[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

You're right, but I had this problem WITHOUT using Interstellar Engine or other Interstellar part... Just a couple of KW Rocketry engine, and finally a stock one for testing. The result was the same. So I'll check my mods and see which one is disturbing DRE.

Thanks for the help

Hey Starwaster what kind of data do you need from UX with the latest beta? I just did a direct return from Mun with the Mk1-2 and got zero ablation on the heat shield with Hard mode enabled, FAR installed. I'm not complaining, I just know you need data to tweak things so wondering what you're looking for

Hey Starwaster what kind of data do you need from UX with the latest beta? I just did a direct return from Mun with the Mk1-2 and got zero ablation on the heat shield with Hard mode enabled, FAR installed. I'm not complaining, I just know you need data to tweak things so wondering what you're looking for

Generally I need to know things like Debug Menu settings. In Flight Mode, click the DR icon and there's an option to enable the debug menu. The first 5 items are the ones that control heating. (if you made no changes to the settings then just the difficulty setting is enough). Apoapsis / Periapsis prior to reentry also helps so that I know what kind of reentry you were doing.

Anyway:

Try setting multiplier (should be Heat Multiplier but in the menu it's just Multiplier) to 84. And try setting Density Exponent to 0.5 - 0.8 (the lower the number, the higher the altitude that heating begins during reentry)

One issue with increasing the heat multiplier is that it increases ascent heating, and right now ascent heating is less of a problem than it was pre-6.5

I'm working on a new beta update but I kind of broke things in the update and haven't been able to set aside some time to figure out what I did wrong so I can push out a new update.

(I've been dealing with sick cats, and mine passed away this morning after a month long struggle to heal her. So I'm just not even in a good frame of mind to sit down and debug/code)

Also, as far as data gathering, the next update will have some new debugging options for recording heat (total and peak)

Are the "Normal" settings designed to require using a heat shield? Using a safe reentry angle (20k per) and no heat shield, nothing gets damaged. Even coming straight down from Minmus only burns off extremities, and most pieces stay intact. I tried this with FAR and stock aero. DRE v6.4.0

Edit: I think it might just be that engines makes very effective heat shields. I switched to hard settings and my ship burns up if it's tilted but if I hold surface retrograde (go down engines first) it does just fine.

Edited by TCFirebird

Are the "Normal" settings designed to require using a heat shield? Using a safe reentry angle (20k per) and no heat shield, nothing gets damaged. Even coming straight down from Minmus only burns off extremities, and most pieces stay intact. I tried this with FAR and stock aero. DRE v6.4.0

Edit: I think it might just be that engines makes very effective heat shields. I switched to hard settings and my ship burns up if it's tilted but if I hold surface retrograde (go down engines first) it does just fine.

Engine issue fixed next update. (fixed in the beta too)

I'd try the beta (6.5.2)

It uses a completely different model. Ascent heating is a little kinder.

Thanks! I'll give that try. I should have mentioned I'm currently playing stock size, although I did see the ascent heating too when I was doing some testing with RSS 6.4x.

From what I understand, the latest versions of FAR increase supersonic drag in the upper atmosphere. Kerbin's atmosphere at its boundary is close to what Earth's is at that altitude except that with Earth you have another 61 kilometers in which to experience heating. And your lower Kerbin reentry velocity already means you're not getting much heating before serious deceleration occurs.

You don't say which version you're using or what difficulty setting, but another factor is that the settings for Hard Mode in the latest official aren't very hot for stock Kerbin. And the latest beta is still, well, beta.

For the latest official version, download this file

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/master/DeadlyReentry/HardSettings.cfg

And copy it over the HardSettings.cfg file in the DeadlyReentry folder.

thanks, I was actually using the beta with hard settings, but I just installed the latest official and used that hard setting file you gave me, will update if it worked.

