FScience, Science Data Transfer v0.1

L.J. Silver

Hi all,

I've been enjoying campaign a lot in this days, have started one from zero and played a lot with the excuse to "Test" my other "mod" (CCP), had a wonderful time, until yesterday when I got docking ports and realised that couldn't do apollo style missions bringing back mun or Duna samples….

So, tonight i assembled a fast plugin that allows you to transfer science data to all command pods.

It doesn't require new parts on your ships, can transfer science data across existing ships.

It's very crude at the moment, but it gets the job done, i hope to be able to work on it more in the next nights after work, but source code is available with plug in download so ….

FScience download

Current Features :

- Transfer science data from one command pod to another (ModuleScienceContainer class)

- Transfer science data from experiment bays to command pods ( ModuleScienceExperiment > ModuleScienceContainer);

- no new parts needed, works with current vessels.

Let me know of all issues so that as soon as possible i can give a look at them.

UPDATE new version 0.2 released bringing :

V0.2

- Inserted gui in KSP render que, now responds to Hide gui and Pause correctly

- fixed bug with EVA mode with ScT window open

- fixed bug that allowed to transfer "Null" science packages if spamming transfer button

- improved transfer of science data

- added license file to source code

Note :

Huge help from Kerbal Crew Manifest source code to implement a fast gui, so great thanks to vXSovereignXv

License :

This code is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 3 or newer, have fun with the code ;)

Edited by L.J. Silver

Maybe a GUI allowing us to choose which data would be transfered?

Yes, that is needed. Even if at the moment there seems to be no limit to the storable data on a control pod. But definitely a gui to choose what to transfer makes more than sense. Will give it a look tonight.

Was also thinking of making a fast "Science" container part that could be used to store and send back data to kerbin (So that you could create a "science pod" you fill up and shoot back at kerbin from your ship.

Also, added license info to main post.

Maybe also make a science bay for a space station perhaps so that massive amounts of science could be stored in it, and maybe restrict the amount of science you can store on each pod based on crew capacity?(hard mode)

First, without having seen it working: Great! :)

The Forum has been shaking from the demand to be able to transfer data to a return stage!

Second, uuuh, the exploits! ;)

Does transfer mean move from one pod to the other or share with every pod on the craft?

Does it check if the same data is already present in the destination pod?

Does it overwrite? Or save another instance of the same experiment?

From experiment bays to Command Pods?

Quite powerful, basically gives you one extra of every science part as storage to return another experiment back to Kerbin.

See where I am going? ;)

If that is what you are going for, by all means, go for it.

But maybe there could be way to limit the mods capabilities via the cfg file - difficulty modes, so to speak.

Maybe also make a science bay for a space station perhaps so that massive amounts of science could be stored in it, and maybe restrict the amount of science you can store on each pod based on crew capacity?(hard mode)

Cool, never made parts for KSP, gave a fast look at tutorial to make them and it's seems very easy. Will give it a try tonight, at the moment i'm thinking of :

1) Small Science pod (stores small amounts of science data) based on one of the remote controlled Command modules > useful to send back to Kerbin alone (maybe limited to 3 science data storage)

2) Medium Science "tank" > storage tank for science > not a command pod so basically just a ( 4/5 science data? )

3) Large Science "tank" (10 science data ? )

First, without having seen it working: Great! :)

The Forum has been shaking from the demand to be able to transfer data to a return stage!

Second, uuuh, the exploits! ;)

Does transfer mean move from one pod to the other or share with every pod on the craft?

Does it check if the same data is already present in the destination pod?

Does it overwrite? Or save another instance of the same experiment?

From experiment bays to Command Pods?

Quite powerful, basically gives you one extra of every science part as storage to return another experiment back to Kerbin.

See where I am going? ;)

If that is what you are going for, by all means, go for it.

But maybe there could be way to limit the mods capabilities via the cfg file - difficulty modes, so to speak.

Great points, Squad has already implemented a "Capacity" variable in their ScienceData containers, but they are not yet using it in their parts, so you can transfer as many science reports you want to every command module that can store science.

BUT , if i release the parts, i will use the variable and set the "Capacity" variable to some kind of balanced values.

If you transfer data from one pod to another (or from experiment modules), the original data is removed from the source and added to the destination.

All suggestions are more than welcomed especially for new part capacity and mass..

Great thanks for the feedback !

If you put more than one of the same science in a storage unit, the game won't let you quicksave, recover, or space center btw.

Just tried this, placed :

- Material bay data

- 2x Goo canisters data

- Eva report

- Crew Report

- Surface sample

all in 1 Mk1 command pod and, undocked only the MK1 and recovered it recovering all science.

