[1.5.X] Rover Wheel Sounds v2.3 (2016-10-24)

pizzaoverhead

Hey, I certainly absolutely don't mean to belittle or insult what you're doing here- quite the opposite in fact- but the sound the wheels make is... pretty awful. It sounds cool and science-fictiony, but having some experience with servo-powered wheels I can tell you they don't sound anything like that. They certainly shouldn't have that harmonizing effect you see towards the end of the video.

I have a professional quality microphone and some old robots and parts lying around; I'll see if I can get you some better examples of what a rover would sound like.

Good quality sound sources are hard to come by. I don't own a quality microphone, so the sounds are freely licenced ones from www.freesound.org. The one in the mod currently is from a drill as far as I remember. If you can record new ones, that would be great!

The harmonising effect is due to each of the wheels playing the same sound in nearly the same phase. You can hear it when firing multiple rocket engines in the stock game. I have fixed that for the next release by seeking a random amount into the sound file so that each wheel isn't making exactly the same sound at a given time.

Hey, I certainly absolutely don't mean to belittle or insult what you're doing here- quite the opposite in fact- but the sound the wheels make is... pretty awful. It sounds cool and science-fictiony, but having some experience with servo-powered wheels I can tell you they don't sound anything like that. They certainly shouldn't have that harmonizing effect you see towards the end of the video.

I have a professional quality microphone and some old robots and parts lying around; I'll see if I can get you some better examples of what a rover would sound like.

How about the rover sound effect in official video?

• 4 weeks later...
Is pizzaoverhead still working on it ? I have installed it but wheels make any sounds at all (on Kerbin ;) ). Tired of stealth rovers :mad:

I'm still working on it! Did it install properly? The WheelSounds folder and ModuleManager file should be next to the Squad folder. It also only works on stock wheels unless you add them to ModuleManager_WheelSounds.cfg yourself. If all that is ok, check your output_log.txt for any WheelSound errors.

Great :).

My bad, in fact it doesn't work for the wheels I use the most ! It's ok for RoverMax S2 and XL3, but not for M1 and TR-2L, which match exactly your mod specs in the 1st page ;), so I have to change my question to "when will you plan to work on/release sounds for these two wheels (M1/TR-2L) ?"

The existing sounds are nice, need more practice with them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know if you've found any new sounds for this yet, but while i was looking for some sounds for use in my personal game, I found this page. Maybe you can find some sounds you like here.

personally I think either this one, or this one, sounds good for the little wheels, maybe lower the pitch on the first one a little.

Edited by stryth

KSP 23.5 crashes for me when first loading up the game if I have this plugin (version 0.5) installed.
Could it be possible to remove/disable log spam please ?

I'll check it out.

I don't know if you've found any new sounds for this yet, but while i was looking for some sounds for use in my personal game, I found this page. Maybe you can find some sounds you like here.

personally I think either this one, or this one, sounds good for the little wheels, maybe lower the pitch on the first one a little.

Sounddogs is a sound effects shop. I'd rather not purchase anything for a free addon. freesound.org has been very useful however.

@pizzaoverhead could you use coolrockets mod to add a little smoke under the wheels when there being used ?

This could be done, even without coolrockets. I've been thinking of adding tyre tracks and skidmarks too once I have the time. Firespitter adds tyre smoke when planes contact the ground for example.

• 1 month later...

I just tried this and the sounds don't play, I run a fair amount of other mods so it might be that, testing with a stock install shortly.

I see this warning in my log when I drive. (see edit)

[WRN 20:15:29.083] Can not play a disabled audio source

I checked that the sound module is added to the wheel and the sound files are loaded.

I need this mod, no more silent driving, I want it so much. Please help :P

Edit: tested in a stock install, no luck. The log message however is not related. That pops up on each unpause even with no mods loaded whatsoever...

Edited by the_bT
more info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.