[1.5.X] Rover Wheel Sounds v2.3 (2016-10-24)

pizzaoverhead

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Version 1.3 is now available! It adds a cfg option to disable sounds when in vacuum (soundInVacuum), and now supports part modules which inherit from ModuleWheel (thanks to civilwargeeky for bringing this to my attention). As of this version, Rover Wheel Sounds no longer includes Module Manager, as the included file quickly gets very out of date. Be sure to check for the latest version.

• 1 month later...
On 18/11/2015 at 8:16 AM, Azimech said:

Great! Does this mean other wheels can have sounds as well, like those from Modular Multiwheels?

This mod extends ModuleWheel, so any wheel mods which use the stock wheel system are compatible. Modular Multiwheels was made before the stock wheel system was compatible, so it has its own different way of doing things.

• 3 months later...

Random note for you Pizzaoverhead! In my own past game I lowered the pitch for all wheel sounds by 1 octave so they would sound a bit more rumbly. I did the same with your collision effect sound too and it's fantastic. :) - Just a little thing I did myself which I thought you might like to test.

Two releases in one day! Rover Wheel Sounds 2.1 is now available! With the pre release's new wheel system that makes skidding more common and fun, I've added a sound effect to skidding your rover. Also, as skidding to hard now destroys your wheels, you'll hear the bang when it happens. No more wondering why your rover has suddenly slowed down!

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Random note for you Pizzaoverhead! In my own past game I lowered the pitch for all wheel sounds by 1 octave so they would sound a bit more rumbly. I did the same with your collision effect sound too and it's fantastic. :) - Just a little thing I did myself which I thought you might like to test.

Thanks, I'll have to test that one out, or even make it available in the configuration file!

Edited by pizzaoverhead

1 hour ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Two releases in one day! Rover Wheel Sounds 2.1 is now available! With the pre release's new wheel system that makes skidding more common and fun, I've added a sound effect to skidding your rover. Also, as skidding to hard now destroys your wheels, you'll hear the bang when it happens. No more wondering why your rover has suddenly slowed down!

Thanks, I'll have to test that one out, or even make it available in the configuration file!

:confused: that would be a dream come true man! As it is I replace the sound files with lowered duplicates. A pretty simple process unless you're doing similar deals with 10 others as well :).

15 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

hahaha, i did the same a while ago

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2016 at 10:22 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

Version 2.2 is now out! It fixes error log spam (yellow clock) when wheels that are disabled due to clipping are present. It also adds configuration options for pitch control, and an updated config file that uses these.

So good to have this for 1.1, thank you sir. I can start plugging it back in to Rovers & Roadsters.

Any thoughts on where to find some decent licence free sound clips for combustion engines?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone suggested that additional sounds could be layered on depending on the surface travelled over? I feel like some places should sound gravelly and I guess grass would be pretty quiet to travel over.

Edit: Oh and sounds for wheels trying to move while the breaks are on?

Edited by THX1138

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ۱۳۹۵/۴/۶ ه‍.ش. at 6:20 PM, THX1138 said:

Has anyone suggested that additional sounds could be layered on depending on the surface travelled over? I feel like some places should sound gravelly and I guess grass would be pretty quiet to travel over.

Edit: Oh and sounds for wheels trying to move while the breaks are on?

I'm not sure if it would be possible. Normally when you see this sort of stuff in unity, the developers add some sort of tag on objects and materials, then they track down what is beneath us depending on these tags to choose the sound. I don't think KSP has anything like that.

1 hour ago, Fwiffo said:

Since nobody on this thread asked about it yet, I figured I'd give a friendly bump and inquire if there's a KSP 1.2 compatible version of this mod in the works.  Myself and other folks would love that!

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know it was broken! I've been away from development for a while, but it looks like update time has arrived again!

21 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

I'm not sure if it would be possible. Normally when you see this sort of stuff in unity, the developers add some sort of tag on objects and materials, then they track down what is beneath us depending on these tags to choose the sound. I don't think KSP has anything like that.

There are a couple of ways to do this. I already have appropriate code that's currently used determine what colour the dust should be for CollisionFX. To figure out what kind of ground you're on, it checks what biome the vessel is in. Kerbal Foundaries takes a different approach for its dust colours: It uses a one-pixel camera to periodically view the colour of the ground under the vessel.

Knowing what kind of surface you're on is only half the battle. The difficulty in finding good quality audio samples for each surface type is the only reason this hasn't been implemented yet.

On 02/08/2016 at 1:34 PM, Azimech said:

Bug report: skid sounds won't be disabled and aren't configurable (volume). KSP 1.1.3.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

On 28/04/2016 at 3:00 PM, AlphaAsh said:

So good to have this for 1.1, thank you sir. I can start plugging it back in to Rovers & Roadsters.

Any thoughts on where to find some decent licence free sound clips for combustion engines?

As I mentioned above, it's very difficult to find good sound clips. I get all of mine from freesound.org, with a little bit of editing, but if you find anything better, please let me know!

1 minute ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know it was broken! I've been away from development for a while, but it looks like update time has arrived again!

There are a couple of ways to do this. I already have appropriate code that's currently used determine what colour the dust should be for CollisionFX. To figure out what kind of ground you're on, it checks what biome the vessel is in. Kerbal Foundaries takes a different approach for its dust colours: It uses a one-pixel camera to periodically view the colour of the ground under the vessel.

Knowing what kind of surface you're on is only half the battle. The difficulty in finding good quality audio samples for each surface type is the only reason this hasn't been implemented yet.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

As I mentioned above, it's very difficult to find good sound clips. I get all of mine from freesound.org, with a little bit of editing, but if you find anything better, please let me know!

Well, I would suggest going with the best quality you found and publish the mod, that would help fixing bugs in time you are looking for better sound effects

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.