I've been dealing with sick cats, and mine passed away this morning after a month long struggle to heal her. So I'm just not even in a good frame of mind to sit down and debug/code

I know exactly how you feel. Less than 2 weeks ago I put to sleep a cat that was a constant companion for 16 years, after trying to better him for about a month as well. My heart goes out to you.

Generally I need to know things like Debug Menu settings. In Flight Mode, click the DR icon and there's an option to enable the debug menu. The first 5 items are the ones that control heating. (if you made no changes to the settings then just the difficulty setting is enough). Apoapsis / Periapsis prior to reentry also helps so that I know what kind of reentry you were doing.

No settings changed, just set the mode to Hard via the settings window. I entered Kerbin's SOI from Mun at 10,235km and entered the atmosphere with a Pe of 29km traveling around 3.2km/s.

Sorry to hear about your furry companion :/

No settings changed, just set the mode to Hard via the settings window. I entered Kerbin's SOI from Mun at 10,235km and entered the atmosphere with a Pe of 29km traveling around 3.2km/s.

I just noticed in the latest release for beta,the config for Hard mode has the heat multiplier at 1 (it's at 20 in Normal mode). It should be at 20 for both. Once you make that fix, you'll definitely get ablation. I was wondering why hard mode was much easier than normal mode until I noticed that.

Is it supposed to be nearly impossible to find a safe place to mount the 2HOT thermometer where it will be occluded from heat and therefore not blow up?

In the screenshot below I placed several of them atop the command pod, and a few on the side, hoping that at least ONE would survive re-entry but none ever do. They always blow up even when well occluded by the rest of the craft. (As a result I had to take a penalty and fail a temperature scan contract for a location "under 17000m" on the other side of Kerbin from the KSC. It's impossible to make a thermometer survive the re-entry, as far as I can tell. Other items can be occluded and survive. I can put a battery on top and it survives. I can put parachutes on top and they survive, but the thermometer just can't be saved, it seems.

Did something change about how the occlusions are calculated?

CgOzEvD.png

Thanks all for the condolences, Re: My cat, Melificent. She was a sweet beautiful girl and I wish we could have had more time together. (she had trust issues early in her life but when I took her to the vet a week ago she was the most cooperative trusting cat)

Is it supposed to be nearly impossible to find a safe place to mount the 2HOT thermometer where it will be occluded from heat and therefore not blow up?

In the screenshot below I placed several of them atop the command pod, and a few on the side, hoping that at least ONE would survive re-entry but none ever do. They always blow up even when well occluded by the rest of the craft. (As a result I had to take a penalty and fail a temperature scan contract for a location "under 17000m" on the other side of Kerbin from the KSC. It's impossible to make a thermometer survive the re-entry, as far as I can tell. Other items can be occluded and survive. I can put a battery on top and it survives. I can put parachutes on top and they survive, but the thermometer just can't be saved, it seems.

Did something change about how the occlusions are calculated?

http://i.imgur.com/CgOzEvD.png

Nothing has changed regarding how how occlusion is tested. In the situation you present, it's a simple raycast from the thermometer's transform (should be its center, more or less) along its velocity vector. If it strikes something then it is considered shielded.

If a very small part is too close to the surface of what it is attached to then the raycast origin might be inside of the part that should be shielding it. So there won't be a raycast hit detected. I don't recall the thermometer ever having this issue so maybe something changed with the part itself. It's possible to compensate for and I'll look into it for the next update. (I'll update the necessary file as soon as it's fixed and post a link to it so you don't have to wait for the release)

Hey, still having issues with this mod! Now, when it's installed, it won't show any sign of there being a heatshield! and thereby, no way for me to check to see if any ablation is occurring during reentry!

I don't know what that means (no sign of heat shield).

Need a lot more information I need a better description of the problem. Need DRE version, stock Kerbin or RSS. Are the shield parts from a different mod or the DRE shields. Might need logs too.

