeadlyReentry.zip

It's a two line fix

from

string mainDeployState = (string)rCType.GetField("deploymentState").GetValue(realChute);
string secDeployState = (string)rCType.GetField("secDepState").GetValue(realChute);

to

string mainDeployState = (string)rCType.GetField("depState").GetValue(realChute);
string secDeployState = (string)rCType.GetField("secDepState").GetValue(realChute);

Re: DREC errors for latest RealChutes. I've had this fixed for myself for a few days and thought I'd share it with everyone else until Nathan shows up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e86pz9cv8i65o2l/DeadlyReentry.zip

It's a two line fix

from

string mainDeployState = (string)rCType.GetField("deploymentState").GetValue(realChute);

to

string mainDeployState = (string)rCType.GetField("depState").GetValue(realChute);

I just downloaded Deadly Reentry for the first time and ive had RealChutes ( just updated it ). So what is this fix for? Is is crucial? ( if so, what cfg is that line in? I cant find it in DR or RealChute )

And what brings me here... now sorry if this is a dead horse im beating, but how do I add heatshield functionality to pods? If I have too.. for instance BobCat's Orion pod.. the built in heatshieid on that is just a texture so it will not function, yes? How do I tweak that?

I just downloaded Deadly Reentry for the first time and ive had RealChutes ( just updated it ). So what is this fix for? Is is crucial? ( if so, what cfg is that line in? I cant find it in DR or RealChute )

And what brings me here... now sorry if this is a dead horse im beating, but how do I add heatshield functionality to pods? If I have too.. for instance BobCat's Orion pod.. the built in heatshieid on that is just a texture so it will not function, yes? How do I tweak that?

This fix allows the deployed chute to get heated very fast even the chute pack itself is behind the heat-shield. This will disallow players to use parachute during re-entry, if you do, the chute will get heated very fast and might explode several seconds after.

This fix allows the deployed chute to get heated very fast even the chute pack itself is behind the heat-shield. This will disallow players to use parachute during re-entry, if you do, the chute will get heated very fast and might explode several seconds after.

Ohh I see thanks. But what cfg is this line in?

Also... my other inquiries about adding a heatshield to Bobcat's Orion. Or adding heatsheilds in general without adding a heatsheild part. For instance it says for the stock 1 man pods its built in... I don't use stock. I need every capsule that has a modeled heatshield to function as such. If they don't already. Forgive my ignorance.