Space Engineers

RocketTurtle

Didn't make my warlock (it's a BIG ship, and quite complex), so I did a concept ship based around the idea of having a corridor running the length of the ship that could accommodate a shuttle or fighter. I'm not super pleased with the exterior look (it's quite plain, especially compared to my Frigate), and I could probably touch up the route to the helm a tad (also, missing weapons), but I am quite pleased with the ship overall, and the whole flying a fighter concept does work, though I seem to have misplaced my fighter (no matter, it wasn't a good design). This cruiser also has asymmetrical armour (I like asymmetrical interiors anyway), with a double thick hull on the starboard side protecting the reactors and enough gryroscopes to get the ship to turn.

The Frigate is 1,034 metric tonnes, produces 4,536 GW and comes equipped with 10 gyroscopes and 27 thrusters (7 large). For comparison, the Cruiser clocks in at a mighty 6,182 metric tonnes, produces 13,608 GW (it has some extra capacity...) and comes with 100 gyroscopes, and 53 thrusters (of which 35 are large). I found it particularly interesting how the effects of inertia and momentum apply to the larger ship, since with 10 times the gyro's and at only 600% of the total mass, you might expect that the cruiser would turn extremly well, maybe even better. I actually had to nearly double the number I originally had because the turning, and the time to stop turning, was appalling, and it's still only a fraction of the frigates performance. Acceleration is more what I expected. It has roughly 3x the thrust accelerating forward, and while I haven't clocked it in yet, I'd say acceleration is around 40%-50% of the frigate, as expected.

If you want to see my setup for yourselves, I have my main save in the workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191474420

Hmm, might drag me back into the game a bit sooner than I had anticipated. Not planning on building my 3rd planned ship anytime soon though, too large, and I have a likely not irrational fear that saves might lose compatibility at some point (though it looks like they have taken efforts to prevent that).

Might crank out a destroyer though. Something bigger than the last patrol ship that could carry a couple fighters.

• 2 weeks later...

New update has come, adding symmetry mode to ship construction and increasing astronaut speed to 105 m/s and letting you turn off inertial damping. Also, cargo pods now have items in them, though there isn't much to do with them yet.

Next update looks like it might be 64bit capable, but we will have to wait and see. Still no word on multiplayer or survival mode yet.

WEEEAAAPPOONNNSSSS.

Please? :3

If you take the Uranium ingots out of the large reactors on the quickstart maps, and throw them through a ring(or 3) of 10 gravity generators, the results are...interesting.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196550403

Now here's the fun bit: that screenshot is facing towards the grav-cannon. The ingot clipped through about a third of the ship before deciding to wreck the place. My next ship is so having one of those as a main weapon.

Edited by Pyre
IMG tags didn't work, chagnged to link

I'm terrible at this game, but I don't care.

Everyone's making epic spaceships, and I'm just sitting here trying to build a decent station.

EDIT: So I accidentally Alt-F4ed trying to take a screenshot (why the screenshot button is F4 is a very good question) and now the game crashes every time I load up the world. Good job, game.

Edited by SuperWeegee4000

I'm terrible at this game, but I don't care.

Everyone's making epic spaceships, and I'm just sitting here trying to build a decent station.

EDIT: So I accidentally Alt-F4ed trying to take a screenshot (why the screenshot button is F4 is a very good question) and now the game crashes every time I load up the world. Good job, game.

Sounds like your world got corrupted. Does the game still crash if you try to load a new one?

In other news, we have another update! Copy/Paste/Delete functions are now in the game, which makes testing crash resistance much easier. We also have the beacon block, which puts a marker on your HUD that tells you how far away it is.

Sounds like your world got corrupted. Does the game still crash if you try to load a new one?

In other news, we have another update! Copy/Paste/Delete functions are now in the game, which makes testing crash resistance much easier. We also have the beacon block, which puts a marker on your HUD that tells you how far away it is.

Nah, I can load other worlds, but I'm a little cheesed off about an hour of work going down the drain. Working on a large ship now anyway.

Here is a base I'm working on, built into an asteroid. It's not yet finished, but I have the basics set up.

Space_Engineers_2013_11_22_15_03_21_280_Final_Scre.png

The landing pad, with a Hopper spacecraft locked in.

Space_Engineers_2013_11_22_15_03_03_441_Final_Scre.png

Inside the pressurized section, coming in from the triple-door airlock.

Space_Engineers_2013_11_22_15_04_04_122_Final_Scre.png

A splendiferous view of nothing.

Space_Engineers_2013_11_22_15_04_28_099_Final_Scre.png

Full side view.

Space_Engineers_2013_11_22_15_05_16_305_Final_Scre.png

Edited by SuperWeegee4000

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am resurrecting this thread, because Space engineers added planets, and some new enemies to the game(think starship troopers :) )

I have not played it in months, but They seem to have been putting in WORK, and I might just have to get into this again. Incredible.

I am resurrecting this thread, because Space engineers added planets, and some new enemies to the game(think starship troopers :) )

I have not played it in months, but They seem to have been putting in WORK, and I might just have to get into this again. Incredible.

same i was delaying and delaying since the oxygen update. Following SE update logs while trying and contributing to a few other project.

we need to pratice that tech to play many game at the same time i guess xDr

Does is also run smoother now?

I didn't for me in the past.

Planets are, for me, more FPS hungry then the previous version. Off the surface, however, (In space) the game runs as it used to, perhaps better. Though without a graphics card of any sort I'm sure I am not a good baseline.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.