Shield parts, to my knowledge, were from this mod. I don't go out of my way to get other shields. What i meant by no sign off a heat shield was in the resources table. I use .90 version

Which heat shield specifically? Not all of them are ablative. Only ablative shields have resources. Others are like the shuttle heat shield (aka tiles) and do not ablate.

And not which version of KSP, which version of Deadly Reentry.

And please post a log as detailed in the linked thread below.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229

Which heat shield specifically? Not all of them are ablative. Only ablative shields have resources. Others are like the shuttle heat shield (aka tiles) and do not ablate.

And not which version of KSP, which version of Deadly Reentry.

And please post a log as detailed in the linked thread below.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92229

You'll have to forgive my being vague. At this time, i do not have access to my computer. I inquired on fasa pack to check to see if it was a compatibility issue (I was using frizzank's mercury capsule at last test) I'll get back to u when i get an answer

Ok, Just got an answer back from Frizzank. Here's his answer for all others who may be noticing this issue:

The deadly re-entry module manager needs to be updated. I recently removed the deadly re-entry heat shield references from the cfg files. Stock kerbal is going to have its own heat system soon and I didn't want them conflicting.

Ok, Just got an answer back from Frizzank. Here's his answer for all others who may be noticing this issue:

<missing quote by Frizzank saying DRE support was removed from his parts>

All I can say is I think that was a bizarre thing to do considering that the next KSP update isn't even pushed out to the Experimentals group yet, which is the final stage before an update is released to the public. That's the point at which you can say 'soon'.

If you want to add DRE support back in then pick one of the two configs below based on the size of the part you want to add shielding to. (where it says INSERT_NAME_HERE, replace that with the part name from the part's cfg file)

These are Module Manager configs so make a config file for them and paste the chosen config text into that file. These will patch any part that you apply them to. (remember to replace INSERT_NAME_HERE with the part's name from the part's cfg where it says name =

@PART[INSERT_NAME_HERE]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod
reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle
ablative = AblativeShielding
//conductivity = 0.01
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)
key = 650 0 0 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C
key = 1000 64 0 0 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C
key = 3000 80 0 0 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}
dissipation
{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature
key = 300 0 0 0 // begin ablating at 300 degrees C
key = 500 180 0 0 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 250
maxAmount = 250
}
}

@PART[INSERT_NAME_HERE]:NEEDS[DeadlyReentry]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, -1, 0 // bottom of pod
reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle
ablative = AblativeShielding
//conductivity = 0.01
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)
key = 650 0 0 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C
key = 1000 320 0 0 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C
key = 3000 400 0 0 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}
dissipation
{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature
key = 300 0 0 0 // begin dissipating at 300 degrees C
key = 500 90 0 0 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 1000
maxAmount = 1000
}

}

You can put as many of those as you want into a single file and they can go anywhere in your GameData folder. If you uninstall Deadly Reentry you can leave the above configs alone because they only go into effect if Deadly Reentry is installed. So if KSP 1.0 were to magically appear tomorrow and you don't want the above patches to conflict with stock KSP then you probably are already uninstalling Deadly Reentry which will deactivate the patches ;)

Also note the commented out conductivity line. If these configs are going into a dedicated heat shield part (as opposed to being on a command module part like a Mercury or Apollo capsule) then you can uncomment that and it will insulate whatever is attached to it instead of transmitting a lot of heat to it.

That conductivity thing is changed in the next release if I recall correctly. It would be fine if it looked at combined conductivity, or rather the combined resistance, of both parts when moving heat and not just the part the heat is moving from.

I decided to test out your beta (6.5.2), so here's some feedback. :) I tried it with the 64k mod, with FAR. On Normal settings, a return from Minmus (around 8 km/s) caused my heatshield to overheat and explode within seconds after touching the upper atmosphere, even with an extremely shallow atmosphere-skimming trajectory. Easy setting was even worse.

Haven't tried much else yet, but I'll post again if I find anything significant.