Yeah, just a head's up for bug fixing, I can't save or do anything because of: "NullPointException: Object reference is instance instead of object.

Can you try closing the Sct window before trying to save / recover etc ? In my tests it was always closed.

Happy to say that new 0.2 version is available for download :

FScience download

here is the change log :

V0.2

- Inserted gui in KSP render que, now responds to Hide gui and Pause correctly

- fixed bug with EVA mode with ScT window open

- fixed bug that allowed to transfer "Null" science packages if spamming transfer button

- improved transfer of science data

- added license file to source code

Also, discovered that Hitchikers module is a "ModuleScienceContainer" as the command pods, so already now, with FScience plugin you can transfer you data to Hitchikers for storage in orbit.

Try replicating my bug with Radial Science Storage mod installed, because I have that mod installed so it might be causing problems.

Just downloaded Radially Attached Experimental Data Storage Container, created a vessel with a lander can on the bottom, 2 radial containers and on a second stage a mk1 command pod.

>2 radial containers filled with Surface samples in EVA

>1 Surface sample aboard lander can.

> Transferred all science to MK1

> Decoupled MK1

> Recovered lander can with no science aboard (with 2 empty radial containers)

> Recovered MK1 with 3 surface samples.

In short, working correctly for me. The more details you provide the more i can try to help.

When my bug happened, I landed down in the ocean somewhere on Kerbin, maybe splashing down has something to do with it?

But did it happen with latest version (0.2 posted a few hours ago) ? If not, i'm quite sure it is solved. Just finished testing a bunch of landings (water included) and it always worked.

Let me know and thanks for reporting.

Will this plugin allow you to transfer results from, say, a materials lab or Mystery Goo canister so you can run multiple experiments during the flight on one item and store all the data?

Also, I dunno if anyone else mentioned it, but could you make this a part and put it in the tech tree somewhere as a 'Science Data Storage Computer' and make it available at, like, tier 3 or something? That way you can, as your research becomes more advanced, store multiple data sets from long flights from experiments that don't have their own storage.

To empty my brain into your thread once more:

Can your mod limit the type of science data and their number (per biome, so every single experiment really) that can go into a pod/part?

I am all for archiving log files: EVAs, crew reports, instrument (new-old science gizmo) readouts.

Data loss for transmitting these remains debatable, but transmitting also requires lots of power and is therefore limiting at design and during flight, storing them is faster and makes the craft easier to built.

Stuffing empty snack containers in the pod with surface samples as the mission goes on works for me too.

They should not be transmittable at all, description of the rocks is done during EVA together with pretty pictures and diary entries.

Having a container with limited space for unmanned probes to automatically collect samples, OK.

If more samples are to be collected the probe either needs more containers or has to unload at a mothership.

When it comes to goo containers and material bays I start to bite my lips regarding the ability using them more than once and if the results should be transmittable at all. As an upgrade this feels less like breaking the intended gameplay again.

(An additional part with a stack of replacemant materials/goos - doubling as a stasis unit for the results.)

Vision:

All logs go into an archiving device, more disk space for storing multiple EVAs of the same area, more crew reports, lots of instrument readouts.

Samples fit into the crew pods and additional containers - automatic sampling probes need their own container anyway.

Experiments require a special part for the delicate storage needed.

Capacity should not be unlimited. If this is not possible, multiple storage devices for more than one specific EVA (for instance) are still less demanding than multiple crew pods - which to do the same for the stock game currently.

Progression:

The need for a different (yet smallish) part and limiting their storage space makes science easier gradually while unlocking the tech tree/new parts, but still sets a different obstacle as to how many parts can easily be stuffed onto a craft.

First only the pod for storage like it is now

Then a part enabling the transfer of data (and stuff)

Followed by a data storage device with space for multiples of the same science

Later a secure container for the experiments of the science bays

Somewhere inbetween sample collecters and containers for unmanned probes

Tried to be brief, I swear, but also wanted to outline some details.

Small bug: If you have Mission Controller Extended and this plugin installed at the same time, the buttons overlap. I can't find a config entry anywhere to change the location of the Sct button in the interface, and the MCE button always gets the mouse click instead of the Sct button.

Suggestions for .03

Well, after reading Kerb's post, I can't think of too many more. Not sure you'll be able to handle EVA samples differently.

But a suggestion that comes to mind while coasting through minmus's SOI. The destination panel really needs a get all button.

If you have a lot of sensors on your craft (which you will have before long) going through the list and clicking on each and then the transfer button is a lot of clicking. Ideally, a 'Get all' button could have it go through all the imputs (except the destination) and transfer the experiment data to the chosen destination and be grey'd out if no destination has been selected.

I know it's not your GUI code so I don't know if that is something you can do or not, but it would be very helpful :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.